Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost forgot to take care of this before tomorrow, whoops :bloblul:
However, both Cynde and sei's teams are tied at 6 votes, so to avoid myself having to break the tie at all costs I'm gonna keep the voting up till tomorrow when I wake up, so anyone who wants to throw their hat in the ring can (or punish me for being a john and make me have to do it anyway). We'll proceed as we normally do after that!

Thanks for voting guys! 'sei. wins this week, congratulations!

This week we've got Moltres! A mon definitely deserving of the hype with the support of new Defog users, it can come in more freely to decimate unprepared teams with its montrous offensive STAB combination. It also packs great matchups against some of the tier's top Pokemon like Scizor and Serperior, so a lot of teams without an Aerodactyl might find themselves in a pinch against it. No specific set this week, build to your heart's content! (Just don't use like Choice Band or something, for the sake of my sanity.) Voting will go up Saturday!

When building this team I decided to use a core consisting of Scizor + Moltres, they compliment each other quite nicely. I felt that Mega Sceptile complimented this core very well because of its ability to absorb Electric-type attacks and threaten Water-types that both Moltres and Scizor tend to struggle with. I decided to add Seismitoad because of its ability to check the ever so present Mega Manectric and Rotom-W. I realised that i needed some sort of speed control that could potentially revive Mega Sceptile while also being able to deal with Infernape, which, between its wide array of sets, can be really annoying. Lastly i realised i was absolutely retarded for not using hazard removal with Moltres lol, I was lacking a good Fairy-type so i decided to use Florges, it also provides nice support with Aromatherapy and has good synergy with Moltres.​

Last edited:

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'm in. n_n gimme a bit to build.

Molt(racer)res (Moltres) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Ms. Fat Booty (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Protect

Monster 4th Verse (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Badman (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Discount Flareon (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

TSR is from here (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

So like I had a team ready for this a few hours ago but I was late to post it and these other goons highkey posted teams close to identical as mine so I made a new one. I obviously started with Moltres, and originally had Seismitoad and Serperior along with it for a nice core to really handle and take care of Moltres's obvious Washtom problems... but this all fell apart and I ended up with no fairy resist aside from Moltres, no ground type, and overall a team that was actually pretty good but I didn't think it fit my playstyle. So I redesigned it I got rid of Serperior and the Malt I had and added Mscept (to kind of serve a similar purpose and also take care of Washtom since I ended up getting rid of toad), got rid of Seismitoad for Registeel, for a better Lati switch in, and physical tank (I decided this after getting swept by a Lati turn 1 lul), Now with this I was now lacking a fairy type, and a cleric (Alomomomomomola was my original one), so I added Sylveon as my cleric since clerics are pretty common on balance. Now I still needed a ground type and some reliable hazard removal (since this is a Moltres team). Now to complete a lil fwg core and for reliable removal and just a bulky pivot and everything Washtom seemed like the perfect fit for me on this squad. Now I already have rocks, but want a ground type, AND have always wanted to try 4 attacks Mamo so here it is, the 4 attacks Mamo with less SpA EVS than Atk EVS just to not trigger TSR (It prob will anyways fml).

Shoutout my bff surg for Registeel idea n_n

Last edited:

Accel

arise
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

(click the above image and it will magically teleport you to the importable)
As the team's title suggests, I proceeded to built a balanced team centered around Whirlwind Flyinium-Z Moltres and the three most supportive hazards in Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. The Moltres set and spread are fairly standard apart from the aforementioned Whirlwind, and this allows for me to shuffle the opponent's team around while potentially wearing down its checks so that they may be easier to take down later. Seismitoad checks both Rotom-W and Mega Aerodactyl, which are two of Moltres's most common annoyances, while also providing the standard utility that is expected from it. Klefki and Tentacruel similarly support Moltres with their respective hazard support as well as hazard removal from Tentacruel's end. The only move that could be deemed 'unorthodox' on Tentacruel is Sludge Wave, which helps it to chip away at Azumarill instead of foolishly hoping to burn it via Scald. The last two members of the team support both each other very well offensively while appreciating the presence of hazards to wear down their respective checks. Serperior can prove to be extremely frustrating to play against with its SubSeed set, especially in conjunction with the hazard strategy in play with this team, while also providing the team with a way to directly pressure stall teams. Mega Aerodactyl rounds out the team by offering a strong physically offensive presence, which this team was sorely lacking before its addition. It also helps to check Gliscor through Ice Fang and can also plow through most of its checks with the support of hazard stacking. This is a pretty fun team to use in general, and it has answers for the majority of the meta's premier threats while also showcasing a side of Moltres that many might not have explored before.

I feel I am legally required to participate this time as my name is quite literally inspired by this mon.

Moltracer (Moltres) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Azu Get That Bill (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Lake (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Glare

Davy Jones (Aggron-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche

LIIINOOOOONEEE (Latias) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish

Fat Fuck (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Moltrace is quite a threat in the current metagame with fire and flying coverage being incredibly good vs the current threats, this being on top of incredibly powerful stabs (all-be-it innacurate). I decided I wanted to capitilize on this ability to dent or ohko a large portion of the tier by going with a Z solar beam set. The set is designed to kill Pokemon that would normally switch in (most definetely not counter as rotom takes just way too much) in one hit, this is mostly in regards to rotom-w, but also allows moltrace to disregard mega blastoise, suicune, primarina, have an attack to hit empoleon and volcanion for serious damage, hippowdon, and finally swampert.

Knowing it was a moltrace (yes im going to keep spelling it like this) team I knew I was going to need a mon that could effectively deal with the large majority of rockers in the tier. I found this answer in azu. Azu functions as a solid breaker for the team as well as an anti rocker being able to deal with only megga aggron as the one rocker it cannot 1v1, which moltrace switches into either way. Celebi is an interesting case as it is completely dependant on the set. If its an offensive celebi, azumarill cannot tank the hit and kill it. If it is a bulky celebi however, azumarill can ohko with knock off and take one giga drain.

Next, I knew I needed some offensive hazard removal, and since I had already started off with fire/water I decided to finish off the fire/water/grass core with serperior. Serperior, although a gimmicky defogger, is a fast and solid offensive sweeper, and since it really only needs its two primary moves leaf storm and hp fire to function as such, it opened up the opportunity to use it as a defogger as it forces switches incredibly easily. As I was building superior I also noticed how weak my team was to speed boosting sweepers such as mega altaria who set up on serp and can ohko azu. This is why I decided to put my second support move on serperior being glare. Glare allows me to paralyze threats that would normally take advantage of serperior, aswell as being able to put some scarfers in check such as hydreigon and latias who love to switch into serperior.

Next we have Davy Jones Locker (Throwback to someone on the ladder who named their maggron this every-time, pm me if you know who that was, I think they're still active.) Now M-aggron I was first iffy about because of the fast and offensive approach I had been taking the team. However I knew that my team was weak to mons such as azu, and I knew that I needed a steel type as mons such as mega beedrill currently run a train through my team if rocks are up. I decided on Maggron due to its bulky ability + as we'll get to later ability to be an effective participant to latias's healing wish. The set is a bit wierd and can be interchanged as needed however I decided to go with a 3 attacks toxic build. Toxic is there inorder to have some presence vs bulkier mons as my team doesnt have an amazing stallbreaker, avalanche im iffy about as gliscor isnt exactly a threat to my team but since I already have a solid rocker in hippo, I didnt see a need to put rocks as I was most likely going to be defogging the majority of the time. fire punch is there for obvious reasons. Im not fond of this set but I honestly see no reason to use something in an alternative, however I could maybe see a case in roar? Change this set as you may.

Next I needed speed control, latias becoming increasingly good this gen was my first candidate as it provided another ground immunity to support maggron aswell as another defogger, and arguably more importantly a healing wish user. Healing wish allows maggron to come back after the opponent spends turns chipping down aggron, aswell as to bring back motlres if the situation comes to the need of a last minute moltres sweep, but rocks are up and moltres is below 50%. (This situation comes up more than you think.) Defog is there for obvious reasons and then just dual stab. Good scarfer, good speed control. Solid. Also, LIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEEEEEE

Finally we come to the never-dying fat fuck himself hippowdon. Now I wanted hippowdon for multiple reasons. The first was to act as a hard counter to mega manectric as that mon after providing chip on latias swept through my team. Hippowdon also functions as a 100% answer to mega aerodactyl, a solid rocker, a phazer, a mon that can tank a hit from cobalion (I dont rely on moltrace for this because ive run into 5 different people using Z stone edge, which hurts me on a physical level but you do you.)

With that my team review is finished, and I await to see other peoples attempts at building around moltres. Its definetely an interesting and fun mon to use, and is incredibly effective with the correct support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)