Power Rankings?

Idea, For future NOC games have a select few of mods/players who are willing to commit to following the current game create a power ranking that consists of the players in the game. They could give notes of how they think each player is doing and what they are doing is wrong or right which could help improve any player. This could be done in the dead chat so when a player dies they can look to see how they did without bias. Power Rankings could also be posted in post game for everyone to see.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is a good idea especially if we start encouraging smaller NOCs. A game of 10-13 is a lot easier for someone to follow and give notes on than a 17-man game (see: Matrix post count).

I think it would be beneficial to the newer members of Circus or people who maybe have been here a while but don't think their NOC meta or scumgame is that great.

You learn by playing, but if you have someone pointing out where you played well or could have played better, that would help people out even more.

I mean I've always strived to have a detailed post game and I'll always talk about someone's play with them if they approach me but I'm not just gonna push my shit on people unprompted or start encouraging hero behavior with power rankings.

People that want to improve can just talk to literally anyone about their game tbf.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Power rankings

1. Asek

2. The rest

I have come to the conclusion people largely get better at mafia through experience, i dont think picking up on lying, reading through the lines and deceiving others is something that can be pointed out and told for you to improve on. Sure theres technical things you can highlight where a player fucked up (i.e hammering early) but i feel mafia is played and won off of how well players can communicate which cant really be taught / highlighted as issues in play

I've been advocating graveyards for years for exactly this reason. Dunno how "unbiased" a list of power rankings is but one of the best and funnest ways to get some perspective on your game is through spectator comments.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Power rankings? Do you really want to further encourage individual-oriented play with power rankings? We used to do postgame posts, where players used to comment on how their game progressed, and would sometimes discuss how others played as well. Hosts would do detailed reviews as well. Players who were leading teams would also point people in the right direction. All this would serve to help people improve.

Power rankings would just serve to stoke egos and destabilise teams. You'd have people within teams pushing to outdo each other in the name of power rankings. I don't really think it's a good idea. Then again I'm a fossil :) Just my 2 cents.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
As much as I love to see Gmax posting, I think he's looking at this from an OC angle where this was supposed to be a NOC topic.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel like I completely missed the power ranking sentence in the OP and just saw the "give notes" one.

I agree an actual ranking is p meh; it's the feedback I think would be helpful to newer or struggling players

As much as I love to see Gmax posting, I think he's looking at this from an OC angle where this was supposed to be a NOC topic.
power rankings don't help people improve in any sort of teamplay game imo, because people will chase bigdick fancy plays to try to look cool and rank up

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
i mean i feel like in most NOCs, there isnt really any way to wrest control from another player because nobody really has control, the best way to get a good power ranking is just to play like you normally would and do it well

Gmax

kuahahahaha
Hi zorbees! I'm really not an expert on NOC, but you've seen how ego-driven people get sometimes, man. I just didn't feel it would be a good idea to incentivise people to play for themselves over their team, especially in NOCs, where it's harder for teammates to influence each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)