NU Accelgor

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Accelgor's blistering Speed stat, great Special Attack in tandem with Choice Specs, and valuable coverage coupled with utility moves like Spikes, Accelgor cements itself as a huge annoyance to teams. Adding onto the point of Accelgor's coverage, Accelgor is capable of dealing massive damage to many unsuspecting Pokemon, such as hitting Steelix with Focus Blast and Diancie with Energy Ball. Accelgor outpaces the most common Choice Scarf user in NU, Passimian, making Accelgor even more menacing to teams where Passimian is the designated Choice Scarf holder. Unfortunately, Accelgor has rather lackluster defensive stats and a poor defensive typing, making it extremely difficult to use efficiently and preventing it from switching into nearly anything in the metagame well.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Energy Ball
move 4: Spikes
item: Choice Specs
ability: Sticky Hold
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is a reliable STAB attack that nails prominent Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types such as Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Sceptile. Focus Blast is essential in Accelgor's movepool, severely denting Steel and Rock-types like Gigalith, Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Alolan Sandslash, as well as hitting other Pokemon for more desirable damage such as Incineroar, Piloswine, Type: Null, Ferroseed, and Cryogonal. Energy Ball primarily deals with troublesome Rock-types, namely Diancie and Rhydon, and it deals damage to Bug-resistant Pokemon such as Palossand. Spikes may seem odd on a Choice-locked Pokemon; however, Accelgor makes good use of the move thanks to its fantastic Speed stat and ability to set multiple layers of Spikes on an expected switch from the opponent. U-turn is an alternative to Spikes, enabling Accelgor to gain momentum against Pokemon that can wall it; however, Spikes is generally the better option, as it's a major contributing factor to Accelgor's viability.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment ensures that Accelgor hits as fast and hard as possible, and a Timid nature allows Accelgor to outpace Choice Scarf variants of Passimian. Choice Specs increases Accelgor's Special Attack substantially, converting it into a powerful wallbreaker that's a force to be reckoned with. Sticky Hold is the preferred ability, as it allows Accelgor to retain its Choice Specs even when hit by Knock Off.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Accelgor's poor defensive stats, it should avoid switching into foes multiple times, and it is best brought in with the help of VoltTurn users against Pokemon like Slowbro and Guzzlord that it can capitalize on. If the opponent is expected to bring in a counter to Accelgor, sometimes it's best to use Spikes on the switch, pressuring the opponent heavily throughout the game. On the flip side, if the opponent is likely to switch into a Steel- or Rock-type like Steelix or Gigalith, predicting that and going for Focus Blast can throw off the opponent and allow Accelgor to gain momentum rapidly. Likewise, if a Bug-resistant Pokemon is expected to switch in like Diancie, Steelix, or Palossand, Energy Ball and Focus Blast are the best moves Accelgor should go for.

Team Options
========

Accelgor struggles immensely against bulky Flying-types, namely Golbat and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary, so checks to them are necessary. Rock- and Steel-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Steelix make for good teammates, effectively handling these Pokemon. Numerous Fire-types pose major threats to Accelgor; Incineroar, Houndoom, Magmortar, and Delphox can either outspeed it if holding a Choice Scarf or immediately force Accelgor out depending on what move it's locked into, so sufficient countermeasures to them are advised. Again, Rock-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Rhydon are all more than capable of checking these Fire-types. Water-types such as Slowbro, Slowking, Blastoise, Vaporeon, and Samurott can all put Fire-types in check, taking pressure off of Accelgor. Rock-types can tank attacks from Accelgor depending on what move it's locked into, so Fighting-, Grass-, and Steel-types like Passimian, Whimsicott, and Klinklang are good partners. Similarly to Rock-types, Ground- and Steel-types can also tank hits from Accelgor based on what move it's locked into, so yet again Water-, Grass-, and Fighting-types are good partners for Accelgor. Accelgor appreciates coming into battle safely with VoltTurn support, so pivots like Passimian, Xatu, and Rotom synergize well with Accelgor. Additionally, these three can pivot out against Pokemon that naturally answer them like Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Whimsicott to let Accelgor in more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Life Orb can be run over Choice Specs to give Accelgor more freedom while attacking, allowing it to exploit its checks more easily; however, the drop is significant, and taking chip damage from Life Orb reduces the number of times Accelgor can switch into Stealth Rock. A Spikes lead set with Focus Sash can be used, consisting of Spikes, Final Gambit, Bug Buzz, and Toxic Spikes, with Encore as an option as well. However, this set should only be used on hyper offensive teams and generally isn't worth using in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Golbat completely walls Accelgor, taking about 10% from Bug Buzz and comfortably OHKOing it in return with STAB Brave Bird. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary is also able of tanking Accelgor's attacks and setting up on it. Other less defensive Flying-types like Vivillon, Scyther, and Dodrio can threaten Accelgor with their STAB attacks; however, these Pokemon are fairly uncommon and either don't switch into entry hazards well or take huge damage from Focus Blast.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority Users**: Almost any Pokemon holding Choice Scarf that outspeeds Accelgor will have very little difficulty taking it down thanks to Accelgor's lackluster defensive stats. Examples of Choice Scarf users include Heliolisk, Houndoom, Togedemaru, Delphox, and Scyther. Priority users like Comfey and Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak Decidueye can pick off Accelgor pretty easily as well.

**Rock-types**: Although Accelgor has moves like Focus Blast and Energy Ball at its disposal, Diancie, Rhydon, and Aerodactyl are capable of OHKOing Accelgor with their STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Togedemaru can all prove extremely troublesome to Accelgor if it's Choice locked into any attack that's not Focus Blast. Steelix and Klinklang can OHKO Accelgor with their STAB attacks, whereas Togedemaru can outspeed it if holding a Choice Scarf and has a 75% chance to OHKO Accelgor after Stealth Rock damage. Silvally-Steel can deal hefty damage to Accelgor with Flamethrower and tank even a Choice Specs-boosted Focus Blast.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types like Houndoom and Delphox that typically utilize Choice Scarf are able to outspeed Accelgor and OHKO it with ease. Furthermore, if Accelgor locks itself into Energy Ball against any of these Fire-types, it's immediately forced out. However, even though none of Accelgor's attacks are super effective against Fire-types, the majority of them struggle to successfully switch into it. Incineroar and Houndoom are OHKOed by Focus Blast and take substantial damage from Bug Buzz, and Delphox takes 70% from Bug Buzz and is outpaced if not holding a Choice Scarf. Magmortar takes well over half from Focus Blast, making it an unreliable switch-in.

Last edited:
sludge bomb should be mentioned somewhere to hit fairies which otherwise wall accelgor completely.

also imo the Specs set is way better than the suicide lead set. I think Specs should be the first set. Suicide lead is OK but im not sure if Final Gambit is the way to go. I'll let other QC members comment on it though because ive never used final gambit, just offensive sash

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
moves:
  • give some examples of the poison and fairy-types that you're targeting.
usage tips:
  • mention that accelgor can be slightly more reckless with predictions if hazards are off the field
team options:
  • *Sneasel
  • reword the slow pivot sentence, atm it sounds like Incineroar and Lanturn are taking advantage of the slow pivot, when in reality it's accelgor who is

Sash Usage tips:
  • A line on when to use encore would be good here

Team options:
  • remove cofagrigus
  • add stealth rock users here, to form a hazard stacking duo for offense
c&c:
  • add Braviary to Flying-type

Good, QC 1/3

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention specific mons that Accelgor outspeeds unboosted; we already know what Accelgor's base Speed is so remove this explicit mention from the Overview. Also emphasise that Accelgor uses its excellent speed and decent power to function primarily as a cleaner that can clean up weakened teams to secure a map, or to revenge kill offensive threats such as Sceptile and Whimsicott. This has more meaning than "is a good Choice Specs abuser" on its own.

Swap the Sivally-Steel reference for Sandslash-Alola, it's a lot more relevant with Aurora Veil being fairly strong. However, make sure you mention that Focus Blast only really threatens it on the switch-in, as it shouldn't really be on the field without the Hail support that lets it outspeed Accelgor. Ferroseed is another relevant mention I guess. Also mention some relevant Rock- and Ground-types that Energy Ball lets you secure OHKOs on, such as Rhydon and Seismitoad.

In set details for the Specs set, also emphasise that a Timid nature lets you outspeed +2 Rhydon, letting you revenge kill it effectively.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Mention specific mons that Accelgor outspeeds unboosted; we already know what Accelgor's base Speed is so remove this explicit mention from the Overview. Also emphasise that Accelgor uses its excellent speed and decent power to function primarily as a cleaner that can clean up weakened teams to secure a map, or to revenge kill offensive threats such as Sceptile and Whimsicott. This has more meaning than "is a good Choice Specs abuser" on its own.

Swap the Sivally-Steel reference for Sandslash-Alola, it's a lot more relevant with Aurora Veil being fairly strong. However, make sure you mention that Focus Blast only really threatens it on the switch-in, as it shouldn't really be on the field without the Hail support that lets it outspeed Accelgor. Ferroseed is another relevant mention I guess. Also mention some relevant Rock- and Ground-types that Energy Ball lets you secure OHKOs on, such as Rhydon and Seismitoad.

In set details for the Specs set, also emphasise that a Timid nature lets you outspeed +2 Rhydon, letting you revenge kill it effectively.
implemented

I have a new Accelgor set
Name: Extra Speedy
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball/Giga Drain
- Recover
- Quick Attack/Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast
Item: Focus Sash
252 SpAtk 252 Speed 4 Def
Ability: Unburden
Modest/Timid Nature
This custom set that I came up with emphasizes on Accelgor's biggest strength, its speed stat. With its speed doubled you can outspeed all of the tier and scarf users like Sceptile and and possibly rhydon at +3 but I'm not sure

There's an issue with Team Options, you've done two separate Team Options for the two sets -- there should only be one after you're done talking about every set, correct that (and remove Archeops from there, it's not good nowadays)

Add Toxic Spikes in its utility moves in the Overview.

name: Wallbreaker
move 2: Hidden Power Psychic
move 3: Energy Ball / Focus Blast
move 4: Spikes / U-Turn
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb
nature: Timid / Modest

this should be the specs set, hp psychic for toxicroak.

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

this should be the suicide lead set, with encore in moves.

Usage Tips is too vague and short, add more concrete things to say

Remove the mention of Barbaracle. In C&C, replace Clefairy by Mega-Audino in the Fairy-type section -- you've also put some irrelevant mons in Flying-type so you should update that as well. I don't like how Golbat has a specific section for it only, it's not very good in this metagame so I don't think it's worth having it.

just try to make the analysis more up-to-date, implement everything and tag me so that i can give 2/3

Accelgor has the highest unboosted Speed stat in all of NU, allowing it to outspeed unboosted Sceptile, Whimiscott, and Virizion.
Virizion is no longer nu

[SET]
move 4: Spikes / U-Turn
nature: Modest / Timid
U-turn should honestly fill the main slot here, not spikes. If you wanted a spike Accelgor I'd honestly just run the suicide set. U-turn allows you to function better as a specs wall breaker as you can u-turn out on things like Null and Golbat so it effectively works as a lure for these mons. Getting a spike down is nice, but with how much removal is in the tier currently, I just don't see it as better then u-turn. I'd also remove the Timid from slash and bring it up in OO. It's only letting you out speed scarf Medicham, Braviary, Passimian. 2 of which resist bug and the last one isn't insanely relevant.

Bug Buzz is Accelgor's most powerful special STAB, nailing Psychic, Grass and Dark-Types such as Slowbro, Rotom-Mow, and Sneasel
Mow is no longer NU.

Focus Blast hits Steel-Types that would normally wall Accelgor such as Steelix, Ferroseed, or Alolan Sandslash. However, Alolan Sandslash outspeeds under hail so it should only be hit on an attempted switch-in.
Use a more relevant steel type then Sandslash-A. Something like a Vally Steel would work.

Pokemon that can easily deal with Flying-types, such Rotom-C, Sneasel, or Archeops, are good teammates for Accelgor
Rotom-c is no longer NU, Sneasel isn't a flying type, and Archeops isn't a relevant flying type. Try updating these with more relevant examples such as like Vivillon or Scyther.

Fighting-types such as Toxicroak, Machamp, and Emboar appreciate Accelgor's ability to eliminate Slowbro and other bulky Psychics
Machamp isn't relevant in NU and Emboar is no longer NU. Maybe replace this part with like Passimian and Hitmonlee.

Pokemon that are capable of slow pivoting, such as Inciniroar and Lanturn, can bring Accelgor in safely
Slow pivots are good, lanturn is not. Update with a more relevant example. Silvally is a good one as its a slow momentum mon that can also clear hazards for it.

Knock Off can be ran on the Suicide Lead set over Bug Buzz for it's utility in removing items but deals pathetic damage
You can also run this on the specs set as removing Eviolite from the likes of Golbat and Null can be a nice option for teams that really want those 2 crippled.

**Priority**: Priority in general hurts Accelgor, as its pathetic bulk makes it easily KOed by any strong priority, such as Absol's Sucker Punch or Lycanroc's Accelrock. Priority Taunt from Sableye also shuts down the Suicide Lead set, with Sableye being immune to Final Gambit.
Use more relevant examples of Priority. Things like Sneasel and +2 Toxicroak (as it chews everything you throw at it and sets up and ohkos at +2) are far more relevant. I'd also drop Sableye from this all together as its not a viable pokemon in NU.

QC 2/3

Reactions: asa
sorry i begun this edit prior to receiving the advice that this format can be difficult to look at. i attempted to fix the edits and make them more readable but i found that this was difficult to do within the editor i've been working with and i get lost very easily in the bbcode...i've resolved to rework my editing style in the future but unfortunately for this edit I decided it would be better to just leave things as is and do things differently in the future. if you would really like me to however i can put in more effort in reformatting them, so lmk, but sorry in advance!!!.

re: the analysis - overall everything looks fine in general, the one note i would make is maybe run your work through a spell checker or just do one final read through as there were a decent number of misspelled words along with an unfinished section. the Other Options section suffers from being overly repetitive IMO and would benefit by conjoining a couple of the sentences. I have tried to do so somewhat with my edit but you may want to disregard and attempt to rewrite in your own style. otherwise i've left comments for specific things that I felt weren't obvious, but feel free to ask if you have any further concerns. overall good work on the analysis, it covers all the bases other than some minor rewordings/edits and for those, hopefully the comments help u out.

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Accelgor's blistering Speed stat, the highest unboosted Speed stat in NU, great Special Attack in tandem with Choice Specs, and valueable coverage coupled with utility moves like Spikes, Accelgor proclalims itself as a huge annoyance to teams. Addopposing onto the point ofteams. Accelgor's coverage, Accelgor is allows it to be able tof surprisinge and dealing massive damage to many unexsuspectanting Pokemon, such as Steelix with Focus Blast and Diancie with Energy Ball. The middle of the sentence needs to be rewritten since it currently doesn’t make sense. I have changed it so that it makes sense to me, but you may find that you had a different meaning in mind so feel free to change it how you see fit. Most notably, Accelgor outpaces the most common Choice Scarf user in NU, with that Pokemon being Passimian, making Accelgor even more menacing againsto those teams where Passimian is the designated Choice Scarf holder. You can make this sentence more concise by changing it to “…menacing to teams relying on Choice Scarf Passimian” but it’s not a necessary change Unfortunately, Accelgor has rather lacklustere defensive stats, combine and with a poor defensive typing, lying in mono-Bug- typeing, making Accelgorit extremely difficult to use efficiently, switching into nearly nothing in the metagame well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is a reliable STAB attack that nails prominent Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types,(ac) such as Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Sceptile. Focus Blast is essential in Accelgor's movepoolfor this set, severely denting Steel- and Rock-types like Gigalith, Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Alolan- Sandslash. A, as well as hitting other Pokemon for more desirable damagesuper effectively, such as Incineroar, Piloswine, Type: Null, Ferroseed, and Cryogonal. Energy Ball primarily deals with troublesome Rock-types, namelysuch as Diancie and Rhydon, as well as dealing damage to Bug-type resistant Pokemon, such as Palossand. Spikes may seem odd on a choice-locked Pokemon, howeverbut Accelgor makes good use of Spikes thanks to its fantastic Speed stat, as well and is being able to layer Spikes on an expected switches from the opponent. U-turn is an alternative to Spikes, enabling Accelgotr to gain momentum against Pokemon that can wall it,;(semicolon > comma) however Spikes is generally the better option, as it's a major contributing factor to Accelgor's viability. “[spikes] is a major contributing factor to accelgor’s viability” doesn’t really explain to me why it’s the better option. Can you explain why it’s a contributing factor to accelgor’s viability? Perhaps you might want to make this more clear by suggesting that layers of spikes is more important than u-turn’s momentum.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investement alongside a Timid nature ensures that Accelgor is the fastest as it can be whilst hitting the hardest it can, alongside a Timid nature, allow while still being Accelgorfast enough to outpace Choice Scarf variants of Passimian. Choice Specs increases Accelgor's Special Attack substantially, converting it into a powerful wallbreaker that' is a force to be reckoned with. Sticky Hold is the preferred Ability as it allows Accelgor to retain its Choice Specs even when hit by Knock Off.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Accelgor's poor defenisve stats, it should avoid switching into foes multiple times, and (rc). Accelgor is best brought in via VoltTurn Pokemon, allowing Accelgor to come in against Pokemon like Slowbro and Guzzlord which it can capitalize on. If the opponent is expected to switch out into a counter against Accelgor, sometimes it's best to use Spikes on the switch, as their presence pressuringes the opponent heavily throughout the game. On the flip side, if the opponent is likely to switch into a Steel- or Rock-type like Steelix or Gigalith, predicting that and going for Focus Blast can throw off the opponent and allow Accelgor to gain momentum rapidly. Likewise, if a Bug-type resistant Pokemon is expected to switch in like Diancie, Rhydon, or Palossand, Energy Ball is the best move Accelgor should go for.

Team Options
========

Accelgor struggles immensely against bulky Flying-types, namely Golbat and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary, so checks to them are necessary. Rock- and Steel-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Steelix make for good teammates, because they effectively handlinge theose Pokemon. Numerous Fire-types pose as major threats to Accelgor;:(colon>semicolon) Incineroar, Houndoom, Magmortar, and Delphox all can either outspeed itAccelgor when holding atheir own Choice Scarf,I assume this sentence means that those fire types outspeed when they have their own choice scarf and I have revised the sentence accordingly. Ignore if I have mistaken what outspeed “it” is referring to (I originally thought you were referring to the Scarf Accelgor set), or immediately force Accelgorit out depending on what move it's locked into, so sufficient countermeasures to them are advised. Again, Rock-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Rhydon are all more than able tof checking these Fire-types. Water-types such as Slowbro, Slowking, Blastoise, Vaporeon, and Samurott can all put Fire-types inso check, taking p Firessure off of Accelgor. Rock-types can tank attacks from Accelgor depending on what move it's choice-locked into, so, taking pressure off of Accelgor. I reversed the following sentence because I feel like the reader might get confused that we are now talking about enemy rock types instead of rock type teammates. I also removed the sentence after that because it simply repeated information that didn’t need to be repeated. If you think that info is really necessary I would recommend rewriting the sentence to something like “Water-, Grass-, and Fighting-types can also deal with the Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-types that can otherwise tank hits from Accelgor depending on the move it is locked into.” I apologize the editor really makes the following part clunky so ya lmk if you don't get what's going on here. Grass-, Steel-, and Fighting-types like Passimian, Whimsicott, and Klinklang are encouraged. Likewigood teammates because with Rock-types, Ground- cand Steel-types cank also tank hitttacks from Accelgor baseddepending on what move it's locked into, so yet again Water-, Grass-, anchoice-locked Fighting-types are good partners for Accelgor. Accelgor appreciates coming into battle via VoltTurn, so pivots like Passimian, Xatu, and Rotom synergize well with Accelgor. Additionally, these 3three Pokemon bounce off of “bounce off” is kind of a weird term, but I can’t think of a better word to replace it with. Maybe “lure in Pokemon Accelgor beats”? Accelgor's weaknessess, pivoting out against Pokemon like Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Whimsicott to let Accelgor in more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Life Orb can be ran over Choice Specs to give Accelgor more freedom while attacking, allowing it to exploit its checks more easily, h (rc). However,(ac) the power drop is siginificant,(rc) and taking chip damage from Life Orb reduces the amount of turns Accelgor can switch into the field with Stealth Rock up. A Spikes Lead set with a Focus Sash can be used, consistinfg of Spikes, Final Gambit, Bug Buzz, and Toxic Spikes, holding a Focus Sash as its item,with Encore ias an option as well. However this set should only be used on hyper offensive teams and generally isn't worth using in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-Types**: Bulky Flying-types like Golbat completely walls Accelgor. Accelgor, doing about's Bug Buzz only does 10% with Bug Buzzto Golbat, whilste Golbat is able to comfortably OHKO it with STAB Brave Bird in return. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary is also able tof tanking Accelgor's attacks, and is able tocan start setting up Substitutes and proceed to Bulk Up. Other less defensive Flying-types like Vivillon, Scyther, and Dodrio can threaten Accelgor with their Flying-type attacks,;(semicolon>comma) however,(ac) these Pokemon are fairly uncommon and either don't switch into hazards well or take huge damage from Focus Blast.

**Rock-types**: Although Accelgor has moves like Focus Blast and Energy Ball at its disposal, Gigalith is still able tof walling Accelgor thanks to its tremendous HP and Special Defense. Diancie and Rhydon don't take Accelgor's hits as well, but are still able of OHKOing it with ease and both tank Bug Buzz and OHKO it back with ease.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority users**: Almost any Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf that outspeeds Accelgor will have very little difficulty in taking it down, thanks to Accelgor'its lacklustrer defensive stats. Examples would include Heliolisk, Houndoom, Togedemaru, Delphox, and Scyther. Priority users like Sucker Punch Toxicroak, Comfey u forgot to finish this sentence

**Steel-types**: Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Togedemaru can all prove extremely troublesome toif Accelgor ifs choice-locked into any attack that's not Focus Blast. Steelix and Klinklang can OHKO Accelgor with their STAB attacks, whereas Togedemaru can outspeed if holding a Choice Scarf and haves a 75% chance to KO Accelgor after Stealth Rock damage. Silvally-Steel can deal hefty damage to Accelgor with Flamethrower and tank even a Choice Specs boosted Focus Blast.

**Fire-types**: Even though none of Accelgor's attacks are super effective against Fire-types, the majority of them struggle to successfully switch into Accelgor. Incineroar and Houndoom are OHKOed by Focus Blast, whilste also taking substantaial damage from Bug Buzz,(period>comma). Delphox takes 70% from Bug Buzz,(rc) and is outpaced if not holding a Choice Scarf. Magmortar takloses well over half its HP from Focus Blast, making it an unreliable switch in. However, despite all of this,(AC) Fire-types like Houndoom and Delphox that typically utilize Choice Scarf are able to outspeed Accelgor and OHKO it with ease. Furthermore, if Accelgor locks itself into Energy Ball against any of these “any of these” meaning only the fire types mentioned or fire-types in general? I assume it’s likely the latter, and if so, you should remove “of these” and the s at the end of types Fire-types, it's immediately forced out.

again yeah sorry i feel bad since i now realize that attempting to figure out whats going on in the edits can be difficult. hopefully i've helped out at least some what. gl in the future!

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
started working on this check under the assumption the amcheck was implemented bc i checked the overview and saw some changes that were added, realised somewhere towards the end that it wasn't, hence why no comments. looks good though from reading over it, if you've got any qs about mine then feel free to ask anytime

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Accelgor's blistering Speed stat, the highest unboosted Speed stat in NU, great Special Attack in tandem with Choice Specs, and valuable coverage coupled with utility moves like Spikes, Accelgor proclaims cements itself as a huge annoyance to teams. Adding onto the point of Accelgor's coverage, Accelgor is able of surprising and dealing massive damage to many unexpectant unexpecting Pokemon, such as to Steelix with Focus Blast and Diancie with Energy Ball. Most notably, Accelgor outpaces the most common Choice Scarf user in NU, with that Pokemon being Passimian, making Accelgor even more menacing to those teams where Passimian is the designated Choice Scarf holder. Unfortunately, Accelgor has rather lackluster defensive stats, combined with a poor defensive typing, lying in mono Bug-type, in mono-Bug, making Accelgor it extremely difficult to use efficently, switching into nearly nothing efficiently and preventing it from switching into nearly anything in the metagame well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is a reliable STAB attack that nails prominent Psychic-, Dark-, and Gras-types Grass-types such as Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Sceptile. Focus Blast is essential in Accelgor's movepool, severely denting Steel and Rock-types like Gigalith, Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Alolan-Sandslash, (comma) as well as hitting other Pokemon for more desirable damage such as Incineroar, Piloswine, Type: Null, Ferroseed, and Cryogonal. Energy Ball primarily deals with troublesome Rock-types, namely Diancie and Rhydon, as well as dealing damage to Bug-type Bug-resistant Pokemon such as Palossand. Spikes may seem odd on a Choice-locked Pokemon; (SC) however, (AC) Accelgor makes good use of Spikes the move thanks to its fantastic Speed stat (RC) as well as being able and ability to layer Spikes on an expected switch from the opponent. U-turn is an alternative to Spikes, enabling Accelgor to gain momentum against Pokemon that can wall it; (SC) however, (AC) Spikes is generally the better option, as it's a major contributing factor to Accelgor's viability.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investement investment ensures that Accelgor is the fastest as it can be whilst hitting the hardest it can, alongside and a Timid nature (RC) allowing allows Accelgor to outpace Choice Scarf variants of Passimian. Choice Specs increases Accelgor's Special Attack substantially, converting it into a powerful wallbreaker that's a force to be reckoned with. Sticky Hold is the preferred ability, (AC) as it allows Accelgor to retain its Choice Specs even when hit by Knock Off.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Accelgor's poor defensive stats, it should avoid switching into foes multiple times, and it is best brought in via VoltTurn Pokemon, allowing Accelgor to come in users against Pokemon like Slowbro and Guzzlord which that it can capitalize on. If the opponent is expected to switch out intoto a counter against Accelgor, sometimes it's best to use Spikes on the switch, pressuring the opponent heavily throughout the game. On the flip side, if the opponent is likely to switch into a Steel- or Rock-type like Steelix or Gigalith, predicting that and going for Focus Blast can throw off the opponent and allow Accelgor to gain momentum rapidly. Likewise, if a Bug-type Bug-resistant Pokemon is expected to switch in like Diancie, Rhydon, (doesn't actually resist Bug) or Palossand, Energy Ball is the best move Accelgor should go for.

Team Options
========

Accelgor struggles immensly immensely against bulky Flying-types, namely Golbat and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary, so checks to them are necessary. Rock- and Steel-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Steelix make for good teammates, effectively handling these Pokemon. Numerous Fire-types pose as major threats to Accelgor; Incineroar, Houndoom, Magmortar, and Delphox can either outspeed it when holding a Choice Scarf (RC) or immediately force Accelgor out depending on what move it's locked into, so sufficent sufficient countermeasures to them are advised. Again, Rock-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Rhydon are all more than capable of checking these Fire-types. Water-types such as Slowbro, Slowking, Blastoise, Vaporeon, and Samurott can all put Fire-types in check, taking pressure off of Accelgor. Rock-types can tank attacks from Accelgor depending on what move it's choice-locked into, so Grass-, Steel-, and Fighting-types like Passimian, Whimsicott, and Klinklang are encouraged. Likewise with Rock-types, Ground- and Steel-types can also tank hits from Accelgor based on what move it's locked into, so yet again Water-, Grass-, and Fighting-types are good partners for Accelgor. Accelgor appreciates coming into battle via VoltTurn, so pivots like Passimian, Xatu, and Rotom synergize well with Accelgor. Additionally, these three Pokemon bounce off Accelgor's weaknessess weaknesses, pivoting out against Pokemon like Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Whimsicott to let Accelgor in more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Life Orb can be ran run over Choice Specs to give Accelgor more freedom while attacking, allowing it to exploit its checks more easily; (SC) however, (AC) the power drop is siginificant significant, and taking chip damage from Life Orb reduces the amount of turns number of times Accelgor can switch into Stealth Rock. A Spikes lead set with Focus Sash can be used, consisting of Spikes, Final Gambit, Bug Buzz, and Toxic Spikes, holding a Focus Sash as its item, with Encore is as an option as well. However, (AC) this set should only be used on hyper offensive teams and generally isn't worth using in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Bulky Flying-types like Golbat completely walls Accelgor, doing taking about 10% with from Bug Buzz (RC) whilst Golbat is while being able to comfortably OHKO it Accelgor with STAB Brave Bird. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary is also able of tanking Accelgor's attacks (RC) and is able to start setting up Substitutes and proceed to Bulk Up. Other less defensive Flying-types like Vivillon, Scyther, and Dodrio can threaten Accelgor with their Flying-type STAB attacks; (SC) however, (AC) these Pokemon are fairly uncommon and either don't switch into hazards well or take huge damage from Focus Blast.

**Rock-types**: Although Accelgor has moves like Focus Blast and Energy Ball at its disposal, Gigalith is still able of walling Accelgor thanks to its tremendous HP and Special Defense. (dead) Diancie and Rhydon don't take Accelgor's hits as well (RC) but are still capable of tanking Bug Buzz and OHKOing it with ease and both tank Bug Buzz with ease.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority users**: Almost any Pokemon holding Choice Scarf that outspeeds Accelgor will have very little difficulty in taking it down, thanks to Accelgor's lackluster defensive stats. Examples would include Heliolisk, Houndoom, Togedemaru, Delphox, and Scyther. Priority users like Sucker Punch Toxicroak, Comfey (finish this sentence pls)

**Steel-types**: Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Togedemaru can all prove extremely troublesome to Accelgor if it's Choice locked (RH) into any attack that's not Focus Blast. Steelix and Klinklang can OHKO Accelgor with their STAB attacks, whereas Togedemaru can outspeed if holding a Choice Scarf and havehas a 75% chance to KO Accelgor after Stealth Rock damage. Silvally-Steel can deal hefty damage to Accelgor with Flamethrower and tank even a Choice Specs-boosted (AH) Focus Blast.

**Fire-types**: Even though none of Accelgor's attacks are super effective against Fire-types, the majority of them struggle to successfully switch into Accelgor it. Incineroar and Houndoom are OHKOed by Focus Blast (RC) whilst also taking substantial damage from Bug Buzz, and Delphox takes 70% from Bug Buzz (RC) and is outpaced if not holding a Choice Scarf. Magmortar takes well over half from Focus Blast, making it an unreliable switch-in. (AH) However, despite all of this, (AC) Fire-types like Houndoom and Delphox that typically utilize Choice Scarf are able to outspeed Accelgor and OHKO it with ease. Furthermore, if Accelgor locks itself into Energy Ball against any of these Fire-types, it's immediately forced out.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to Accelgor's blistering Speed stat, the highest unboosted in NU, (there's really no way to include this without fucking up the sentence as a whole) great Special Attack in tandem with Choice Specs, and valuable coverage coupled with utility moves like Spikes, Accelgor cements itself as a huge annoyance to teams. Adding onto the point of Accelgor's coverage, Accelgor is able capable of surprising and dealing massive damage to many unexpecting unsuspecting Pokemon, such as to hitting Steelix with Focus Blast and Diancie with Energy Ball. Most notably, Accelgor outpaces the most common Choice Scarf user in NU, Passimian, making Accelgor even more menacing to teams where Passimian is the designated Choice Scarf holder. Unfortunately, Accelgor has rather lackluster defensive stats, (RC) combined with and a poor defensive typing in mono-Bug, making it extremely difficult to use efficiently and preventing it from switching into nearly anything in the metagame well.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bug Buzz is a reliable STAB attack that nails prominent Psychic-, Dark-, and Grass-types such as Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Sceptile. Focus Blast is essential in Accelgor's movepool, severely denting Steel and Rock-types like Gigalith, Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Alolan-Sandslash Alolan Sandslash, as well as hitting other Pokemon for more desirable damage such as Incineroar, Piloswine, Type: Null, Ferroseed, and Cryogonal. Energy Ball primarily deals with troublesome Rock-types, namely Diancie and Rhydon, as well as dealing and it deals damage to Bug-resistant Pokemon such as Palossand. Spikes may seem odd on a Choice-locked Pokemon; however, Accelgor makes good use of the move thanks to its fantastic Speed stat and ability to layer set multiple layers of Spikes on an expected switch from the opponent. U-turn is an alternative to Spikes, enabling Accelgor to gain momentum against Pokemon that can wall it; however, Spikes is generally the better option, as it's a major contributing factor to Accelgor's viability.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment ensures that Accelgor is the fastest as it can be whilst hitting the hardest it can hits as fast and hard as possible, and a Timid nature allows Accelgor to outpace Choice Scarf variants of Passimian. Choice Specs increases Accelgor's Special Attack substantially, converting it into a powerful wallbreaker that's a force to be reckoned with. Sticky Hold is the preferred ability, as it allows Accelgor to retain its Choice Specs even when hit by Knock Off. (Worth noting that, despite it being the first slash, Modest is not mentioned at all. Fix this.)

Usage Tips
========

Due to Accelgor's poor defensive stats, it should avoid switching into foes multiple times, and it is best brought in via with the help of VoltTurn users against Pokemon like Slowbro and Guzzlord that it can capitalize on. If the opponent is expected to switch out to a counter against bring in a counter to Accelgor, sometimes it's best to use Spikes on the switch, pressuring the opponent heavily throughout the game. On the flip side, if the opponent is likely to switch into a Steel- or Rock-type like Steelix or Gigalith, predicting that and going for Focus Blast can throw off the opponent and allow Accelgor to gain momentum rapidly. Likewise, if a Bug-resistant Pokemon is expected to switch in like Diancie, Steelix, or Palossand, Energy Ball and Focus Blast are the best move moves Accelgor should go for.

Team Options
========

Accelgor struggles immensely against bulky Flying-types, namely Golbat and Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary, so checks to them are necessary. Rock- and Steel-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Steelix make for good teammates, effectively handling these Pokemon. Numerous Fire-types pose as major threats to Accelgor; Incineroar, Houndoom, Magmortar, and Delphox can either outspeed it when if holding a Choice Scarf or immediately force Accelgor out depending on what move it's locked into, so sufficient countermeasures to them are advised. Again, Rock-types like Diancie, Gigalith, and Rhydon are all more than capable of checking these Fire-types. Water-types such as Slowbro, Slowking, Blastoise, Vaporeon, and Samurott can all put Fire-types in check, taking pressure off of Accelgor. Rock-types can tank attacks from Accelgor depending on what move it's locked into, so Grass-, Steel-, and Fighting-types like Passimian, Whimsicott, and Klinklang, (AC) and Passimian are encouraged good partners. Likewise with Similarly to Rock-types, Ground- and Steel-types can also tank hits from Accelgor based on what move it's locked into, so yet again Water-, Grass-, and Fighting-types are good partners for Accelgor. Accelgor appreciates coming into battle via safely with VoltTurn support, so pivots like Passimian, Xatu, and Rotom synergize well with Accelgor. Additionally, these three Pokemon bounce off Accelgor's weaknesses, pivoting out these three can pivot out against Pokemon that naturally answer them like Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Whimsicott to let Accelgor in more easily. (This sentence really didn't make sense at all in its initial state—you say that they can "bounce off" Accelgor's weaknesses, then elaborate by listing Pokemon that Accelgor is naturally STRONG against, and therefore are not its weaknesses. I went with this instead because it made sense from a logical standpoint. You're free to make the sentence "Additionally, these three Pokemon can check threats to Accelgor like blablabla, and they can pivot out against Pokemon that naturally answer them like Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Whimsicott to let Accelgor in more easily.")

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Life Orb can be run over Choice Specs to give Accelgor more freedom while attacking, allowing it to exploit its checks more easily; however, the power drop in power is significant, and taking chip damage from Life Orb reduces the number of times Accelgor can switch into Stealth Rock. A Spikes lead set with Focus Sash can be used, consisting of Spikes, Final Gambit, Bug Buzz, and Toxic Spikes, with Encore as an option as well. However, this set should only be used on hyper offensive teams and generally isn't worth using in most cases.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Bulky Flying-types like Golbat completely walls Accelgor, taking about 10% from Bug Buzz while being able to comfortably OHKO Accelgor and comfortably OHKOing it in return with STAB Brave Bird. Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary is also able of tanking Accelgor's attacks and is able to start setting up Substitutes and Bulk Up setting up on it. Other less defensive Flying-types like Vivillon, Scyther, and Dodrio can threaten Accelgor with their STAB attacks; however, these Pokemon are fairly uncommon and either don't switch into entry hazards well or take huge damage from Focus Blast.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority users Users**: Almost any Pokemon holding Choice Scarf that outspeeds Accelgor will have very little difficulty taking it down, (RC) thanks to Accelgor's lackluster defensive stats. Examples would of Choice Scarf users include Heliolisk, Houndoom, Togedemaru, Delphox, and Scyther. Priority users like Comfey and Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak Decidueye can pick off Accelgor pretty easily as well.

**Rock-types**: Although Accelgor has moves like Focus Blast and Energy Ball at its disposal, Diancie, Rhydon, and Aerodactyl are capable of OHKOing Accelgor with ease their STAB attacks.

**Steel-types**: Steelix, Klinklang, Silvally-Steel, and Togedemaru can all prove extremely troublesome to Accelgor if it's Choice locked into any attack that's not Focus Blast. Steelix and Klinklang can OHKO Accelgor with their STAB attacks, whereas Togedemaru can outspeed it if holding a Choice Scarf and has a 75% chance to KO OHKO Accelgor after Stealth Rock damage. Silvally-Steel can deal hefty damage to Accelgor with Flamethrower and tank even a Choice Specs-boosted Focus Blast.

**Fire-types**: Even though none of Accelgor's attacks are super effective against Fire-types, the majority of them struggle to successfully switch into it. Incineroar and Houndoom are OHKOed by Focus Blast whilst also taking and take substantial damage from Bug Buzz, and Delphox takes 70% from Bug Buzz and is outpaced if not holding a Choice Scarf. Magmortar takes well over half from Focus Blast, making it an unreliable switch-in. However, despite all of this, Fire-types like Houndoom and Delphox that typically utilize Choice Scarf are able to outspeed Accelgor and OHKO it with ease. Furthermore, if Accelgor locks itself into Energy Ball against any of these Fire-types, it's immediately forced out.(This seems a bit weird as a checks and counters section. Consider moving the bit about how they threaten it to before the bit about how it threatens them?)

2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)