Smogon Forums

Eisenherz
Eisenherz
I can understand the struggle! I've gotten to 127 4 times only to find out I made a mistake somewhere... it's really difficult to stay focused. For me, I found listening to music was the best I could have to accompany the process - whenever I tried watching something at the same time, I ended up messing up somewhere between 60 and 100. 10 egg intervals make sense... you need to bite the bullet and make sure to concentrate on what you're doing the entire time. Also, you need to not feel sleepy...! I would agree with 3 1/2-4 hours, that's pretty much what it took me. I ended up taking a break every 25, the hardest was to not start being overconfident after reaching 70+ and letting my guard down for just a minute haha. It's a real pain, but worth the investment once you get it (and it's only a matter of time since there is no luck involved, as long as you do it right it's ensured to work!).
Eisenherz
Eisenherz
I don't know if you're getting USUM, but I've tested the 8 Magikarp method in there and it works perfectly fine. If you haven't bred yet in these games yet, that's a really quick and easy way to get your seed!
Cutefluffysheep
Cutefluffysheep
Thank you for the help! I was watching stuff on my phone when I messed up, I’ll try to set it aside. Music is also a helpful suggestion I’ll try out. I did get ultra moon even though I said I wouldn’t, so maybe I’ll try it out there and keep sun as my recreational breeding game.
Cutefluffysheep
Cutefluffysheep
So I think I accepted an egg I was supposed to reject. Same nature, gender, and characteristic, and I had suspicion I had done exactly that at that egg. How can I test if I did or not? Looking at the guide, I’m guessing if the 127 numbers I have don’t match with the Magikarp, since I save before accepting the “test” egg(for this to work, I’d need to save before the egg gets GENERATED, does that still work?), I could soft reset, and put the everstones back on and accept another egg, delete one of the 1s at the spot I’m suspicious I messed up and add the number corresponding to the “128th” everstone egg to the end of the (126 if I delete the one) sequence. Is this process sound?
Cutefluffysheep
Cutefluffysheep
Looking at that, I formatted it pretty badly. If anything’s unclear, just ask! I
Eisenherz
Eisenherz
Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure I understood everything correctly, but if you think you got the exact same egg twice in a row because you forgot to save after refusing, then as long as you know precisely which one in the chain it is, you can try it both ways at the end (with or without this additional 1) and see which one gives you a seed. Since this potentially requires you accepting a 128th egg, you will have to look one more egg/frame further down when testing your seed at the end, but this really shouldn't be a problem. If your resulting seed is found and correct at any point, then at worst you can find where you are with the method I put at the end for finding a lost seed to be sure.

I think what I just said is exactly the process you suggested doing, but I explained it just to be sure we meant the same :P From what I get of it, your process for recovering from doing the same egg twice is sound (I'm pretty sure I did that myself at some point hah). Good luck!!
Cutefluffysheep
Cutefluffysheep
Well I tried finally putting the numbers in the program today, and they still don’t match up unfortunately. As I’m not really motivated at all to try again, I guess I’ll probably just wait until I play through ultra moon. There are a couple other occasions where consecutive magikarp appear the same(I take pictures of every magikarps nature screen), and maybe a couple other places I may have screwed up too, so :/
Eisenherz
Eisenherz
Awww, really sorry to hear this, I know the pain! It took me 2 weeks before feeling motivated enough again after my first 127 attempt. If you don't mind waiting to play through Ultra Moon, that's definitely an easier solution, you don't even need to finish the game before you can breed there (and it has the added benefit of new egg moves!).
Cutefluffysheep
Cutefluffysheep
On the good side, since I have pictures of all the screens, I can start w the egg right after the last one where I think I messed up as the first number. Head start of like 30 I guess. Maybe I’ll try soon. *sees it’s testing season* lol I’ll just do the eight eggs on my um.
Cutefluffysheep
Cutefluffysheep
If I don’t have Shiny charm when I do the eight eggs, but then obtain shiny charm before I begin actually rng ing , does it make a difference?