Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave/Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Switcheroo

I first started using this Pokemon to counter annoying Pokemon like Whimsicott and such. It has also proven to be very good in a lot of other scenarios. It counters a lot of Pokemon. I'll edit this post later with a list of stuff it counters/can counter.

It can beat:
Mega Salamence - outspeeds turn 1, Draco OHKO's.
tbc
If you're running modest, it doesn't really outspeed mence because they usually have protect. Also liek kyube maybe scarf lati is probs the better Dragon.

Reactions: 1vI
If you're running modest, it doesn't really outspeed mence because they usually have protect. Also liek kyube maybe scarf lati is probs the better Dragon.
Agreed, Noivern isn't really that viable, no offense to you or anything. It's heavily outclassed by other dragons such as Kyube, megamence, maybe even altaria or the latis. Other dragons, such as the previously mentioned ones, aren't nearly as frail and can tank a hit or two if necessary.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave/Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Switcheroo

I first started using this Pokemon to counter annoying Pokemon like Whimsicott and such. It has also proven to be very good in a lot of other scenarios. It counters a lot of Pokemon. I'll edit this post later with a list of stuff it counters/can counter.

It can beat:
Mega Salamence - outspeeds turn 1, Draco OHKO's.
tbc
Greninja is a better choice because of Protean and coverage moves.

----------------------

First time posting here. Just want to make a comment about Sableye-M.

Sableye-M should be rank A. Sable is able to check Chansey, scarf Kyurem-B, Gyarados without taunt, Salamence-M, Greninja, Dragonite, Porygon-Z, and Whimsicott.

Notable sets: Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Metal Burst, Calm Mind, Foul Play, Taunt, Night Shade, Seismic Toss, Toxic, Counter, Confuse Ray, Torment.

Most people use max HP and max spDef, however, max HP and max Def can also be used to target physical offensive Pokes. Abilities can be changed accordingly to counter other teams, just like Gyarados.

This Pokemon influence the metagame.

Last edited:
Greninja is a better choice because of Protean and coverage moves.

----------------------

First time posting here. Just want to make a comment about Sableye-M.

Sableye-M should be rank A. Sable is able to check Chansey, scarf Kyurem-B, Gyarados without taunt, Salamence-M, Greninja, Dragonite, Porygon-Z, and Whimsicott.

Notable sets: Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Metal Burst, Calm Mind, Foul Play, Taunt, Night Shade, Seismic Toss, Toxic, Counter, Confuse Ray, Torment.

Most people use max HP and max spDef, however, max HP and max Def can also be used to target physical offensive Pokes. Abilities can be changed accordingly to counter other teams, just like Gyarados.

This Pokemon influence the metagame.
I always wanted sableye to be higher, but like mega maw and char x usuallt just beat it. Also mega mence usually beats sableye unless max def, but then you're weak to Char y.

Hello everyone,

I've noticed some Pokemon are missing from the viability rankings. For one, I haven't used this one personally, but I feel that Haxorus deserves a spot somewhere. Thoughts from someone who has used it more? Also, how about Darmanitan/Emboar? Avalugg?

As for a Pokemon I'm particularly fond of... Scolipede for D Rank

Scolipede @ Liechi Berry / some other item
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 206 HP / 182 Atk / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide

Don't really have enough time to make a long post, and I made this set a while ago so I'm a bit "rusty," but this Pokemon is pretty fun to use, if a bit unreliable. Speed Boost is a great ability for random Choice Scarf users and beating faster Pokemon like Alakazam and Greninja. (Bug offensive typing is actually decent in 1v1; it also hits Meloetta, Mega Slowbro, Hoopa-U, Mew, and some others.)

Some other random threats: Scolipede fares well against CounterCoat users due to Swords Dance and doesn't fear Taunt Deoxys-D at all thanks to Megahorn. The EVs allow it to survive a Kyurem-Black's Outrage and 2HKO with the help of the Liechi Berry. It can OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Rock Slide as well and beat Mega Gyarados with decent prediction and luck. Protecting against Sableye turn 1 prevents priority Will-o-Wisp and sets Scolipede up in a decent position.

There are some other moveset options, like Superpower, Poison-type moves, Iron Defense, Substitute, etc.; I haven't tried too many myself. Perhaps xiaomeow/potatopickle could weigh in as well?

What do you guys think? Does something else do better in a similar role? Is it worthy of being ranked? Am I crazy?

Agreed, Noivern isn't really that viable, no offense to you or anything. It's heavily outclassed by other dragons such as Kyube, megamence, maybe even altaria or the latis. Other dragons, such as the previously mentioned ones, aren't nearly as frail and can tank a hit or two if necessary.
Noivern does have quite a niche beyond this however... at over 110 spe it is capable of outspeeding many common threats, and most of the non-scarf tier in general. It obviously isn't as strong as say Kyurem-Black or other simular pokes, but with its no faster spe, no doubt it is capable of outspeeding most anything it wants. (extra: I think specs flamethrower might beat common mawile sets)

Also, UC, I haven't actually seen scolipede before, so I wouldn't know exactly how many pokemon it can beat, but it does seem like a decent swords dancer +outspeeder if it gets a useful type matchup.

Also, what do you guys think about Porygon-Z for S Rank due to its pure power and ability to check most anything unresisting (or outspeeding scarf with an even faster scarf.. but would lose to bulky/custap variants so not that useful. (PZ can abuse Nasty Plot, Adaptability, Hyper Beam, Uproar (sound + sleep immune), Trick Choice, lovely great spatk, as well as a few other things. (can ohko mawile-mega, power through chansey, and beat all the other S ranks, as well as most others)
I can make a more official post on this later.

PZ is a huge threat I agree with you on that but I dont rlly see is ability to run NP just due to how frail it is.
Your other points are all really solid and Ive tried out PZ a few times in the psong meta and it wasn't too disappointing (Ive quit playing pokemon) although its speed is somewhat lackluster compared to a few other threats.

UC I havent seen Scolipede at all but what would you thing about a sub over SD set? It allows Scolipede to get a surefire attack boost in cases where you cant set up because the opponent OHKO's you. I think that Scolipede could work in C as most of the D rank mons are p niche and seem worse than Scolipede. It has a huge negative in not being able to hit mawile or other steel types and its defenses are subpar but it has more to offer than to lose.

Last edited:

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
In accordance to what BattleDragon said, I would also like to suggest Porygon-Z for S Rank.
P-Z sports an intimidatingly high SpAtk stat, backed up by the presence of either Adaptability or Download, and also a wide variety of coverage which makes it capable of handling opponents of nearly every type, coupled with the fact that it can Trick a Choice item onto a stall-oriented opponent make it capable of stepping on a vast majority of the meta.

I'll list a few sets I like to use below:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Uproar
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

This set allows P-Z to handle a surprising amount of opponents from what it looks like it could; Uproar allows it to pierce Substitute users while also being very powerful (Powerful enough to OHKO a Charizard X or Kyurem B, given that they aren't specially defensive) and negating being put to sleep if it can go before the user of the sleep move. Blizzard provides a way of simply hitting hard while also adding coverage, making it capable of OHKO-ing a Dragonite with 252 EVs in HP, and 2HKO-ing a physically defensive Sableye-Mega after using Calm Mind. Hyper Beam is present for the sake of necessary power, rather than coverage, making it capable of taking out relatively bulky opponents such as Azumarill, Victini (if it's slower than P-Z), Mew, Mawile-Mega, and other similarly structured Pokemon. Shadow ball serves little purpose overall, but makes it capable of taking out Pokemon that would have otherwise stopped it, such as Metagross-Mega and potentially even Aegislash, given if Download boosts SpAtk rather than Atk.
The purpose of the EVs in Defense are to make it so that P-Z is made capable of withstanding a Flare Blitz/Outrage from Charizard-X, and an Outrage from Scarfed Kyurem-B. The 12 EVs in speed make it capable of speed creeping a Deoxys-D, given less than 12 or no investment at all in speed, and just barely faster than a max speed Mega-Mawile, should someone be as insane as to use one.

Subsequently, a similar Porygon-Z set can be used with the alternate ability, Adaptability, to make it capable of OHKO-ing a max HP Gardevoir-Mega with Hyper Beam, and guaranteeing an OHKO on Charizard-X with Uproar, given that the Download boost will usually cause P-Z's Atk to go up rather than it's SpAtk when encountering a Charizard.

Porygon-Z @ Custap Berry
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 244 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Endure
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

This specific set on P-Z gives it a way of stepping on anti-Choise mons like Alakazam and Banette-Mega, while also giving it a way to stand up to opponents who would potentially be faster than even a max speed Scarfed P-Z, such as Scarfed Kyurem-B, Darmanitan, Latios, and others. Nasty Plot gives it a method of stopping pokemon like Chansey without even needing to Trick a Choice item onto them, making it capable of also handling stall-oriented Mega Evolved pokemon such as Venusaur and Slowbro. Endure also gives P-Z the chance to completely stop pokemon with recharge moves, such as Greninja, Slaking, Charizard-Y, Other P-Z's, etc. Shadow ball serves as a method of softly hitting opponents to do things such as weaken them up so that Hyper Beam will finish them, break Substitute, break Sturdy, etc.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Coverage
- Coverage
- Coverage

The most commonly known set of Porygon-Z, this set, while still being known by many, is still capable of threatening many pokemon and entire teams easily. Since Download doesn't really help it handle all that many pokemon, Adaptability is the main Ability of choice for a Scarfed P-Z. Hyper beam is easily able to OHKO a wide selection of pokemon lacking in bulk, while the other three move slots can be changed accordingly to properly handle what you're encountering at the moment, similar to Greninja.

Porygon-Z can also be used differently from the sets mentioned above, but currently, I don't really know what could be better than these sets without becoming too gimmicky or made for the purpose of Counter-teaming someone.

Thoughts? I'm open to discussion and ideas.

Hello everyone,

I've noticed some Pokemon are missing from the viability rankings. For one, I haven't used this one personally, but I feel that Haxorus deserves a spot somewhere. Thoughts from someone who has used it more? Also, how about Darmanitan/Emboar? Avalugg?

As for a Pokemon I'm particularly fond of... Scolipede for D Rank

Scolipede @ Liechi Berry / some other item
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 206 HP / 182 Atk / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide

Don't really have enough time to make a long post, and I made this set a while ago so I'm a bit "rusty," but this Pokemon is pretty fun to use, if a bit unreliable. Speed Boost is a great ability for random Choice Scarf users and beating faster Pokemon like Alakazam and Greninja. (Bug offensive typing is actually decent in 1v1; it also hits Meloetta, Mega Slowbro, Hoopa-U, Mew, and some others.)

Some other random threats: Scolipede fares well against CounterCoat users due to Swords Dance and doesn't fear Taunt Deoxys-D at all thanks to Megahorn. The EVs allow it to survive a Kyurem-Black's Outrage and 2HKO with the help of the Liechi Berry. It can OHKO Mega Charizard Y with Rock Slide as well and beat Mega Gyarados with decent prediction and luck. Protecting against Sableye turn 1 prevents priority Will-o-Wisp and sets Scolipede up in a decent position.

There are some other moveset options, like Superpower, Poison-type moves, Iron Defense, Substitute, etc.; I haven't tried too many myself. Perhaps xiaomeow/potatopickle could weigh in as well?

What do you guys think? Does something else do better in a similar role? Is it worthy of being ranked? Am I crazy?
I mean in my experience of using scolipede, it is pretty gimmicky. It pulls victories mainly by haxing things to dragons getting locked into outrage, and its fun to play with. There's also a dank toxic protect stall set that catches stuff that want to set up on it off guard too. Overall, I would say just a fun mon to mess around with.

PZ is a huge threat I agree with you on that but I dont rlly see is ability to run NP just due to how frail it is.
Your other points are all really solid and Ive tried out PZ a few times in the psong meta and it wasn't too disappointing (Ive quit playing pokemon) although its speed is somewhat lackluster compared to a few other threats.

UC I havent seen Scolipede at all but what would you thing about a sub over SD set? It allows Scolipede to get a surefire attack boost in cases where you cant set up because the opponent OHKO's you. I think that Scolipede could work in C as most of the D rank mons are p niche and seem worse than Scolipede. It has a huge negative in not being able to hit mawile or other steel types and its defenses are subpar but it has more to offer than to lose.
It doesnt reallt like to take hits either,that's why sub spam and such

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discussion time:

: A to B?
: C to B?
: Unranked to D?
: A to S?

Fake Melo

Banned deucer.
Discussion time:

: A to B?
: Unranked to D?
: A to S?
>
: A to B? :
When comparing Aegi to other A rank mons, it kind of makes you wonder why it is even there. Though Aegi does a good job as being one of the best ghost in the tier and completely walling Chansey, I've yet to see a set that could stand up to much meta. It doesn't beat much in the meta, and while yes it can hard check a few very viable Pokemon all its doing is covering those few. It offers very little versatility and simply walls what it can and loses to the rest. Though potpic recommended dropping this thing to C, I still think the fact that it can hard wall Chansey, Mawile, and Kyub + being able to create King Shield 50/50s on set up mons most notably Char-X earns it a spot in B. Support to B
>
: C to B? :
This one is a little hard, though I've had no personal experience with it myself, I have faced it on the ladder and have had slight issues with it. Going off what Gross Sweep said, it seems to put a lot of pressure on Zard opening a lot of variables. Things like if it is X/Y, if so will he stay unmega and D-dance, or will he go for broke? This opens up more questions on what the user of Amphy should use and makes a lot of guessing if you don't know what your opponent is running from previous battles. The list provided of things it beats had some notable checks things like non SD Mawile(not very common), Mega Meta, Mega Bro, and Rhyperior. This is of course if what Gross Sweep said in his post about Amphy was true. I'd support this thing if I had some experience with it, but considering I've only played it on the ladder a few times I'll have to Abstain
>
: C to B? :
No experience with it, not much against it, and can't seem to find a post regarding it. Will edit and discuss after some possible Testing if I find the time.
Just from the calcs I did when deciding on a set for this thing I realized it was insanely good. Being able to take out both Charizard Y & X(Char-X comes down to a 50/50) with one diamond storm, being able to OHKO Sala with moonblast, and Kyub as well(beats Kyub unless Iron head, but that isn't very common). If you noticed that is most of the S tier, huge for a C rank Pokemon am I right? It can also beat gyra if hidden power electric but its hard to find room for that with protect taking up a slot. Its attack stats alone are very good, and after one protect its speed stat is way high, the fact that it needs protect really sets it back, it requires a very important slot and takes a turn that can be predicted. Diancie dies to anything that can live a hit and click a steel type move on it, most notably Aggron and Mega-Meta. It also has trouble dealing with sturdy Pokemon. Comparing this to other C ranked Pokemon is disrespectful. Diancie is easily B. Support
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 370-436 (121.7 - 143.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 396-468 (101.2 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
10 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 300-354 (101 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
10 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 796-940 (268 - 316.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 434-512 (131.1 - 154.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

>
: Unranked to D? :
This one is interesting, after running into it a few times I've never really thought of it to be a threat, but worse things are ranked. The idea of it being able to sigificantly increase its speed with the use of one move slot is really good; though this isn't exactly free considering with certain Pokemon protect can be predicted but its far better than having to waste an item slot and be locked into one move as with choice scarf. Being able to hard check Zard-Y(S), beat Deoxys-D(A), possibly beat Gyra(S), beat Sab(B), and as for mentioned by UC beating other Pokemon that have trouble against bug [Meloetta(A), Mega Slowbro(A), Hoopa-U(B), Mew(B), and so on]. As you can see I labeled the things it beats by ranking and it beats quite a few from the higher half of the meta. Better things have been, and are ranked in D. Support
>
: A to S? :
The big fish in the room, Pory to S this one is a good one its been awhile since we've had discussion regarding going from or into S. Pory's sheer power from its STAB hyper beam + high SPA and Adaptability should set alarms right off the bat. Pair that with its high speed stat and ability to run bulk that actually works and you have yourself a threat. That isn't even mentioning all the sets Glyx mentioned, and all the possible moves and sets that can branch from those. Trick + Choice is already well known for being really damn good, pairing that with a Pokemon that is very viable with a choice item without needing trick is all the better. Still on the subject of trickchoice, the fact that Pory can run a Trick Choice set, and still beat mega Pokemon is an amazing trait. It's trickchoice set alone cries amazing. Its custap build is great, I've personally seen it on the ladder and was shocked at how it literally just won. If proper bulk is invested, certain match ups won't even require an endure and can just click Nasty Plot then win. Its coverage is great, I mean look at the moves it can learn coverage wise: Shadow Ball, Thunder Bolt, Ice beam / blizzard, Psyshock, and signal beam. I think what sets a lot of the S rank Pokemon apart from others is versatility, being able to have different sets that almost seemingly change the Pokemon it is. Changing what it beats and what it doesn't. Of course things like that are out of the window with Mawile and Chansey, but both their vanilla sets are not easy to counter. Porygon-Z provides great versatility, coverage, and raw power to the match when he comes out. Support

Last edited:
Well if aegislash players played a little less obvious I would give it more credit. All I've seen happen wit aegislash is them king shielding every possible moment.. however occa smash tho. In addition, aegislash can't even touch chansey so chansey can just PP stall it to death: 0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 244-288 (34.6 - 40.9%). Just a little note, u sort of calced mawile:252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%)

Last edited:

Fake Melo

Banned deucer.
Just a little note, u sort of calced mawile:252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 240-284 (78.9 - 93.4%)
fixed
Well if aegislash players played a little less obvious I would give it more credit. All I've seen happen wit aegislash is them king shielding every possible moment..
Perhaps this is so, but shouldn't we rank a Pokemon on how good it actually is rather than just the playstyle players who don't know how to use it do? I've ran into a few Aegislashs that have given me some real trouble and aren't as predictable as you'd think.

Reactions: DoW
Aegislash - A to B
I'm not completely sure about this. Aegislash is super well known for it's amazing defensive attacking badassness, but it's actually capable of quite a few more things not quite as commonly used. For one, I've actually successfully used Defensive Aegislash and Choice Specs/Band Aegislash just as well as the normal set, and as a all around threatening Poke, it has plenty of potential beyond the normal sets.
Perhaps with some ladder testing an answer will be more clear.

Edit: Fire and Ground types such as Charizard and Golem do threaten Aegislash quite a bit, as one of the most powerful Steel types of 1v1, and Pokemon in general, Aegislash has held quite a bit of positive influence on every team I've made with it. I beleive it should Stay A Rank

Ampharos with Mega - C to B
Definitely agree. Ampharos is boasts 165 Special Attack, Mold Breaker, good bulk, access to excellent support moves such as Thunder Wave and Cotton Guard, Dragon + Electric + Fighting + Other coverage moves, and a special attack of 165. (can power through say: Calm Mind Sableye-Mega)
Support without doubt

Diancie - C to B
Rock types kill fire types, Fairy types kill Dragon types, and Magic Bounce kills status.
150 defenses and 100 offensives in normal form, on top of 110 defenses and 160 offenses and 110 spe in mega form is quite formiddable. Bar powerful Steel attacks, this Carbink princess is without a doubt capable of destroying many threats, especially in a meta filled with stall dragons and charizards.
Support

Scolipede - to D rank
Honestly I don't know where this came from, but from the points made, and a small test run, I can see this being capable. Given my Riolu set is just as capable of taking out specified threats simular to Scolipede, and sitting with Aron in C rank, I think Scolipede would be quite fine in D rank.
Support

Porygon-Z to S Rank
I actually quickly prepared a post for this earlier so if you want to read it, here it is: http://pastebin.com/raw/dMz2mxxE
Support

Last edited:
Reactions: DEG

so bummed

Banned deucer.
Aegislash, A to B, I support.
With the rise in usage of more counters to aegislash, such as gyara and the zards, this thing is nerfed and simply cannot deal with such mons, and since they are used so much aegislash is just far less usable in terms of viability.

Ampharos-Mega, C to B, I support.
This mon is a very good choice for most teams right now, as it can beat all of the S rank mons, with a set of toxic/Focus blast (CHANSEY loses to both, but toxic is a more certain win, focus blast relies on hitting) thunder wave, dragon pulse and thunderbolt. If a mon which can deal with the whole of S rank isn't at least B ranked, then that's just dumb.

Diancie, C to B, I support
Diancie is a very interesting mon in 1v1 as it doesn't have to run a mega set, which is what everyone is assuming. It's mega set is very good and I would just reiterate exactly what everyone has been saying if I posted on it, so instead I'll focus on the non mega side. It has great bulk if it chooses not to mega evolve and can run a variety of sets from trick room (which the mega set can run too) to a weakness policy set which is my personal favourite, props to Rumplestiltskin for that set btw. Yeah I definitely think this should be B, both in mega and non mega form.

Scolipede, Unranked to D. Not sure.
I havnt tested this so I'll leave it to people who have, although judging from uselesscrabs post I would say it's fine to move it to D rank.

Porygon A to S. I support.
If I posted what I thought I'd reword other people's posts, so I'll just say, this is a fucking nuke. It needs S rank imo. It's combination of power and scarf speed (most common set) as well as endure and Custap just turns it into the atomic bomb of 1v1. Definitely deserves S rank.

Last edited:

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
I remember when we were initially making the viability rankings why we put Diancie in C, and it was because of the abundance of steel type attacks in the meta that are very likely to OHKO Diancie due to its 4x weakness to steel. Nothing has changed about that fact since then, so I don't see why Diancie should go to B rank.

Riolu should be moved from C rank to D rank.
First off, what does Riolu do? Riolu is a gimmick that uses prankster copycat in conjunction with dig in order to slowly kill an opponent. Unfortunately, Riolu loses to far more pokemon than it beats. Lets look at what it loses to:
Recovery,Flying types/Air Balloon/Levitate,Priority,Pokemon slower than it,Earthquake,Taunt, Trick/Switcherro, and encore.
With that considered, here are Riolu's matchups with all the S rank pokemon: Chansey, Zard Y, and Salamence pp stall it, Zard X and Mega gyarados pp stall it of they don't mega evolve. Riolu can sometimes beat Mawile, provided it doesnt sucker punch when Riolu uses dig for the first time. The only S rank mon Riolu always beats is Kyurem-Black.
As for the A ranked mons,
Riolu loses to Aegislash if it either runs minimum speed or has shadow sneak, Riolu gets pp stalled by Deoxys-D, Riolu gets espeeded by Dragonite, or gets pp stalled if it doesnt run it, gets eqd by garchomp, gets a specs tricked to it from meloetta, gets either eqd or bullet punched by Mega Metagross, gets pp stalled by Porygon-2, gets eqd by rhyperior, gets pp stalled by mega slowbro, gets pp stalled by togekiss, and gets taunted and seeded by whimsicott. The only a rank pokemon that riolu can beat are Mega Gardevoir, and Greninja.
It doesn't fare any better against the b ranked mons either. It gets out-slowed by mega aggron, pp stalled by mega altaria if it doesnt mega evolve, gets pp stalled by archeops, mach punched by conkelduur, eqd by crustle, espeeded by entei and genesect, eqd by golem, pp stalled by heatran if it runs a balloon, pp stalled by landorus and non-choiced latios, gets encored by loppuny, espeeded/vacuum waved by mega lucario, pp stalled by air balloon magnezone, taunted by mew, out-slowed by mega sableye, pp stalled by slyveon, and pp stalled by mega venusaur.
tl;dr Riolu does not deserve to be C rank. The only mons it can beat (in the S-B range) are Kyurem, Mega Mawile(sometimes), Mega Gardevoir, Greninja, Mega Blastoise, Cloyster, Balloon-less Heatran, Hoopa-U, Choiced Latios, Jirachi, Balloon-less Magnezone, Manaphy and Victini. Not including Mawile, Magnezone, Latios, and Heatran as things Riolu beats, Riolu beats 9/49 pokemon, which is about 1/5. This is not worthy of C rank.

Last edited:
Here's the first Riolu post for reference: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-viability-ranking.3536109/page-10#post-6393070

Riolu should be moved from C rank to D rank.
First off, what does Riolu do? Riolu is a gimmick that uses prankster copycat in conjunction with dig in order to slowly kill an opponent. Unfortunately, Riolu loses to far more pokemon than it beats. Lets look at what it loses to:
Recovery,Flying types/Air Balloon/Levitate,Priority,Pokemon slower than it,Earthquake,Taunt, Trick/Switcherro, and encore.
With that considered, here are Riolu's matchups with all the S rank pokemon: Chansey, Zard Y, and Salamence pp stall it, Zard X and Mega gyarados pp stall it of they don't mega evolve. Riolu can sometimes beat Mawile, provided it doesnt sucker punch when Riolu uses dig for the first time. The only S rank mon Riolu always beats is Kyurem-Black.
As for the A ranked mons,
Riolu loses to Aegislash if it either runs minimum speed or has shadow sneak, Riolu gets pp stalled by Deoxys-D, Riolu gets espeeded by Dragonite, or gets pp stalled if it doesnt run it, gets eqd by garchomp, gets a specs tricked to it from meloetta, gets either eqd or bullet punched by Mega Metagross, gets pp stalled by Porygon-2, gets eqd by rhyperior, gets pp stalled by mega slowbro, gets pp stalled by togekiss, and gets taunted and seeded by whimsicott. The only a rank pokemon that riolu can beat are Mega Gardevoir, and Greninja.
It doesn't fare any better against the b ranked mons either. It gets out-slowed by mega aggron, pp stalled by mega altaria if it doesnt mega evolve, gets pp stalled by archeops, mach punched by conkelduur, eqd by crustle, espeeded by entei and genesect, eqd by golem, pp stalled by heatran if it runs a balloon, pp stalled by landorus and non-choiced latios, gets encored by loppuny, espeeded/vacuum waved by mega lucario, pp stalled by air balloon magnezone, taunted by mew, out-slowed by mega sableye, pp stalled by slyveon, and pp stalled by mega venusaur.
tl;dr Riolu does not deserve to be C rank. The only mons it can beat (in the S-B range) are Kyurem, Mega Mawile(sometimes), Mega Gardevoir, Greninja, Mega Blastoise, Cloyster, Balloon-less Heatran, Hoopa-U, Choiced Latios, Jirachi, Balloon-less Magnezone, Manaphy and Victini. Not including Mawile, Magnezone, Latios, and Heatran as things Riolu beats, Riolu beats 9/49 pokemon, which is about 1/5. This is not worthy of C rank.
You did make quite a few good points, but not all of them were valid, and you did miss a few others I mentioned in my first posting of Riolu. To prove Riolu's best possible ranking I'm not just going to look at a certain section of 47 1v1 pokemon and their possible movesets, but the general counters of Riolu.

Loses to? (The following points can be used to prove Riolu less useful than C rank)
Riolu does lose to some forms of stall. Riolu does lose to some flying pokemon (Air Balloon + Levitate too). Going before +1 priority and slower than Riolu's dig can sometimes be a satisfactory counter for it. Riolu gets Magnet Rise, so rip Earthquake. Taunt, and Encore can be ignored through Mental Herb, and evaded one copycat dig is active.

Counters Riolu can counter? (The following cannot be used to either lower or disprove Riolu's possible usefulness: neutral)
Riolu can set up atk on just a few stall, and can also rest pp stall those not capable of hurting it enough. Flying types must have over 64 PP of offensive moves to guarantee Riolu counter. Air Balloon users that cannot OHKO Riolu do not suffice, as Riolu could easily break the sub. As for slower offensive pokemon, we all know there are plenty of methods to guarantee you are slower than your opponent, such as lagging tail, that can be added to the set. Finally, I'd like to see you try and use Trick/Switcheroo on it's Substitute.

Wins against? (The following can be used to prove Riolu a good fit in C rank)
Substitute in general stops more Trick/Switcheroo sets than most, as Riolu has Prankster. Riolu also has a few more advantages and movepool possibilities I won't go into specification of. Riolu, beyond some flaws, can overcome and beat all the other Pokemon without the specified requirements listed above, and is very much capable of pulling it's own weight.

Side Notes: On top of this, many of the 1v1 sets in the rankings are very specific and/or customized to meet certain threats.
A C Rank Comparison: Riolu, simularly to Aron, has many counters, but in some situations will come out on top. For example, Riolu may sometimes lose to Earthquake and priority modifications, but Aron loses to status multi-hit moves, and ghost types, yet it's remained C rank. Just because a you can Taunt a Deoxys-Defense doesn't mean it can't wall a simple Charizard-Mega-X.

So my conclusion? Yes maybe Riolu could go to a lower rank, but I believe it fits in quite fine with Aron rank, as you cannot expect it to beat all of the higher rank 1v1 sets, even though it does beat many Pokemon.

On a side note, I would like to prepare a Snorlax viability rankings post with my current most successful set (of all my 1v1ing)

Edit: OK I'm going to begin my post on small Snorlax C to B rank posting right now.

):0[=< (Snorlax) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Belly Drum
- Return/Coverage
- Coverage/Substitute

Noteable stats: 110 Atk, 110 SpDef, 160 HP

What does it do?
Snorlax is capable of doing quite a few different things with its bulk, attack, and ability/moveset, the first being Counter. Counter enables Snorlax to answer back any physical attack with twice as much damage, especially useful with 160 HP, and many times force the physical attackers who can, use a setup move like dragon dance to avoid being killed. The second thing Snorlax can do is Belly Drum. Belly Drum allows Snorlax to set up an instant Double Huge Power against either stall Pokemon or physical attackers who tried to setup against Counter. Finally, Snorlax can run many different coverage movepools, with elemental punches, Superpower, Crunch, Return, Giga Impact, Earthquake, Gunk Shot, and many other powerful moves. (Extra: Substitute vs Protect users and some other status moves)

But wait! Theres more! The Custap Berry allows Pokemon below 25% HP to go first! This means Snorlax can take a hit then hit a second time first the next turn! But wait! Theres even more! Gluttony allows Snorlax to use the Custap Berry at only 50% HP! This means Snorlax can take a hit, attack, then attack again the second turn, or Belly Drum down to half half HP, then attack first the next turn!

This set has destroyed entire teams for me, however, this set may sometimes need a bit more prediction (A rank: These Pokemon have a great matchups against other Pokemon yet are checked easier than S rank Pokemon and requires more prediction to use.), but I think a simple B rank with it's Manaphy-like set would do just fine.

C - B rank for this amazing Snorlax set? What you you think?

(extra: Snorlax can run one of the most annoying stall sets ever, as well as many other forms of offensive sets like Choice Band)

AND even more... I think we should have some kind of group/thread were people can post tryouts of different theorymons of theirs, not just for 1v1, but perhaps for all oms.

AND EVEN MORE! Edited my post on Aegislash, Diancie, Ampharos, Scolipede, And Porygon-Z (Aegislash Stay A Rank)

Phew that took a while to type

Last edited:
Here's the first Riolu post for reference: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-viability-ranking.3536109/page-10#post-6393070

You did make quite a few good points, but not all of them were valid, and you did miss a few others I mentioned in my first posting of Riolu. To prove Riolu's best possible ranking I'm not just going to look at a certain section of 47 1v1 pokemon and their possible movesets, but the general counters of Riolu.

Loses to? (The following points can be used to prove Riolu less useful than C rank)
Riolu does lose to some forms of stall. Riolu does lose to some flying pokemon (Air Balloon + Levitate too). Going before +1 priority and slower than Riolu's dig can sometimes be a satisfactory counter for it. Riolu gets Magnet Rise, so rip Earthquake. Taunt, and Encore can be ignored through Mental Herb, and evaded one copycat dig is active.

Counters Riolu can counter? (The following cannot be used to either lower or disprove Riolu's possible usefulness: neutral)
Riolu can set up atk on just a few stall, and can also rest pp stall those not capable of hurting it enough. Flying types must have over 64 PP of offensive moves to guarantee Riolu counter. Air Balloon users that cannot OHKO Riolu do not suffice, as Riolu could easily break the sub. As for slower offensive pokemon, we all know there are plenty of methods to guarantee you are slower than your opponent, such as lagging tail, that can be added to the set. Finally, I'd like to see you try and use Trick/Switcheroo on it's Substitute.

Wins against? (The following can be used to prove Riolu a good fit in C rank)
Substitute in general stops more Trick/Switcheroo sets than most, as Riolu has Prankster. Riolu also has a few more advantages and movepool possibilities I won't go into specification of. Riolu, beyond some flaws, can overcome and beat all the other Pokemon without the specified requirements listed above, and is very much capable of pulling it's own weight.

Side Notes: On top of this, many of the 1v1 sets in the rankings are very specific and/or customized to meet certain threats.
A C Rank Comparison: Riolu, simularly to Aron, has many counters, but in some situations will come out on top. For example, Riolu may sometimes lose to Earthquake and priority modifications, but Aron loses to status multi-hit moves, and ghost types, yet it's remained C rank. Just because a you can Taunt a Deoxys-Defense doesn't mean it can't wall a simple Charizard-Mega-X.

So my conclusion? Yes maybe Riolu could go to a lower rank, but I believe it fits in quite fine with Aron rank, as you cannot expect it to beat all of the higher rank 1v1 sets, even though it does beat many Pokemon.

On a side note, I would like to prepare a Snorlax viability rankings post with my current most successful set (of all my 1v1ing)

Edit: OK I'm going to begin my post on small Snorlax C to B rank posting right now.

):0[=< (Snorlax) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Belly Drum
- Return/Coverage
- Coverage/Substitute

Noteable stats: 110 Atk, 110 SpDef, 160 HP

What does it do?
Snorlax is capable of doing quite a few different things with its bulk, attack, and ability/moveset, the first being Counter. Counter enables Snorlax to answer back any physical attack with twice as much damage, especially useful with 160 HP, and many times force the physical attackers who can, use a setup move like dragon dance to avoid being killed. The second thing Snorlax can do is Belly Drum. Belly Drum allows Snorlax to set up an instant Double Huge Power against either stall Pokemon or physical attackers who tried to setup against Counter. Finally, Snorlax can run many different coverage movepools, with elemental punches, Superpower, Crunch, Return, Giga Impact, Earthquake, Gunk Shot, and many other powerful moves. (Extra: Substitute vs Protect users and some other status moves)

But wait! Theres more! The Custap Berry allows Pokemon below 25% HP to go first! This means Snorlax can take a hit then hit a second time first the next turn! But wait! Theres even more! Gluttony allows Snorlax to use the Custap Berry at only 50% HP! This means Snorlax can take a hit, attack, then attack again the second turn, or Belly Drum down to half half HP, then attack first the next turn!

This set has destroyed entire teams for me, however, this set may sometimes need a bit more prediction (A rank: These Pokemon have a great matchups against other Pokemon yet are checked easier than S rank Pokemon and requires more prediction to use.), but I think a simple B rank with it's Manaphy-like set would do just fine.

C - B rank for this amazing Snorlax set? What you you think?

(extra: Snorlax can run one of the most annoying stall sets ever, as well as many other forms of offensive sets like Choice Band)

AND even more... I think we should have some kind of group/thread were people can post tryouts of different theorymons of theirs, not just for 1v1, but perhaps for all oms.

AND EVEN MORE! Edited my post on Aegislash, Diancie, Ampharos, Scolipede, And Porygon-Z (Aegislash Stay A Rank)

Phew that took a while to type
Snorlax is pretty savage, just coz of its counter impact coverage. Also it kills mawile and heatran with impact if they dont suspect gluttony... I would support this. Idk if it takes mences impact tho.

Snorlax is pretty savage, just coz of its counter impact coverage. Also it kills mawile and heatran with impact if they dont suspect gluttony... I would support this. Idk if it takes mences impact tho.
I do believe you can EV the Snorlax to live many more hits such as mence impact. (its not horrid def is fine, plus 160 HP is perfect for counter)

Muk for Rank D!
Unranked~~> D

Main movesets
(am on mobile so can't do moving animation thing)

image.gif

Muk @ Lum Berry
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break / Filler
- Fire Punch / Filler
- Gunk Shot
- Substitute / Taunt​

This is my main moveset for Muk. What does it do? I first made Muk into my team because I needed a Mega Mawile Counter (which is why I have Fire Punch) which didn't work as well as I thought it would be... The Lum Berry is for Pokemon like Sableye and Charizard who uses Will-O-Wisp. But, in the same turn, I use Substitute, protecting me from another Will-O-Wisp and damage. From there, Gunk Shot usually does the job (for Charizard). Brick Break is used for neutral coverage and damage on Rock types. Gunk Shot is my main move where I can do a lot of damage.

Here are some replays of me ranking up my alt devoted for testing Muk (LULLYPUP). These are all of my matches. I didn't switch in, for example, Sableye then didn't add it to the replays. All of my matches were with Muk.
Replays-
First match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309061808 (versus Greninja)
Second match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309061808 (versus Mega Gardevoir)
Third match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309065434 (versus Mega Gardevoir) watch this
Fourth match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309076190 (versus Magnemite)
Fifth match: Finally lost against Mega Mawile (didn't save replay)
Sixth match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309082809 (versus Mega Lopunny)
Seventh match: Lost against Mega Mawile again
Eighth match: Lost due to crit. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309084723 (versus Infernape)
Ninth match: Lost (forgot how)
Tenth match (final for this post): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309086120 (versus Talonflame)

What can Muk beat?
Greninja, Smeargle, Magnemite (can outstall), Abomasnow (who brings that..) Yup... this is why it should be D. D- if possible :p

What beats Muk? A lot of things can beat Muk because of its super slow speed..
Mega Charizard (both X & Y), Mega Alakazam, Mega Heracross, Aron, Mega Gyarados, pretty much anything with Earthquake and is faster..

Last edited:
Muk for Rank D!
Unranked~~> D

Main movesets
(am on mobile so can't do moving animation thing)

View attachment 54927
Muk @ Lum Berry
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break / Filler
- Fire Punch / Filler
- Gunk Shot
- Substitute / Taunt​

This is my main moveset for Muk. What does it do? I first made Muk into my team because I needed a Mega Mawile Counter (which is why I have Fire Punch) which didn't work as well as I thought it would be... The Lum Berry is for Pokemon like Sableye and Charizard who uses Will-O-Wisp. But, in the same turn, I use Substitute, protecting me from another Will-O-Wisp and damage. From there, Gunk Shot usually does the job (for Charizard). Brick Break is used for neutral coverage and damage on Rock types. Gunk Shot is my main move where I can do a lot of damage.

Here are some replays of me ranking up my alt devoted for testing Muk (LULLYPUP). These are all of my matches. I didn't switch in, for example, Sableye then didn't add it to the replays. All of my matches were with Muk.
Replays-
First match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309061808 (versus Greninja)
Second match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309061808 (versus Mega Gardevoir)
Third match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309065434 (versus Mega Gardevoir) watch this
Fourth match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309076190 (versus Magnemite)
Fifth match: Finally lost against Mega Mawile (didn't save replay)
Sixth match: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309082809 (versus Mega Lopunny)
Seventh match: Lost against Mega Mawile again
Eighth match: Lost due to crit. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309084723 (versus Infernape)
Ninth match: Lost (forgot how)
Tenth match (final for this post): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-309086120 (versus Talonflame)

What can Muk beat?
Greninja, Smeargle, Magnemite (can outstall), Abomasnow (who brings that..) Yup... this is why it should be D. D- if possible :p

What beats Muk? A lot of things can beat Muk because of its super slow speed..
Mega Charizard (both X & Y), Mega Alakazam, Mega Heracross, Aron, Mega Gyarados, pretty much anything with Earthquake and is faster..
Awesome post... but I'm still unsure about Muk's viability. While it can beat some very very specific sets, almost every viable Pokemon can beat it. At the same time, Muk could possibly run some varying sets that run stat boosting moves... so maybe Muk could go into testing. Muk does carry a unique typing and moveset combination, so I'd be interested to see what people can make it do. Muk for testing

Also, I'd like to propose a few extra things in 1v1 that could allow the metagame to become a lot more creative in both teambuilding and battling. Mawile-Mega, Salamence-Mega, and others have, through huge power and overall advantage, prevented a huge portion of Pokemon, particularly those not capable of beating mega boosted Pokemon, from being any bit viable. I'd like to suggest some sort of limitation to the All Powerful Mega Evolutions such as a 1 or 2 Mega Pokemon limit per team. With a limitation such as this, everyone will have the advantage of not having to prepare for as many of the mega power houses, such as Mawile-Mega, Salamence-Mega, both Charizard-Megas, Gyarados-Mega, as well as countless more.

Hello everyone, I've noticed some Pokemon are missing from the viability rankings. For one, I haven't used this one personally, but I feel that Haxorus deserves a spot somewhere. Thoughts from someone who has used it more? Also, how about Darmanitan/Emboar? Avalugg?
I believe Darmanitan and Emboar do deserve viability rankings. I believe Darmanitan, Emboar and Haxorus can go to D (maybe C) rank, and Avalugg is already C rank. I also think that Victini isn't much of a threat to most of the meta and would fit better in C rank.

Finally, I'd also like to:
Promote Magikarp to S rank.
Unban Kangaskhan-Mega but only let it run Fake Out.
Ask about your thoughts about Snorlax to B rank. (post above somewhere)

Edit: Posting about the Mega limitation thing in normal 1v1 thread too.
Like this comment if you like the possibility Mega Limitation.
Like this comment if you like my new signature.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)