Nintendo Switch

Personally, I'm kinda inclined to wait now that the shortcomings are in light. If the framerate stuff is really true, I'm willing to wager odds within a year there will be either a Pro or simply an updated model with the newer Tegra instead of the roughly 2 year old "customized" one they're using in the Switch now. And they'll have to be redesigning the one joycon side since apparently they have crappy placement design internally. That'll also give time for the other better titles to come out like Mario Odyssey and such, and maybe a BoW price drop.

A new model within a year? Probably after 2 years. The library is kinda barren right now, still waiting for any news on the virtual console. I'm loving my purchase though, can't wait for the rpgs to arrive.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
my thoughts on the just finished switch direct are mostly positive overall but the new arms character minmin looks sort of bad. her special glove is a dragon's head that shoots out a stationary laser for a couple of seconds limiting her own mobility for the next few moments. it might have some potential in zoning and leading opponents but it looks pretty easily punishable. On the other hand, though, the splatoon 2 trailer they showed looked pretty promising. i found the trailer pretty funny as well as creative. the new tower defense gamemode looks polished not to mention fun too, it has everything it needs to be a successful gamemode in and of itself, let's just hope there's a good variety in maps.

nothing else of note other than perhaps sonic mania but that's old news, the other sonic game also looks like it has potential but then again it seems very generations 2.0

I'm getting a Switch at the end of the month or early into May at latest. The Puyo Puyo Tetris hype is hard to resist.

I'm thinking of adding Mario Kart 8 deluxe and perhaps a second JoyCon to the combo, but I'm not sure about adding a third game.

(Breath the Wild is out of consideration - I don't have anything against it but I almost always stop playing open-world games early on)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So ARMS.

I had a blast playing it on the Global Testpunch today. The fighting is tight and crisp with easy to understand controls. Combat seems very Smash Bros.-esque (rock-paper-scissors-esque I suppose?) where punch beats grab beats guard beats punch. The characters each have their own flair, with Minmin being my favorite from the group you could play as. Online play was very fluid with little wait time between matches which was very, very nice considering how some games take forever to load online matches. Matches are also short enough that you don't ever lose the feeling of intensity during a match and I'm sure that they are only short at this point because of people still getting used to the game-play. I guarantee you that in a year's time, ARMS gameplay meta will probably evolve into longer match-times because people with higher skill will know how to control the length of a match without straight spamming punch or grab.

So, thoughts?

My Nintendo Switch (alongside a Pro Controller, Mario Kart 8 and Puyo Puyo Tetris) has just got home.

My very first real non-handheld Nintendo console (closest thing I ever got before was the "Family Game", a pirated NES that was extremely popular back then in South America)... and now I have to wait a good 10 hours at best to use it >.<

A bit late to respond what with E3 being last week but they're doing a core game for the Switch. Get on with it!
Shame it's not coming for at least a year, but better a game done right than a game rushed out. Will be picking one up, probably not tomorrow as money's a bit tight (fuck bills) but for christmas at the latest. Mario Odysee looks amazing as well. Has Galaxy finally met its match?

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Shame it's not coming for at least a year, but better a game done right than a game rushed out. Will be picking one up, probably not tomorrow as money's a bit tight (fuck bills) but for christmas at the latest. Mario Odysee looks amazing as well. Has Galaxy finally met its match?
Odyssey looks absolutely stunning. I'd honestly suggest you check out some of the gameplay on Youtube if you want to know what to expect (it looks extremely fun/well polished). imo Odyssey is easily capable of topping Galaxy in quality and maybe even SM64 too. I might be getting a tiny bit ahead of myself but Odyssey is seriously shaping up to be a masterpiece.

I think overall Nintendo made a really smart move in releasing the Switch and that this year has been really strong for them so far with the release of SMO + BOTW. One could argue that ARMS is also good and while it does indeed seem to be a promising new ip I've heard read mixed reviews. Still though I'm really excited for this year and what's to come in 2018 as well which will see the release of Prime 4 and a mons game on the Switch as was mentioned earlier.

Oh I have seen the gameplay footage - it looks incredible from what I've seen.

SPlatoon 2 also looks fun, had a blast with the first. Looking forward to Yooka Laylee as well, nice to see 3D platformers aren't completely dead.

Will be picking up a Switch for sure.

Anyone here play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? I just got it the other day and I'm looking for some people to play with.

My friend code is 0525-2573-0229

I got my Switch last Monday and it's been a blast so far. Well, mostly a Puyo blast but you get the point. Well, okay, it was more of a Tetris blast than a Puyo blast (as I need to hone those Tetris skills) but whatever.

It says enough that my mother, who was utterly shocked that I spent so much on a console, praised how convenient the Switch's hybrid, play-anywhere nature is, after driving me and my brother away from the TV to keep playing Mario Kart 8... on the table, as if nothing had happened before.

Conni

katharsis
I just got the Nintendo switch three days ago and the graphics blew my mind, especially when I played breath of the wild, and since Zelda games' aesthetics's have never disappointed me, I'd expect that the graphics of this game would be good, but boy I was wrong becuse it was great. The gameplay, plot and the aesthetics are just overwhelming. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is also very fun especially on the TV with a friend since you get to see them fail big time haha. But the Ninentdo switch is such a creative console because it's the handheld consoles and Wii series combined which is always great. Although how much I love the Nintendo switch I still also enjoy play on older consoles like the 3DS, DSi heck even my GameBoy still works but I'm pretty sure the only game I have in there is like My Little Pony adventures and idk why but I guess I liked playing that when I was a kid. Looking forward to more Nintendo Switch games, especially Pokémon ones because GameFreak always finds something innovative to add with new consoles.

I got a Switch with Zelda today. The game is really fun, if a bit disorienting (things look so much closer than they actually are when you look at them from a peak).

Are there any other games besides Splatoon 2 and Disgea 5 that are worth buying? I'm not going to buy Mario Kart since I already own it on Wii U and Arms doesn't really interest me.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I got a Switch with Zelda today. The game is really fun, if a bit disorienting (things look so much closer than they actually are when you look at them from a peak).

Are there any other games besides Splatoon 2 and Disgea 5 that are worth buying? I'm not going to buy Mario Kart since I already own it on Wii U and Arms doesn't really interest me.
atm no

Gotta wait until August for Kingdom Battle and Fall for Odyssey/Xenoblade 2.

I highly recommend ARMS because it is actually a very very fun and addicting game. It's kind of Smash Bros-esque in nature which gives it a lot of that replayability that Smash has.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Shovel Knight if you don't have it already. While it's a multiplat, I personally would never play a platformer on PC and it looks great on the Switch.

Based on your Roderick avatar, I assume you're already planning to get Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch when it comes out in a couple months.

I've heard the Bomberman game is pretty good.

Puyo Puyo Tetris if you like puzzle games. It even has a competitive part to extend its playability.

(I think I'm the only person in the planet that owns the Switch but not Breath of the Wild lol)

Last edited:
So I saw the Nintendo direct today- lots of good stuff coming. Much better third party support than the Wii U had, the Switch is getting an updated port of LA Noire my favourite Rockstar game, as well as ports of Doom and Wolfenstein 2. While they probably won't look as good on the Switch, being able to play on the go will certainly be a good selling point. I wish i had more money... living on your own sucks sometimes.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this for huge news.

It's been discovered that the 4.0 update added compatibility with the GameCube adapter. Haven't tested it myself, but it apparently works with literally every Switch game. Maybe this points to GCN Virtual Console in the future, or the perpetually rumored Smash 4 port?

Also, Odyssey is coming out this Friday so that's pretty hype.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)