Ubers Deoxys-S

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake

[OVERVIEW]
* Deoxys-S is a brilliant dedicated lead due to the fact that it has the highest base Speed in the game and access to utility moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt, Skill Swap, Magic Coat, and dual screens.
* Although its bulk is nothing to boast about, it still has sufficient enough defenses to be able to set multiple entry hazards without being forced to run a Focus Sash. However, in many cases, it still appreciates having it.
* Deoxys-S ends up being quite one-dimensional, as it is required to run certain moves in order to effectively set entry hazards against common anti-leads. For example, if Deoxys-S doesn't run Skill Swap, it is completely shut down by Magic Bounce users such as Mega Sableye, and if it doesn't run Magic Coat, then it loses to opposing Magic Coat users and is forced to risk a Speed tie against opposing Deoxys-S that aren't running Magic Coat.
* Although it is considered one of the best dedicated leads in the game, its worst matchups tend to be versus other dedicated leads in the tier—especially ones that are able to remove hazards such as Excadrill, Cloyster, and Smeargle.

[SET]
Name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Skill Swap / Magic Coat
move 4: Spikes / Magic Coat
item: Focus Sash / Rocky Helmet
ability: Pressure
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* Stealth Rock is mandatory on just about every competitive team, punishing everything in the tier that switches in.
* Taunt is really good for preventing opposing Pokemon from boosting, spreading status, or trying to set up or remove hazards.
* Magic Coat is really useful versus opposing Deoxys-S, Smeargle, and Shuckle as well as the rare Pokemon with the ability Prankster.
* Skill Swap is nice for punishing Magic Bounce users such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie.
* Spikes is a really effective means of punishing grounded Pokemon, as it deals up to 25% of the maximum HP in damage to any Pokemon that switches in.

Set Details
========
* Maximum HP and Speed EVs and a Timid nature mean that Deoxys-S is able to set entry hazards quickly and survive as many hits as possible while doing so.
* The Focus Sash allows Deoxys-S to set up at least two layers of hazards or alternatively allows Deoxys-S to more freely use Taunt and not be punished by hard-hitting setup sweepers such as Primal Groudon and Xerneas that choose to attack on the turn that Deoxys-S opts to use Taunt, as it can rely on its Focus Sash to survive any attack and then still freely set up a layer of hazards before it's KOed.
* Alternatively, a spread with 248 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe and a Rocky Helmet can be used to outspeed Deoxys-A while maximizing bulk, or if you wish to creep Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, a spread with 192 Speed EVs can be used. The Rocky Helmet allows Deoxys-S to break opposing Focus Sashes as well as punish spinners and priority users, which it is otherwise unable to do, since it doesn't run any attacking moves. This does, however, make prediction against setup sweepers more of an issue, as using Taunt when the foe chooses to attack can result in Deoxys-S being OHKOed by hard-hitting attackers such as Primal Groudon and Rayquaza and unable to set up hazards altogether.

Usage Tips
========
* Deoxys-S should be used early-game so that the opposing team is pressured by hazards as soon as possible.
* Do not prioritize setting hazards if your opponent leads with a setup sweeper such as Xerneas, Groudon, or Mega Lucario as the teams that Deoxys-S tends to fit well on tend not to appreciate dealing with Pokemon who have boosted their stats.
* Deoxys-S isn't able to prevent hazards from being removed from the field once it has been KOed; therefore, it needs to be placed on teams that force the foe to attack or switch or be punished heavily for clicking Defog.
* Deoxys-S struggles immensely against Rapid Spin users such as Cloyster and Excadrill. In those cases, it is better to lead with something that can pressure those Pokemon instead of having Deoxys-S fight a losing battle.
* If Deoxys-S is not running Skill Swap, do not bring it in against Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie, as they both completely shut it down, so you're better off using other offensive Pokemon to pressure them such as Xerneas and offensive Primal Groudon variants. That being said, bringing in Deoxys-S invites in Magic Bounce users, so double switching once Deoxys-S has been brought in can be quite useful to gain momentum.
* If Deoxys-S is not running Magic Coat, avoid facing opposing Deoxys-S that may have it, as Magic Coat completely shuts Deoxys-S down and basically guarantees that your opponent can get hazards up.

Team Options
========
* Deoxys-S fits best on hyper offense builds consisting of a dedicated lead and five offensive threats to break through opposing teams, as offensive threats tend to encourage users to either attack or recover off any damage that's been taken, preventing them from having the opportunity to use Defog.
* Xerneas is a brilliant partner for Deoxys-S, as it is able to punish any Pokemon in the tier that tries to click Defog by setting up with Geomancy and then sweeping through teams. It also really appreciates having the entry hazards on the field, as it makes its common checks a lot easier to dispose of.
* Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon act as good partners, as they're able to act as checks to Xerneas, as well as maintain offensive pressure. Both of these Pokemon also have access to boosting moves and therefore can punish Pokemon that use Defog, as it can potentially allow them a free turn of setup. They also appreciate the fact that Deoxys-S runs Stealth Rock, freeing them up to run setup moves and sweep through teams.
* Mega Salamence and Rayquaza make useful partners, as they provide teams with a Ground immunity and make great late-game sweepers due to their ability to sweep after boosting with Dragon Dance.
* Priority users such as Marshadow, Arceus, and Mega Lucario are useful for sweeping through teams and are hard to revenge kill due to their use of priority moves. Mega Lucario can revenge kill Xerneas, and Marshadow is one of the only offensive checks to Arceus in the tier.
* Fast Taunt users such as Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Gengar, and Yveltal to a lesser extent are incredibly useful partners for Deoxys-S, as they can outspeed support Arceus formes and use Taunt on them before they can clear entry hazards with Defog. Mega Gengar is especially useful, as it can trap support Arceus-Water and potentially eliminate it, preventing it from removing hazards. While Yveltal might lack the Speed that Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo Y boast, it is the only viable Taunt user that's able to deal with Giratina-O, as none of the other relevant Taunt users appreciate taking Shadow Sneaks.
* Spinblockers such as Giratina-O, Lunala, and Marshadow are useful to help deal with Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill, Cloyster, and Smeargle. Marshadow can make a particularly useful option, as all of these spinners are weak to Fighting-type attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Dual screens with Light Clay can be run; however, Deoxys-S can't really afford to run them without sacrificing something important in its moveslots.
* Psycho Boost is a useful option to catch Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario off guard and deal damage to anything that manages to use Taunt on it with the exception of Yveltal. However, this style of suicide lead is more successfully done by Deoxys-A.
* Superpower can also be used to hit lead Excadrill, but it tends not to be worth forgoing a move, and it will still have an unfavorable matchup in the entry hazard war.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Opposing Suicide Leads**: Focus Sash lead Excadrill, Smeargle, and Cloyster are particularly troublesome, as they're able to set entry hazards, remove hazards, and almost always beat Deoxys-S in a one-on-one situation. Opposing Deoxys-S are also quite troublesome to face, as they can either shut your Deoxys-S down with Magic Coat, or potentially win a Speed tie and Taunt Deoxys-S, rendering it useless.

**Priority**: Priority users tend to limit Deoxys-S to a single turn on the battlefield, thus rendering it unable to set more than one hazard. Furthermore, common priority users in the tier are able to potentially completely prevent Deoxys-S from setting any hazards at all, as they can force it to use Taunt in order to prevent them from setting up. Common examples of these are Rayquaza, Marshadow, and Extreme Killer Arceus. Giratina-O is also a noteworthy priority user, as it can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak, and then use Defog to clear any hazards away once Deoxys-S has been KOed.

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie force Deoxys-S to run Skill Swap in order to have it effectively act as a dedicated lead. If Deoxys-S is not running Skill Swap, it is completely shut down by these Pokemon.

**Magic Coat and Taunt**: Magic Coat can render Deoxys-S completely useless, especially if it isn't running Magic Coat itself, since Deoxys-S doesn't run any attacking moves, and unlike against Magic Bounce users where Deoxys-S is likely to to either avoid the matchup entirely or just use Skill Swap, Magic Coat will either lead to mind games if facing an opposing Deoxys-S, or it'll come completely as a surprise from Pokemon that don't typically run Magic Coat, such as Arceus or Giratina-O. Similarly, if a Pokemon uses Taunt versus Deoxys-S, it is then rendered useless. Fortunately, Prankster users are very rare, so Deoxys-S tends to be able to reliably set at least one entry hazard, but it still doesn't appreciate being afflicted with Taunt.

**Defog**: Although Deoxys-S is able to use Taunt on Defog users in order to prevent them from removing hazards, Defog users such as Giratina-O, Yveltal, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, and Arceus-Water tend to beat Deoxys-S in a one-on-one scenario due to the fact that Deoxys-S runs no attacks. Therefore, it has to rely on offensive pressure from other teammates in order to prevent hazards from being removed from the field once it has been KOed. Giratina-O is an especially annoying foe, as it can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak as well as remove hazards with Defog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Lead
item: Focus Sash

This should be main set. That argument for Magic Coat doesn't convince me enough to the point where it is worth a first slash.

The order of the moves in Moves section should be changed accordingly.

Set Details does not talk about Deoxys-Speed 's Speed tier when running Timid. This is info is important here for the sake of new comers to Ubers. There should also be a point talking about Rocky Helmet and the bulkier set EV spread of 248 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe for reasons I explained in discord, it is still worth a mention in set details. Lastly, add the option of running 192 Spe EVs on the Rocky Helmet bullet point incase you wanna outspeed Timid Yveltal and Xerneas (Further chexks might remove this last part but have it here for now)

Usage Tips

Lacking content. There needs to be a bullet point on how Deoxys-S is to deal with poor lead matchups like Rapid Spin leads. Bullets are also needed for how to deal with Magic Bounce Pokemon like Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye, how to deal with Defog users. There should also be small point on how to use Rocky Helmet lead as well.

Team Options

Just because Deoxys-S is a lead doesn't mean it cannot have suggested teammates :/
Add the usual threats you see on offensive teams and talm about how they pair up together and how they all appreciate Deoxys-S as a lead. Some leads are good versus DeoS, add bullet points for potential teammates to fix this match up.

Remove Rocky Helmet from OO since it will be a Set Detail now.

Implement these and hit me up on discord so that I can stamp. :)

Again, please check the formatting, there are several issues like these. Look at how some of the other uploaded skeletons look like, you will notice a significant difference.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The following things were implemented for QC 1/3:

- Added a point mentioning the one dimensional nature of Deoxys-S.
- More information regarding the purpose of Magic Coat were added.
- Points added in Usage Tips that assists with using Deoxys-S as a lead and when to not lead with Deoxys-S (unfavorable matchups).
- Team Options was given a massive makeup and expresses a better picture of the composition of the usual Deoxys-S team. More QC input here is preferred.
-Minor changes here and there.

[SET]
name: Lead
item: Focus Sash

You haven't fixed this yet though. Just copy / paste this. I highly recommend you re-read the skeleton to make sure the terms you are using are appropriate. This is going to give GP a hard time if you don't.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While it might not be as extreme as it is with other mons, Deoxys Speed still suffers 4MSS Due to the amount of utility moves that it's able to abuse
I don't care much for this point in the intro because it's mostly empty rhetoric. The biggest implication here is that Deoxys-S is forced to chose between being able to set hazards vs. X in exchange for performance against Y. That's the issue that needs to be articulated.

The item on the set is missing. Slash it as Focus Sash / Rocky Helmet. Explain in set details what each of these items accomplish.

There needs to be talk in usage tips and in team options about how teams ensure that Deoxys-S keeps hazards up, especial since Darkrai fell out of favor.

C&C should be revised. Be exhaustive. Start with true anti-leads, followed by Pokemon that can limit Deoxys-S to a single layer. After this do Magic Bouncers, followed by Defoggers (which try to reactively dispose of hazards once Deoxys-S has fallen). I consider the setup sweepers point moot because you have Taunt, will always be faster, and will have alternative proactive checks. Anything that forces Deoxys-S to Taunt it and is then 2HKOed is functionally the same as a Pokemon capable of limiting it to a single layer.

Implement these and I'll stamp.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My check was not implemented properly.

Although Deoxys-Speed has a large arsenal of useful utility moves in its movepool. Using many of these either come at the price of being able to reliably set entry hazards, or make it perform a role where it is outclassed by other Pokemon. This ends up making it quite one-dimensional and just by seeing it in team preview, it is easy to predict exactly what it's going to do.
This point makes little to no sense. Grammar issues aside, the biggest problems are with the second sentence. Deoxys-S' entire purpose is to get hazards, so why would it ever option for some set of utility moves that did not set hazards consistently or caused it to be outclassed? You don't seem to understand or are able to communicate my previous point in regards to "exchanging performance" i.e. being better vs. anti lead X vs. being better vs. anti lead Y in regards to the set. This is absolutely key to Deoxys-S.

The description for Rocky Helmet is wrong. The two biggest positives that Rocky Helmet has are one - it punishes Rapid Spin, and two - it punishes priority users (as they are almost always physical). I'd argue there's depth to the item even beyond this.

Why are setup sweepers still in C&C, let alone so high? I even suggested what order C&C should be. Think about it like this: Magic Bouncers are so powerful that Deoxys-S sometimes options to run a move entirely dedicated to countering them. Therefore, how can Pokemon that don't even limit Deoxys-S to a single layer ever reasonably be placed higher than Magic Bouncers in the C&C list? There is also a failure to list out the relevant Defoggers that will potentially rob the HO of their hazards.

Implement my check properly or I'm rejecting this. Deoxys-S is a very straightforward analysis and I've already put more work into these checks than it would have taken me to write the whole thing from scratch.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Right, had a look at your feedback and tried to implement as much of the feedback provided to me as possible, so in no particular order, the following changes have been implemented.
1. Revised the overview and included details about how Deoxys-S is required certain moves in order to set hazards vs anti lead x or y
2. Updated the description for Rocky Helmet. I still have my own personal biases, as a Rocky Helmet would only really punish spinners if the spinners were KO'd as a result of clicking rapid spin - thus having them fail to remove the hazards. Since it would be impractical for it to actually run any attacks or to run recover so that it could wear down opponents to the point where a Rocky Helmet would be useful. Like sure, it can wear down the Pokemon in front of you - to an extent, but at the end of the day, actually setting hazards is way more effective for wearing Pokemon down and running a rocky helmet doesn't even mean that you beat Rapid Spinners 1v1, and in fact it places Deoxys-S in a situation where it's only able to set one layer of Hazards. So really I'm quite curious to see what the depth behind a Rocky Helmet is. I've used it just for the sake of having a more educated opinion and I'm still not really sure why it's worth preaching to the extent that it seems to be. I will admit though that it does chip away against Priority users, which makes Pokemon such as E-Killer a lot easier to deal with - which is something that offense is known to struggle against.

3. Revised the C&C list. Changed the "Setup sweepers" category to a "Priority" category, as priority users do tend to more consistently limit Deoxys-S to only being able to set one layer of hazards. I can't say that I entirely agree with the point that you say that Setup sweepers don't limit Deoxys-S to only being able to set one layer of hazards, as at the very least, they force prediction games that aren't in Deoxys-Speed's favour, where Deoxys-S (and the remainder of the team) is either punished heavily for not clicking taunt and allowing a Pokemon free setup, or Deoxys-S is limited to only one set of hazards as the Setup sweeper opts to just attack twice. The only times where Deoxys-S effectively wins match-ups vs set-up sweepers is if it a) opts to taunt when the setup sweeper actually tries to setup or b) predicts that the setup sweeper is just going to attack and then just decides to get two layers of hazards up. While it might have been placed too high. I feel like having a category in checks and counters referred to as "Pokemon that limit Deoxys-S to only setting one layer of hazards" could end up being rather messy and while in hindsight, I can see that Magic Bounce users are more threatening to set-up sweepers, which is all the more reason why I feel like it's necessary to include setup sweepers, but probably place them below Magic Bounce users.

Also added in a Magic Coat user section to C&C. Magic Coat isn't exactly common on Arceus or Giratina-O at the moment, but Magic Coat does completely shut down Deoxys-S, especially if it's not prepared for it, so for that reason alone I thought it was worth mentioning. If QC are opposed to it being there however, I will remove it from the analysis.

4. Included more detail about what the relevant defoggers are in the ubers tier in C&C and in Team Partners categories.

5. Included detail about how Deoxys-S deals with anti-lead x or y in usage tips.

Anyway, this should be ready to be stamped and I look forward to receiving your feedback Minority

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Remove Defog Arceus-Fairy from C&C as that set is neigh unviable. QC please look closely at the C&C list in your next check.

QC: 2/3

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Discussed with Omfuga on discord and the following changes were implemented for QC 3/3.

• Removed "getting rid of Lugia's multiscale" in the Skill Swap section in the Moves category.
  • Mentioned in usage tips that if Deoxys-S is not running Skill Swap, then users should lead with something that immediately threatens Magic Bounce users.
  • Fixed a few grammar issues.
anyway, this is now QC 3/3 and ready for GP checks

add
remove
(comment)
AC = add comma
AH = add hyphen

RC = remove comma
RH = remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
* Deoxys-Speed is a brilliant dedicated lead, (RC) due to the fact that it has the highest base Speed in the game and access to utility moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt, Skill Swap, Magic Coat, and dual screens.
* Although its bulk is nothing to boast about, it still has sufficient enough defenses to be able to set multiple entry hazards, (RC) without being forced to run a Focus Sash. (Remove one space) However, in many cases, (AC) it still appreciates having it.
* Deoxys-Speed ends up being quite one-dimensional (RH), as it is basically required to run certain moves in order to effectively set hazards against common anti-leads. (Remove one space) For example, if Deoxys-Speed doesn't run Skill Swap, it is completely shut down by Magic Bounce user's (Remove apostrophe) such as Mega Sableye, and if it doesn't run Magic Coat, then it loses to opposing Magic Coat users and is forced to risk a Speed tie against opposing Deoxys-Speed's who aren't running Magic Coat.
* Although it is considered one of the best dedicated leads in the game, its worst matchups tend to be vs versus other dedicated leads in the tier - —(There is no space before or after the em dash. Dash is not an em dash) especially ones that are able to remove hazards such as Excadrill, Cloyster, (AC) and Smeargle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==============
* Stealth Rock is mandatory on just about every competitive team, punishing everything in the tier that switches in.
* Taunt is really good for preventing opposing Pokemon from boosting, spreading status, (AC) or trying to set up or remove hazards.
* Magic Coat is really useful vs versus opposing Deoxys-Speeds, Smeargle, (AC) and Shuckle as well as the rare Pokemon with the ability, (RC) Prankster.
* Skill Swap is useful for punishing Magic Bounce users such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie.
* Spikes is really useful for punishing grounded Pokemon, as it (Remove one space) deals up to 25% of maximum HP in damage to any Pokemon that switches in.
(Just a comment, but everything is "really useful" or "useful". I would suggest changing the wording just so it's not repetitive)

Set Details
==============
* Max HP and Max Speed (Remove one space) EVs combined with a Focus Sash means that Deoxys-Speed is able to set entry hazards quickly and live as many hits as possible while doing so. The Focus Sash allows Deoxys-Speed to set up at least 2 two layers of hazards, (RC) or alternatively allows Deoxys-Speed to more freely click Taunt and not be punished by hard-hitting set-up setup sweepers such as Primal Groudon or and Xerneas that choose to attack on the turn that Deoxys-Speed opts to click Taunt, (AC) as it can rely on its Focus Sash to survive any attack and then still freely set up a layer of hazards before it's KOed.
* (Add a space here) A Timid nature with 0 Attack IVs in attack is preferred so you take full advantage of Deoxys-Speed's Speed tier, (AC) - (RH) which outspeeds the entire unboosted tier as well as common Choice Scarf users such as Xerneas and Yveltal.
* Alternatively, a spread with 248 HP/232 Def/24 Spe 248 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe and a Rocky Helmet can be used to Speed Creep outspeed Deoxys-Attack, while maximising maximizing bulk, (AC) or if you wish to creep Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, a spread with 192 Speed EVs can be used. The Rocky Helmet allows Deoxys-Speed to break opposing Pokemon's Focus Sashes as well as punish Rapid spinners and priority users, which it is otherwise unable to do, since it doesn't run any attacking moves. This does, (AC) however, (AC) make 50/50s prediction against setup sweepers more of an issue, (AC) as Taunting when your opponent chooses to attack can result in you Deoxys-S being OHKOed by hard-hitting (AH) attackers such as Primal Groudon or and Rayquaza and thus failing unable to set up Entry hazards altogether.

Usage Tips
==============
* Deoxys-Speed should be used early on in the game so that your opponent is pressured by entry hazards as soon as possible.
* Do not prioritise prioritize setting hazards if your opponent leads with a set-up setup sweeper such as Xerneas, Groudon or Lucario (Mega?), as the teams that Deoxys-S tends to fit well on tend not to appreciate dealing with Pokemon who have boosted their stats.
* Deoxys-Speed isn't able to prevent hazards from being removed from the field once it has been KOed;, (Replace comma with semicolon) therefore, (AC) it needs to be placed on teams that force your opponent to attack or switch, (RC) or be punished heavily for clicking Defog.
* Deoxys-Speed struggles immensely against Rapid Spin users such as Cloyster and Excadrill. (add period) In those cases, it is better to lead with something that can pressure those Pokemon instead,rather than try and have of having Deoxys-Speed fight a losing battle.
* If Deoxys-Speed is not running Skill Swap, do not bring it in against Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie, as they both completely shut it down Deoxys-S, so you're better off using other offensive Pokemon to pressure them, (RC) such as Xerneas or and offensive Primal Groudon variants. (Remove one space) That being said, bringing in Deoxys-Speed invites in Magic Bounce users, so double switching once Deoxys-S has been brought in can be quite useful to gain momentum.
* If Deoxys-Speed is not running Magic-Coat (RH), avoid facing opposing Deoxys-Speed that may have it, as Deoxys-Speed is Magic Coat completely shuts Deoxys-S down by Magic Coat and it basically guarantees that your opponent can get hazards up.

Team Options
==============
* Deoxys Speed Deoxys-S fits best on Hyper-Offense hyper offense builds containing consisting of a dedicated lead and 5 five offensive threats to break through opposing teams, (AC) as the offensive threats tend to encourage users to either attack what's in front of them or recover off any damage that's been taken, preventing them from having the opportunity to click Defog.
* Xerneas is a brilliant partner for Deoxys-Speed, as it is able to punish any Pokemon in the tier that tries to click Defog in front of it by setting up with Geomancy and then sweeping through teams. (Remove one space) It also really appreciates having the entry hazards on the field, as it makes its common checks a lot easier to dispose of.
* DM-Necrozma Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon act as good partners, (AC) as they're able to act as checks to Xerneas, as well maintain offensive pressure. (Remove one space) Both of these Pokemon also have access to boosting moves, and therefore can punish Pokemon who click Defog, as it can potentially allow them a free turn of setup. They also appreciate the fact that Deoxys-Speed runs Stealth Rock, freeing them up to run setup moves and sweep through teams.
* Mega Salamence and Rayquaza make useful partners, (AC) as they provides teams with a Ground immunity and make a great win-conditions (RH) due to their ability to sweep after boosting with Dragon Dance.
* Priority users such as Marshadow, Arceus-Normal, and Mega Lucario are useful for sweeping through teams and are hard to revenge kill due to their use of priority moves. Mega Lucario is also nice since because it can revenge kill Xerneas, (AC) and Marshadow is basically one of the only offensive checks to Arceus Normal in the tier.
* Fast Taunt users such as Mega Mewtwo Y, (Remove one space) Mega Gengar, and Yveltal to a lesser extent - (RH) Yveltal are incredibly useful partners for Deoxys-Speed, as they can out-speed outspeed support Arceus formes and Taunt them before they click can Defog. (Remove one space) Mega Gengar is especially useful, as it can trap support Arceus-Water (AH) and potentially eliminate it, preventing them it from removing hazards. While Yveltal might lack the Speed stats that Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo Y boast, it is the only viable Taunt user that's able to deal with Giratina-O, as none of the other relevant Taunt users appreciate taking Shadow Sneaks.
* Spin Blockers Spinblockers such as Giratina-O, Lunala, (AC) and Marshadow are useful to help deal with Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill, Cloyster, (AC) and Smeargle. (Remove one space) Marshadow can make a particularly useful option, (AC) as all of these spinners are weak to Fighting-type attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============
* Dual screens with Light Clay can be run; ran, (AC) however, (AC) Deoxys-S it can't really afford to run them without sacrificing something important in its moveslots.
* (Add space here) Psycho Boost is a useful option to catch Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario off guard and deal damage to anything that manages to Taunt it with the exception of Yveltal. (Replace hyphen with period) - (RH) However, this style of suicide lead is more successfully done by Deoxys-Attack.
* Superpower can also be used to hit lead Excadrill, but it tends not to be worth forgoing a move, (AC) and it will still have an unfavourable matchup in the entry hazard war.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Opposing Suicide Leads**: Focus Sash lead Excadrill, Smeargle, (AC) and Cloyster are particularly troublesome, (AC) as they're able to set entry hazards, remove hazards, (AC) and basically always beat Deoxys-Speed in a one-on-one situation. (Remove one space) Opposing Deoxys-Speed are also quite troublesome to face, (AC) as they can either shut you down with Magic Coat, or potentially win a Speed tie and Taunt Deoxys-Speed, rendering it useless.

**Priority**: Priority users tend to limit Deoxys-Speed to a single turn on the battlefield, thus rendering it unable to set more than one hazard. (Remove one space) Furthermore, common priority users in the tier are able to potentially completely prevent Deoxys-Speed from setting any hazards at all, as they can force it to click Taunt in order to prevent them from setting up. (Remove one space) Common examples of these are Rayquaza, Marshadow, (AC) and Ekiller Extreme Killer Arceus. (Remove one space) Giratina-O is also a noteworthy priority user, as it can 2HKO Deoxys-Speed with Shadow Sneak, and then Defog any hazards away once it's been KOed.

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie essentially (Do they or do they not?) force Deoxys-Speed to run Skill Swap in order to have it effectively act as a dedicated lead. (Remove one space) If Deoxys-Speed is not running Skill Swap, it is completely shut down by these Pokemon.

**Magic Coat**: Magic Coat can render Deoxys-Speed completely useless, - (Replace with comma) especially if it isn't running Magic Coat itself, - (Replace with comma) since Deoxys-Speed doesn't run any attacking moves, (AC) and unlike against Magic Bounce users, where Deoxys-S is likely to to either avoid the matchup entirely or just click Skill Swap, Magic Coat will either force 50/50's if facing an opposing Deoxys-S or it'll come completely as a surprise from Pokemon who don't typically run Magic-Coat, such as from Arceus or Giratina-O. (Remove one space) Similarly, if a Pokemon clicks Taunt vs a versus Deoxys-Speed. (Remove one space) it is then rendered useless. (Remove one space) Fortunately, Prankster users are very rare a lot rarer in SM Ubers, so Deoxys-Speed tends to be able to reliably set at least one entry hazard, but it still doesn't appreciate being Taunted. (I don't understand what the last two sentences have to do with Magic Coat)

**Defog**: Although Deoxys-Speed is able to Taunt Defog users in order to prevent them from removing hazards, (AC). (Remove one space and the period) Defog users such as Giratina-O, Yveltal, Xerneas, and Arceus-Ground, (AH and AC) and Arceus-Water tend to beat Deoxys-Speed in a one-on-one scenario due to the fact that Deoxys-Speed runs no attacks., (Replace comma with period) Therefore, (AC) it has to rely on offensive pressure from other teammates in order to prevent hazards from being removed from the field once it has been KOed. Giratina-O is an especially annoying opponent, as it can 2HKO Deoxys-Speed with Shadow Sneak as well as remove hazards with Defog.

GP 1/2

I saw this was an issue in your previous Kyogre analysis, so I'll repeat the advice Fireflame479 gave you. Please proofread your work using the official standards before asking us to check it. There were a lot of problems that the standards specifically addresses. Examples: Deoxys-Speed not being allowed, Arceus-Normal not being allowed, using spacing between EVs. It specifically explains proper capitalization as well. One thing I did notice was the mistake in Focus Sash's capitalization in the set itself. CuteKittyWeeb gave you a copy/paste for the set that had it correct. The GP team is here to help, but you still have the responsibility of proofreading your analysis before us.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
adding on to what eien said, feel free to clarify anything on discord with us.
also, i removed quite a few double spaces, so be careful of that and use this method of implementation so they're not missed.

GP 2/2
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]
* Deoxys-S is a brilliant dedicated lead due to the fact that it has the highest base Speed in the game and access to utility moves such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, Taunt, Skill Swap, Magic Coat, and dual screens.
* Although its bulk is nothing to boast about, it still has sufficient enough defenses to be able to set multiple entry hazards, (RC) without being forced to run a Focus Sash. However, in many cases, it still appreciates having it.
* Deoxys-S ends up being quite one-dimensional, as it is basically required to run certain moves in order to effectively set entry hazards against common anti-leads. For example, if Deoxys-S doesn't run Skill Swap, it is completely shut down by Magic Bounce users such as Mega Sableye, and if it doesn't run Magic Coat, then it loses to opposing Magic Coat users and is forced to risk a Speed tie against opposing Deoxys-S who that aren't running Magic Coat.
* Although it is considered one of the best dedicated leads in the game, its worst matchups tend to be versus other dedicated leads in the tier—especially (remove spaces) ones that are able to remove hazards such as Excadrill, Cloyster, and Smeargle.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
* Taunt is really good for preventing opposing Pokemon from boosting, spreading status, or trying to set up or remove hazards.
* Magic Coat is really useful versus opposing Deoxys-S, Smeargle, and Shuckle as well as the rare Pokemon with the ability Prankster.
* Skill Swap is nice for punishing Magic Bounce users such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie.
* Spikes is a really effective means of punishing grounded Pokemon, as it deals up to 25% of the maximum HP in damage to any Pokemon that switches in.

Set Details
========
* Maximum HP and Speed EVs and a Timid nature, (RC) mean that Deoxys-S is able to set entry hazards quickly and live survive as many hits as possible while doing so.
* The Focus Sash allows Deoxys-S to set up at least two layers of hazards, (RC) or alternatively allows Deoxys-S to more freely click use Taunt and not be punished by hard-hitting setup sweepers such as Primal Groudon and Xerneas that choose to attack on the turn that Deoxys-S opts to click use Taunt, as it can rely on its Focus Sash to survive any attack and then still freely set up a layer of hazards before it's KOed.
* Alternatively, a spread with 248 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe and a Rocky Helmet can be used to outspeed Deoxys-A, (RC) while maximizing bulk, or if you wish to creep Choice Scarf Xerneas and Yveltal, a spread with 192 Speed EVs can be used. The Rocky Helmet allows Deoxys-S to break opposing Focus Sashes as well as punish spinners and priority users, which it is otherwise unable to do, since it doesn't run any attacking moves. This does, however, make prediction against setup sweepers more of an issue, as Taunting using Taunt when your opponent the foe chooses to attack can result in Deoxys-S being OHKOed by hard-hitting attackers such as Primal Groudon and Rayquaza and unable to set up hazards altogether.

Usage Tips
========
* Deoxys-S should be used early-game on in the game so that your opponent the opposing team is pressured by hazards as soon as possible.
* Do not prioritize setting hazards if your opponent leads with a setup sweeper such as Xerneas, Groudon, (AC) or Mega Lucario as the teams that Deoxys-S tends to fit well on tend not to appreciate dealing with Pokemon who have boosted their stats.
* Deoxys-S isn't able to prevent hazards from being removed from the field once it has been KOed; therefore, it needs to be placed on teams that force your opponent the foe to attack or switch or be punished heavily for clicking Defog.
* Deoxys-S struggles immensely against Rapid Spin users such as Cloyster and Excadrill. In those cases, it is better to lead with something that can pressure those Pokemon instead of having Deoxys-S fight a losing battle.
* If Deoxys-S is not running Skill Swap, do not bring it in against Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie, as they both completely shut it down, so you're better off using other offensive Pokemon to pressure them such as Xerneas and offensive Primal Groudon variants. That being said, bringing in Deoxys-S invites in Magic Bounce users, so double switching once Deoxys-S has been brought in can be quite useful to gain momentum.
* If Deoxys-S is not running Magic Coat, avoid facing opposing Deoxys-S that may have it, as Magic Coat completely shuts Deoxys-S down and basically guarantees that your opponent can get hazards up.

Team Options
========
* Deoxys-S fits best on hyper offense builds consisting of a dedicated lead and five offensive threats to break through opposing teams, as offensive threats tend to encourage users to either attack or recover off any damage that's been taken, preventing them from having the opportunity to click use Defog.
* Xerneas is a brilliant partner for Deoxys-S, as it is able to punish any Pokemon in the tier that tries to click Defog by setting up with Geomancy and then sweeping through teams. It also really appreciates having the entry hazards on the field, as it makes its common checks a lot easier to dispose of.
* Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon act as good partners, as they're able to act as checks to Xerneas, (RC) as well as maintain offensive pressure. Both of these Pokemon also have access to boosting moves, (RC) and therefore can punish Pokemon who click that use Defog, as it can potentially allow them a free turn of setup. They also appreciate the fact that Deoxys-S runs Stealth Rock, freeing them up to run setup moves and sweep through teams.
* Mega Salamence and Rayquaza make useful partners, as they provide teams with a Ground immunity and make great win conditions late-game sweepers (if this is true, but win condition doesn't work here) due to their ability to sweep after boosting with Dragon Dance.
* Priority users such as Marshadow, Arceus, (AC) and Mega Lucario are useful for sweeping through teams and are hard to revenge kill due to their use of priority moves. Mega Lucario is also nice because it can revenge kill Xerneas, and Marshadow is basically one of the only offensive checks to Arceus in the tier.
* Fast Taunt users such as Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Gengar, and Yveltal to a lesser extent are incredibly useful partners for Deoxys-S, as they can outspeed support Arceus formes and use Taunt on them before they can clear entry hazards with Defog. Mega Gengar is especially useful, as it can trap support Arceus-Water and potentially eliminate it, preventing it from removing hazards. While Yveltal might lack the Speed that Mega Gengar and Mega Mewtwo Y boast, it is the only viable Taunt user that's able to deal with Giratina-O, as none of the other relevant Taunt users appreciate taking Shadow Sneaks.
* Spinblockers such as Giratina-O, Lunala, and Marshadow are useful to help deal with Rapid Spin users such as Excadrill, Cloyster, and Smeargle. Marshadow can make a particularly useful option, as all of these spinners are weak to Fighting-type attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
* Dual screens with Light Clay can be run; however, Deoxys-S can't really afford to run them without sacrificing something important in its moveslots.
* Psycho Boost is a useful option to catch Mega Gengar and Mega Lucario off guard and deal damage to anything that manages to use Taunt on it with the exception of Yveltal. However, this style of suicide lead is more successfully done by Deoxys-A.
* Superpower can also be used to hit lead Excadrill, but it tends not to be worth forgoing a move, and it will still have an unfavorable matchup in the entry hazard war.

Checks and Counters
=============

**Opposing Suicide Leads**: Focus Sash lead Excadrill, Smeargle, and Cloyster are particularly troublesome, as they're able to set entry hazards, remove hazards, and basically almost always beat Deoxys-S in a one-on-one situation. Opposing Deoxys-S are also quite troublesome to face, as they can either shut your Deoxys-S down with Magic Coat, or potentially win a Speed tie and Taunt Deoxys-S, rendering it useless.

**Priority**: Priority users tend to limit Deoxys-S to a single turn on the battlefield, thus rendering it unable to set more than one hazard. Furthermore, common priority users in the tier are able to potentially completely prevent Deoxys-S from setting any hazards at all, as they can force it to click use Taunt in order to prevent them from setting up. Common examples of these are Rayquaza, Marshadow, and Extreme Killer Arceus. Giratina-O is also a noteworthy priority user, as it can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak, and then use Defog to clear any hazards away once it's Deoxys-S has been KOed.

**Magic Bounce**: Pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce such as Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie force Deoxys-S to run Skill Swap in order to have it effectively act as a dedicated lead. If Deoxys-S is not running Skill Swap, it is completely shut down by these Pokemon.

**Magic Coat and Taunt**: Magic Coat can render Deoxys-S completely useless, especially if it isn't running Magic Coat itself, since Deoxys-S doesn't run any attacking moves, and unlike against Magic Bounce users, (RC) where Deoxys-S is likely to to either avoid the matchup entirely or just click use Skill Swap, Magic Coat will either force 50/50's lead to mind games if facing an opposing Deoxys-S, (AC) or it'll come completely as a surprise from Pokemon who that don't typically run Magic-(RH) Coat, such as from Arceus or Giratina-O. Similarly, if a Pokemon clicks uses Taunt versus Deoxys-S, (AC) it is then rendered useless. Fortunately, Prankster users are very rare, so Deoxys-S tends to be able to reliably set at least one entry hazard, but it still doesn't appreciate being afflicted with Taunted.

**Defog**: Although Deoxys-S is able to use Taunt on Defog users in order to prevent them from removing hazards, Defog users such as Giratina-O, Yveltal, Xerneas, Arceus-Ground, and Arceus-Water tend to beat Deoxys-S in a one-on-one scenario due to the fact that Deoxys-S runs no attacks. Therefore, it has to rely on offensive pressure from other teammates in order to prevent hazards from being removed from the field once it has been KOed. Giratina-O is an especially annoying opponent foe, as it can 2HKO Deoxys-S with Shadow Sneak as well as remove hazards with Defog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)