Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

By "normal" I'm assuming you mean the Greninja and Zygarde with IDs that match Torrent/Protean and Aura Break, but with Battle Bond and Power Construct hacked on instead?

It's possible I'm testing it wrong, but I'm fairly confident that it just doesn't matter. Any Greninja and Zygarde should be able to forme change with hacks.
So is it battle bond itself that stops a greninja from breeding?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
So is it battle bond itself that stops a greninja from breeding?
Hacked abilities don't pass down through breeding. Hacking Battle Bond onto nornal ID Greninja gets you Torrent Froakies, Hacking Torrent onto Battle Bond Greninja should also get you unbreedable Torrent Greninja.

If Z-powering a stat-boosting status move boosts the same stat (e.g. Howl), what message(s) result?

Now that the easy one is out of the way: Pledge moves. Are Pledge moves affected by effects such as Normalize or Electrify? Are they affected if they combine? If a Pledge move is indeed affected by Electrify, can it then be redirected with Lightning Rod? (This requires you to skill swap Mold Breaker or Lightning Rod on to the Electrify user, or to get the Mold Breaker or Lightning Rod user to Mimic Electrify, so not your everyday occurrence.)

If Z-powering a stat-boosting status move boosts the same stat (e.g. Howl), what message(s) result?
The resulting messages are always the same:

(paraphrasing)

Code:
(Pokemon)'s Attack was increased by using its Z-Move!
(Pokemon) used Howl!
(Pokemon)'s Attack rose!

"The effectiveness text on the move selection screen is purely based off the opposing Pokemon's type and ignores abilities. (UltiMario)"

I have found that aerialate affects the "effectiveness" text after mega evolution.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alugia7 he was referring to the ability of the target, not the ability of the user. For example, a Pokemon like Miltank will take half damage from Fire and Ice moves if it has Thick Fat, but it won't be displayed as not very effective on the move select screen or when it hits.

Alugia7 he was referring to the ability of the target, not the ability of the user. For example, a Pokemon like Miltank will take half damage from Fire and Ice moves if it has Thick Fat, but it won't be displayed as not very effective on the move select screen or when it hits.
In Thick Fat case, it doesn't reduce the effectiveness, it merely halves the damage. Say, Ice Beam is super effective on Mega Venusaur, but the damage it deals is as if it were neutral.

Can knock off remove a kee berry (increases defense when hit by physical move), or does the kee berry activate first? Can harvest activate if the kee berry is used in this way?

So here is my question: does normalize still boost a move if that move actually ends up as another type? in this replay normalize is paired with a spooky plate judgment thus results in a ghost type judgment but somehow still receives the 1.2 boost.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-571346604
It is now confirmed on the cartridge that this is a bug of PS: For judgment with spooky plate on normalize users, the move will be ghost type and therefore should not receive the normalize 20% boost which PS! incorrectly implements.

Feel free to confirm the damage output in game, and maybe double check all other moves like multi-attack under normalize etc.

I don't have access to serious bug report so it would be nice if anyone can forward this. This mechanics bug is crucial since it is impactful and commonly used in Balanced Hackmons.

Sondero

It is now confirmed on the cartridge that this is a bug of PS: For judgment with spooky plate on normalize users, the move will be ghost type and therefore should not receive the normalize 20% boost which PS! incorrectly implements.

Feel free to confirm the damage output in game, and maybe double check all other moves like multi-attack under normalize etc.

I don't have access to serious bug report so it would be nice if anyone can forward this. This mechanics bug is crucial since it is impactful and commonly used in Balanced Hackmons.
What's your source for that?

Ditto allows to scout the target Ability in-game. Using the info button that Ditto has, you can see the copied ability alongside the stat changes.

Additionally, a Ditto transformed into Greninja in-game won't be able to activate Battle Bond.

Last edited:
What's your source for that?
Just noticed your reply.
I said I tested in game, and feel free to test it with official in game testers.
My own testing is under Language Chinese, and can be watched here:

Password: PSBUG
I tested many times, using a min spa (345) Mega Gengar with nomalize, and a 219 Zapdos with Charge, see http://imgur.com/a/M1wM1 .
And these are the rolls i get in game, which apparently doesn't have the boost. 154, 156, 153, 162,147, 142,136,148,144,148,157,162,144,153,145,147,159,142,147,157,151,148,145,162,142,136,159,150,139

And the PS replay with the exact same SPA Mgengar and exact same SPD and HP Zapdos is this http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-589117581

Last edited:

Sondero

Just noticed your reply.

I said I tested in game, and feel free to test it with official in game testers.
My own testing is under Language Chinese, and can be watched here:

Password: PSBUG
I tested many times, using a min spa (345) Mega Gengar with nomalize, and a 219 Zapdos with Charge, see http://imgur.com/a/M1wM1 .
And these are the rolls i get in game, which apparently doesn't have the boost. 154, 156, 153, 162,147, 142,136,148,144,148,157,162,144,153,145,147,159,142,147,157,151,148,145,162,142,136,159,150,139

And the PS replay with the exact same SPA Mgengar and exact same SPD and HP Zapdos is this http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-589117581
Sorry, I probably should've read through what you said more carefully, but anyway, I forwarded it to the serious bug reports thread.

Reactions: fsk

breh

強いだね
following up on weird choice item - <magic room or embargo> interactions from a couple months ago, what happens when you get knocked off with a choice item under magic room and attempt to select another move? will the game just display blank text (i.e. " prevents the use of another move!" Is the effect the same with thief / covet / etc.?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
following up on weird choice item - <magic room or embargo> interactions from a couple months ago, what happens when you get knocked off with a choice item under magic room and attempt to select another move? will the game just display blank text (i.e. " prevents the use of another move!" Is the effect the same with thief / covet / etc.?
X used Air Slash!
Y used Magic Room!

X used Aerial Ace! But it failed!
Y used Knock Off! (against X)

Y used Magic Room!

Y used Trick! (X gets Oran Berry)
At this point, clicking any move that isn't Air Slash with X tells you "The Oran Berry only allows the use of Air Slash!" Starting and ending Magic Room again doesn't reset the lock, and using Knock Off against X again does nothing other than allowing you to click other moves; they still fail if they aren't Air Slash. Basically, Choice locking checks two things separately: that you have an item and that you're locked into a move. Even though you have no item the game still thinks you're locked in because the effect isn't removable while ignoring items, and simply removing the current item you're holding outside of Magic Room/whatever does nothing but give you back the ability to click other moves, unless your current item was a Choice item (even if it's not the same Choice item you had before).

What DragonWhale didn't mention last time is that this bug exists in Gen 5 and 6 as well, but it didn't matter that much back then because you could still execute whatever moves you wanted while Choice locked but ignoring items/not holding an item at all. The Gen 5 behaviour with no item is actually what you expected - "The None allows the use of only Air Slash!", and Gen 6 fixed that part but nothing else.

tl;dr: Dancer's existence made an otherwise innocuous bug much worse.

What DragonWhale didn't mention last time is that this bug exists in Gen 5 and 6 as well, but it didn't matter that much back then because you could still execute whatever moves you wanted while Choice locked but ignoring items/not holding an item at all. The Gen 5 behaviour with no item is actually what you expected - "The None allows the use of only Air Slash!", and Gen 6 fixed that part but nothing else.

tl;dr: Dancer's existence made an otherwise innocuous bug much worse.
How curious that this bug actually isn't new. I wonder if Game Freak, just like us, never realized of its existence because there was not such an easy trigger like Dancer.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Sorry if this was already asked, but are you guys sure that type z-moves have a base power of 1?
That's a filler to indicate it depends on the move it's used with since we couldn't leave it blank on the dex, and leaving it as 100 would be more misleading imo

That's a filler to indicate it depends on the move it's used with since we couldn't leave it blank on the dex, and leaving it as 100 would be more misleading imo
Stuff like gyro ball are listed as having blank base powers, so why can't they do the same for z-moves?

Stuff like gyro ball are listed as having blank base powers, so why can't they do the same for z-moves?
Gyro Ball's Base Power is variable, which is not the same thing.

Generic Z-Moves get their Base Power from the base move. A Base Power of 1 was most likely set to ensure it does not cause weird behavior in case the move were hacked into a moveset, from which they don't have a base move. (Though I'm now curious if a crystal-free Z-Move can be used as a base move for a Z-Move. Say, Shattering Psyche based off Genesis Supernova)

Signature Z-Moves don't have that issue as they only have one base move - hence, the Base Power is fixed because it does not really cause any difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)