SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Oh well, so it's canon, eh. Granted, it's kinda short, but I suppose since it is children's anime, we shouldn't think too much about it. At least they are indeed married in the game so this is just a nod to that.

How Nebby just left like that though, I don't feel like I like it. How long has Nebby been with the gang? I felt like he could or could have stayed with them longer. It's just done that easy because the writers can't let Ash has a legendary, huh?

I wonder how they'll go as Ultra Guardian now and how U-SM will unfold. I hope this may mean more actions and plots than rounding around everyday shenanigans....

Judging by the upcoming ep titles, the next few eps are just going to be fillers again, one of the first eps in January just a rotomdex filler, so I wouldn't expect anything important for a while. I wonder if things in SM just feel a bit more rushed than usual due to the huge main cast this saga? Granted things are happening quickly, but when you don't have Ash with a typical travel group and have like 10 major recurring characters in SM, it's hard to focus on everyone.

This is the first time pokemon had a wedding episode, it took 20 years but it finally happened. I think we only saw some stuff like this before in a few of Brock's fantasies when he was thinking about marrying a Nurse Joy or whatever. I also liked that Ash knew what a wedding was, some writers make Ash more dense about love than others, whereas in reality he seems to have a basic understanding of it. I guess some writers just like playing up his obliviousness to it more than others.

I'm wondering what Lillie's role will be for the rest of SM now that her arc is over. Usually the writers neglect characters or shove them to the sidelines when they're "done" with them, like Johto era Misty, DP era Brock, or Max in the latter half of AG. It might be hard to keep them all relevant, or if any of the other SM characters get increased roles.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So if Serebii is right, Pokemon is going to have it's 1,000 episode! What is episode 1k going to be? Maybe having Gary visit the Alola region and he and Ash have a battle, Ash and him calling Oak to form a team of their most powerful Pokemon? Or how about introducing the Poke Pelago and Ash has to call over all his Pokemon (or at least the ons at Professor Oak's) to help Mohn build it up? Or maybe have Ash come home for a few days and make it a sort of clip episode where Ash hears about news about his past companions (maybe even get to talk with them or at least some of them) as well as visiting all his Pokemon in Oak's lab... and have a battle with Gary.

... huh? Oh, it's just going to be a Rotom Dex filler episode? Well, I guess that's fine. If the writers don't care had lasted for over a thousand episodes, a monumental achievement that most franchises only dream of even achieving half or even 10% of that, why should we? I'm not even angry, I'm just disappointed . *Walks out the room and seconds later a loud, frustrated yell can be heard*

Technically it did have its 1,000th episode, Japan advertised it as one of the Lillie eps in the Aether arc. They counted some of the Alan specials and a few other eps as regular episodes, so that adds up to.

Overall though, Japan considers each saga of pokemon its own separate series. That's why the episode count restarts. It's really only in the west people view it as one long continuous series. It's also why continuity and old characters returning between each sagas has lessened in recent years, because the writers now consider each saga its own separate thing. For the obvious reason they don't expect kids to go back and watch 800+ episodes they missed, and because all the previous fans are expected to outgrow the anime when they become adults and move on.

This is why I find it odd you see some 25-30 year old adults online whining about past characters or sagas...the writers don't expect people who watched the Kanto saga 20 years ago to still be following the anime. Same reason all those people obsessing over Misty or Brock or whoever are generally wasting their time, outside of brief nostalgic cameos, the anime has moved on and now millions of kids grew up watching the anime over the last 15 years long after the end of the original seasons. It's times like this you think people forget the anime has been running for 20 years and isn't going to cater to your nostalgic childhood, especially when you realize there are kids who grew up with Hoenn, Sinnoh, BW, etc. as their first sagas instead.

This is why I find it odd you see some 25-30 year old adults online whining about past characters or sagas....
It seems you underestimate how big of an impression the original pokemon series has left behind in the world. Back then people weren't any where near as connected as they are today and pokemon STILL took the world by storm. Those 25-30yo are simply the kids who were in the middle of it, so it's not odd at all for them to be reminiscing of that time and I'll be damned if 25-30yo japanese fans aren't whining about the same things.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Technically it did have its 1,000th episode, Japan advertised it as one of the Lillie eps in the Aether arc. They counted some of the Alan specials and a few other eps as regular episodes, so that adds up to.

Overall though, Japan considers each saga of pokemon its own separate series. That's why the episode count restarts. It's really only in the west people view it as one long continuous series. It's also why continuity and old characters returning between each sagas has lessened in recent years, because the writers now consider each saga its own separate thing. For the obvious reason they don't expect kids to go back and watch 800+ episodes they missed, and because all the previous fans are expected to outgrow the anime when they become adults and move on.

This is why I find it odd you see some 25-30 year old adults online whining about past characters or sagas...the writers don't expect people who watched the Kanto saga 20 years ago to still be following the anime. Same reason all those people obsessing over Misty or Brock or whoever are generally wasting their time, outside of brief nostalgic cameos, the anime has moved on and now millions of kids grew up watching the anime over the last 15 years long after the end of the original seasons. It's times like this you think people forget the anime has been running for 20 years and isn't going to cater to your nostalgic childhood, especially when you realize there are kids who grew up with Hoenn, Sinnoh, BW, etc. as their first sagas instead.
I re-quote myself:

If the writers don't care had lasted for over a thousand episodes, a monumental achievement that most franchises only dream of even achieving half or even 10% of that, why should we?
Like, okay, makes sense that they want to have each generation stand on its own and not require newer viewers to watch 800+ past episodes. That's fine. But, like it or not, the anime IS a long and continued series as long as Ash is the main character. Now, my mistake to assume they didn't at least mention the anime as reached 1000 episode and I guess it was at least focused on an important character... but at the same time that would be an episode that would have happened anyway 1000th episode or not. The Kanto visit episode was more like a 1000th episode special. It feels the writers don't care they're writing for a series that had lasted for decades, so I ask if the writers don't care than why should any one else, both old and new viewers alike? Like if Pokemon Company decides to end the anime, I don't feel the current anime writers would care (or they would be annoyed they lost an easy paycheck, but surely not they lost a chance to tell stories and ideas using the Pokemon franchise). Is it wrong for me to ask the writers to consider the Pokemon anime had lasted over 1000 episodes be considered a special event? Is it wrong for me to ask to see important characters, locations, mechanics, and storylines from the games be given some significant screen time? Is it wrong of me to want to see the Pokemon world brought to life and the interesting stories within in ways only animation can and not just be given filler fluff filled slice of life show with what little story they do include being dragged out and then rushed along last second because they didn't plan properly and caught off guard with the release of the next games?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.

If you are correct why does the most recent, and the upcoming movie focus on Old Ash?

It does cater, Pikachu and Ash never left the show... Jesse, James, Meowth are consistent, and the elements of the show: facing experts, saving the world, and using creatures to do so (while befriending them) has stayed as well.
Hard to say there isn’t any nostalgia if you acknowledge what has stayed, rather than focus on only what has changed.

I noticed that only Popplio didn't seem to get sleepy when they try their impromptu choir to teach Sing. Everyone else looked tired, but it looked happily singing. Fair enough, it can learn that in its level up movepool. I just kinda hope, at least it'll evolve? Since, singing is the central theme of its evolved forms.

... I wonder how they'll show the evolved starters later in the anime too now. We haven't seen Toracat yet the last movie had Incineroar. Rowlet's relatives aren't there at all yet, and we had a Brionne when Lana mastered Z-Water.

I think I'm thinking a little too far....

While I agree not doing anything special with such an epic milestone is kinda lame, well... remember the series you're talking about has never been very good. Kalos in particular felt like they really didn't care about the franchise any more, with Ash getting a speshful bond transformation that hastily got added to the games for marketing and all the Serena pointless idol nonsense. And this comes from someone that loves stuff like Aikatsu and PriPara!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While I agree not doing anything special with such an epic milestone is kinda lame, well... remember the series you're talking about has never been very good.
That's not a good excuse, actually that's not an excuse at all. While the Pokemon anime isn't anything that'll blow your mind, I would argue that the purpose of the Pokemon anime is to bring life to the Pokemon world and the being who live in it. From Kanto to Sinnoh it felt like tried to do their best to adapt to what's in the games into the show while also doing their own ideas (though they did drop the ball during Sinnoh when it came to it's Battle Frontier). However things (really) fell apart when Gen V came around which had a more complicated story yet the anime writers still tried writing it as they did for previous generations... and was thrown for a bigger loop with B2W2. After that it felt like the writers got bored writing a Pokemon anime so decided to follow trends, Kalos was a mash of shonen and idol anime, and now XY feels like a slice of life (probably due to the success of Yokai! Watch). And it's sad because the Pokemon anime can be good, we've seen it with Kanto to Sinnoh (and even Unova to Alola had good parts), it's just the writers stopped caring.

That's not a good excuse, actually that's not an excuse at all. While the Pokemon anime isn't anything that'll blow your mind, I would argue that the purpose of the Pokemon anime is to bring life to the Pokemon world and the being who live in it. From Kanto to Sinnoh it felt like tried to do their best to adapt to what's in the games into the show while also doing their own ideas (though they did drop the ball during Sinnoh when it came to it's Battle Frontier). However things (really) fell apart when Gen V came around which had a more complicated story yet the anime writers still tried writing it as they did for previous generations... and was thrown for a bigger loop with B2W2. After that it felt like the writers got bored writing a Pokemon anime so decided to follow trends, Kalos was a mash of shonen and idol anime, and now XY feels like a slice of life (probably due to the success of Yokai! Watch). And it's sad because the Pokemon anime can be good, we've seen it with Kanto to Sinnoh (and even Unova to Alola had good parts), it's just the writers stopped caring.
Fair enough, sorry for coming off as rude there. Still, like you said they stopped caring which is probably why they did nothing special. Shame about that.

Are you sure it's the 1000th episode ?

From Bulbapedia : (Japanese: ロトム、フォルムチェンジが止まらない! Rotom, Can't Stop the Form Change!) is the 57th episode of the Sun & Moon series, and the 996th episode of the Pokémon anime. It is scheduled to air in Japan on January 11, 2018.

But Serebii said it's the 1000th episode. Maybe they don't count the banned episode ? And maybe the real 1000th (that could be 1004 really) will be woooooow

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Fair enough, sorry for coming off as rude there. Still, like you said they stopped caring which is probably why they did nothing special. Shame about that.
And sorry if I came off rude or mad at you, I think it's been well documented how annoyed I am at the current writers who can have great ideas but instead deliver us generic shlock. Thinking it over, the writers are more character focused than world building focused, so maybe they should hire a group of writers (who played the games) who can handle creating scenarios delving into locations and mechanics of the games (including where battles should happen; they can work together to figure out how the battles go).

Are you sure it's the 1000th episode ?

From Bulbapedia : (Japanese: ロトム、フォルムチェンジが止まらない! Rotom, Can't Stop the Form Change!) is the 57th episode of the Sun & Moon series, and the 996th episode of the Pokémon anime. It is scheduled to air in Japan on January 11, 2018.

But Serebii said it's the 1000th episode. Maybe they don't count the banned episode ? And maybe the real 1000th (that could be 1004 really) will be woooooow
And according to the Pokemon Company they already celebrated the 1000th episode. :pikuh:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That's not a good excuse, actually that's not an excuse at all. While the Pokemon anime isn't anything that'll blow your mind, I would argue that the purpose of the Pokemon anime is to bring life to the Pokemon world and the being who live in it.
Bluntly put, the purpose of the Pokémon anime is to advertise the franchise, by introducing its setting, mechanics and workings to a wider audience. Everything else is second priority. Or, well, third really. The second is probably cost.

It seems you underestimate how big of an impression the original pokemon series has left behind in the world. Back then people weren't any where near as connected as they are today and pokemon STILL took the world by storm. Those 25-30yo are simply the kids who were in the middle of it, so it's not odd at all for them to be reminiscing of that time and I'll be damned if 25-30yo japanese fans aren't whining about the same things.
I'm over 30, I know this. I'm just saying there's no point in expecting the anime to be what it was 20 years ago. The writers of course occasionally do nostalgic throwbacks like Misty/Brock in SM or Movie 20, etc....but it's all very brief and short lived. It's nothing more than, "Hey here's some nostalgic fun" and then that's it...it's back to whatever the current generation is. It's the people who are expecting these old characters to stick around or the show to magically turn back into what it was 20 years ago permanently...that are the people who I'm talking about. The writers aren't going to cater to 25-30+ year old adults who watched Kanto in 1998 over 6-12 year old kids.

It's the same reason the writers gave Misty such an early permanent departure from the show in 2002 when they could have theoretically kept her as long as Brock. Most original fans were already bored of the show in Johto, the original trio was more or less viewed as a failure when Johto came to an end, (the original fad of pokemon died around 2001-2002), and they revamped the show from Hoenn onward and once May became popular they realized they can continue to bring in new characters every series, which they have done. They should have done away with both Misty and especially Brock much earlier than they did (and Team Rocket too for that matter, but I understand why Japan loves comedic villains so we're stuck with them), because there's no point in focusing on the same characters over and over.

And on top of this, now that the Hoenn and DP generations, etc. are now 15 and 11+ years old respectively, nostalgia now no longer correlates only to the original series. Plenty of kids or those of us who were teens and watched those eras are also nostalgic for them, so the writers aren't going to cater to one group of fans over another. It's times like this people forget the show has been airing for 20 years, millions of kids have grown up watching the anime long after 2002. Do people not realize how long ago 2002 is now? That's like ancient history in the year 2018.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Anime Director: Slice of life is getting boring...
Intern: Oh, so should we focus on finishing Ash's Island Challenge, bring in the rest of Team Skull, and explore other locations and mechanics in the games?
AD: Nah...

So, according to Serebii, Ash & Co. become "Ultra Guardians" and they'll be battling Ultra Beasts that'll be appearing all over the islands (glad to see the rest of the Ultra Beats aren't going to be relegated to movies and have an active role in the anime). And already it's looking promising with Team Rocket's Bewear facing off against a Buzzwole!

And like a Super Sentei/Power Ranger sereis, everyone's Ultra Guardian outfit is its own color: Kiawe is red, Sophocles is orange, Lillie is pink, Mallow is green, Lana is blue, and Ash is... also blue. Okay, Lana and Ash's clothes are different, but still. You couldn't make Ash purple or, considering his main Pokemon, yellow? Or mask Ash red, Kiawe orange, and Sophocles yellow. Or give everyone two colors.

Guessing Lusamine is going to be their boss? Also Poipole looks to be a member judging by it wearing the same "Ultra Guardian" tag as all the other groups Pokemon... is Ash going to catch Poipole? That would be neat! And with it being an unevolved Ultra Beasts it'll still mean the other Ultra Beasts are a danger (and during their final showdown with Guzzlord it can than evolve to be on equal footing and save the day). Then again it could also become "the Slimer" and just hang out with them, which I wouldn't be surprised about.

So, the question now is if the Ultra Recon Squad also going to appear?

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Anime Director: Slice of life is getting boring...
Intern: Oh, so should we focus on finishing Ash's Island Challenge, bring in the rest of Team Skull, and explore other locations and mechanics in the games?
AD: Nah...

So, according to Serebii, Ash & Co. become "Ultra Guardians" and they'll be battling Ultra Beasts that'll be appearing all over the islands (glad to see the rest of the Ultra Beats aren't going to be relegated to movies and have an active role in the anime). And already it's looking promising with Team Rocket's Bewear facing off against a Buzzwole!

And like a Super Sentei/Power Ranger sereis, everyone's Ultra Guardian outfit is its own color: Kiawe is red, Sophocles is orange, Lillie is pink, Mallow is green, Lana is blue, and Ash is... also blue. Okay, Lana and Ash's clothes are different, but still. You couldn't make Ash purple or, considering his main Pokemon, yellow? Or mask Ash red, Kiawe orange, and Sophocles yellow. Or give everyone two colors.

Guessing Lusamine is going to be their boss? Also Poipole looks to be a member judging by it wearing the same "Ultra Guardian" tag as all the other groups Pokemon... is Ash going to catch Poipole? That would be neat! And with it being an unevolved Ultra Beasts it'll still mean the other Ultra Beasts are a danger (and during their final showdown with Guzzlord it can than evolve to be on equal footing and save the day). Then again it could also become "the Slimer" and just hang out with them, which I wouldn't be surprised about.

So, the question now is if the Ultra Recon Squad also going to appear?
Go! Go! Z-Power Rangers!
Glad to see Rotom-Dex has a role considering it has the marker as well. Would love to see it in battle.

Poipole is the new Nebby? Or better yet Zygarde cell...
Go Team!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Go! Go! Z-Power Rangers!
Glad to see Rotom-Dex has a role considering it has the marker as well. Would love to see it in battle.

Poipole is the new Nebby? Or better yet Zygarde cell...
Go Team!
Rotom Dex probably would just be there to collect and deliver data on the Ultra Beast.

Poipole is definitely replacing Nebby, though I would like to see Poipole fight.

Also, where's Gladion in all this (and Silvally, aka the Ultra Beast Killer)? Is he going to be the additional ranger we get halfway through the season?

Well... for the next episode, I'm sure some shippers are going to have... very fun time next episode.
And I'm calling it, we need new Rotom Forme. But at least it's pretty funny episode. Now we know Rotom may grow up in their electronics appliances and be used to it, although I don't know how Rotom can get dragged along to random electronics, maybe those electronics are designed to suck them when possible?

I'll still keep my optimism that Ash might meet Kuchinashi / Nanu while doing his job as Ultra Sentai. Maybe there can be connection seeing Nanu's role in previous UB arc and while that, he'll challenge him in the trials and then Ash can continue the island pilgrimage, although how to get the trials first... with Sophocles and or Acerola later. Most likely Sophocles by disguised trial like the Akala trial since they're not very likely to add Acerola as Ilima is adapted out and I have little faith in them to be able to write characters well.

After all, Ash had promised that to Gladio. He'll also have to come out. It could be that Gladio beat him in island trials while Ash is busy going Sentai.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well... for the next episode, I'm sure some shippers are going to have... very fun time next episode.
And I'm calling it, we need new Rotom Forme. But at least it's pretty funny episode. Now we know Rotom may grow up in their electronics appliances and be used to it, although I don't know how Rotom can get dragged along to random electronics, maybe those electronics are designed to suck them when possible?

I'll still keep my optimism that Ash might meet Kuchinashi / Nanu while doing his job as Ultra Sentai. Maybe there can be connection seeing Nanu's role in previous UB arc and while that, he'll challenge him in the trials and then Ash can continue the island pilgrimage, although how to get the trials first... with Sophocles and or Acerola later. Most likely Sophocles by disguised trial like the Akala trial since they're not very likely to add Acerola as Ilima is adapted out and I have little faith in them to be able to write characters well.

After all, Ash had promised that to Gladio. He'll also have to come out. It could be that Gladio beat him in island trials while Ash is busy going Sentai.
Next episode? *Checks Pokemon Japan's Youtube* Oh, I see. Funny, you're thinking about the shippers, I'm more thinking "SHINY MAREANIE! CATCH IT YOU FOOLS!". I have to wonder, what's the value of Shiny Pokemon in the Pokemon anime? We've seen them now and again and not even half those time much attention is put on them being differently colored than a normal member of their species. Like in real life there would be a market for them and prime targets for the black market.

Rotom Building? That sounds more like a location in the game, like someone tried making a self maintaining house and used a Rotom to run it. Though I wouldn't mind seeing more Rotom forms, like why not a Rotom Vacuum? Course I could suggest new forms for many Pokemon with different forms so let's move on.

Actually, gotta question the rules concerning Rotom's form changes in this episode. Previously, Rotoms could possess ANY washing machine, toaster oven, fridge, fan, or lawnmower and change form (which made you wonder why only those objects Rotom was able to fully possess), but this episode brought in the Rotom Appliances and Rotom was only able to change forms going into them (until the end where it somehow possessed the Pokemon Center).

"IT'S A GAG EPISODE!"

Yes, I know, but I just can't help but notice this stuff since it's a random mechanic they brought over from the games that previous episodes in the anime ignored so why does the season which mostly ignore the game stuff is the one sticking to game rules concerning Rotom's form changes?! Also why does everyone suddenly have a Rotom Appliance? Is that explained in the episode?

I can understand leaving out Ilima as he's kind of bland (yes, yes, put your Normal-type joke here), but I hope they include Acerola as she's a fun character and a fan favorite. Course Hau still hasn't showed up but they have had game rivals appear late in the anime so there's still hope for him. And of course same can be said for Nanu, Mina, and Hapu, Nanu they could maybe bring him in if they start the actual Team Skull story arc where they'd hopefully bring in Plumeria and Guzma. As for Mina and Hapu, they're story would have to be restrained to Poni Island which is a shame for Hapu's character but they wrapped up the Aether Foundation plot so there goes her game role.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Another poster for the new arc:

So Let's Examine:
First off, NANU AND ACEROLA! In addition the Mimikyu with Acerola is Shiny.
2. Curious what the selection of poses of the Ultra Beasts on the poster mean. None of them are in a threatening position despite Mallow and Lillie's concerns. Kiawe is flexing along with a Buzzwole, Lana and Sophocles are unsure about a Stakataka who is just standing around, Xurkitree is dancing, Blacephalon is bowing, and Celesteela is flying out of a Ultra Wormhole. Could it be possible that, after defeating the Ultra Beasts, some if not all will be joining Ash & co.'s quest to protect the Alola region from emerging Ultra Beasts?
3. So Necrozma will be appearing and taking over a Lunala and Solgaleo. Though is that Solgaleo Nebby? Since both are there, and assuming the poster is a hint to what the season will have, does that mean there's two Necrozma?
4. Any importance to the stain on Ash's shirt? Is it suppose to be from Poipole and that's a running joke in this season?

EDIT: TV Toyko's site for the Pokemon anime has a 30 second video preview for new season. Some things I notice from it:

0:00: So Ash & co. all get a flying Pokemon. Ash has a Garchomp, Lillie has an Altaria, Mallow has a Flygon, Kiawe has a Charizard, Lana has a Dragonair, and Sophocles has a Metang. Odd choices for some of them. Alright, their flying Pokemon sort of matches their suit color (except when they don't) though you couldn't match their type? Like Mallow could have a Tropius, Lana have a Swanna/Pelipper, and Sophocles have a Magnezone. Would also all give them fully evolved Pokemon too.
0:04: Their suit is applied on via form fitting goop. Alright, I guess I've seen stranger morph sequences.
0:07: Their Pokemon collars just teleport onto them.
0:17: They do have Beast Balls.
0:28: Translations from the older poster confirms Ultra Guardians is an Aether Foundation project with Lusamine in charge of (Though also looks like Kukui and Burnet know about it too).

Last edited:
I actually thought of other appliances. Rotom is seen in TV, but never a TV can be another forme? I feel like that can be expanded a bit more or I just wanted (another) Elec/Psy mon or am a bit sick of vees and want other mon wielding type gimmicks.... but anyway....

Ah Romance....
It seems that Shiny Pokemon is pretty much unusually uninteresting sights in the anime. Probably just like mutated colouration, but not exaggeratedly rare like the chances in the games, although in Sophos' race before, we were treated a shiny Chargabug that is treated like trophy indeed.

Now I don't know which is better mon for James. It seems like at least they could make the Rockets interesting, as much mess as the the writing team are. I still seem to think Inkay is solid, but this Mareanie and its infatuation to James (pretty much played for laugh, as opposed to Inkay who presses more on the trainer bonds) makes refreshing characters to enjoy too. Either way, these Rockets are always interesting to watch, even as much cliched as the episode goes, since it seems like they are the ideal trainers (even as much failure for villains).

I... wasn't prepared that the latest AniPoke episode featuring Mao/Mallow and Lana's backstory had the arranged music box version of Pokemon Center (that is, "Pokemon Carnival" or "Happy Birthday" version)played. It has been long... too sweet to handle....

... and then I could only cringe as the Rocket gang appeared this time. It left everyone frozen solid.

Anyway, I'm hoping the next episode won't be time wasting again like they did the previous' poor pacing, which is sadly likely to be the case....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)