Online Competition 2017 No Holds Barred

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

RULES:
  • Bring 6, pick 3 Singles
  • all Pokemon become level 100
  • NO species clause
  • NO item clause
  • Pokemon transferred from older games are legal
  • The following Pokemon are banned: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Solgaleo, Lunala. Everything else is legal.
tagging The Immortal to hopefully get the ladder up asap!

PGL page:
https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/information/9602e82f-cd2d-4944-acbc-8227d90f9847

Last edited:
A Battle Spot version of Anything Goes? This will be interesting. Few Questions: Pokemon automatically become lv.100 right? No need to level them up right? What are some good Pokemon to use multiple copies of? Interesting note: This is the first SM online competitions to allow mega stones.
Skymin in Gen VII lets go!
Shaymin returns to land form if you put in the PC...

So exactly how powerful would Marshadow (given that people may or may not have it) turn out to be in this meta? And what exactly would I be able to use against it since I can't get it here in America?

So exactly how powerful would Marshadow (given that people may or may not have it) turn out to be in this meta? And what exactly would I be able to use against it since I can't get it here in America?
It looks really promising, since it has an amazing speed tier and unreisisted STAB. One answer could be Tapu Koko, since it's faster and can hit it super effectively.
They changed it in Gen VII (along with Hoppa Unbound), so that it reverts when you withdraw it, not when you deposit it.
I didn't know that. Thanks.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
THREE ZYGARDE COMPLETE
update: FIVE ZYGARDE COMPLETE and an Aegislash because I need an Ice resist somwhere

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Power Construct
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Zygarde @ Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Zygarde @ Mago Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Rock Slide
- Glare

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute
- Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Well this has to be the most interesting format they've released. I'm guessing the mons to beat would be Mega Salamence, Marshadow, Complete Zygarde and Deoxys. Probably plays similarly to OU but with a few Ubers mixed in.

Something that immediately comes to mind are the mindgames that can be made by taking two different versions of three different Pokemon that can have multiple distinct sets to make it nearly impossible to play around effectively. Two each of Salamence, Celesteela and Tapu Koko would do the trick.

The last cycle of SM begins : all Mega Stones available and allowed, coming back to Singles, crazy rules with some legendaries in the place.
Time to bring my Marshadow and have some fun !

Here's a list of legendary pokemon minus the ones we can't use for the competition (from bulbapedia)
Articuno • Zapdos • Moltres • Mew
Raikou • Entei • Suicune • Celebi • Regirock • Regice • Registeel • Latias • Latios
Jirachi • Deoxys
Uxie • Mesprit • Azelf • Heatran • Regigigas • Cresselia • Phione* • Manaphy • Darkrai • Shaymin
Victini • Cobalion • Terrakion • Virizion • Tornadus • Thundurus • Landorus • Keldeo • Meloetta • Genesect
Zygarde • Diancie • Hoopa • Volcanion
Tapu Koko • Tapu Lele • Tapu Bulu • Tapu Fini • Cosmog • Cosmoem • Necrozma • Magearna • Marshadow

So Battle Spot Singles without Item Clause and with Mythicals? Interesting.

(Also, no Species Clause? That's really big)

Here's hoping the diancite gets released before this competition starts, seems like it would be an interesting mon to use in this meta.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's hoping the diancite gets released before this competition starts, seems like it would be an interesting mon to use in this meta.
also, here's hoping that marshadow gets released worldwide, bc wouldn't that suck :/

ngl i've been wanting a bss format with mythicals included for a long long time so i'm really keen for this format. magearna in particular seems like something i'd be really keen to look at as a blanket check to a lot of the things that are allowed in this format, such as genesect, hoopa, diancie, darkrai sorta, necrozma celebi etcetc. if anyone overreacts to the presence of marshadow and brings a scarf lele then magearna will punish that too. zygarde-complete and the deoxys formes will be broken, as will marshadow, so i'd imagine that most teams would need a bulky answer to cope with that pokemon. a particularly cool pick that i can think of would be tapu koko, for its ability to hard check keldeo, manaphy, hoopa i guess, skymin, darkrai (by blocking sleep and outspeeding) and marshadow (again, by being a faster fairy-type). seriously, 130 is such a fantastic speed tier for this competition and tapu koko has all the needed tools to make it work, at least in theory.

getting back to zygarde for a second, i feel like thousand arrows will have to be considered on every team that wants to do well. bug stab could be useful in this format for catching the numerous psychics (not to mention darkrai) offguard so i'd say that something like mega heracross or yanmega could potentially be useful here. old mate skymin will be by far and away the most common 1karrows switch-in tho.

e: btw baton pass is dead pretty much purely because of spectral thief lmao

Last edited:
Seems like Japanese players have a significant advantage in this competition, given that only they can have access to Marshadow's Z-move.

Reactions: JES
Seems like Japanese players have a significant advantage in this competition, given that only they can have access to Marshadow's Z-move.
Unless Marshadow is sneaking around this month for us. Not likely given how the japanese event was handled but who knows?

So... from the looks of it, which Pokemon are viable to run all together?

The first thing that comes to my head right now is that disgusting 6 Deoxys-Attack offense from AG (though I cannot pull it off as I only have one and it's still in Alpha Sapphire), with the possibility of swapping one with a Tapu Lele with a Terrain Extender, I guess.

Unless Marshadow is sneaking around this month for us. Not likely given how the japanese event was handled but who knows?

So... from the looks of it, which Pokemon are viable to run all together?

The first thing that comes to my head right now is that disgusting 6 Deoxys-Attack offense from AG (though I cannot pull it off as I only have one and it's still in Alpha Sapphire), with the possibility of swapping one with a Tapu Lele with a Terrain Extender, I guess.
Is 3v3, so you don't have to run 4-5 Deoxys. Running Tapu Lele and 2 Deoxys should be enough, which gives you space for stuff like Father, Marshadow and Magearna

Is 3v3, so you don't have to run 4-5 Deoxys. Running Tapu Lele and 2 Deoxys should be enough, which gives you space for stuff like Father, Marshadow and Magearna
... good point, so I'd only need a second Deoxys. And some Caps as I've ran out of them.

(And what are you calling "Father", by the way?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)