SM NU [11:09 AM] Young Nutta: i cant believe ppl even take slowbro's name when barbaracle is on the loose

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

in lieu of the current suspect i thought i'd share what i think is one of the most complete barbaracle teams in the metagame. it's fairly standard and easy to use; just keep up the momentum and utilize your hard hitters to brake open a path for barbaracle to sweep. sounds simple enough right? let's get onto the team!

THE TEAM

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

i picked steelix over other rocks setters because it checks the most stuff in the tier with its great stats and typing. although it kills momentum sometimes this team doesn't really mind it since the other 'mons can get it back quite easily. this guy lures bulky waters like 13 y/o's lure in abr, which is important since barbarcle really enjoys them poisoned

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

the best part about using xatu is that most guys don't even consider clicking rocks with it around unless they have a mold breaker 'mon since having rocks bounced back is such a momentum shifter. this is what makes it the best form of hazard control in the tier as it forces some real awkward mind games upon the user. aside from that it's also a real useful pivot for the frailer guys on the team and can rack up some valuable chip damage with rocky helmet. i like to run straight up max defense since being able to get the slow u-turn against uxie and opposing xatus is much better than outspeeding the goons in xatu's speed tier. it's also surprisingly bulky, being able to live stuff like rhydon's 4-hit rock blast and cb sneasel's pursuit.

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Nature Power

to be honest, this guys is as dominant as barbarcle in the current metagame while being much easier to slap on a team. the speed tier is juicy as hell and having the fairy stab really seperates it from the other grass-types. people like to run life orb four attacks with hidden power ground but it misses out on a lot of kills and togedemaru is fringe as fuck, especially in tournament play. i chose energy ball over giga drain since the team appreciates a bigger hit on steelix and slowbro and grass knot is a bit too unreliable for my tastes. nature power has saved my ass quite a few times and is the most optimal last move in my opinion.

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

sneasel is another busted ass pokemon that should be in contention for s-rank. the list of pokemon that can switch into it unpunished are generally limited to real bulky pokemon such as steelix and regirock or bulky z-move users such as nothing i can think of on the top of my head. the ability to pursuit is invaluable for this team since xatu completely walls steelix while ice shard is real helpful for a team whose fastest pokemon is emboar. like steelix, sneasel lures in barbarcle counters like 13 y/o's lure in shake.

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Return

barbarcle is the main focus of this team and arguably the most dangerous sweeper in nu right now. aside from its ability to outrun every common sweeper and muscle through a lot of its checks with continental crush it also provides a lot of unseen defensive benefits for the team versuse choiced users. for example, if the opponent's barbaracle checks are weakened, i can counter choiced delphox and emboar with sneasel and whimsicott respectively, since they can't afford to lock into their fire moves. there's a lot of examples of these scenarios, and it happens more often that you'd expect.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Toxic

i can't really remember why i put emboar on this team as the scarfer over something faster like delphox or rotom, but it's a real effective one nonetheless and it completes the fwg core. choice scarf emboars a real good 'mon since it outruns all the relevant unboosted stuff like sneasel and sceptile while retaining the ability to hit hard as fuck. although there have been times wished i had a bit more speed on this team my prority users generally pick up the slack. toxic in the last slot for the same reason as it's on steelix

THREATLIST

you won't get swept by this if you don't click flare blitz with emboar or nature power with whimsicott or psychic with whimsicott or any move with sneasel. if that's too hard for you then go vote ban

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Nature Power

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Return

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Toxic

Last edited:
hi fooly,
sweet team, i really like it. only real suggestion i have is changing xatus spread to 248 hp / 200 def / 60 spe. You lose minimal bulk and hit a speed tier which includes samurott and abomasnow which the team could potentially struggle with both long term.
good luck with the rest of snake :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)