2016 International Challenge January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click for the Global Link announcement ^

International Challenege with VGC 2016 ruleset, CP is being offered so sign up asap and kick some ass. Considering this doesn't impact my Battle Spot Doubles rating, I might actually do this.

Only chance so far to have this battle format on cart - don't skip the real deal experience. At worst, you get 2,000 Pokemiles just for participating.

Rules in case there's any confusion.
Signups: Thursday, January 21, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, January 28, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
Participation: Friday, January 29, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, January 31, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

DISCUSS.

They really think we SR'd our teams that fast??????
They do not care about how long we use on SR'ing Pokemon, and fyi there has already been several Premier Challenges with the VGC 16 ruleset.

Anyways, I'm pretty pumped for this, can't wait to get to ladder on cartridge. I just need a good team that doesn't have Smeargle, since in a format of this kind will punish Dark Void users with lots of misses that cost games in the long run, which sucks if you are actually trying to get CP from this.

They do not care about how long we use on SR'ing Pokemon, and fyi there has already been several Premier Challenges with the VGC 16 ruleset.

Anyways, I'm pretty pumped for this, can't wait to get to ladder on cartridge. I just need a good team that doesn't have Smeargle, since in a format of this kind will punish Dark Void users with lots of misses that cost games in the long run, which sucks if you are actually trying to get CP from this.
Or someone might use *gasp* Meowstic/Whimsicott/Klefki just to take a giant shit on Smeargle's life with Safeguard. Or worse: Lum Berry Dual Chop Garchomp/Haxorus. Remember kids: Haxorus outruns most Ubers and gives 0 fucks about your Pdon + SS Cress core.
So yeah imo, expect to see a lot of DV Smeargle and just bring something that can take it.

Yveltal + Hydreigon could be fun, Mega Gardevoir + Xern could be utterly disgusting, I'm personally going to be a giant cunt with no intent of winning, focused purely on dragging down other people's rankings with a team in the works + what I'm SRing.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Click for the Global Link announcement ^

International Challenege with VGC 2016 ruleset, CP is being offered so sign up asap and kick some ass. Considering this doesn't impact my Battle Spot Doubles rating, I might actually do this.

Only chance so far to have this battle format on cart - don't skip the real deal experience. At worst, you get 2,000 Pokemiles just for participating.

Rules in case there's any confusion.
Signups: Thursday, January 21, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, January 28, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
Participation: Friday, January 29, 2016, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, January 31, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

DISCUSS.
Nice something I can actually compete in. Should be lots of fun :)

They really think we SR'd our teams that fast??????
Unless you have had no time to play at all during the time between when the rules were announced and now, why wouldn't you have your team SR'd, EV'd, PP Maxed, and have all the appropriate moves by the time of the sign ups? Hell there is another 2 weeks before the sign up period begins.

Why is ProjectTitan313 always the first one on posting IC related stuff?
I like ICs. But mostly, I checked PGL this morning to see my ranking (1566 yaaaay) and saw it was just announced today; no Smogon thread, decided to fix. Pure coincidence. Plus I've posted like 5 threads in the last 2 days anyway :P
And I just SR'd the one mon I needed most. If you remember the horror I unleashed in the Spooky Cup, I just got the one thing that beats out Arbok on the "wtf" list. No, it isn't a Dunsparce. I might need a Groudon though.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I like ICs. But mostly, I checked PGL this morning to see my ranking (1566 yaaaay) and saw it was just announced today; no Smogon thread, decided to fix. Pure coincidence. Plus I've posted like 5 threads in the last 2 days anyway :P
And I just SR'd the one mon I needed most. If you remember the horror I unleashed in the Spooky Cup, I just got the one thing that beats out Arbok on the "wtf" list. No, it isn't a Dunsparce. I might need a Groudon though.
Wouldn't happen to be Zygarde like you were talking about before?

Also excited about having a vgc 16 online tournament so soon rip battle spot singles people. Also I had a pc on the 2nd which I barely managed to get a team together for (was literally training my Groudon as I got there). If your having trouble getting legends Theorymon's giveaway was really helpful for me (he was busy for a while but may have recently returned).

Wouldn't happen to be Zygarde like you were talking about before?

Also excited about having a vgc 16 online tournament so soon rip battle spot singles people. Also I had a pc on the 2nd which I barely managed to get a team together for (was literally training my Groudon as I got there). If your having trouble getting legends Theorymon's giveaway was really helpful for me (he was busy for a while but may have recently returned).
Totally not Zygarde, I would never burn an uber slot on something that bad

Not even sure what the other mega slot will be though; Kyogre maybe but I have a severe lack of Uber mons. I have Yveltal, Xerneas, and... that's it lol.

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aura Break Zygarde: 176-210 (81.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aura Break Zygarde: 64-75 (29.7 - 34.8%) -- 11.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aura Break Zygarde: 71-86 (33 - 40%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 164-194 (81.1 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:(((
#SaveZygarde

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aura Break Zygarde: 176-210 (81.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aura Break Zygarde: 64-75 (29.7 - 34.8%) -- 11.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aura Break Zygarde: 71-86 (33 - 40%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 164-194 (81.1 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:(((
#SaveZygarde
It will either be amazing, or absolute shit. I'm willing to take that gamble for the whole crew.

Anyway, actual discussion here:

1) AV Landog was very much a thing late VGC15; might be decent against Lord Groudon while at least dampening Rayquaza's obligitory Dragon Ascent. Groudon as a partner completely dismisses Water as a weakness on it, and Delta Stream reduces Ice weakness + gains a Rock resist, while Primordial Sea says "nope, fuck off Sableye". Still viable?

2) Gyarados walls Groudon quite well; Rock Slide doesn't hurt that badly:

-1 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 72-86 (42.1 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Overheat vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados in Harsh Sun: 101-119 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados in Harsh Sun: 87-103 (50.8 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And that's all assuming no bulk investment at all and you don't have Rayquaza negating the weather. Granted, Waterfall has surprising difficulty returning the KO:

252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 196-232 (94.6 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

With Primordial Sea / Delta Stream, it gains numerous, interesting benefits. Primordial Sea, again, blocks WoW, and Gyarados in rain is pretty painful in it's own right. Air Lock makes it pretty brutal on Pdon, Thunder Wave can snipe opposing Rayquaza too. Delta Stream reduces Electric weakness, makes Rock neutral, Ice is now resisted, and Gyarados' other resistances are still stacked on that, so it's basically only weak to Electric and has great resists. Pdon has probably crushed the hopes and dreams of the only popular Electric mons in VGC15 by now (Zapdos, Thundy, Rotom-W/H, Raichu) so that may actually be interesting for Gyarados.

3) Skill Swap Gengar + Pdon. lol.

It will either be amazing, or absolute shit. I'm willing to take that gamble for the whole crew.

Anyway, actual discussion here:

1) AV Landog was very much a thing late VGC15; might be decent against Lord Groudon while at least dampening Rayquaza's obligitory Dragon Ascent. Groudon as a partner completely dismisses Water as a weakness on it, and Delta Stream reduces Ice weakness + gains a Rock resist, while Primordial Sea says "nope, fuck off Sableye". Still viable?

2) Gyarados walls Groudon quite well; Rock Slide doesn't hurt that badly:

-1 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 72-86 (42.1 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Overheat vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados in Harsh Sun: 101-119 (59 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados in Harsh Sun: 87-103 (50.8 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And that's all assuming no bulk investment at all and you don't have Rayquaza negating the weather. Granted, Waterfall has surprising difficulty returning the KO:

252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 196-232 (94.6 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

With Primordial Sea / Delta Stream, it gains numerous, interesting benefits. Primordial Sea, again, blocks WoW, and Gyarados in rain is pretty painful in it's own right. Air Lock makes it pretty brutal on Pdon, Thunder Wave can snipe opposing Rayquaza too. Delta Stream reduces Electric weakness, makes Rock neutral, Ice is now resisted, and Gyarados' other resistances are still stacked on that, so it's basically only weak to Electric and has great resists. Pdon has probably crushed the hopes and dreams of the only popular Electric mons in VGC15 by now (Zapdos, Thundy, Rotom-W/H, Raichu) so that may actually be interesting for Gyarados.

3) Skill Swap Gengar + Pdon. lol.
Dude, heavy rain sadly doesn't block WoW.
Finally, someone who plays BSD! Hit me up if you wanna a bo3 or sth man n_n

Dude, heavy rain sadly doesn't block WoW.
Finally, someone who plays BSD! Hit me up if you wanna a bo3 or sth man n_n
...wait, it only blocks attacks? not status category moves? So I could use Aqua Ring/Soak in Heavy Sun too?
edit: also I set up a shitton of BSD stuff in the battle spot forum yo.

This is great. I've been secretly building up some Restricted pokemons in the hopes that I'd get some time for a PC but this IC will be great cartridge training

Secretly hoping that Kang/Xern/Pdon isn't used alot but not gonna count it out. Can't wait to get my team ready for this thing! Maybe this'll mean we may actually get something done so that we can ladder on Battle Spot, praying for that

only need to SR 2/6ths of it, you can SR 2 flawless legendaries in 2 weeks right? Even Xern/Yveltal with a giant ass cutscene to waste your life?
Since you are required to catch it, KO it in the firat battle and save afterwards. You'll avoid the cutscene everytime you SR.

Edit: Aw, why one so soon? Since I was planning on mostly sitting this season out I was wanting to wait a bit before actually Team build, and look at some of the popular stuff for ideas once the metagame started to settle more. Still, definitely inspiration to SR that Yveltal I got a spare copy of Y for, so there is that.

Last edited:
Really miffed that this is the first tour we get out the gate as the main thing I love about the "no legends" rule is that I don't have to SR for them, but I'll see if I have any legends that aren't 100% worthless because of their nature or IVs.

I'm in no way a serious competitive battler though, so this is essentially Pokemile farming for me. I'll play by my "quit if I start sucking" rule which means this one might be a short one for me with all the fire power allowed in this thing.

Also, will this get it's own mode on Showdown, or should we just use the VGC16 mode since it's essentially the same format? I have a few sets I want to try out before I start breeding.

I'll see how many battles I can do for this...but between juggling a busy work schedule and a newborn baby, I doubt I'd get all 30 games in :p.

I'm only familiar using my SURF and TURF team, which is basically Scar's 3rd place team modified somewhat...but I heard that R_Inanimate's Khanartist team is relatively easy to use and lots of people have been having success with it at PCs

Anyone else having trouble signing up? When I try to sign up it tells me that the competition I was in has already ended and shows me the April international challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)