Metagame Inheritance

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Yesterday I posted a question about why Imposter could be used by Chansey and it seems to be deleted now....

I have another Issue: Prankster shouldn't work in Psychic Terrain (it didn't work in Mix & Mega), but right now a Chansey (copying Sableye) could use Prankster in Psychic Terrain. I hope, this gets fixed soon, too...
it was deleted because 1) i mentioned a couple of posts ahead(like literally the page before) a bunch of abilities that were improperly legal and needed to be banned. and 2) TI (om leader) mentioned he fixed all the issues.

another thing to note with terrains is that they dont affect flying types. so if your mon is a flying type you can be hit by wisp, dispite psyterrain blocking it.

So I haven't seen any talk about Larvitar as a donor. Unlike it's evolutions it offers Guts as an ability, which when combined with Dragon Dance and its diverse physical movepool can turn many different pokemon into powerful sweepers. Some example sets:

Landorus-Therian @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Facade

Bisharp @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Crunch / Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Facade
- Dragon Dance

Haxorus / Garchomp @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Bewear @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brick Break / Superpower
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

These are just examples but most any physical attacker with ground/rock/dark/iron/dragon/normal STAB enjoys it. Stealth rock might be useful as well.

More misc sets:

Dusknoir @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic / Spore
- Leech Seed
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Duskinor here inherits from Breloom. Poison heal and leech seed combined with Duskinor's respectable defenses is remarkable at keeping it alive, and combined with Toxic is quick to wear down opposing mons. Spore is also an option if you need a sleep setter.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness / Horn Leech / Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic / Taunt / Substitute

This set (obviously) inherits from Tapu Bulu. I use this as a partner for the Duskinor set above to handle physical attacks. Same basic idea, set up Leech Seed and/or Toxic and stall.

Then that's it, pysterrain prevents anything from being targeted with priority it doesn't stop moves that self target (like recover) or moves that target the field (haze).
And what about Tailwind? In Mix & Mega I used a Swellow (with Banettite, gaining Prankster) to use Tailwind, but PsyTerrain prevented that.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
So I haven't seen any talk about Larvitar as a donor. Unlike it's evolutions it offers Guts as an ability, which when combined with Dragon Dance and its diverse physical movepool can turn many different pokemon into powerful sweepers. Some example sets:

Landorus-Therian @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Facade

Bisharp @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Crunch / Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Facade
- Dragon Dance

Haxorus / Garchomp @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Bewear @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brick Break / Superpower
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
These are just examples but most any physical attacker with ground/rock/dark/iron/dragon/normal STAB enjoys it. Stealth rock might be useful as well.
Aw man, it's a shame Larvitar doesn't get the elemental punches that Tyranitar does. Still really neat regardless!

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Hello! I have put together what I think are the ten most original leads and anti-leads in this metagame. Let me know your thoughts, and feel free to pick your favorite and use it! Please keep in mind that while these may not be 100% viable on paper, they are a great way to keep your opponent unsettled and off balance at the beginning of a match. Enjoy!

Ditto (Shuckle) @ Quick Powder
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Final Gambit
The coolest. This is the fastest lead in the game, and is a great way to lay down hazards, force a switch, and/or kamikaze your opponent for a clean 300 HP of direct damage. The ability allows you to survive a hit and get out both hazards, while Encore can discourage Stealth Rock users, allowing you to deal a ton of damage (even some OHKOs) on the switch. Quick Powder, a Timid nature, and the EV spread give Ditto an insane base speed of 428, in case you were wondering.
Weaknesses: Ghost types with Prankster/Taunt (rare) & Choice Scarf users (though you'll still get at least one hazard down).

Jolteon (Persian-Alola) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play/Thunderbolt/Thunder
This is a fun set that takes advantage of Jolteon's speed, great mono-Electric typing, and an ability that covers it's statistical weakness (physical defense), allowing it to serve as an awesome anti-lead/pivot. Fake Out to scout ability/items, Taunt to prevent setup/hazards, and Parting Shot with a 394 base speed helps you create an advantage on the switch. I think Foul Play is the best option in slot four to avoid dealing neutral damage to Ground types, but Persian-Alola has access to two strong STAB moves for Jolteon if you'd prefer. Rocky Helmet paired with Fur Coat gives Jolteon a nice way to punish physical attackers on the switch.
Weaknesses: Choice Scarf users and Ground types.

Aerodactyl (Silvally) @ Ground Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Magic Coat
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Multi-Attack
This one is really going to have your opponent confused. Virtually the same concept as the Jolteon, but with the ability to bounce or clear hazards as opposed to preventing them. While the Ground Memory will not change Aerodactyl's typing, it does give it a strong Ground-type move in Multi-Attack, which checks 3/5 of its weaknesses (Electric, Rock, and Steel), while dealing neutral damage to the other two (Water & Ice). And it still out-speeds virtually the entire tier, so anything you don't trust you can always give a friendly Parting Shot to and set yourself up with something more to your liking.
Weaknesses: Choice Scarf users and super effective priority moves (Water Shuriken, Accelerock, and Ice Shard).

Magearna (Gengar) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Venoshock
- Hex
- Dazzling Gleam
This Magearna is simply a one-off eliminator. It's typing provides it with very good coverage, and it is designed to take advantage of opponents who would see this pairing and assume they can set up. Trick poisons the opponent and steals an item, which also doubles the power of both Venoshock and Hex. Dazzling Gleam offers a good STAB option, and the inherited ability (Cursed Body) can be a nuisance to Choice Scarf users and limited attackers alike.
Weaknesses: Poison and Steel types (can't be poisoned), Clerics, and Choice item users (on the trick).

Volcarona (Xatu) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Trick
- Wish
- Protect
- Heat Wave
While this pairing may scream setup sweeper, it flips the script and instead cuts down one of your opponent's threats (possibly even two!). Magic Bounce prevents hazards from being dropped, while Trick + Flame Orb cuts the opposing pokemon's attack (usually on the switch). Wish/Protect can stall out burned physical attackers, while Heat Wave offers a nice STAB option.
Weaknesses: Choice item users, Rock types (even halved, the damage is usually too much to overcome).

Wobbuffet (Sableye) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Taunt
- Mean Look
- Recover
- Metal Burst
A brilliant trapper/revenge killer, in addition to an unusual lead for your opponent to deal with. Prankster allows for Wobbuffet to essentially have it's Shadow Tag ability as well in Mean Look, while Taunt can eliminate setup and hazard users. Priority recovery is also a huge asset, and the Aguav Berry enables you to not have to worry using it too early on. Finally, we have the answer to the pesky Counter/Mirror Coat dilemma: Metal Burst. The minimum speed EVs/IVs/nature ensure that Wobbuffet goes second most of the time with its base 85 speed, allowing it to dish out 1.5x damage on any (Taunted) attack it takes. The EV spread is designed to give Wobbuffet the same base Defense and Special Defense (193).
Weaknesses: Dark types (immune to Prankster).

Electrode (Weezing) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond
Like the Jolteon above, this set yet again takes advantage of mono-electric Electrode's superior speed and defensive typing. This time that typing comes in extra handy, as Weezing's Levitate means Electrode won't take any super effective damage. Taunt still helps anti-lead, while Toxic Spikes give you a nice hazard option of your own. Thunderbolt is a great STAB option, while Destiny Bond paired with the Focus Sash and a pacy 438 base speed gives you the ability to typically take out your opponent as they takes out your lead.
Weaknesses: Choice Scarf users.

Registeel (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stockpile
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
Stealth Rock, reliable recovery, and the ability to increase its already incredible bulk allow this lead to set up and then cycle your opponent's team through the hazard. EV spread and nature listed gives Registeel an even Defensive and Specially Defensive breakdown.
Weaknesses: Faster Taunt users.

Florges (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunderbolt/Flash Cannon
Regice (Druddigon) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Serious Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Roar
- Surf
This is a two-for-one special! Both sets utilize quality special bulk to goad opponents into physical attacks, many of which will result in their losing roughly 30% of their HP. Florges has the ability to set up more hazards, while Regice has the ability to speed-control with Glare, and then cycle through your opponent's lineup with Roar. Florges' lone attack is a bit of a throwaway, so pick your favorite (Energy Ball is also an option, though a lesser one); Regice's Surf covers 2/4 of its weaknesses (Fire and Rock), while dealing neutral damage to the other two (Fighting, and the ever-pesky Steel).
Weaknesses: Setup Sweepers (though this will still allow you to lay down your hazards).

Muk-Alola (Chimecho) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Magic Coat/Heal Bell
When people see Muk in this meta, they expect an attacking pokemon, usually with an Assault Vest. This set flips the script and provides you with a tremendous anti-lead (Magic Coat), that can also serve as a stall-'mon using the Toxic/Wish/Protect combo. Heal Bell is also an option if you want your Muk-Alola to serve as more of a bulky Cleric. And of course, Levitate eliminates this pokemon's only type weakness, giving it even more staying power.
Weaknesses: Faster Taunt users.
Hey, nice ideas.
Just a "few" things :

Actually - no, Ditto is not the fastest lead in the game.
Ninjask is, and also has more HP to use Final Gambit.
And anyway, Ghost types with for example Magic Bounce also checks it, i think it's worth noting.
That being said, Ninjask takes 50% from Stealth Rock... but anyway if you plan to switch Ditto on Stealth Rocks, its 48/48/48 bulk is so bad (even with the HP investment) that you will probably just get OHKOed since Stealth Rocks break Sturdy.

Sorry to say that, but this Aerodactyl is just plain outclassed... for example, try this :

Aerodactyl (inheriting from Pangoro) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Also has Parting Shot, but can actually deal with Magic Bounce mons.
Now has a much better coverage, including STAB.
Taunt also deals with hazards.

Anyway, i like the idea of Trick gimmicks, but it should be noted that Magearna's set is wayyyyy too reliant on Poison.
And mons holding a mega stone or a Z-Crystal can't have their item tricked, so Trick is kind of limited there.
Also Mismagius, while it doesnt give Venoshock, gives Levitate and Fire coverage in Mystical Fire, probably better than Gengar for Magearna if you stick with that idea. (but to be honest, i don't think Magearna is the best mon for this role)
If you really want to use Venoshock, then maybe you could try something like inheriting from Toxapex (with Merciless)... with another mon of course.

I don't have much to say about the other sets, that being said.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

Clefable (Aggron-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Toxic

I never see this mon being used, and I dunno why, because it basically craps all over nearly every physical attacker.
Listen, kids, don't run mixed/specially defensive. Run max def.

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 117-139 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Aggron: 267-316 (77.6 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

thicc boi

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Hello. Today I'd like to offer a couple of ideas that I've developed through playing around on the ladder.

1. Innards Out is dumb

The main idea of the strategy behind this ability is pretty simplistic: sack a mon, kill a threat. The ability alone makes potential attackers have to think twice before they move, since they risk either losing a chunk of health or even fainting if they knock out the mon with Innards Out.

Why I think Innards Out is dumb
  • It allows lazy stallers to thrive, since they can just sacrifice the useless Innards Out mon to take out a would-be threat that their defensive core can't handle.
  • It's not like the IO mon is stuck with the worst movepool in the world, either. You get recovery, Toxic, Taunt, as well as even more ways to disrupt the flow of battle with either Counter or Soak.
  • Because of the threat that it poses to any and every attacker, it forces both sides to play guessing games such as whether or not to attack vs whether or not to switch in the IO mon.

2. Blacephalon might be busted
There's still no regular gif of this thing yet. I'm sorry ;-;

Blacephalon is a recent addition to Pokemon with the latest games Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Its power is outright unparalleled when compared to other special threats, and the ability to (for the most part) have any ability with an enhanced moveset might just make this thing too much to bear.

Why Blacephalon might be busted
  • It has a powerful stat combination of a good speed tier and ridiculously high Special Attack. Combine this with an outstanding offensive typing and access to powerful sets like Drought Eruption, and you've got yourself a killer.
  • Drought Eruption alone makes Blacephalon into either an offense killer or a defense killer, depending on which Choice item you give it. Specs in particular effectively gives Blacephalon no potential switchins besides mons with an ability that hinders Blacephalon.
    • [*]252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 313-370 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
      [*]252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Suicune in Sun: 201-237 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
      [*]252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia in Sun: 370-436 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

• Unlike the infamous Specs Heatran that went around last time we had Inheritance as OMotM, Blacephalon actually outspeeds many offensive threats, making it a threat to both defensive AND offensive mons slower than base 107 Speed without even having to set up Shell Smash or anything.
  • The only threats that really put Blacephalon in its place are either Innards Out mons, Pelipper inheritors/Flash Fire mons that can withstand Blacephalon's coverage, or Scarfed/faster Pursuit trappers.
  • Torkoal isn't Blacephalon's only potential donor, either. It still has options like Nidoking/queen, Kecleon, Golem-Alola, and more, as well potential in the form of being a mixed/physical attacker, so really, there's no way of knowing what potential Blacephalon set your opponent has until it's been sent out, or you've seen your opponent's team before.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Since I am on council and have been playing on ladder frequently so far, I wanted to leave my thoughts on whats being discussed on the ban slate. Note these are my own personal thoughts and don't reflect rest of council's:
  • Innards Out
Probably the most infamous ability atm, Innards Out has really left it's mark as of late being even more prevalent then when Inheritance was OMoTM last time. The issue I have with it is it's general low risk / high reward factor that it possesses, making defensive teams almost impossible to properly be dealt with when certain measures can't properly be used (ex: setup sweepers that can break through common Unaware mons) and creates environments where the player facing the IO user must constantly second guess each move in fear of potentially losing their only wincon. I don't find this promotes much skill and I would much rather have it banned to ease tension on teambuilding especially since we have great inheritors such as Chansey and Guzzlord that can reliably force a 1v1 trade each game almost consistently. I had some replays demonstrating this exact scenario but can't find them now but anyone who was watched remotely high ladder games knows where I am coming from.

• Shell Smash
A lot of people are starting to pinpoint the issue of setup on the metagame solely on Shell Smash which is totally understandable. Abusers such as Heatran, Blacephalon, Mega Houndoom, Archeops, and Mew are starting to become increasingly difficult to properly deal with given the immense power the move brings them in one turn. However, I am not quite sure if banning the move is the right way to go about it given how many donors have access to it and it being quite hard to prove that each donor that can give Shell Smash makes the inheritor overpowered if that makes sense. I would much rather look at each case separately (especially with donors such as Torkoal and Barbaracle) then pull a blanket ban on the move itself.

• Blacephalon
I never would have expected Blacephalon to be as good as it is when USUM came out but I was proven wrong rather quickly. Having access to a multitude of viable donors ranging from Torkoal, Victini, Kecleon, Nidoking, Gourgeist, and even physical sets thanks to Marowak-A, checking Blac defensively is extremely hard. The best way is to check it offensively thanks to its high but not exceptional Speed, but if it gets a Shell Smash or Z-Trick-or-Treat under it's belt then your best bet is left with priority or extremely bulky threats like Chansey or FF Celesteela / Ferrothorn. I can see a possible suspect in the near future after Innards Out gets dealt with.

Also expect a huge resource update soon!

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

from audino. basically perfect coverage and regenerator to keep it healthy to pivot into more threats

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Here is a link to a preliminary viability ranking that several of us cooked up tonight.
Comments and criticisms welcome, just so long as it's not deleting the entire thing to write PIKACHU (yes that happened).

Many thanks to everyone who helped, especially Dunsparce Fanboy and bp scrub.

Some notes: a lot of the donors might be a little screwy. Two Pokemon don't have any because the person who added them left.
You can comment on the doc in the link I shared so that's a good place to leave notes.
PIKACHU FOR S RANK BECAUSE IT CAN INHERIT FROM MEW AND TRANSFORM
and lastly this viability ranking is in no way sponsored or authorized by the council it's just something we made.

Little thing I've cooked up and been playing with

Dunsparce (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
HP 248 / Def 240 / Speed 20
Nature: Bold
- Air Slash
- Glare / Thunder Wave
- Ancient Power
- Roost

This set has been the most fun and super annoying, paraFlinch for days, Ancient Power and get you boosted so you get even tankier and hit harder, it's everything a Dunsparce wants to be but even better, it's some cheese but fun cheese.

Hey guys, remember the TR team i made some days ago? Probably not, but, anyways, it SUCKS, so here's the "improved" version (now with descriptions of why the hell i did this):
Stakataka: This one was mandatory (at least for me) due to how hard it can hit with STAB Gyro Ball. I chose Necrozma as a donor because its access to both Swords Dance and Trick Room and Prism Armor lets Stakatakataka to tank hits better. Dhelmise can be chosen as a donor too due to Steelworker, but i'm sure that Stak would miss Stone Miss and Trick Room.
Ampharos-Mega: This one is the mega of team. Porygon (Z) is chosen due to its access to BoltBeam, Trick Room, Nasty Plot and Download as the pre-mega ability, which is helpful for boosting faster its high SpA. Mold Breaker is really cool for breaking past Emolga-Steela and Unaware abusers after a Nasty Plot boost. Mew can be used here in case you want more coverage options instead Trick Room or Nasty Plot, but it has an almost useless pre-mega ability.
Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn is just a bulky and slow suicide lead with access to both SR and TR thanks to its donor Carbink, that's all. It isn't even going to abuse its bulk that much since the only attacking move it has is explosion and it's ability is Sturdy, letting it to tank any hit at full hp. Other options you have with this are: using Gyro Ball or just using any other slow bulky mon.
Marowak-Alola: OOOHH BOI. With access to V-Create thanks to Victini, this thing destroys almost evrything it touches without having to rely on SD boosts. But that's not all, Victini also gives it Trick Room, Bolt Strike and U-turn, which are nice for setting its own TR, killing Water-type mons and pivot.
Cresselia: Like as many others cresselias, this one uses Swoobat as a donor but instead of using a Simple CM set, this one abuses Unaware so it can set up Trick Room in front of sweepers and then pivoting into another mon of the team or just using roost to annoy the foe.
Golisopod: Well, as you've surely noticed, this team is stupidly weak to ground mons and god damn Blacephalon, so that's why it's here.

Last edited:

Chimecho (Magearna) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Wrap
- Perish Song
- Dazzling Gleam

This is a cool set, Magearna with levitate and recover checks a bunch of threats and then perish trapping makes it an offensive threat without any investment.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Innards Out: No comment, not enough experience. Seems gay from what I've heard and seen, though.

Shell Smash: No comment, not enough experience. However, if it does get suspected, I personally think it's a stupid idea to go through each individual donor 1 by 1. Funbot mentioned that we shouldn't blanket ban the entire move because some donors may not be broken. By that logic, why suspect each individual donor? Why entirely ban certain donors just because of one problematic move? And you can't say we don't lose anything by going that direction, because Barbaracle and Torkoal could stand on their own as usable donors that could be fun on certain mons. I am in favor of suspecting Shell Smash as a whole.

Blacephalon: Eh. I mean, yeah, its strong as hell, but its bulk is bad, and it's not amazingly fast like Pheromosa is. It's also worth noting that Z-ToT / Z-Celebrate can be hard to set up. Not sure about this one. It's good, but not sure about suspect-worthy.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Hammer
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rest
I don't think this set is good enough for this meta, but I'm sharing it just because I think it is interesting. You can heal off a lot of HP with rest, and because lum berry cures status, you should have more opportunities to set up Dragon Dances against walls. However, Unaware is everywhere which makes me feel like this set wont do too well.

Tyranitar @ Razor Claw
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Focus Energy
- Sucker Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Night Slash
It's an attempt to be able to boost against unaware mons. Sucker Punch is used because Ttar is slow. Focus Energy raises your crit rate enough to get 100% critical hits. Stomping Tantrum is for coverage, also it helps a little against teams that will use status moves and cause sucker punch to fail. When sucker punch fails, you can use Stomping Tantrum with extra power.

Last edited:
Innards Out:
Been lucky enough to not run into it yet, know from experience how stupid it is. Get rid of it, doesn't even need to wait for a suspect.

Shell Smash:
Every single donor of Shell Smash breaks some inheritor. Even really bad shit like Magcargo (+2 EQ, Fire coverage, Explosion). Obviously Torkoal is just the fucking worst, but replacing Torkoal with Barbaracle with Carracosta with Minior with... So on and so forth. Point is, it's the move, not the specific donors. At worst the move itself should receive a suspect test, but I'd prefer it to be banned outright. "Who can set up Shell Smash first?" is not a good game to be playing. No, I will not run Unaware on Offense, it's a horrible momentum sink, and I also don't feel like running Pinsir, Glalie, or Altaria on every team, either.

Blacephalon:
Hasn't bugged me too much yet, but I see why people are concerned. I've used a little Kecleon (you honestly don't even need Fire coverage, just run BoltBeam) and it's powerful, but nothing yet screams super busted. Except that time it clicked Shell Smash, but oops, that's a problem with Shell Smash, not Blace.

How do people feel about Aurora Veil and Slurpuff? Not necesarily in tandem (though I'll totally use them with each other), but by themselves I can see them being not the most balanced elements in the metagame. Slurpuff's big weaknesses were its low Attack and Speed. Terrakion has neither of those problems, and I really don't doubt something else taking its place if we gave Terrakion the boot instead. Aurora Veil is no longer tied to its bad donors, so I hope offense gets used to dedicated Taunt leads until something else gets figured out.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Here it is everyone:

Inheritance Viability Rankings

(listed in alphabetical order)
Common donors are also listed besides the Inheritor, viability wise.

S-Rank:

Heatran (Torkoal, Hydreigon, Solrock, Azelf, Flygon)
Landorus-T (Zygarde, Gliscor, Mantine, Sceptile, Minior, Kecleon, Larvitar, Empoleon)

A-Rank:

A+

Alakazam-Mega (Tapu Lele)
Blacephalon (Nidoking, Torkoal, Victini, Gourgeist, Noctowl, Marowak-A)
Celesteela (Xatu, Toucannon, Clefable, Flareon, Swoobat, Staraptor, Dunsparce)
Chansey (Sableye, Komala, Xatu, Pyukumuku)
Garchomp (Gumshoos, Zygarde, Druddigon, Salamence)
Gengar (Nidoking, Gourgeist, Rampardos)
Houndoom-Mega (Torkoal, Zoroark)
Tapu Fini (Masquirein, Starmie,, Quagsire, Murkrow, Clefable)

A

Archeops (Celesteela, Aggron, Tyrantrum, Minior, Kecleon)
Bewear (Tyrogue, Lucario, Lurantis, Slurpuff)
Ferrothorn (Flareon, Miltank, Tapu Bulu, Heatran, Arcanine)
Lopunny-Mega (Lucario, Tsareena, Infernape, Mienshao)
Medicham-Mega (Lucario, Necrozma, Scrafty)
Pinsir-Mega (Lucario, Dragonite, Zygarde)
Snorlax (Gliscor, Breloom, Linoone)
Tapu Koko (Xurkitree, Mawile, Illumise, Gardevoir, Kecleon, Ninetales-A)
Terrakion (Slurpuff, Malamar, Spinda, Barbaracle, Tyrantrum, Machamp, Larvitar)

A-

Azelf (Greninja, Kecleon, Ninetales-A)
Mega Charizard-Y (Drampa, Victini)
Gardevoir-Mega (Chatot, Noivern, Tapu Lele)
Keldeo (Dragalge, Clawitzer, Nidoking, Feraligatr, Porygon-Z)
Latios (Tapu lele, Swoobat, Kecleon, Porygon-Z, Noctowl, Dragalge)
Magearna (Audino, Sylveon, Tsareena)
Muk-Alola (Toxapex, Mienshao, Persian-A, Cryogonal)
Tapu Lele (Sylveon, Noctowl, Comfey)
Thundurus-I (Golem-A, Nidoking, Kecleon, Drampa, Greninja)

B-Rank:

B+

Alakazam (Kecleon, Darmanitan, Tapu Lele)
Buzzwole (Arcanine, Staraptor, Lurantis)
Doublade (Persian-A, Flareon, Solrock, Xatu, Clefable)
Glalie-Mega (Lucario, Dragonite, Noivern)
Greninja (Manaphy, Crawdaunt)
Hoopa (Kecleon, Porygon-Z, Necrozma)
Pidgeot-Mega (Noivern, Dragonite, Gyarados, Jynx, Chatot, Regice)
Skarmory (Flareon, Staraptor, Toucannon, Clefable, Arcanine)
Ursaring (Togekiss, Pikachu, Linoone)
Weavile (Mawile, Mamoswine, Shuckle, Cloyster, Ambipom, Conkeldurr)
Xurkitree (Rampardos, Tapu Koko)
Zapdos (Drampa, Clefable, Persian-A)

B

Altaria-Mega (Dragonite, Zygarde, Togekiss, Noivern, Flygon)
Ampharos-Mega (Latias, Volbeat, Porygon-Z)
Bisharp (Lycanroc Dusk, Gumshoos)
Camerupt-Mega (Mew, Victini, Solrock)
Cresselia (Xatu, Clefable, Audino, Sigilyph, Swoobat)
Golisopod (Crawdaunt, Gliscor, Masquerain)
Goodra (Slowking, Mienshao)
Meloetta (Necrozma, Exploud, Whimsicott, Audino)
Sableye-Mega (Decidueye, Toxapex)
Salazzle (Torkoal, Nidoqueen)
Swampert (Miltank)
Toxapex (Quagsire, Masquerain)
Tyranitar (Nihilego, Lycanroc-Dusk/Midnight, Crawdaunt, Shuckle)
Venusaur-Mega (Shiinotic, Cradily, Palossand)

B-

Charizard Mega-X (Victini, Turtonator)
Dodrio (Crustle)
Excadrill (Dhelmise, Lycanroc-Dusk, Gumshoos, Toxicroak, Larvitar)
Garchomp-Mega (Tyranitar)
Kommo-o (Slowking, Clefable)
Florges (Clefable, Sableye)
Latias (Swoobat, Clefable, Xatu, Dragalge, Greninja)
Magnezone (Vikavolt, Magearna)
Mandibuzz (Murkrow, Toucannon, Persian-A)
Marowak-Alola (Victini)
Sceptile-Mega (Serperior, Heliolisk, Exeggutor-A)
Stakataka (Dhelmise, Bronzong, Stakataka)
Suicune (Toxapex, Quagsire, Masquerain, Tapu Fini)

C-Rank:

C+

Aerodactyl (Kricketune, Shuckle, Aggron)
Guzzlord (Pyukumuku, Mienshao, Bewear, Persian-A)
Heracross (Mienshao)
Hippowdon (Gliscor, Quagsire)
Krookodile (Gumshoos, Lycanroc-Dusk)
Kyurem (Ninetales-A, Aurorus, Abomasnow, Dragalge, Kecleon)
Mew (Clefable, Swoobat, Butterfree, Minior)
Nihilego (Solrock, Nidoking)
Pangoro (Crawdaunt, Lycanroc-Dusk, Bewear, Malamar)
Registeel (Xatu, Solrock, Arcanine, Flygon, Uxie)
Roserade (Torkoal, Venomoth)
Slowbro-Mega (Masquerain, Necrozma, Tapu Fini, Swoobat)
Thundurus-T (Gyarados, Drampa)
Vikavolt (Illumise, Porygon-Z, Magearna)

C

Beedrill-Mega (Golisopod)
Diancie-Mega (Lunatone, Manaphy, Mew, Mawile)
Dusclops (Persian-A, Clefable)
Escavalier (Stakataka, Typhlosion)
Hydreigon (Clawitzer)
Nidoqueen (Cradily)
Primarina (Audino, Pelipper)
Rampardos (Kecleon, Lycanroc-Dusk, Tyrantrum)
Stunfisk (Flygon)
Tapu Bulu (Komala, Altaria)
Tyranitar-Mega (Palossand)
Zygarde (Gliscor)

C-

Diancie (Lunatone, Cradily, Audino, Clefable)
Porygon-Z (Exploud, Whimsicott)
Raikou (Tapu Koko, Vikavolt, Latias, Audino)
Regirock (Mienshao, Quagsire, Hippowdon, Salamence)
Rotom-H (Golem-A)
Salamence (Ambipom)
Scizor-Mega (Klinklang)
Swampert-Mega (Empoleon, Gyarados, Politoed)
Throh (Breloom, Mienshao)
Tornadus (Pelipper, Noctowl)
Type: Null (Persian-A, Clefable)
Virizion (Lurantis, Barbaracle)

D-Rank:

Chandelure (Gourgeist)
Cosmoem (Necrozma, Clefable)
Eevee (Bibarel)
Floatzel (Bibarel)
Sawsbuck (Sudowoodo)
Torkoal (Breloom)

Special Thanks to Isa Simple for helping with initial draft

We will also be accepting sample teams! Just post your teams here with some proof of it's performance and we will add it in on the reserved posts near the OP. Suggestions for the VR are open as well, so consider this as a rough draft where updates will follow through after hopefully good discussion.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Heeey, that VR's pretty nice. Although, I must say, I think Drampa should be listed as a donor for Swampert. In exchange for all the stuff Miltank provides, you get Defog and the ability to Roar out set-up sweepers. And hey, a bulky Defogger with a resistance to Rocks and no weaknesses is pretty neat.

Also, why is Rampardos listed as a donor for Gengar? Lack of STAB seems pretty shitty, ngl.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Just making a quick little post to say that Innards Out and Shell Smash have been banned.

The reasoning for Innards Out has been stated multiple times throughout this thread so there isn't too much to add to this, but the fact that any team (not just stall) can have an emergency button for any sweeper is a ridiculous mechanic that this metagame would be definitely better without.

Shell Smash was a bit more of a borderline case as the council was a bit torn on this. Ultimately, I decided it was best that Shell Smash get the boot so that the donors don't get the boot one-by-one and take up our precious time as OMotM. This also hopefully gives the givers of this move (particularly Torkoal and Barbaracle) a little more freedom / less usage while giving other set up givers (those that provide Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, etc.) can shine.

As for Blacephalon, I haven't gotten any time to play yet (irl has me very busy rn) but I can see the pros and cons of it and so I will leave that discussion open for a bit more and see if the Shell Smash ban will affect it or no and if not, a suspect may be warranted in the future.

I am glad to see everyone enjoying the metagame and I really hope we can develop it further throughout this month. :)

EDIT: Forgot to tag The Immortal and/or Kris
hopefully they see this... :/

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Here it is everyone:

S-Rank:

Landorus-T (Zygarde, Gliscor, Mantine, Sceptile, Minior, Kecleon, Larvitar, Empoleon)

A-Rank:

A+

A

A-

B-Rank:

B+

B

Swampert (Miltank)

B-

Dodrio (Crustle)
Marowak-Alola (Victini)

C-Rank:

C+

Heracross (Mienshao)

C

Hydreigon (Clawitzer)
Nidoqueen (Cradily)
Stunfisk (Flygon)
Zygarde (Gliscor)

C-

Rotom-H (Golem-A)
Salamence (Ambipom)
Scizor-Mega (Klinklang)

D-Rank:

Chandelure (Gourgeist)
Eevee (Bibarel)
Floatzel (Bibarel)
Sawsbuck (Sudowoodo)
Torkoal (Breloom)

We will also be accepting sample teams! Just post your teams here with some proof of it's performance and we will add it in on the reserved posts near the OP. Suggestions for the VR are open as well, so consider this as a rough draft where updates will follow through after hopefully good discussion.
Decent rankings but I feel like it is pretty inaccurate. First of all Blacephalon is the best pokemon in the metagame and should be S, it can choose between scarf to destroy offense or specs to beat defensive teams. Even chansey gets 2koed by specs eruption in sun. Mega houndoom should move down as it is just outclassed by other fire types. Terrakion should move up to A+ as it is a really good wallbreaker when inheriting from basculin/malamar/guts mon. Tapufini should move down to A and Suicune should move up to A+ as tapufini is inferior to suicune and its niche is its fairy typing. Registeel should move up to A- as it is one of the best steels to use on stall and is good with regenerator from corsola or torn t. It outclasses celesteela when using regenerator but celesteela is still better at unaware. I dont really think garchomp is that good and it should move down to A- while snorlax should move to A+ as it does its job so well like in AAA. This is just what I think anyways.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Here it is everyone:

S-Rank:

A-Rank:

A+

A

A-

B-Rank:

B+

B

Swampert (Miltank)

B-

Dodrio (Crustle)
Marowak-Alola (Victini)

C-Rank:

C+

Heracross (Mienshao)

C

Hydreigon (Clawitzer)
Nidoqueen (Cradily)
Stunfisk (Flygon)
Zygarde (Gliscor)

C-

Rotom-H (Golem-A)
Salamence (Ambipom)
Scizor-Mega (Klinklang)

D-Rank:

Chandelure (Gourgeist)
Eevee (Bibarel)
Floatzel (Bibarel)
Sawsbuck (Sudowoodo)
Torkoal (Breloom)

I know I'm kinda biased having just made one of these but...

NB: after having written this i feel like i should note if i say something belongs in a or b i mean the larger rank, not the subrank. jsyk.
Also Shell Smash and Innards Out got banned halfway through me writing this lmao.

Lando-T: Is not nearly worthy of S. It's much worse than it is in OU and I honestly rarely see it. The lack of donors with both EQ and a good flying move besides Acrobatics really hurts its ability to perform at the level you'd expect an S rank pokemon too, and a ton of things either wall it easily thanks to newfound recovery (Steela notably) or outspeed and OHKO with their new toy Ice Beam (like Blac!Nido).

Heatran: How is this S rank but Blacephalon isn't?

Blacephalon: This is S no question. Easily the most dominant pokemon in the metagame, it has several extremely dominant sets, including 3 from the same donor (Torkoal: Specs, Scarf, and Smash) which make it not only extremely dangerous, but unpredictable from team preview.

Gengar: Seems too high. It's good, but it's currently overshadowed by Blacephalon and hurt by the presence on Muk-A on like every Balance team.

Tapu Fini: This, tbh probably shouldn't be above Suicune. Suicune has better bulk especially physically and otherwise they're basically the same other than Fini's somewhat better typing.... wait how the hell is Suicune in B-???

Mega Houndoom: I know this thing hits hella hard, but it's incredibly easy to revenge kill. The passive damage, the -1 defenses from Shell Smash, and the limited sun turns make it fairly easy to play against compared to something like Blacephalon, especially for offense and balance.

Terrakion: Has a huge number of potential sets and an amazing STAB combo that make it A+ at the minimum imo. It's just so easy to slot onto your team.

Otherwise A looks p decent.

Muk-Alola: This thing is a staple on balance and probably the single best pivot in the metagame. It checks not only Blac!Nido but all Lele inheritors and basically any special attackers that don't have a strong ability / STAB boosted SE move, including shell smash Blacephalon if it doesn't carry Life Orb (and you don't try to switch in when it's already at +2: you live one hit at +2 and force it out by threatening the OHKO with Knock Off)

Magearna: Has consistently been disappointing to me. It's weak to several of the most common types being thrown around the tier, doesn't get pivoting on its Regen sets, and overall just doesn't fit well in the meta. Somewhere in the B's seems better than in the A's.

Latios: I've only used the one set, but if Latios!Tapu Lele is the most viable i shudder to see the rest. Things like Kecleon are better done by other stuff that outspeed the base 110 speed tier, and honestly I just don't think Latios is very viable.

Thundurus-I: Is great. I don't see lower than A, but I could also see it staying A- ig.

Alakazam: Non-mega Zam is pretty mediocre.

Buzzwole: This is probably the best physical wall in the tier, a staple on stall and common on balance with niches on offensive playstyles due to its high attack stat. It pairs amazingly with Muk-A,is fairly customizable (I'm running a Volbeat set for the Ice Punch for instance so Grounds can't set up on it), and is overall too good to be a B mon.

Doublade: Is weak to a lot of common offensive types. Dark, Fire, Ground are all extremely common on physical mons, and while Doublade has the raw bulk to shrug off some of those hits and the attack stat to punish switches, it doesn't fit well in B+ imo.

Glalie: Sure

Greninja: Don't know enough to say tbh

Hoopa: Explain to me why I'm using this over other, better Pokemon, with better speed tiers.

Pidgeot-Mega: sure

Skarmory: Why would anyone use this over Celesteela? It's just... outclassed. It's very slightly bulkier physically and that's all. It's not a big difference in bulk for a huge difference specially and offensively. I'm not sure why this would even be worth ranking besides maybe at the bottom in a "don't use this" category.

Ursaring: pass due to lack of experience

Weavile: sure w/e i have no strong feeling about weavile

Xurkitree: Is pretty bad outside of Raichu-Alola sets, which you don't even have listed. It's just too damn slow, and electric immunities are p common.

Altaria-Mega: As Chopin said to me, this doesn't perform quite up to the standard expected, and after some thought, it was probably ranked too high on the one I helped make.

Ampharos-Mega: Capable of doing quite well, but is pretty matchup dependent and can struggle setting up. IMO it's B- or C somewhere material, but I'm not very confident about this one.

A couple whatevers...

Cresselia: wtf why is this so low. This is an easy A (somewhere in A's) imo. It's fantastic mixed bulk allows it to easily do bulky mon things, and do them well. And bulkily. Psychic and Fighting resists are nice as well

Golisopod is p amazing. A lot of good resists, including a coveted ground resist let it check a lot of physical mons, and it forms a great core with Muk-A. I'd say B+ because it's really annoying to face.

Venusaur-Mega is really nice. Solid bulk lets it be either a great bulky set-up sweeper or good defensive mon. It's main problem is that it takes the mega slot, which is highly fought over in this meta.

Tyranitar has been so disappointing :'(

Swampert: Just realized you're missing Mega Pert, which has a nice Politoed inherit set. Given that Shell Smash is now banned (like just now) I predict falling levels of torkoal inheritors and this set increasing in popularity... but it should be on the viaility rankings even with how it stands now. Maybe at the same rank as pert or a little higher. Wait nvm Megapert is in C-. That's far too low i m o.

aaaand that's all I'm gonna comment on for B

Stakataka is missing a Necrozma donating set, and should, imo be higher.

That meme Dodrio set isn't worthy of being on the viability rankings pls. C's at the highest.

As said above, Suicune is amazing and deserves to be in the A's, not at the bottom of B.

Excadrill is really solid and makes a great scarfer with something like Gumshoos, it could stand to go up a subrank or two.

Guzzlord should go to D if it remains at all with the Innards Out ban removing its main niche.

Thundurus-T should probably have the right icon.... wait is my computer going buggy again.... because suddenly alot of them have.... never mind.

Aerodactyl is one of the best suicide leads in the meta and could stand to rise to B or B-

That's all I really have the energy to comment rn. If you want to see where I thought things should go u can check the link I posted above ofc, for a more complete version. (altho I have since changed my mind on MAlt tbh)

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Here it is everyone:

S-Rank:

Landorus-T (Zygarde, Gliscor, Mantine, Sceptile, Minior, Kecleon, Larvitar, Empoleon) what? this is actually S rank? i rarely see it??? and when i do its barely a threat.

A-Rank:

A+

Blacephalon (Nidoking, Torkoal, Victini, Gourgeist, Noctowl, Marowak-A why is everyone sleeping on kecleon blac?)

A

Tapu Koko (Xurkitree, Mawile, Illumise, Gardevoir, Kecleon, Ninetales-A,Victini (banded bolt strike+v-create))

A-

Gardevoir-Mega (Chatot, Noivern, Tapu Lele, Flygon)
where is suicine? still just as good as it was last gen, even with tapu fini around, its still bulkier and pure water has a handfull of advantages over fairy/water

B-Rank:

B+

Buzzwole (Arcanine, Staraptor, Lurantis,mienshao, xatu)
Hoopa (Kecleon, Porygon-Z, Necrozma.why kecleon? isnt that 10000% outclassed by blac?)

B

Cresselia (Xatu, Clefable, Audino, Sigilyph, Swoobat)this thing is B? unaware cress is seriously hard to stop.
Swampert (Miltank)
Venusaur-Mega (Shiinotic, Cradily, Palossand,bellossom quiver dance+strength sap is a deadly combo)

B-

Dodrio (Crustle)
Marowak-Alola (Victini)
Suicune (Toxapex, Quagsire, Masquerain, Tapu Fini, Corsola) WHAT. WHAT?!?!!?!?!? no. get this dog back up there.

C-Rank:

C+

Heracross (Mienshao)

C

Hydreigon (Clawitzer)
Nidoqueen (Cradily)
Stunfisk (Flygon)
Zygarde (Gliscor)

C-

Rotom-H (Golem-A)
Salamence (Ambipom)
Scizor-Mega (Klinklang)

D-Rank:

Chandelure (Gourgeist)
Eevee (Bibarel)
Floatzel (Bibarel)
Sawsbuck (Sudowoodo)
Torkoal (Breloom)

*takes a deep breath*not trying to be rude here, but im putting the infinite amounts of stuff i need to address into the quote above.
i honestly gave up up at C rank because simply glossing over it filled me with contradictions. i only went after the mons ive seen/used.(again not trying to be rude, you put a lot of effort into it and im not saying your effort was bad. there was just so many things i find off, some i didnt mention simply because i never used/seen heatran or the others enough)

and not trying to shame, be rude, or pick one over the other, but i honestly think drampa's version is a much more accurate representation of my experience of how inh feels in terms of viability.

Last edited:

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Here it is everyone:

S-Rank:

A-Rank:

A+

A

A-

B-Rank:

B+

B

Swampert (Miltank)

B-

Dodrio (Crustle)
Marowak-Alola (Victini)

C-Rank:

C+

Heracross (Mienshao)

C

Hydreigon (Clawitzer)
Nidoqueen (Cradily)
Stunfisk (Flygon)
Zygarde (Gliscor)

C-

Rotom-H (Golem-A)
Salamence (Ambipom)
Scizor-Mega (Klinklang)

D-Rank:

Chandelure (Gourgeist)
Eevee (Bibarel)
Floatzel (Bibarel)
Sawsbuck (Sudowoodo)
Torkoal (Breloom)

That's a lot of work, congrats.
Nominations :
  • Roserade : C+ --> UR
    With Shell Smash being banned, this becomes nothing more than a meme. Don't use it.
  • Skarmory : B+ --> C+
    Mainly outclassed by Steela, unless you go for a fully physical set.
  • Vikavolt : C+ --> UR
    Haven't seen it in action so i can't really say, but this doesn't look interesting at all, even under Trick Room.
    The Illumise set lacks in my opinion the power to wallbreak.
    The Porygon-Z set is interesting, but Ampharos-mega does a similar job better.
    Magearna may find uses but that's definitely not C+ level.
  • Magnezone : B- --> UR
    Loses its main Magnet Pull niche, and Vikavolt doesnt give it anything interesting besides Levitate and Agility.
  • Infernape : UR --> B
    Talking about Magnet Pull, this one does the job really well when inheriting from Golem-Alola.
    Being able to succesfully trap and kill Tran, Steela (lacking FF), Ferro, Magearna (lacking FF, but it's not a common set anyway) and Bisharp really helps.
Oh yeah, i could make a big post about it, but i agree with almost all other's noms above. So basically just change bad stuff.

I know I'm kinda biased having just made one of these but...

NB: after having written this i feel like i should note if i say something belongs in a or b i mean the larger rank, not the subrank. jsyk.
Also Shell Smash and Innards Out got banned halfway through me writing this lmao.

Lando-T: Is not nearly worthy of S. It's much worse than it is in OU and I honestly rarely see it. The lack of donors with both EQ and a good flying move besides Acrobatics really hurts its ability to perform at the level you'd expect an S rank pokemon too, and a ton of things either wall it easily thanks to newfound recovery (Steela notably) or outspeed and OHKO with their new toy Ice Beam (like Blac!Nido).

Heatran: How is this S rank but Blacephalon isn't?

Blacephalon: This is S no question. Easily the most dominant pokemon in the metagame, it has several extremely dominant sets, including 3 from the same donor (Torkoal: Specs, Scarf, and Smash) which make it not only extremely dangerous, but unpredictable from team preview.

Gengar: Seems too high. It's good, but it's currently overshadowed by Blacephalon and hurt by the presence on Muk-A on like every Balance team.

Tapu Fini: This, tbh probably shouldn't be above Suicune. Suicune has better bulk especially physically and otherwise they're basically the same other than Fini's somewhat better typing.... wait how the hell is Suicune in B-???

Mega Houndoom: I know this thing hits hella hard, but it's incredibly easy to revenge kill. The passive damage, the -1 defenses from Shell Smash, and the limited sun turns make it fairly easy to play against compared to something like Blacephalon, especially for offense and balance.

Terrakion: Has a huge number of potential sets and an amazing STAB combo that make it A+ at the minimum imo. It's just so easy to slot onto your team.

Otherwise A looks p decent.

Muk-Alola: This thing is a staple on balance and probably the single best pivot in the metagame. It checks not only Blac!Nido but all Lele inheritors and basically any special attackers that don't have a strong ability / STAB boosted SE move, including shell smash Blacephalon if it doesn't carry Life Orb (and you don't try to switch in when it's already at +2: you live one hit at +2 and force it out by threatening the OHKO with Knock Off)

Magearna: Has consistently been disappointing to me. It's weak to several of the most common types being thrown around the tier, doesn't get pivoting on its Regen sets, and overall just doesn't fit well in the meta. Somewhere in the B's seems better than in the A's.

Latios: I've only used the one set, but if Latios!Tapu Lele is the most viable i shudder to see the rest. Things like Kecleon are better done by other stuff that outspeed the base 110 speed tier, and honestly I just don't think Latios is very viable.

Thundurus-I: Is great. I don't see lower than A, but I could also see it staying A- ig.

Alakazam: Non-mega Zam is pretty mediocre.

Buzzwole: This is probably the best physical wall in the tier, a staple on stall and common on balance with niches on offensive playstyles due to its high attack stat. It pairs amazingly with Muk-A,is fairly customizable (I'm running a Volbeat set for the Ice Punch for instance so Grounds can't set up on it), and is overall too good to be a B mon.

Doublade: Is weak to a lot of common offensive types. Dark, Fire, Ground are all extremely common on physical mons, and while Doublade has the raw bulk to shrug off some of those hits and the attack stat to punish switches, it doesn't fit well in B+ imo.

Glalie: Sure

Greninja: Don't know enough to say tbh

Hoopa: Explain to me why I'm using this over other, better Pokemon, with better speed tiers.

Pidgeot-Mega: sure

Skarmory: Why would anyone use this over Celesteela? It's just... outclassed. It's very slightly bulkier physically and that's all. It's not a big difference in bulk for a huge difference specially and offensively. I'm not sure why this would even be worth ranking besides maybe at the bottom in a "don't use this" category.

Ursaring: pass due to lack of experience

Weavile: sure w/e i have no strong feeling about weavile

Xurkitree: Is pretty bad outside of Raichu-Alola sets, which you don't even have listed. It's just too damn slow, and electric immunities are p common.

Altaria-Mega: As Chopin said to me, this doesn't perform quite up to the standard expected, and after some thought, it was probably ranked too high on the one I helped make.

Ampharos-Mega: Capable of doing quite well, but is pretty matchup dependent and can struggle setting up. IMO it's B- or C somewhere material, but I'm not very confident about this one.

A couple whatevers...

Cresselia: wtf why is this so low. This is an easy A (somewhere in A's) imo. It's fantastic mixed bulk allows it to easily do bulky mon things, and do them well. And bulkily. Psychic and Fighting resists are nice as well

Golisopod is p amazing. A lot of good resists, including a coveted ground resist let it check a lot of physical mons, and it forms a great core with Muk-A. I'd say B+ because it's really annoying to face.

Venusaur-Mega is really nice. Solid bulk lets it be either a great bulky set-up sweeper or good defensive mon. It's main problem is that it takes the mega slot, which is highly fought over in this meta.

Tyranitar has been so disappointing :'(

Swampert: Just realized you're missing Mega Pert, which has a nice Politoed inherit set. Given that Shell Smash is now banned (like just now) I predict falling levels of torkoal inheritors and this set increasing in popularity... but it should be on the viaility rankings even with how it stands now. Maybe at the same rank as pert or a little higher. Wait nvm Megapert is in C-. That's far too low i m o.

aaaand that's all I'm gonna comment on for B

Stakataka is missing a Necrozma donating set, and should, imo be higher.

That meme Dodrio set isn't worthy of being on the viability rankings pls. C's at the highest.

As said above, Suicune is amazing and deserves to be in the A's, not at the bottom of B.

Excadrill is really solid and makes a great scarfer with something like Gumshoos, it could stand to go up a subrank or two.

Guzzlord should go to D if it remains at all with the Innards Out ban removing its main niche.

Thundurus-T should probably have the right icon.... wait is my computer going buggy again.... because suddenly alot of them have.... never mind.

Aerodactyl is one of the best suicide leads in the meta and could stand to rise to B or B-

That's all I really have the energy to comment rn. If you want to see where I thought things should go u can check the link I posted above ofc, for a more complete version. (altho I have since changed my mind on MAlt tbh)
shell smash just got banned so that probably shouldn't be used as a reason for stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)