[20:02] <@Jumpman16> i just had an idea

If we'd do that we'd really be reinventing the wheel and end up with the ubers metagame.

Lati@s definitely like Leftovers, but that's not an argument for allowing Soul Dew. They have the option of a free Calm Mind and that is quite powerful, not as much on the defensive side as it is on the offensive side. Basically, a Draco Meteor from Soul Dew Lati@s is more powerful than the one of Specsmence, and they're not even locked into it, or weak to Stealth Rock, and they can Recover etc. Not that I'd want to start an argument here but...blegh.

I think even if you test stuff that I would deem broken roughly half will find it too good and half will find it "counterable". This is what I discussed in an earlier post: people can test the same thing but draw different conclusions.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The fact that Battle Tower blocks Soul Dew should tell you pretty quickly that it really raises the bar much too high. You really need to draw a line somewhere on the "slippery slope" here.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
And the only way to do that accurately is by battling, which is why we, ironically, are revisiting the status of the same Wobbuffet that is very much allowed in the aforementioned Battle Tower but currently deemed ubers by "us". I'd love to follow whatever Nintendo had in mind with their rule-making for the BT but there are too many inconsistencies (that are obvious to us, at least).

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am all for this testing, but I think we need to be pretty clear about what we're testing and why. Keep in mind, we are very likely not going to please everyone, so let's be realistic and pick a set of Pokemon that we can reasonably call "viable". I'm for Wobbuffet, non-SD Lati@s, and Deoxys-E, but when you let Stark idiots goad you into stuff like Ho-oh and Soul Dew Latis, you really seem to be leaving your common sense at home.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The bigger question now is the method by which we plan on testing the suspects now. It'd be great to have Competitor up and running so we could orchestrate this a lot easier, but that's not possible at this point in time. We like to think that Smogon runs the competitive community, but isn't the allowance of these suspects largely up to Colin? Do the rest of you see the logistics of getting something like this to work in the community? Is it going to be a question of convincing Colin that x suspects have been decided by the powers-that-be of the competitive battling community, so allow them on your ladder sir?

I am not sure if there are better alternatives for us given that Competitor isn't up yet, which is my real question of you guys. Theorymon is fun and all but we need to be on the same page regarding the method by which we can begin testing whichever suspects we decide upon, which is why I made this thread. For the record, I am for testing every pokemon (and item) that Misty is.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's already talk of checking out Wobbuffet next. I could talk to him about all of these.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)