CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 9 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
WIP

Pjantasm

Probably pronounced "pa-JAN-tas-um"
From Pajama + Phantasm (obviously). Not super happy with it, but it's the best I've got right now.

Aaaand let's do some feedback!

Just a heads up, I'm SUPER picky when it comes to pokemon names. I feel like a lot of these are kinda complicated. Pokemon names ought to have a natural flow to them. My favorites so far are Napparition, Phantazee, Snoozilla, Slumberserk, and (oh I just saw this one I swear, no similarity intended) Pajantom. Each syllable naturally flows into the next because of the words they're made of.

When coming up with names, I find it's helpful to make a word list and find ways to combine those, so here's the one I made for this in case anyone else wants inspiration. I was having a hard time getting a good syllabic flow with most of these so maybe you'll see something I didn't. (I'll try to put it in a hide/expand thing but idk how this works so forgive me if it doesn't right away).

Snooze

Sleep

Somn-

REM

Pajamas

Slumber

Nap

Dream

Bed

Unconcsious

Coma

Little

Yawn

Lucid

Drowsy

Soul

Nightmare

Trance

Haunt

Spook

Banshee

Specter

Conjure

Astral

Phantasm

Apparition

Guardian

Paladin

Dragon

Wyrm

Beast

Monster

Critter

Gargoyle

Brave

Demon
And I kind of sorted them by category too, so it's especially good if you can incorporate words across categories. Probably don't try for 3 though, since those names tend to lose flow in my opinion. (And I didn't even get words for trapping yet, so it's certainly not an all-inclusive list.)

And one last note: I'd say that for this CAP especially to focus on the more cute words, as the Pokemon itself is the little thing. Words like "Snooze," "Cuddle," "Pajamas," and "Nap" are the ones that best fit the feel of this one, in my opinion. It doesn't feel so much like a poltergeist or a demon (yes demon is on the list anyway it case there's something that fits reeally well). And really, the design doesn't even focus much on being a dragon. It focuses on sleep and conjuring a spirit guardian thing, so I feel that the name should kind of focus on the same thing. Ya feel me? Anyway, let me know if this is helpful and good luck to all!

EDIT: Oh and one more note on name flow. When combining words on a vowel sound, try make sure it's not just the letter, but also the same sound. 99% of time words combined on different vowel sounds just feel kinda awkward. I'll give an example. If you combine Hydra and Apparition to be "Hydrapparition" (I know this name isn't legal, it's just an example), you're combining Hydra's "Uh" and Apparition's "Ah." Doesn't flow as well, even though they're both A's. (And it's not really even a Hydra but that matters less than name flow imo...)

And when combining on consonant sounds, you should look at the stressed syllable in the word. Like Volkraken works because it's combined on the "k" sound and both "volCANo" and "KRAKen" are both stressed on the syllable following the "k" sound.

Last edited:
WIP

Drayzy

Pronounced like Jay-Z, but Dray-Z.

Comes from Drowsy and Drake. Thought that a cute little mon should have a fittingly cute name.

Alternatively, Driria

From Drowsy and Dragon again, but also with Spirit. Though it comes off sounding like Dreary, which I'm not sure whether or not it fits.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Slumbral
From Slumber and Umbral, a somewhat archaic Latin word for ghost, shadows, and apparations.

Napathy

From Nap and Apathy, related to the way the sleeping kid doesn't seem to care that it's in battle, but rather the ghosty guy is.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Lucidfer
Combination of Lucid and... Lucifer. Lucid I think is such a good base for a name, as it implies lucid dreaming, which is freedom to do what you want while dreaming. Lucifer because look at that nightmare. It not only looks evil, but even has those ram horns

Naptor
Nap + raptor. Hehe.

WIP

Draithereal

(Dray-THERE-ee-all)

From "Dragon", "Wraith", and "Ethereal".

Spectilian

(Speck-TILL-ee-ann)

From "Specter" and "Reptilian".
I prefer Spectillian. It seems clearer.
WIP

Phantazee

(Fan-tuh-zee)

Phantasm + Fantasy + Zees as in ZZZ or counting Zs. :^J

alternatively

Phantazed
(Fan-tuh-zeh-d)
Same thing, but british pronounciation of Z.
While using the British pronunciation myself, I think the first is a better pun.
WIP

Drayzy

Pronounced like Jay-Z, but Dray-Z.

Comes from Drowsy and Drake. Thought that a cute little mon should have a fittingly cute name.

Alternatively, Driria

From Drowsy and Dragon again, but also with Spirit. Though it comes off sounding like Dreary, which I'm not sure whether or not it fits.
Drazy is simpler in a good way.
WIP

Slumbral
From Slumber and Umbral, a somewhat archaic Latin word for ghost, shadows, and apparations.
Napathy
From Nap and Apathy, related to the way the sleeping kid doesn't seem to care that it's in battle, but rather the ghosty guy is.
I think Slumbral is more fitting.
WIP

Lucidfer
Combination of Lucid and... Lucifer. Lucid I think is such a good base for a name, as it implies lucid dreaming, which is freedom to do what you want while dreaming. Lucifer because look at that nightmare. It not only looks evil, but even has those ram horns

Naptor
Nap + raptor. Hehe.
Lucidfer is clearer.

WIP

Imprism

Given that we're dealing with dreams, and dozing, and we have a ghost typing, one of the most immediate thoughts was as a Lich type creature, who historically hosted their souls inside phylacteries; commonly troped as something like a piece of Jewellery or a gemstone. You've also got the fact that Ghosts are considered "tricks of the light" when looking through camera lens; which are perhaps prisms. And Imp, playful thing, but also monstrous, possibly demonic. Also a pun on Imprison, given it's reliance on trapping moves.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Siesdra
(See-ess-druh)

Siesta + Dragon

I just wanted to pick the cutest word for sleeping I could think of.

Also, hi, first CAP post since 2015.

B R A I N L I C K E R

Banned deucer.
WIP

Zzzilla

It’s asleep and a dragon!! Gets both points across perfectly (Zzz + Godzilla)

Pronounced: Zuzz-zilla

Horace

Horchata (a common hot drink to make one fall asleep) + ace (has an ace up its sleeve to trap unsuspecting mons).

feedback welcome!!

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Comare

A combination of “comatose” (or “coma”) and “snare” (synonym for trap which loosely implies that catches things unfortunate enough to be in its range)

Pronunciation: comb-AIR
IPA: koʊmɛər

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP

Sneweer

Deriving from Snooze, Ewe (baby sheep), and Weary (to be tired)

Last edited:
WIP

Dracarcerem

A simple merging of "Draco" which is Latin for dragon, and the dragon word for prison, "Carcerem". Bonus points for it ending in "R.E.M."

Pronunciation: Druh-car-sir-ehm

Luruam

"Laraum" is Latin for specter, which fit the ghost typing, and the word "lure" to fit both a creepy and control feeling.

Pronunciation: Ler-uhm

WIP

Brusha

"Bruadar" + "Hogo-Sha"
Pronounced: "Brew-SHA"

I used the Scottish Gaelic word for "Dream" (Bruadar) and combined it with the Japanese word for "Guardian" (Hogo-Sha). The artwork has the small dragon using that spirit dragon to protect it while it sleeps so I feel that "Dream Guardian" would best describe this CAP.

WIP

Dracarcerem

A simple merging of "Draco" which is Latin for dragon, and the dragon word for prison, "Carcerem". Bonus points for it ending in "R.E.M."

Pronunciation: Druh-car-sir-ehm

Luruam

"Laraum" is Latin for specter, which fit the ghost typing, and the word "lure" to fit both a creepy and control feeling.

Pronunciation: Ler-uhm
I prefer Dracarcerem. It's clearer.

WIP 1

Wishalp

Wish + Vishap (a dragon from armenian mythology) + Alp (taken from Alptraum, the german word for nightmare)

Pronounced: WISH - alp
IPA: wɪʃ-əlp

Because Ohmagod wasn't cool enough

WIP 2

Comahgod

Coma + "Oh my God"
I just like the pun, which is something commonly done in Pokemon.

Pronounced: COU-mah-god
IPA: ˈkoʊməgɒd

WIP

Dremyni

Pronounced: DRE-me-nai
Portmanteau of dreamy eyes and Gemini.
Gemini because CAP 23 is a paired entity (the dreamer and the dream)
Contains rem as reference to REM sleep

Last edited:
Knapmor

Pronunciation: NAP-mohr

Coming from nap, to sleep, as well as the latter half of kidnapping (reference to trapping, while not being obvious), and Morpheus, the Greek god of dreams, as well as a reference to the mon sleeping for the whole battle.

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Spectrid

Pronounced: spec-trid

Coming off the wordd Spectral and Lucid. Spectral was used to give it the ghostly features in it's name, lucid to add the association with dreams (Lucid Dreaming to be exact). I also think the combo just gives off dragonic vibes.

WIP

Phobulism

Pronounced: Fo-bu-LI-sm

It's a mashups between Phobetor, which is the name of the Greek god of nightmares and was known to create monstrous creatures to protect the dream land and somnambulism which is the scientific name for sleepwalking.

Also, WOW it's been way to long since I've posted something here.

WIP

Mousetrance

"Mousetrap" (or "Mouse") + "Trance"

"Mousetrap" to refer to CAP 23's concept as a trapper, but "Mouse" also possibly referring to the smaller body in CAP 23's design. "Trance" in relation to it's ability as a synonym to "Dream". Pronounced as literally as it's spelled.

W.I.P.

Drajama

Pretty obvious name mixture for the dragon being Dragon + Pajama. I was also gonna go with Pajamagon but that sounded stupid so I went with Drajama instead.

Final Submission

Nemuroar

Nemurin is japanese for sleep, and it is named after best girl Nemurin.
Roar is roar.

Last edited:
WIP

Wremlyng

REM + Wyrmling

REM (rapid eye movement) sleep a phase of sleep where the sleeper dreams vividly.
Wyrmling is what a baby dragon is called.

Oberem

OBE + REM

OBE - out-of-body experience, which refers to thaa astral projection the baby dragon has.
REM - as explained above

Last edited:
WIP

Lucidra

Lucid + dra(gon) + hydra

Found this more fitting than Lucidrake, both sound-wise and because of the additional "hydra" reference.

I think it should not be more evil-sounding than this, 80% of the submissions here are imo not "cute" enough to reflect that CAP is actually still a baby dragon. Can't find anything better rn tho.
Feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)