2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
'I don't want to win the Europa League. It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition'

- Jose Mourinho

No Totti in the starting XI smh. He probably can't play more than 60 minutes and we still need second place. Hopefully we can get a comfortable lead (which for Roma is like a 25-goal one) so he can come on at halftime.

Arsenal to remain shite for 2 more years
Tbf if you're shite and still winning trophies (FA cup) then you're probably not that shite

That said, I think Arsenal have pretty much said "we're now a top 4 team and possibly FA cup winners" with Wenger staying.

Am somewhat surprised but then again not really.

Could have a silver lining, now that Wenger is staying Ozil and possibly Sanchez have a reason to stay (guaranteed playing time while Wenger is in charge).

phalanx has been attacking arsenal and wenger any chance he gets tbh, its all good.

Wenger is proving he's adapting and not afraid of it. Stubborn with signings, yeah, but the players showed they can play for him and do.. the formation feels good.. it's all about getting a better squad and for the players to not only want to play when they feel up for it. It's a season long issue.. they take games off.

football gets supporters so wound up, but if you take a step back and enjoy the game and your club.. it's all good.

Wenger NEEDS to leave after these 2 years.. but im all for it. Let's go.

phalanx has been attacking arsenal and wenger any chance he gets tbh, its all good.

Wenger is proving he's adapting and not afraid of it. Stubborn with signings, yeah, but the players showed they can play for him and do.. the formation feels good.. it's all about getting a better squad and for the players to not only want to play when they feel up for it. It's a season long issue.. they take games off.

football gets supporters so wound up, but if you take a step back and enjoy the game and your club.. it's all good.

Wenger NEEDS to leave after these 2 years.. but im all for it. Let's go.
I don't think the Arsenal board had any replacements lined up (please correct me if I'm wrong) so the stability for two years while the board sorts out a replacement should be good. First order of business on every Arsenal fans mind is getting Sanchez and maybe Ozil down for contracts.

They have just agreed terms with Belgian side KAS Eupen for Henry Oneyekuru. Seems to be another future prospect at least, although he did score 20 goals and was top scorer. I think most Arsenal fans want a marquee signing though, or at least someone whose proven themselves in the Premier League. Mahrez is looking to leave Leicester, maybe they could/should go for him?

-----------

Man Utd seem to be getting Ivan Perisic from Inter Milan and I'm very sad as I was looking forward to using him in my Serie A FIFA 18 game when it's released. Chelsea are apparently in talks too but that still leaves the problem of Perisic leaving Serie A.

oh for sure, there's really not many options at the moment. there's no reason any other top manager atm can or would go Arsenal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40103874

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is targeting next season's Premier League title after signing a new two-year deal at the club.

The agreement does not include a break clause and, should it be completed, will extend his reign to 23 years.

Neither Arsenal nor Wenger, 67, see this as definitely being his final contract.

"I love this club and I am looking forward to the future with optimism and excitement," said Wenger.

Arsenal are expected to spend at least £100m on new players in the upcoming transfer window - which opens on 1 July - having also spent around that figure last summer.

"This is a strong group of players and with some additions we can be even more successful," Wenger told the club website.

"We're committed to mounting a sustained league challenge and that will be our focus this summer and next season."

The Gunners finished fifth in the Premier League this season, the first time they have finished outside the top four since the Frenchman joined in 1996.

They finished 18 points behind champions Chelsea, but beat the Blues 2-1 to win the FA Cup at Wembley on Saturday.

Wenger met club owner Stan Kroenke on Monday to determine his future, with the decision relayed to directors at a Tuesday board meeting.

Following Wednesday's official announcement, chief executive Ivan Gazidis said: "There is no complacency anywhere at this club.

"Our goal is to compete for and win trophies here and in Europe. Everything we do is designed to make that happen and we will be working hard on and off the pitch this summer to improve and make a strong challenge next season."

I think the most worrying aspect there is that neither Wenger or the board sees it as his final contract.

But hey, they pulled I think 4-6 wins on the trot with 3atb so maybe?

Will be an interesting transfer window at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)