USUM NU Teambuilding Competition (Round 5: Zangoose - Voting Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round Four: Klinklang

[13:47:21]+stan soojunng:do klinklang next round
[13:47:37]+stan soojunng:and watch everyone submit the same xatu / klang / drud team

I will give until Wednesday, October 25, 11:00 PM GMT to submit.
All teams will be locked at this time.
Then the voting stage will begin.
EARTH IS BANNED FROM SUBMITTING TEAMS
(just kidding)

Klinklang @ Steelium Z
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Magnet Rise
- Gear Grind
- Return

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
Happiness: 0
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Fake Tears

I'm a firm believer that Magnet Rise + Steelium Z Klinklang is the superior set as oppose to sub or wild charge, as Magnet Rise allows u to set up on mons like Piloswine, Rhydon, and sometimes lix dependant on how low it is and whether or not it's carrying roar or curse. Xatu synergies very well w klink, being able to come in against all of it's counters and checks, namely being Seismitoad and Steelix, whilst keeping hazards off the field and providing momentum throughout U-turn, enabling Klinklang to come in against common Xatu switch ins such as Cryogonal, Vaniluxe, Maudino etc. Drud + Garb was the next core that i added to the team, enabling it to act as from of hazard stack. Drud lures in mons like Whimsi and Cryo for gears much like Xatu, while acting as my designated rocker, also crippling mons w paralysis and phasing out and wearing down foes w hazards is highly beneficial for the gears, scarf phox, and whimsi. I decided to go w a more odd, offensive Garb to help my overall matchup against mons that i'm already quite weak to, with some of those being Guzz, offensive MAudino, and gettin some surprise KOs against mons like Vani, Delphox, Sigi, Samu, and Braviary, all which can prove troublesome. Next up i needed some speed on the team, especially for being hazard stack orientated, so i decided to go w scarf Delphox. Being arguably the best scarfer rn, it greatly helps my matchup against mons like Whimsi, Omastar, and Vani, also being able to spam fblast or psychic against teams w no immunities on hazard stack is rlly nice. Additionally, Delphox can easily pressure mons like Lix and Toad, causing a lot of 50/50s for the opponent to make, also being a great lead vs Froslass ho, which can be annoying towards Xatu + Drud + Garb. Finally, Whimsicott was my last mon of choice, patching up the glaring weakness of the inability to really hit bulky waters like Bro, King and Toad well, and even helping out w the weakness to Special Samu. Up until now the team was also very weak to Guzzlord, Xatu can lure it in for whimsi w u-turn and try and patch up that weakness. I went w the idea of Fake Tears Whimsicott for a number of reasons, 1 of them being to prevent Golbat from removing hazards, secondly, trying to deter Cryo from removing hazards, and overall just helping out against mons that could usually come in safely vs whimsi, such as Miltank, MAudino, non scarf Phox, and bulky Vika.

Obvioulsy the team isn't perfect, and is still weak to certain cores or builds, being easily pressured by Specs Ice Cream, and mons like Doom + Bro, but it's still a fun team nonetheless that i enjoy using :o

Grinds your Gears (Klinklang) @ Steelium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Wild Charge
- Substitute

Doot (Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Attack
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- U-Turn
- Roost

Chill Fam (Cryogonal) @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Recover

Wart (Seismitoad) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Spook (Mismagius) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Power Gem
- Psychic

Froggo (Toxicroak) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge

Sub + Shift Gear Klinklang is just a force to be reckoned with, and similar to what Stan said, Xatu makes a very great partner as it can take on the Ground and Fighting Types that counter Klinklang, and Klinklang can counter Xatu's Ice and Rock weaknesses and U-Turn can help gain momentum. Cryogonal is just an offensive spinner and can hit Flying Types (Namely Bulk Up Braviary) and the bulky Druddigon, it also runs Flash Cannon to it Vanilluxe pretty decently. Seismitoad is to set up hazards, Toxic tanks, counters Fire and Steel Types, and burn with Scald that will aid Klinklang's set up. Mismagius works as a spinblocking NP sweeper running Power Gem and Psychic that can make work of Fighting and Fire Types and counters Houndoom pretty hard. Toxicroak acts as a revenge killer that hits about everything hard.

Last edited:
WHOMST'D'VE
>><<
Klinklang is the main focus of this team, i decided to go with a 3atks Shift Gear said which shouldn't need much explaining because it's fairy standard. I chose to use Jellicent because of its ability to cripple mons such as Hitmonlee, Emboar, Delphox and Typhlosion. Rhydon has decent synergy with Jellicent because it can absorb Electric-type attacks while Jellicent absorbs Water-type attacks. Delphox acts as my first Grass resist as well as my Choice Scarf user, it's able to take on mons such as Whimsicott, Rotom-C and Vileplume with rather ease. Golbat is my secondary Grass resist and also provides me good hazard control. Guzzlord was my last mon of choice because it's just generally a good mon that lacks reliable switch ins that don't invite in Klinklang for free bar like 1 or 2.

Last edited:
Voting for Round FOUR has ended.... and our winner is:
Stan Soojung!

Klinklang @ Steelium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Magnet Rise
- Gear Grind
- Return

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Garbodor @ Toxic Plate
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Dazzling Gleam

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Fake Tears

Congratulations to this round's winner who now is inducted in the Hall Of Fame!

Round Five is coming soon - stay tuned!

Ok I'm awake really late and I get on to see this so if there are typos or some messed up EVs don't point them out I'll fix them so chill I'm sick as hell right now

Ear Fuzz (Delphox) @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Fire Blast
-Psyshock
-Grass Knot

Return of Cotton (Whimsicott) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Encore

It's Still Lee (Hitmonlee) @ Black Belt
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
-High Jump Kick
-Rapid Spin
-Knock Off
-Mach Punch

DeVito (Garbodor) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Attack / 56 Def / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Gunk Shot
-Drain Punch
-Toxic Spikes
-Toxic

Ocean Man (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpA / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Haze
-Ice Beam
-Toxic

ew Vanilla (Vanilluxe) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature
-Freeze-Dry
-Flash Cannon
-Blizzard
-Hidden Power Ground

I prefer the Calm Mind Delphox as a late game sweeper over Scarf or the Mystical Fire set. It pretty much destroys anything that doesn't run Sucker Punch or is Scarfed once it has +1 or +2 set up, it runs Grass Knot and Grassium Z to nuke Seismitoad, Regirock, the Slow brothers, and Rhydon. I put Whimsicott in as it can take the Water, Dark, Ground, and Rock Types that plague Phox, and Phox can take on Poison, Ice, Steel and resists other Fire Types pretty well. Hitmonlee was added in order to be a revenge killer and to spin away hazards for Phox, it can also bop many things with High Jump Kick and Knock Off. Garbodor is my spike setting tank that Toxics annoying walls and switch into revenge killers to get Rocky Helmet or Aftermath damage. Haze Vaporeon is a pretty underrated set up killer, especially against stuff like Omastar and Calm Mind Slowbro where it can absorb Water moves, it can also Scald or Toxic them to make sure they won't try to do it again. I threw in Vanilluxe to put an end to the rare rain teams that hurt Phox and that Vanil can eat Flying Types like Xatu, it also has Explosion just for a quick suicide that will safely put something on the field

edit: ok after a lot of consideration I've decided to change Garbodor's spikes to tspikes, put in Freeze Dry over Blizzard on Vanilluxe, and give Garbodor just Def EVs instead of Def and SpD EVs. Nothing much just have had more success with them.

ha I meant to replace Explosion with Freeze Dry rip

Last edited:

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect

I thank the guys from the NU room for the help in setting up this team, I decided to start with Delphox Scarf due to the fact that he pressed hard with his Stabs, I put Dazzling Gleam in place of Grass Knot to apply more pressure on Dragon and Dark Types, seeing that Houndoom , Slowbro press this set I decided to put Guzzlord to check both, Virizion for Water pokemons, Rockium Z to get vileplumes, Seismitoad enters as my setter, Golbat to handle some fight moves and finally Cryogonal as Spinner and tbm as a possible ice resist, taking in view that the team suffers for ice types

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Mesprit @ Fairium Z
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Trick

Hitmonlee @ Fist Plate
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 216 Def / 12 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Protect

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Substitute
- Return
- Gear Grind

This team is relatively standard, barring the Mesprit set, but I have personally find it to be quite effective. The core of the team is certainly the offensive synergy between the Mesprit and the Delphox, as I outline here, but there is also a pretty generic defensive backbone integrated into the team as well. I find that you need Mesprit to do exceedingly well and to Trick the right things with Delphox and cripple the right things with Audino in order to win late game with Klinklang or Hitmonlee against stallish builds, but overall the team does quite well against most variants of offense and balance. I suppose teams with Vileplume that have Klinklang fully dealt with and an actual counter to Trick Delphox to be irksome, too, but that's a pretty specific combination of things. Anyway, Klinklang is the team's win condition, Audino wears things down and cripples them when paired with this Seismitoad, and Hitmonlee is there for hazard control and hard hitting on the Physical side (also decent speed control w/ Mach and highish base speed). I enjoy using this team when not facing people who already know the Mesprit set, so I figured I would share it as it fits this round's Pokemon and I already posted the Mesprit set/used it in a few tournament matches.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Round 5.2: Zangoose!

Durza and I decided to pick this Pokemon because it's the Pokemon with one of the biggest additions to it's arsenal, being Belly Drum. This move shot it up so far, it landed in A+ on the Viability Rankings. Therefore, we would like to see what the NU community has got in terms of building with this Pokemon :).
Deadline is Friday (12 / 8 / 17)
Have fun! :toast:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Uxie @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento

Zangoose @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Immunity
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Memento

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn
- Frustration

So like yeah I don't play this tier but I've been wanting to get into it kinda and this is the first NU team i've ever made in GEN 7, aaand idk shit about the meta soo like... yeah. Basically most of my fav mon are scrubass mons such as Zangoose so I've been wanting to play NU and then when i joined the room and the poll was "does zangoose deserve a suspect?" or something like that i was like "OH SHIT IM BUILDING WITH ZANGOOSE!" So yeah heres my attempt, idk wtf im doing but basically it obvi revolves around Zangoose and I personally hate playing HO and have always been a balance player so I went down that route. I've been using memento support on setup sweepers for ages so I knew Whimsicott would be cool with Zangoose and a buncha other things to put dents into the opposing squad such as the band Sneasel, and scarf Lee, whilst having something that can reliably switch in on a lot of things like Type: Null (which btw is one of the coolest mons ive seen in ages). Also obviously I need a rocker n shit cuz u know... rocks are pretty mandatory on any competitive team and I originally had Druddigon just cause wtf why not, but then played against my bff Brandon and he hit me wit the dual screens so I said fuck it and brought the dual screens and badabing here we are with a trashass team but I'll take what I can get, first legit NU team ever, pls dont be mean :,(.

Gosh dang it Durza you up and bamboozled me...

haha these are the best Gen 7 mon images I could dig up (unintentional sand pun)
also apparently they're laggy as hell

Don't Know Cut (Zangoose) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly Nature
-Facade
-Quick Attack
-Knock Off
-Close Combat

Fort Knox (Palossand) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Shadow Ball
-Shore Up
-Earth Power

Stonk (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
-Pursuit
-Sucker Punch
-Defog
-Poison Jab

Slowest of Bros (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Slack Off
-Calm Mind

Pink (Silvally-Fairy) @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Gentle Nature
-Multi-Attack
-Flamethrower
-Parting Shot
-Thunder Wave

Mankey (Passimian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reciever
Jolly Nature
-Taunt
-Close Combat
-Knock Off
-Gunk Shot

I just started off with a pretty ordinary Toxic Orb Facade set, nothing too crazy (I personally heavily dislike the Belly Drum set, I usually find myself getting Taunted or taken down below 50% by faster mons and it is cleaned up by priority. Also its just Encore bait from Whims or Liepard, but Belly Drum is a lot more effective at doing damage than the Orb Facade set.). I've been using Palossand A LOT lately, and this set has been working quite well for me at least. Sets up hazards, spinblocks, recovers HP. All around just a great defensive mon. Skunktank is the Pursuit trapping Defogger that can help take out Whimsicott, Florges, and Delphox with its STAB. Slowbro is the generic wall with Calm Mind to set up sweeps, it also it also provides a Water resist the team needed. Fairyvally was added to nuke Druddigon, Hitmonlee, and Guzzlord, and Parting Shot is a great pivot move to help Slowbro to come set up or other teammates for a safe switch in. Passimian is another win condition that can hit Steel, Ghost, and Rock types better than Palossand, and he can Taunt set up and slower Defoggers

Yah this isn't my best team but it isn't my worst (looks at Z-Growth Chloro Whimsicott)
Yah they are on low ladder cuz I'm pretty low ladder but... its better than nothing. Also they aren't very great replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nu-669386616

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nu-669396929 (Only won with little to no HP so...)

I'll try to get some more soon

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Unfortunately, we have a slight lack of teams, so Durza and I decided to extend team submissions until the end of the day. That means you have until 11:59 (EST) to submit teams. Please be sure to get your teams in within that time!

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Serious Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shore Up

Houndoom @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Flame Charge

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 Def / 112 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Psychic

I put Zangoose Toxic Boost for finding it more effective in battle, to cover its weakness Fight decided to put Palossand Bold, put a Colbur Berry in order to weaken the damage Knock off and other Dark Moves, Houndoom was set to prevent Delphox from taking advantage of the team and with the Z Move function, Golbat enters as my Defogger and my other barrier option, Whimsicott coming in as my second special attacker option, and finally Hariyama Thick Fat to be able to cover the disadvantage of the team to Ice and also as second physical attacker

Last edited:
im just confused why people are using toxic orb zangoose
Well I guess I'll explain this again, I personally heavily dislike Belly Drum sets, especially when your as frail as Zangoose, specifically because 1. It's Encore and Taunt Bait from Whims and Liepard. 2. It's a must to carry Memento or Parting Shot to actual give it a chance to set up cuz once again Zangoose is frail. 3. It's easy to just put it down with priority even at 75%. I prefer Toxic Orb Zangoose since it doesnt have these issues as bad. I will admit that Belly Drum is a better set than Toxic Orb. Toxic Orb kills itself and doesnt do good enough damage. I will say this again: Belly Drum is a better set, but it's a lot more risky. It is personal experience and preference that makes me use Toxic Orb Facade. Sorry if this turned out to be an essay.

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Well I guess I'll explain this again, I personally heavily dislike Belly Drum sets, especially when your as frail as Zangoose, specifically because 1. It's Encore and Taunt Bait from Whims and Liepard. 2. It's a must to carry Memento or Parting Shot to actual give it a chance to set up cuz once again Zangoose is frail. 3. It's easy to just put it down with priority even at 75%. I prefer Toxic Orb Zangoose since it doesnt have these issues as bad. I will admit that Belly Drum is a better set than Toxic Orb. Toxic Orb kills itself and doesnt do good enough damage. I will say this again: Belly Drum is a better set, but it's a lot more risky. It is personal experience and preference that makes me use Toxic Orb Facade. Sorry if this turned out to be an essay.
Well, Whismicott is often not running Encore, especially when there are way better answers to Zangoose that you could run. Also, Liepard isn't run that much, usually it's used as a Rain setter if it's used at all. Most Ghosts check it well, although Mismagius is required to run a z-move different from Never-Ending Nightmare. Zangoose being frail isn't really an issue if you give it Parting Shot or Memento support, as well as if you put potential checks in Quick Attack range. Oftentimes, you won't even die from priority, even Mach Punch from Choice Scarf Hitmonlee. So, I can't really agree with the points you make in your argument. Zangoose will fail if you don't give it the right support, but if you do, the flaws you list above, and even some of the ones I list, won't really be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)