1v1 - The Old Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
I tried out Golem-Alola, it's a good Pokemon.
This was the set I tried out:
Golem-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Stone Edge
- Counter
- Earthquake
I want to compare Golem-Alola to Normal Golem.

Golem-Alola doesn't get Sucker Punch and loses STAB Earthquake, but also gets a STAB Thunder Punch, and a potential Galvanize Set. I'm inclined to believe that Golem is better than Golem-Alola, aside from a few small niches.

1. Golem-Alola doesn't have as large of a water or grass weakness.
2. Golem-Alola has a stronger STAB move on Galvanize sets than normal Golem does get. (Double Edge or Return)
3. Golem-Alola can beat Gyarados-Mega with either set assuming it runs the 32 HP. (w/ Waterfall, not EQ)
4. Golem-Alola really does perform the Sturdy/Counter just as well...

How does this actually work in play, why would I ever run Galvanize?

252+ Atk Choice Band Galvanize Golem-Alola Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 290-344 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Surf vs. 32 HP / 224 SpD Golem-Alola: 258-306 (83.4 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Galvanize Golem-Alola Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 602-710 (151.2 - 178.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Well, it can answer other things... I'm inclined to believe Golem-Alola has at least some niche in the format as it can do a lot of things Golem can do. I like this Pokemon in probably C rank, I definitely think it deserves a chance because it's more versatile than Golem.

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Does Staraptor not deserve any spot on the VR?

Yeah, Staraptor is far from perfect and can be walled by various mons, like Aegislash, Magearna or some other Pokemon but the reality is that it has a niche and a very solid one that can support various teams. It's has the most powerful flying damage in the game outside of maybe Mega Pinsir which is unable to run scarf or take out pokemon like Tapu Koko running Scarf + Adamant.

I want to suggest Staraptor for C- rank, it's a very solid pokemon that can run Scarf or Band to get rid of various threats in the meta. I do think it's very flawed and not a perfect pokemon. Staraptor has many flaws that are difficult to ignore such as that it's frail and even more likely to die due to the movepool that it's forced to run with two recoil moves and close combat.

Double Edge / Brave Bird / Close Combat are the 3 moves it really needs, but what about a 4th move?
Honestly the best choice might be Facade because Giga Impact's 90% accuracy makes slightly improving the rolls pretty pointless, but no fourth move will really be useful, maybe Fury Attack for pesky level one Pokemon lol, maybe even Sleep Talk on Choice banded sets.
Also been looking at Alola Golem after I realized it could OHKO Mega Gyarados and actually tank a waterfall, but that ill look into later.
I've used Staraptor a little bit after seeing your post. It's definitely not good, but deserves a spot on the VR. C- or D would be good. If running Scarf, your last move should go to Heat Wave to beat Durant and Kartana.

I tried out Golem-Alola, it's a good Pokemon.
This was the set I tried out:
Golem-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Stone Edge
- Counter
- Earthquake
I want to compare Golem-Alola to Normal Golem.

Golem-Alola doesn't get Sucker Punch and loses STAB Earthquake, but also gets a STAB Thunder Punch, and a potential Galvanize Set. I'm inclined to believe that Golem is better than Golem-Alola, aside from a few small niches.

1. Golem-Alola doesn't have as large of a water or grass weakness.
2. Golem-Alola has a stronger STAB move on Galvanize sets than normal Golem does get. (Double Edge or Return)
3. Golem-Alola can beat Gyarados-Mega with either set assuming it runs the 32 HP.
4. Golem-Alola really does perform the Sturdy/Counter just as well...

How does this actually work in play, why would I ever run Galvanize?

252+ Atk Choice Band Galvanize Golem-Alola Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 290-344 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Surf vs. 32 HP / 224 SpD Golem-Alola: 258-306 (83.4 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Galvanize Golem-Alola Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 602-710 (151.2 - 178.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Well, it can answer other things... I'm inclined to believe Golem-Alola has at least some niche in the format as it can do a lot of things Golem can do. I like this Pokemon in probably B rank, I definitely think it deserves a chance because it's more versatile than Golem.
I think Alolan Golem could find a place in D. The Sturdy set can beat literally no pokemon that regular Golem can't (unboosted Electric stab is weak as balls). The Galvanize set is what I feel gives it a small niche. Even then, you're not countering Gyarados:
Earthquake 30.061%
That being said, a banded Galvanize set definitely looks viable as supported by your calcs.

Last edited:

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Unranked to A+

With Marshadow not being banned I guess its time to give it a rank. A+ suits Marshadow the best as it is a force in the metagame. It has some viable sets and can take on a good portion of the metagame. It performs great against a big part of the metagame but it falls against the other. Its typing in Ghost/Fighting gives it a great offensive and defensive typing. It's also fast and has great attacking stats giving it an easier time handling other threats. Pretty much everyone knows what Marshadow can do and that's why it deserves A+ rank.

Unranked to A+

With Marshadow not being banned I guess its time to give it a rank. A+ suits Marshadow the best as it is a force in the metagame. It has some viable sets and can take on a good portion of the metagame. It performs great against a big part of the metagame but it falls against the other. Its typing in Ghost/Fighting gives it a great offensive and defensive typing. It's also fast and has great attacking stats giving it an easier time handling other threats. Pretty much everyone knows what Marshadow can do and that's why it deserves A+ rank.

Hi, this is your favorite Wrath of Alakazam, back with another post!

Marshadow has just been promoted to A+ in the VRs, and for good measure, we all know what is capable of doing! But, I ask, isn't A+ low for Marshadow?

Offense point of view: It has a decent 125Atk stat which, considering it's typing, is not bad at all, given its access to moves like close combat, spectral thief, Will-o-wisp, bulk up amongst others. This helps it decimating most of the Pokemon, both viable and unviable ones, while leaving it with a very limited pooltof reliable counters based on its typing and moveset constrictions(If you could call it that)

Defence point of view: Though 90HP/80Def/90SpDef might not seem to be much in a meta which is concentrated on hard hitters, with some investment in HP and Def/SpDef,deending on requirement, it is seen that it's able to withstand any neutral damage done to it.

Ability point of view: Technician. Like, seriously, what more could you ask of a Mon with access to rolling kick, shadow sneak, rock tomb,thief, force palm, smash down? TECHNICIAN! That ability makes up for it's noo too widespread move pool.

Lastly,

Typing point of view: Tell me, what are the weaknesses of ghost? Ghosts and Dark type!! Imagine if you just had a fighting STAB move to deal with the dark type offense heads? Result? Marshadow! This typing also allows for it to check it's main fighting threat- psychic!

Considering all these in mind, I call for an increase in its ranking to S, because, in a nutshell, it hits hard, tanks decent, has awesome typing, has cool ability, and lastly, coz ITS MARSHADOW, baby!

Last edited:
Totally related to 1v1, my favorite meta. About 2 Ultra beasts, which are totally underrated, Buzzwole and Nihilego!

BUZZWOLE:

Base Stats: HP107/Atk139/Def139/53SpA/53SpDef/79Spd

This Pokemon is just built to be a 1v1 giant, and yet, its usage underwhelmingly portrays its God-level stats! (Though I'm an atheist :P)
Its very high physical bulk makes it a perfect counter to just about any non-flying physical attacker, because it has access to moves like bulk up, roost, leech life for recovery. It's unusually high HP/Defence combo helps it survive a charX flare blitz 252Atk with some investment on Defence.
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fly vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Buzzwole: 336-396 (80.3 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Buzzwole: 356-420 (85.1 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

In practise it can be used for killing gyarados-M, Kyurem-Black, charX maybe(if not Will-o-wisp type charX), snorlax, chansey and many other physical type Pokemon.

Ppl mostly use Band or Scarf on buzzwole, but the actual dope item for it IMO is fightiniumZ with BulkUp/Superpower/LeechLifeorLunge/TPunchOrIPunchOrStoneEdge. Setup&Z move helps it out against tougher opponents like garchomp and aggron-M which can sweep it out with metal burst/counter.

I recommend we start using it in ladder ASAP.

NIHILEGO:

Nihilego is the SpDef counterpart of buzzwole. It has insane SpDef/HP combo which helps it survive a 2X special attack just the same way buzzwole can on the physical side.
This mon gets access to power gem which, when coupled with its speed, wipes out Charizard, a very dominant presence on the ladder. But , this Mon has the luxury of giving up speed for some Def investments which helps against KyuB, charX(though it naturally kills it), Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini,Genesect and some others.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 128 HP / 180+ Def Nihilego: 324-382 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Iron Head vs. 128 HP / 180+ Def Nihilego: 288-340 (73.6 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psychic vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 278-330 (71 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 344-408 (87.9 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Genesect Flash Cannon vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego: 294-348 (75.1 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Nihilego in Electric Terrain: 289-342 (73.9 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I personally use a Sub/AcidSpray/SludgeWave/power gem with RockiumZ set. This makes it an instant win against sableye-M slowbro-M, chansey, yawn snorlax, flying types, all of which are passive threats in the meta.

I really feel these two mons should see an increase in usage, both individually and in conjunction with each other, coz they compliment each other so well that a third Mon like metagross-M or donphan could make this team really strong.

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
I'd like to nominate Marshadow for a minimum of S. It beats more pokemon than any other. The pokemon that beat it are in very clear categories rather than random things making it incredibly easy to build around (ie speedy special attackers, bulky fairies). SSSSS is extraordinarily powerful, and the things that aren't hit by it get taken down by CC. Maybe this is too far, but I feel it deserves S+.

Landon

im in that tonka
Why isn't this thing on the VR? Stuff on the VR that Archeops can beat:
Kyurem-Black
Charizard X/Y
Tapu Koko
Deoxys-D
Marshadow
Lopunny-Mega
Lele
Pinsir-Mega
Meloetta
P-Z
Mawile-Mega
Genesect
Venusaur-Mega
Kartana
Ferrothorn
Greninja
Latios/Latias
Heracross-Mega
Buzzwole
Chansey
FEAR
Ambipom
Durant
Victini
Pidgeot-Mega
Manectric-Mega
Abomasnow-Mega
Thundurus-T
Marowak-A
Salazzle
Scizor-Mega
Sceptile-Mega
Alakazam-Mega
Nihilego
Blaziken-Mega
Infernape
Vivillon
Blissy
Pheramosa
Azumarill

I know some are stupid to include, but Archeops can beat 42 mons on the VR!
These kills can be accomplished by many sets such as:
Scarf, Band, Rockium Z. Niche sets that could be viable: Flyinium Z, Groundium Z.
Things such as Ferrothorn may need some extra evs in order for Heat Wave to pick a OHKO.
Viable Moves
Head Smash
Earthquake
Fly/Aerial Ace
Heat Wave
Switcherwoo
Outrage
Taunt/Sub?

So factoring in all of that I think Archeops for sure deserves at least a spot on the VR.

Last edited:
Kyurem-Black
Charizard X/Y
Tapu Koko
Deoxys-D
Marshadow
Lopunny-Mega
Lele
Pinsir-Mega
Meloetta
P-Z
Mawile-Mega
Genesect
Venusaur-Mega
Kartana
Ferrothorn
Greninja
Latios/Latias
Heracross-Mega
Buzzwole
Chansey
FEAR
Ambipom
Durant
Victini
Pidgeot-Mega
Manectric-Mega
Abomasnow-Mega
Thunderus-T
Marowak-A
Infernape
Vivillon
Blissy
Pheramosa
Azumarill

I know some are stupid to include, but Archeops can beat 36 mons on the VR!
Scarf, Band, Rockium Z. Niche sets that could be viable: Flyinium Z, Groundium Z.
Things such as Ferrothorn may need some extra evs in order for Heat Wave to pick a OHKO.
Viable Moves
Head Smash
Earthquake
Fly/Aerial Ace
Heat Wave
Switcherwoo
Outrage
Taunt/Sub?

So factoring in all of that I think Archeops for sure deserves at least a spot on the VR.

As a launching point to where Archeops should be placed, lets look at Mega-Medicham ranked at C+. Mega-Medicham does not match up nearly as well vs Kyurem-Black, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, either Charizard, Porygon-Z, or Mega-Pinsir. Is there evidence that Archeops is not at least equal to Mega-Medicham in viability?

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Kyurem-Black
Charizard X/Y
Tapu Koko
Deoxys-D
Marshadow
Lopunny-Mega
Lele
Pinsir-Mega
Meloetta
P-Z
Mawile-Mega
Genesect
Venusaur-Mega
Kartana
Ferrothorn
Greninja
Latios/Latias
Heracross-Mega
Buzzwole
Chansey
FEAR
Ambipom
Durant
Victini
Pidgeot-Mega
Manectric-Mega
Abomasnow-Mega
Thundurus-T
Marowak-A
Salazzle
Scizor-Mega
Sceptile-Mega
Alakazam-Mega
Nihilego
Blaziken-Mega
Infernape
Vivillon
Blissy
Pheramosa
Azumarill

I know some are stupid to include, but Archeops can beat 42 mons on the VR!
Viable Moves
Head Smash
Earthquake
Fly/Aerial Ace
Heat Wave
Switcherwoo
Outrage
Taunt/Sub?

I absolutely agree that Archeops deserves a spot on the VR (C+?). However, some of the things you mentioned were incorrect: Mega Mawile, Blissey, Mega Scizor, Mega Manectric and Ferrothorn. In addition, it needs multiple sets to beat everything that you mentioned. Regardless, 150 BP STAB coming off of 140 attack and 110 speed is more than viable.

Landon

im in that tonka
I absolutely agree that Archeops deserves a spot on the VR (C+?). However, some of the things you mentioned were incorrect: Mega Mawile, Blissey, Mega Scizor, Mega Manectric and Ferrothorn. In addition, it needs multiple sets to beat everything that you mentioned. Regardless, 150 BP STAB coming off of 140 attack and 110 speed is more than viable.
Archeops is capable of beating Mawile, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Blissey. I didn't say in the most viable ways, but it can still beat them. You were right about Manectric, as I forgot about Intimidate.
Now Archeops does need heavy spatk investment to OHKO Ferro and Scizor w/ Heat Wave, but it is still possible.
A Groundium Z set can beat Mawile.
A adamant, banded Archeops can kill a max def and hp Blissey w/ Head Smash.
Now these ways aren't the most viable which is probably why you said it can't beat them. Which I can agree w/, but I had to be stubborn and say that it is possible. :)

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Archeops is capable of beating Mawile, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Blissey. I didn't say in the most viable ways, but it can still beat them. You were right about Manectric, as I forgot about Intimidate.
Now Archeops does need heavy spatk investment to OHKO Ferro and Scizor w/ Heat Wave, but it is still possible.
A Groundium Z set can beat Mawile.
A adamant, banded Archeops can kill a max def and hp Blissey w/ Head Smash.
Now these ways aren't the most viable which is probably why you said it can't beat them. Which I can agree w/, but I had to be stubborn and say that it is possible. :)
-1 252+ Atk Archeops Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 250-296 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 338-402 (116.1 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Archeops Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 288-340 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Landon

im in that tonka
-1 252+ Atk Archeops Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 250-296 (82.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 338-402 (116.1 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Archeops Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 288-340 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
1. Hyper Cutter Mawile, not Intimidate. My bad, should have clarified.
2. Ah, Bullet Punch. Proved me wrong there.
3. Modest.
Ok, I'll stop now...

Last edited:

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
1. Hyper Cutter Mawile, not Intimidate. My bad, should have clarified.
2. Ah, Bullet Punch. Proved me wrong there.
3. Modest.
Ok, I'll stop now...
if you're going to make a set that beats ferrothorn, why not use a boosting item such as Firium-Z or even choice specs

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
Recommending Oranguru to be ranked somewhere. His moveset of Future sight + Calm Mind + Protect is great for one shotting a lot of opponents. Plus since he knows focus blast he can do some incredible damage by going future sight + protect + focus blast if you wish to use that route (or simply use focus blast as a powerful counter to dark types). The fact is many opponents don't even know what future sight does totally takes them by surprise and crushes them.

Here's what I use that typically works:
Oranguru @ Mind Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Oh, and did I mention future sight breaks through protect?
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen71v1suspecttest-608721401

It doesn't work vs top opponents but I suggest that it deserves a ranking of D maybe C-.
No. First off I don't even like this set. Second Off.

Last edited:

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
Recommending Oranguru to be ranked somewhere. His moveset of Future sight + Calm Mind + Protect is great for one shotting a lot of opponents. Plus since he knows focus blast he can do some incredible damage by going future sight + protect + focus blast if you wish to use that route (or simply use focus blast as a powerful counter to dark types). The fact is many opponents don't even know what future sight does totally takes them by surprise and crushes them.

Here's what I use that typically works:
Oranguru @ Mind Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Oh, and did I mention future sight breaks through protect?
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen71v1suspecttest-608721401

It doesn't work vs top opponents but I suggest that it deserves a ranking of D maybe C-.
Frankly, there's about 3 pokemon on the VR that such an Oranguru set could beat, and it's outclassed by Meloetta in every way. If you're interested in trying Meloetta, here's a sample set for you:

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Uproar
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Edit: Your replay doesn't work either.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
C+->B
Mega Sableye is one pokemon that currently benefits a lot from the unbalanced state of the meta. Physically defensive sets with WoW, Foul Play and Taunt provide a great counter to all 3 S rank pokemon (Specs Kyurem) as well as the broken Deoxys-D and Jirachi. Given that this will likely change soon once we get some bans going, but for the time being, Mega Sableye is a really solid pokemon.

B-->C-
Why would anyone choose to use this now that it has a mega evolution? I have great difficulty trying to name any pokemon that Aggron really needs an item to beat. Meanwhile, Mega Aggron can choose to mega evolve or to not mega evolve making Aggron purely outclassed.

Also, you misspelled Pheromosa on the VR.

Updated VR.

Unranked to S.
Unranked to B-
Unranked to B-
Unranked to A
Unranked to C
Unranked to B-
Unranked to B
C+ to B-
I don't think Aggron is anywhere close to B-. C- or D. Why would you ever use it when you can just use mega-Aggron? C-

Is Mega-Aggron really better than Lando-T? It might be as good, but I have a hard time thinking it's better. A-

Archeops has to run like 5 sets to barely beat a good amount of pokemon. It's more like C. Head Smash only has 80 accuracy. C

Mega-Gardevoir is only B ranked in a meta without Marshadow. If we want to rank for a meta with Marshadow, a lot of mons would change spots I think. Changing up the whole rankings for a mon that's going to get banned soon seems kind of pointless though. B

I don't see how Pheromosa got better. It doesn't beat Marshadow and was barely C+ rank to begin with. C+

Porygon-Z wasn't A+ before, and really isn't as long as Marshadow is around. I think A- is a good starting place for it. A-

Crustle isn't ranked. lol my bad. B

With a basic scarf set Archeops beats: Kyub, Zards, Koko, PZ, Pinsir, Lele, Durant, Genesect, Blaziken, Jumpluff, Pidgeot, Lopunny, Latios, Whimsicott, Greninja, Gengar, Pheromosa, Kartana, Hoopa-U, Gardevoir, Wak-A, Volcanion, Infernape, Heracross, Togekiss, Medicham, and some Deod. This is a good quantity of mons, and a really excellent quality of mons when you look at the top.

As far as 80% accuracy goes: with all the assorted hax that can occur in 1v1 that completely decide the match, 80% is a secure enough victory to be happy. B- is very acceptable for Archeops.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
image.jpg

Mega Lopunny: A or A+

Why has literally nobody on this thread discussed this Pokemon yet? I don't get it. It's fast as hell, very strong, has an amazing ability in Scrappy giving it an Unresisted STAB combo, Fake Out to break Sturdy users, and powerful STAB moves in High Jump Kick and Giga Impact. It's very presence has forced many Magnezone sets to run Protect just to win against it. A list of some of the things it beats:

-Marshadow
-Kyurem-Black sets aside from Scarf
-Dragonite (Assuming you run Ice Punch)
-Non-Scarf Porygon-Z
-Blissey
-Chansey
-Every Sturdy user except for Donphan
-Tapu Koko
-Mimikyu
-Mega Charizard Y

With all these factors considered, it's more than deserving of a spot in A. And heck, if Porygon-Z can be A+, why not Lopunny? It's honestly way better and far more prevalent.

Last edited:

So I made a fast graph just for presenting this idea. Visually showing raw strengths of moves on various sets could be useful for newcomers to understand how some moves stack up against others. The data was taken from the damage calculator from various Kyurem-B vs a 1 Base HP, 1 Base Def, and 1 Base SpDef test mon with no EVs or IVs (1 HP and 7 def and spdef points). The vertical column is how much HP a Pokemon with the lowest bulk would lose from these neutral hits - keep in mind blissey only has 714 HP with maximum investment. I choose this way of presenting the hits because if I were to make charts for more viable 1v1 mons you could numerically compare what moves are the strongest in 1v1 and know what you'll be surviving from investing to live through a more powerful move. For example, if you take all of these moves neutrally like you were a ghost type with godlike bulk, then knowing if you can tank a +252 Atk Subzero Slammer from the Icium set and you can tank a +252 SpA Devastating Drake from the special Z-Draco meteor set, then you can tank all of Kyurem's moves shown here. I need criticism and ideas on how to make it better and maybe we'll see what happens next with these.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

So I made a fast graph just for presenting this idea. Visually showing raw strengths of moves on various sets could be useful for newcomers to understand how some moves stack up against others. The data was taken from the damage calculator from various Kyurem-B vs a 1 Base HP, 1 Base Def, and 1 Base SpDef test mon with no EVs or IVs (1 HP and 7 def and spdef points). The vertical column is how much HP a Pokemon with the lowest bulk would lose from these neutral hits - keep in mind blissey only has 714 HP with maximum investment. I choose this way of presenting the hits because if I were to make charts for more viable 1v1 mons you could numerically compare what moves are the strongest in 1v1 and know what you'll be surviving from investing to live through a more powerful move. For example, if you take all of these moves neutrally like you were a ghost type with godlike bulk, then knowing if you can tank a +252 Atk Subzero Slammer from the Icium set and you can tank a +252 SpA Devastating Drake from the special Z-Draco meteor set, then you can tank all of Kyurem's moves shown here. I need criticism and ideas on how to make it better and maybe we'll see what happens next with these.
NGL this really confused me. I think the point is to somehow show how strong Kyurem-B is by looking at it's strongest moves, so you know what to calc vs with a given mon if you're looking at taking a neutral hit. Meaning that if you take all hits neutral Z-Draco and Z-Freeze Shock are what you should calc to live, to make sure you take on the mon completely (given you can KO back). I personally found this method of showing Kyurem-B's power a bit complex. I feel simply identifying the strongest physical and special move (which is fairly easy to do if you look at base power) would complete the same goal without the hassle and possibility of confusion with the graph. Then with regards to coverage options that aren't as powerful initially you could just make a note of how strong they get at 2x and 4x as effective (and whether or not they ever surpass the strongest initial option in damage put out). I know my explanation on my thoughts wasn't all that clear, but I can try to make it clear that while I like the idea I don't feel these types of graph simply looking at some weird power scale for Kyurem-B is the best way to assess its potency in the meta.

For the 101st post here I feel it's only appropriate to also demonstrate how the big hitters line up with their gigantic attacks.

NGL this really confused me. I think the point is to somehow show how strong Kyurem-B is by looking at it's strongest moves, so you know what to calc vs with a given mon if you're looking at taking a neutral hit. Meaning that if you take all hits neutral Z-Draco and Z-Freeze Shock are what you should calc to live, to make sure you take on the mon completely (given you can KO back). I personally found this method of showing Kyurem-B's power a bit complex. I feel simply identifying the strongest physical and special move (which is fairly easy to do if you look at base power) would complete the same goal without the hassle and possibility of confusion with the graph. Then with regards to coverage options that aren't as powerful initially you could just make a note of how strong they get at 2x and 4x as effective (and whether or not they ever surpass the strongest initial option in damage put out). I know my explanation on my thoughts wasn't all that clear, but I can try to make it clear that while I like the idea I don't feel these types of graph simply looking at some weird power scale for Kyurem-B is the best way to assess its potency in the meta.
That sounds great I'll rethink the way this all works and maybe come up with a different resource or something even better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

I mean, this is cool and all, but shouldn't you post this in the regular 1v1 thread too?

And just so this isn't a one-liner...

Porygon-Z: A+ ---> A
Yeah yeah, I get it, Adaptability Hyper Beam, blah, blah, blah. But try to answer this: What does Porygon-Z have going for it besides one extremely powerful nuke attack? It has average/mediocre stats aside from Special Attack, a bland typing, and while it's movepool is nice, there are a lot of things that slip by it, due to those coverage options falling short of KOes. Hyper Beam is still awesome, and it can be deadly with a Choice Scarf, but I don't think it's on the same level as Tapu Koko and Lele. While those Pokemon have tons of sets that can perform many functions, Porygon is kind of a one-trick pony. Again, not bad at all, but extremely predictable; too predictable to be ranked just shy of giants like Kyurem-Black.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)