1v1 Resources Thread

Mega-Slowbro can't really do much to mega-sableye. A face on attack is "0 SpA Mega Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 72-85 (23.6 - 27.9%) -- 87.4% chance to 4HKO" meaning a critical hit won't ohko, and probably won't do enough damage for a regular attack after all the modifiers from calm mind and snarl to 2OHKO. Meanwhile, Scald has a 30% chance to burn, while Will-o-wisp has an 85% chance, which should mean, that Slowbro is being widdled down first. Anyhow, Mega-sableye won't have to recover nearly as much as Mega-slowbro because mega-slowbro's attacks are getting weakened by Snarl, which also gets buffed by calm mind and has the luxury of being super effective. My experience usually has Mega-Sableye coming out on top of Mega-Slowbro.
Although burn could really hurt sableye and it just can't spam snarl forever. Slowbro just has to spam calm mind until snarl misses, and the special defence rises in the prosses. Not to mention it has shell armor so it cant get struck by a critical hit.

Mega-Slowbro can't really do much to mega-sableye. A face on attack is "0 SpA Mega Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 72-85 (23.6 - 27.9%) -- 87.4% chance to 4HKO" meaning a critical hit won't ohko, and probably won't do enough damage for a regular attack after all the modifiers from calm mind and snarl to 2OHKO. Meanwhile, Scald has a 30% chance to burn, while Will-o-wisp has an 85% chance, which should mean, that Slowbro is being widdled down first. Anyhow, Mega-sableye won't have to recover nearly as much as Mega-slowbro because mega-slowbro's attacks are getting weakened by Snarl, which also gets buffed by calm mind and has the luxury of being super effective. My experience usually has Mega-Sableye coming out on top of Mega-Slowbro.
Sable also can't do much to Mega Bro, because of Snarl's low Base Power, in fact even less than Scald: +6 0 SpA Mega Sableye Snarl vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Slowbro: 86-104 (21.8 - 26.3%) -- 11% chance to 4HKO. Also, eventually I will burn the Sableye, and proceed to Rest off the burn from will-o-wisp. In addition to that, Calm Mind has more PP than Snarl, so the Bro can also stall you out of Attacks. Lastly, critical hits only ignore the opponent's stat modifiers, positive or negative, so the calc shows that Scald will ohko. +6 0 SpA Mega Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye on a critical hit: 424-499 (139.4 - 164.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO.

lost heros

Meme Master
I suppose both of you are right. Personally, I've never lost with Sableye in that match up, but it might just have been the move sets people used on their Slowbro. Nonetheless, I've removed it from the "things it beats"

Hi, I've been out doing school work for a while, but now that stuff is calming down at least somewhat I'm going to go back into helping out with rankings... I'm thinking about Manaphy to A rank. Why? Because it's far more than adaptable to the metagame. with 100/100/100 defenses, 100 speed, and 100/100 offenses it's capable of dealing decently in any form of play. However, when you throw in a one move 2.5 boost to it's special attack, stab scald + hyper beam coverage, and the ability to Endure and custap berry for a win, Manaphy is capable of ripping the meta apart. I might continue this post later, and hello to all : )
dont even mention my troll acid armor set
Also, I have a challenge for you all my friends... name the top 10 most broken pokemon in 1v1 : )

Did you know that Tangela bulks Ho-oh's Banded Adamant 252 Atk Brave Bird 81.4% - 97%?

Last edited:

MaNamez

Banned deucer.
I think Durant should be in these rankings, in my opinion A+

example set:
Code:
Durant @ Choice Band 
Ability: Hustle 
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- X-Scissor 
- Iron Head 
- Crunch 
- Stone Edge
Pros:
-Durant can kill many Pokémon in S and S+ rank in 1 hit, with the exception of
Mawile (Intimidate),
Gyarados (Intimidate and Yes/No mega mindgames)
and Chansey (around 80% damage, with super power it's a KO)
-Durant outspeeds every single Pokémon in S and S+

Cons:
-Durant tends to miss (feint attack doesn't)
-Durant has more usable moves than moveslots

Checks and counters:
Durant doesn't like facing:
- Special scarf
- Talonflame
- Bulky fire type hits
- Sturdy+custap berry things

The only thing I'm scared of in B and above is mega aggron, Aegislash, Magnezone and special greninja

lost heros

Meme Master
I think Durant should be in these rankings, in my opinion A+

example set:
Code:
Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
Pros:
-Durant can kill many Pokémon in S and S+ rank in 1 hit, with the exception of
Mawile (Intimidate),
Gyarados (Intimidate and Yes/No mega mindgames)
and Chansey (around 80% damage, with super power it's a KO)
-Durant outspeeds every single Pokémon in S and S+

Cons:
-Durant tends to miss (feint attack doesn't)
-Durant has more usable moves than moveslots

Checks and counters:
Durant doesn't like facing:
- Special scarf
- Talonflame
- Bulky fire type hits
- Sturdy+custap berry things

The only thing I'm scared of in B and above is mega aggron, Aegislash, Magnezone and special greninja
I don't know if you can really consider it A+ rank. Firsty, scarf Porygon-z hyperbeam kills and is faster.
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Durant: 298-351 (115.9 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also, your Durant must be carrying superpower or it won't kill chansey.
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 688-810 (97.7 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Not to mention it handles Charizards and Gyarados non-mega'd with Stone edge, which combined with hustle, it has a 64% accuracy. Less than the infamous focus miss. It also leaves the rest of your moves at 80% accuracy.
Dragonite's multiscale + fire punch, although a strange type coverage, easily handles durant as well.
Will-o-wisp will also beat Durant. Disable alakazam also will beat it.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Chansey ->B- Rank

chansey.gif

Now that the fatal blow of the illegality of Charm + Seismic Toss has been put into effect, Chansey can't really do much of anything anymore, beyond Toxic/PP stalling, or Thunder Wave + Serene Grace shenanigans like with Togekiss and Jirachi, the difference with this one being that it can't really damage to save its life.

I took a good long while looking through this thing's moveset in search of something it could use in place of either Charm or Seismic Toss, and ultimately wound up using moves like Defense Curl and Mud-Slap/Flash to make up for the loss of Charm, or Counter, Headbutt, or Echoed Voice to make up for Seismic Toss.

None of these moves are really good enough to make Chansey generally capable enough to handle all the things it used to be able to, without being almost 100% destroyed by Substitute, so I personally think it should be removed from the viability rank that all of the centralized forces of 1v1 reside in.

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
Chansey ->B- Rank

View attachment 63807

Now that the fatal blow of the illegality of Charm + Seismic Toss has been put into effect, Chansey can't really do much of anything anymore, beyond Toxic/PP stalling, or Thunder Wave + Serene Grace shenanigans like with Togekiss and Jirachi, the difference with this one being that it can't really damage to save its life.

I took a good long while looking through this thing's moveset in search of something it could use in place of either Charm or Seismic Toss, and ultimately wound up using moves like Defense Curl and Mud-Slap/Flash to make up for the loss of Charm, or Counter, Headbutt, or Echoed Voice to make up for Seismic Toss.

None of these moves are really good enough to make Chansey generally capable enough to handle all the things it used to be able to, without being almost 100% destroyed by Substitute, so I personally think it should be removed from the viability rank that all of the centralized forces of 1v1 reside in.
Not that I would mind seeing less of Chansey in 1v1 due to the effect this thread has on the meta, but the standard Toxic / Seismic Toss / Counter / Soft Boiled set is what made Chansey top tier, it's an amazing and very strong and versatile set that shouldn't be underestimated. Chansey is one of the best pokes, if not the best poke to use Counter, and thus a threat to a huge portion of physical attackers, while its massive HP and decent special defense stats lets it wall and whittle down a great portion of special attackers. I don't support a lowering of its rank and if it should have its rank lowered anyway it should be to A+ at lowest.

lost heros

Meme Master
While I do agree Chansey needs to drop from its place as the God of defense in S+, I think all the way down to B- is very harsh. Losing charm + seismic toss is a pretty bad, however it can attempt to replace either with growl or headbutt respectively. I think this still allows it check most of the offensive threats it used to, while losing against other stall Pokemon it really didn't have a good match-up against to begin with.

Let's do some calcs:
Against Scarf Kyurem
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 318-375 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 211-250 (29.9 - 35.5%) -- 28.6% chance to 3HKO
Conclusion: Thunder wave, growl, soft boiled still wins.

It still loses to powerful physical attackers (mega-mawile), sub users (mega-charizard X). But it just decimates all special attackers and can handle many physical attackers.

I suggest A rank

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Goodbye Chansey!
Moved Chansey from S+ to A- for the time being.

Discuss:
Chansey A- ~> A
Mega Mawile S ~> S+
Porygon2 A- ~> A

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
With Chansey's lack of SeismiCharm causing its usage to decline, we have a promising new threat to almost all the S-ranks!
empoleon.gif

Empoleon Unranked--> B/B+ rank

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Hydro Cannon
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam/Alternative 4th coverage move

With this setup of moves, Empoleon singlehandedly takes on Scarf Kyurem, Mawile, Porygon-Z, Charizard-X lacking Substitute, Gyarados-Mega though Grass Knot is a 56.3% chance of OHKO vs uninvested Mega Gyarados, Greninja, Slowbro-Mega, Pinsir-Mega, Rhyperior, Whimsicott, Gardevoir-Mega, Togekiss, and a wide variety of other Pokemon in lower tiers as well!

I personally haven't tried it out much myself, and I'm not aware as to who got the trend started, but after doing my research, I was surprised at how much of the meta this bird actually took on. I strongly believe that this thing will soon become yet another of the defining Steel types of the meta, not quite as universal as Mawile or Metagross, but still very generally capable as a whole.

I don't know if you can really consider it A+ rank. Firsty, scarf Porygon-z hyperbeam kills and is faster.
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Durant: 298-351 (115.9 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also, your Durant must be carrying superpower or it won't kill chansey.
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 688-810 (97.7 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Not to mention it handles Charizards and Gyarados non-mega'd with Stone edge, which combined with hustle, it has a 64% accuracy. Less than the infamous focus miss. It also leaves the rest of your moves at 80% accuracy.
Dragonite's multiscale + fire punch, although a strange type coverage, easily handles durant as well.
Will-o-wisp will also beat Durant. Disable alakazam also will beat it.
growl? you mean charm, it lowers the attack by 2.

Illusio

Bold and Brash

Weavile from Unranked to B-

Weavile @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash / Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab / Fake Out​

Despite glass cannons generally not faring so well in 1v1, Weavile holds enough of a niche that it can be used effectively to defeat certain threats. With its 120 attack and 125 speed, it can outspeed a large majority of the non-scarfed meta and hit hard. However, its weak 70/65/75 bulk holds it back from beating Pokemon faster than it. Both of Weavile's abilities are useless, but Pressure is slightly better than Pickpocket. The EVs max out Weavile's attack and speed, while the Jolly nature increases its speed. Knock Off and Icicle Crash are great STAB moves for Weavile, but if you find Icicle Crash misses too much, then you can run Ice Punch. Low Kick and Poison Jab are both strong coverage moves, although Fake Out can be used in replace of Poison Jab in order to break Sturdy. As for the item, Choice Band allows for Weavile to hit even harder than it already does, but if you're running Fake Out, Life Orb is obviously the better choice.

Non-scarfed Kyurem-Black, Mega Gyarados, Dragonite, Greninja, Meloetta, Deoxys-Defense, Non-scarfed Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, Whimsicott (if Poison Jab or Ice Punch), Mega Gardevoir, Togekiss, Golem (if Fake Out), Magnezone (if Fake Out), Mega Altaria, Mega Ampharos, Heatran, Jirachi, Landorus, Smeargle, Archeops, Hoopa-Unbound, Latios, Manaphy, Mew, Sylveon, Mega Tyranitar, Non-scarfed Victini, FEAR (if Fake Out)

Mega Charizard X and Y, Scarfed Kyurem-Black, Mega Mawile, Porygon-Z, Mega Slowbro, scarfed Garchomp, Rhyperior, Chansey, Mega Metagross, Porygon2, Aegislash, Mega Aggron, Mega Blastoise, Crustle, Volcanion, Diancie, Genesect, Mega Lucario, Mega Venusaur, Cloyster, Conkeldurr, Mega Diancie, Entei, Mega Heracross, Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sableye, Swampert, Scarfed Victini

From this list above, it beats just as much threats in S/A/B as it loses to, which is why I think B- would be a suitable place for Weavile in the 1v1 viability rankings.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.

Weavile from Unranked to B-

Weavile @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash / Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab / Fake Out​

Despite glass cannons generally not faring so well in 1v1, Weavile holds enough of a niche that it can be used effectively to defeat certain threats. With its 120 attack and 125 speed, it can outspeed a large majority of the non-scarfed meta and hit hard. However, its weak 70/65/75 bulk holds it back from beating Pokemon faster than it. Both of Weavile's abilities are useless, but Pressure is slightly better than Pickpocket. The EVs max out Weavile's attack and speed, while the Jolly nature increases its speed. Knock Off and Icicle Crash are great STAB moves for Weavile, but if you find Icicle Crash misses too much, then you can run Ice Punch. Low Kick and Poison Jab are both strong coverage moves, although Fake Out can be used in replace of Poison Jab in order to break Sturdy. As for the item, Choice Band allows for Weavile to hit even harder than it already does, but if you're running Fake Out, Life Orb is obviously the better choice.

Non-scarfed Kyurem-Black, Mega Gyarados, Dragonite, Greninja, Meloetta, Deoxys-Defense, Non-scarfed Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, Whimsicott (if Poison Jab or Ice Punch), Mega Gardevoir, Togekiss, Golem (if Fake Out), Magnezone (if Fake Out), Mega Altaria, Mega Ampharos, Heatran, Jirachi, Landorus, Smeargle, Archeops, Hoopa-Unbound, Latios, Manaphy, Mew, Sylveon, Mega Tyranitar, Non-scarfed Victini, FEAR (if Fake Out)

Mega Charizard X and Y, Scarfed Kyurem-Black, Mega Mawile, Porygon-Z, Mega Slowbro, scarfed Garchomp, Rhyperior, Chansey, Mega Metagross, Porygon2, Aegislash, Mega Aggron, Mega Blastoise, Crustle, Volcanion, Diancie, Genesect, Mega Lucario, Mega Venusaur, Cloyster, Conkeldurr, Mega Diancie, Entei, Mega Heracross, Keldeo, Mega Lopunny, Mega Sableye, Swampert, Scarfed Victini

From this list above, it beats just as much threats in S/A/B as it loses to, which is why I think B- would be a suitable place for Weavile in the 1v1 viability rankings.
The main thing with viability in 1v1 is that the pokemon in question has alternative sets and strategies that it can work with. Weavile, unfortunately, lacks sets other than being a speedy physically offensive pokemon. While it does indeed take on a relatively wide variety of common pokemon, so do many others, if you train them to. A viable 1v1 pokemon has to be something you can use for the sake of it just being good, rather than using it to take on a select few pokemon in particular, hence why a lot of the pokemon that take on many S/A rank pokemon are in lower viability ranks, since they don't fare very well against much else, and are even only acknowledged in the rankings for their specific niche of being "anti-meta".

All things considered, Weavile definitely serves the anti-meta niche very well, even being capable of taking down both charizards with the combination of fake out, substitute, and giga impact, in addition to all the other things you've listed it beating.
In my personal opinion, I'd like to see Weavile have a ranking at least, just not a high one for the time being.
Weavile-->C rank

ryyjyywyy

Banned deucer.
Hi, i would like to recommend my boy jumpluff for either a-, a, or a+ spot. It basically does what whimiscott does but better since it can put most things slower than it to sleep with sleep powder, a pretty reliable move especially with wide lens, and since it has such a high speed stat it doesnt matter as much that it doesnt have prankster to back it up with its high speed stat, reliable sub and protect, w/ leech seed and sleep powder, it destroys many things that whimsicott cannot beat, while only losing to a select few that whimsicott can beat, such as stone edge garchomp, non specs kyurem black, or scarf porygonz. Jumpluff's low hp stat also helps it a lot too in the same way as whimsicott for more leech seed health. Also, even tho jumpluff doesnt have taunt for things like stall, it does get moves like encore and (in some cases) infestation that can really harm stall and make it much easier to beat. Jumpluff also beats most all pokemon in the S and A rank categories, while beating some of those pokes that whimsicott doesnt, such as charizard y, and in many cases, charizard x. It also has the potential to beat mega gardevoir and sylveon if played right with sleep powder and protect (goes for most charizard Xs too), which whimsicott loses to all of them, not to mention mawile if the whimsi isnt running babiri berry. So the main thing is, jumpluff beats a lot more than whimiscott, can beat some things whimsicott cant while not losing to as many as whimsicott does, and overall imo has more potential than whimsicott does. Jumpluff can beat mostly anything whimsicott can beat and more since it is not weak to 1 shot moves from pokemon slower than it due to sleep powder. (sorry if there is any bad grammar or anything its late)

list of common mons jumpluff can beat that whimsicott cant/cant always beat: heatran, mawile, metagross(max speed is probably a 50/50 if it has ice punch), charizard Y, char x, aegislash, lucario, magnezone, entei, landorous(sludge wave) (mostly anything slower than it that can OHKO whimsi, which is a good amount)

list of common mons that whimsicott beats that jumpluff cant: scarf porygonz, scarf garchomp (with stone edge), scarf-physical kyurem black, (maybe a couple others, but ones that i didnt find important enough to be mentioned if so)

I think that jumpluff is much better than whimsicott for these reasons with the main and usually only downside compared to whimsicott is it missing sleep powder, which almost never happens especially with wide lens. | side note: Jumpluff also gets infiltrator which can break through substitutes while whimsicott cant, giving it even more power.

Preferred set: Nature: timid; EVs: 252 defense, 252 speed; moveset: leech seed, protect, substitute, sleeppowder; item: wide lens; ability: infiltrator.

Last edited:

dom

Banned deucer.
jumpluff is good
yeah i totally support it going somewhere to a. jumpluff is legit flames, especially with flash over protect. i got up to the 1500s pretty easily, and it's insane how much people try to counterteam it with random scarfers. it's way better than whims because it doesn't have to live a hit imo.

only problems are random scarfers other grass types, and of course faster mons, but this thing is still such a beast.

Last edited:

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everybody! This thread will now be transformed into 1v1 resources, if you don't know what that means read the OP.
The Official Glyx and I have revamped the Viability Rankings and here's what we changed. More stuff such as set compendium should be added by the end of next week :)!

Code:
Kyub: S+ to S
Mega Gyarados: S to S+
Mega Charizard Y: S to S+
Deoxys-Defense: A to A+
Greninja: A to S-
Porygon2: A- to B+
Mega Aggron: B+ to A-
Mega Altaria: B to B+
Heatran: B to B+
Smeargle: B to C+
Conkeldurr: B to C
Ente:i B- to C+
Mega Lopunny: B- to B
Manaphy: B- to B+
Mew: B to C+
Sylveon: B to B+
Swampert: B to C+
Mega Tyranitar: B- to B
Hitmonlee: C+ to B-
Sawk: C+ to B-
Mega Swampert: C+ to B
Mega Alakazam: C to C+
Mega Bannette: C to C+
Shuckle: C to Unranked
Azumarill: C- to C
Mega Gengar: C- to C
Riolu: C- to Unranked
Mega Scizor: C- to C
Skarmory: C- to C+
Terrakion: C- to C
Thundurus: C- to B
Wobbuffet: C- to Unranked
Aerodactyl to C-

Removed the D rank.
READ:
Also I'm reviving the Mini-Analysis posts, please can we get all the ranked Pokemon have a Mini-Analysis, starting with S and A Pokemon since they are mostly defining, to see how to write an analysis check a Pokemon that already has one.
I'm also accepting sample teams for all 1v1 metagames if you have, and you can discuss rank changes.

*If you wish to contribute for other resources shout me a PM.

Happy to see some recognition for my love Mega Tyranitar, and glad to see this thread active again, but why was D Rank removed? I see no reason to completely exclude Pokemon with a specific niche. They can often be incredibly fun and occasionally even the perfect fit for a given team.

I would love to contribute to other resources, by the way.

Reactions: DEG

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Happy to see some recognition for my love Mega Tyranitar, and glad to see this thread active again, but why was D Rank removed? I see no reason to completely exclude Pokemon with a specific niche. They can often be incredibly fun and occasionally even the perfect fit for a given team.
I wasn't hype about the removal of D ranks either, but a good 2/3 of them were kinda forgettable anyways.
And we all know nobody can stop a loose cannon DEG when he's in the moment :^)

Reactions: DEG
1v1 Speed Tiers
One very important but often overlooked component of 1v1 is getting the right speed EVs on your pokemon so they outspeed certain common threats, which can be the difference between getting off two hits and winning and getting off one hit and losing.
20: Bulky Ferrothorn
76: Bulky Sableye-Mega
86: Bulky Slowbro-Mega
94: Bulky Aggron-Mega
96: Bulky Slowbro-Mega
126: Bulky Golem
136: Bulky Aggron-Mega
136: Bulky Azumarill
136: Bulky Chansey
136: Bulky Mawile-Mega
136: Bulky Pre-Mega Diancie
136: Bulky Pre-Mega Sableye
140: Bulky Aegislash
146: Bulky Machamp
156: Bulky Aegislash
166: Bulky Magnezone
166: Bulky Sylveon
166: Bulky Pre-Mega Scizor
176: Bulky Volcanion
176: Bulky Pre-Mega Metagross
186: Bulky Heracross-Mega
186: Bulky Scizor-Mega
186: Fast Golem
190: Bulky Blastoise-Mega
190: Bulky Heatran
196: Bulky Dragonite
196: Bulky Togekiss
196: Bulky Venusaur-Mega
198: Bulky Magnezone
206: Bulky Pre-Mega Heracross
216: Bulky Deoxys-Defense
216: Bulky Meloetta
218: Fast Pre-Mega Diancie
220: Bulky Gyarados-Mega
237: Bulky Manaphy
244: Bulky Gliscor
256: Bulky Diancie-Mega
256: Bulky Metagross-Mega
259: Fast Dragonite
259: Fast Togekiss
259: Fast Gardevoir
261: Fast Gyarados-Mega
262: Fast Breloom
262: Fast Metagross
268: Bulky Whimsicott
269: Fast Sawk
273: Fast Smeargle
278: Fast Heatran
279: Fast Porygon-Z
284: Fast Togekiss
284: Fast Pre-Mega Gallade
284: Fast Pre-Mega Gardevoir
284: Fast Pre-Mega Medicham
289: Bulky Talonflame
289: Fast Kyurem-Black
295: Fast Pre-Mega Pinsir
297: Fast Genesect
299: Fast Charizard-Mega-X
299: Fast Gardevoir-Mega
306: Fast Deoxys-Defense
306: Fast Meloetta
306: Fast Porygon-Z
306: Fast Pre-Mega Lucario
317: Fast Kyurem-Black
326: Fast Genesect
328: Fast Charizard-Mega-X
328: Fast Charizard-Mega-Y
328: Fast Gardevoir-Mega
328: Fast Jirachi
328: Fast Medicham-Mega
328: Fast Victini
333: Fast Garchomp
339: Fast Pinsir-Mega
339: Fast Pre-Mega Lopunny
343: Fast Greninja
350: Fast Diancie-Mega
350: Fast Gallade-Mega
350: Fast Metagross-Mega
350: Fast Pre-Mega Gengar
351: Fast Talonflame
355: Fast Lucario-Mega
377: Fast Greninja
383: Fast Pre-Mega Alakazam
386: Fast Talonflame
388: +1 Dragon Dance Dragonite
388: Scarf Togekiss
391: +1 Dragon Dance Gyarados-Mega
394: Fast Gengar-Mega
403: Scarf Sawk
405: Fast Lopunny-Mega
417: Scarf Heatran
418: Scarf Porygon-Z
426: Scarf Togekiss
433: Scarf Kyurem-Black
438: Fast Alakazam-Mega
445: Scarf Genesect
448: +1 Dragon Dance Charizard-Mega-X
459: Scarf Deoxys-Defense
459: Scarf Porygon-Z
475: Scarf Kyurem-Black
489: Scarf Genesect
492: +1 Dragon Dance Charizard-Mega-X
492: Scarf Jirachi
492: Scarf Victini
499: Scarf Garchomp
514: Scarf Greninja
565: Scarf Greninja

How this list is sorted:
- Top 50 pokemon on the 1500 usage stats are used.
- Spreads and Choice Scarf items used at least 6% of the time are taken into account for.
- Boosting moves, Pre-mega speed stats, and Choice Scarves are accounted for separately.
- Since IVs are not implemented into the usage stats, 0 Spe IVs were done manually, and even then, only on standard sets.
- Since this list uses usage stats, it gives a far more accurate representation of what to prepare for on the ladder rather than a tournament, including the most common speed creeps.
- The same pokemon was not included twice if it had two spreads within +-10 of eachother. For example, if there were a pokemon with 206 Spe on one spread and 207 Spe on a less popular one, the 206 Spe one was used in this.

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
Gyarados-Mega Analysis

General Info: Gyarados-Mega is a force to be reckoned with in the 1v1 meta. It has few checks, and even fewer dedicated counters. With strong abilities, typings, a great moveset, and great stats, Gyarados-Mega shines as powerful physical threat.

Move analysis: Gyarados-Mega has a large movepool, and is very adaptable to the current ladder as needed. Dragon Dance is a staple for Gyarados-Mega allowing it to overcome its mediocre speed tier and boost its attack to ungodly levels. Waterfall and Crunch are used as primary STAB attacks with rare but useful secondary effects. Outrage is a strong attack that has great coverage against Mega Charizard X and Dragonite. Taunt can be used to stop stall Pokemon like Chansey, Sableye-Mega, Deoxys-D, and Whimiscott, assuming they don't Taunt you first. Earthquake can be used as coverage against Mawile-Mega. Other notable moves that can be used: Ice Fang, Substitute, and Stone Edge.

Ability analysis: Gyarados-Mega is blessed with not only one, but two useful abilities that can be used in one battle. Intimidate can lower the attacks of opposing physical attackers like Mega Charizard-X and Mawile-Mega, without the waste of a move slot. Moldbreaker can break through defensive abilities like Sturdy and Multiscale.

Mega Analysis: When mega evolving Gyarados trades in its secondary flying typing for a secondary dark typing. Water/Flying allows for normal Gyarados to minimize damaging fairy, fighting, and grass type attacks while setting up to kill the opposing Pokemon when it mega-evolves. This gives Gyarados-Mega a functional base and Mega form, a trait rarely found in the 1v1 metagame.

Nature and Spreads: Most Gyarados-Mega utilize an Adamant nature and 252 attack to maximize its damage output. A speed benchmark of 88 from neutral nature is also popular as a way to ensure that after one dragon dance Gyarados-Mega outspeeds all fully invested, beneficial nature, non-boosted, base 100 Pokemon. Most Gyarados-Mega also invest in HP and Defense in an attempt to boost its mediocre Defense and HP stats. However, Gyarados-Mega has a great distribution of stats and can be tailored to beat a many deal of Pokemon.

Example Set

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Def / 88 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Crunch/Outrage

- Earthquake/Taunt/Outrage

Threats to Gyarados-Mega

Attack lowering moves and burns: Moves that lower the Gyarados-mega’s attack like Charm and the burn status condition can really pose a problem as it can really hamper Gyarados-Mega’s ability to set up, while the opponent whittles down its health. Carrying taunt can lower this weakness.

Notable users:

Fairy type pokemon: Fairy type pokemon are usually very strong and have high win rates against Gyarados-mega due to their ability to OHKO Gyarados-Mega when it mega evolves. Investing in Sp. Def and HP and not mega-evolving can close up this weakness.

Notable users:

Checks (Pokemon that have a good match-up with the right set for them or the wrong set for Gyarados-mega):

Mawile-Mega: The most common check to Gyarados-Mega. It can be beaten with Earthquake as well as not mega-evolving until within range of killing.

Choice Band Kyurem-B: The Choice Band variant, and the choice band variant only, will be able to OHKO Gyarados-Mega with Fusion Bolt, normally. It can be beaten with a max invested HP, Impish Nature 120 Def, 80 Atk, and 56 Spe, and Dragon Dance, and Outrage.

Counters (Pokemon that have great win rates against Gyarados-Mega despite attempts to accommodate it)

Gardevoir-Mega: Gardevoir-Mega is able to trace back intimidate to Gyarados pre-mega, and then OHKO it with pixilate STAB Hyper beam when it mega-evolves even when Gyarados is in its pre-mega form. Gardevoir-mega can also 2OHKO Gyarados-Mega with Hyper Voice if the Gyarados-Mega invests in enough HP and Sp. Def to survive a single Hyper Beam to allow it to Double Dragon Dance, Mega-Evolve, and OHKO with Crunch (Sacrificing the speed necessary to outspeed Gardevoir-Mega even after +1).

Choice Specs Porygon Z: A Modest Hyper beam shreds through Gyarados-Mega almost always.
The only way to guarantee win Is to invest fully in Sp. Def with Careful Nature and 248 HP, survive the hyper beam turn 1, Double Dragon Dance, and then OHKO (252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Mega Gyarados: 332-392 (84.2 - 99.4% -- guaranteed 2HKO +2 8 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 339-400 (109 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

Potential Teammates:

Mawile-mega: Without proper coverage for Mawile-Mega’s and Sableye-Mega’s and other defensive pokemon, a custom Mawile-Mega of your own can provide great support for Gyarados-Mega.

Aegislash: Weakness Policy Aegislash is a great teammate that is able to really counter Gyarados-Mega’s own counters and stand up to other pokemon.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
http://pastebin.com/B70y36q6

This is a fairly simple team, which is more of a defensive team which deals with the counters/checks to specially defensive metal burst Sableye, which is a monster btw. Sableye itself tanks hits from many insanely powerful specially offensive mons and physically offensive mons. The investment in attack means after a metal burst against scarf Kyurem b it can kill it with sucker punch. It also 2hkoes meloetta with sucker punch, as well as taking specs greninjas hydro cannons like there is no tommorow. Defensive will-o-wisp charizard X is an incredible mon and it beats so many things which a normal Charizard set wouldn't, eg mega gyarados, even those with outrage, while still maintaining the stall breaking capabilities of a normal zard x set with dd, and with willo it has the bulk to set up multiple ddances. Finally we have air BALOON Heatran with enough speed to OUTSPEED Max speed base 100 mons after a rock tomb, and therefore counter choice band Kyub very nicely, as rock tomb+ flash cannon kills if it has no investment in hp, and if it has hp investment you can outspeed and 2hko. This is more a of a glue mon, as it beats mons which beat the the other two mons, like Togekiss and banded KYUB.

So yeah that's the team enjoy.

DEG

The night belongs to you
Hello, I'd like to inform you that some users (DoW, The Official Glyx, aesf, Ransei) and I have put up together a set Viability Rankings for each Pokemon which can be found on post #5. I also want to bring some activity back to the thread by sparking some discussion:

What do you think of these nominations?

Greninja from S- to A+
Meloetta from A+ to S-
Mega Slowbro from A+ to S-
Chansey A- to A

Also I'd like that everyone participate in forming a great resources thread in this end of Gen 6 so if you want to write analysis please do, no need to reserve but if you want to reserve go on. The analysis should follow this style. Thanks lost heros!

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
I know this doesn't relate to the above post from esteemed cutiepie DEG, but this set actually interested me

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 156 Def / 128 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Beam
- Uproar
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

I know this is an odd as heck spread, but hear me out. Since 1v1 is a simple matter of matchup, it doesn't really need maximum speed for anything other than other Scarf users of same or similar speed; this speed is the bare minimum necessary to outspeed max speed Lopunny-Mega. As for its SpA, it doesn't really need that much since Hyper Nuke crushes just about everything, so I chopped off a big chunk of it to give it the bare minimum bulk evs necessary to withstand a Kyurem-Black without boosting nature Outrage, while also keeping enough SpA to safely OHKO a non-bulky Charizard-Y. Unfortunately, in being a Modest Scarf, it loses to Alakazam and (maybe?) Scarf Deoxys-Defense, but all Modest Scarves lose to those anyways, so this set really does nothing but improve something that already tears apart the 1v1 meta by getting rid of one of its most common checks A.K.A Scarf Kyurem.

As for moves, I just threw on the essentials, and figured that Thunderbolt would be good to have for Greninja in case it tries to be Sneaky.

BLESS Porygon-Z

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)