Online Competition 2017 No Holds Barred

They are. My lv45 breloom was raised to 100, so you are good.
Lv 12 Mimikyu here, ditto.

High 1600s after 20ish games with Genesect/Venusaur/Mimikyu/Magearna/Mamoswine/Zygarde. Don't think I have it in me to push past 1720-30 this time around. Kind of surprised by the amount Metagross in team previews, someone brought in the dreaded new Dark Void Darkrai and got two misses off, and aced a full Lapras team.

I'm finding that very little teams have an out to Scarf Tapu Lele. It outspeeds and wrecks things with Psychic or Moonblast. It can sweep if your opponent has weakened mons from too much switching early on. And even resisted hits hurt my opponent. Somebody switched in their Necrozma against me and Psychic still did 65%. Then I KO'd it next turn :/

Only thing that stopped Lele today was Neverending Nightmare Mimikyu with Disguise up

Recalled to work after being laid off all Summer, so I really did not have time to make a team.

Decided to get my 3 battles today and used my Weakness Cup team.

Went 2-1.

ZTKW-WWWW-WWW8-YE2D

WXZW-WWWW-WWW8-YE2A

I can't believe I won the 3rd battle, 2nd battle video code, but Hax was my friend and I'll take it.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Its been a fun comp, still dont think its like a super balanced meta, but its cool getting to use all these mons that you never get a chance to otherwise and see their animations in game. I had a trash day 1 where I went 11-4 where I felt I was better than all my opponents but was just losing to dumb shit. This was probably right since in Day 2 I was able to go 13-2 and I still hadnt felt many of my opponents were that good. 1750ish rn gonna hopefully do well day 3 and hit 1800!

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
OK I did all my games and these comps are starting to piss me off a little. I was 1830 at one point undefeated for day 3 and they I fight a bunch of low rated crap that beats me shooting my rating down. Every comp I do good and then just tilt in the last battles. Im 1810 and I play 1609 mono deo and entei so I get pissed when i lose and then just lose the next matches. I guess its whatever, but I just really want to do good in a comp and I always do and just fuck up at the very end so my rating looks bad. Anyway shoultouts tfa for the team it was really good and I mostly lost to stupid random crap or me being dumb. Was 1767 after losing my last match to Ray Rizzo and he was pretty low lol so guess Im like 1750 so better than my other comps but still frustrating when you tilt almost 100 points every competition. The meta was kinda crazy and I wasnt consistently fighting good teams til the last day. Still looking for a balanced meta but this one was pretty fun

Last edited:
Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Swagger

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Swagger

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z
Naive Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Power Construct
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail

Finished 1851 + the points for a win.

Diancie - Brought to deter rocks so that my sashes can stay intact. In practice the common rockers like Hippowdon, Deoxys and Mamoswine don't mind leading against it so I never picked it. The 1st time I brought it I didn't have a mega ring and the second time it didn't need to come out so I never actually used Mega Diancie. Swagger was chosen to use in combination with Marshadow but as above I didn't get the chance to click it.

Sash Marshadow pair - Just ridiculously broken in this so I brought them both at least 80% of the time. Usually lead with the swagger one because people don't tend to lead with Zygarde. Very few offensive threats take 1 attack + a shadow sneak so you usually get 2 kills with double Marsh.

Z-Move Marshadow - Brought to stall break bulky teams, in reality I think I brought it as part of a triple Marshadow team like 3 times and only clicked the Z-move once, would definitely replace with something like another Zygarde.

Celesteela - Immense wall that just deals with threats. The sets pretty standard, brought it mostly against Mimikyu, Marshadow, Lele teams who otherwise would be an issue. Actually a pain in the arse to use because I ended up in 50+ turn battles twice because of pure steela stalling. I know some people choose a fire move but protect is very invaluable in this to guarantee the extra healing.

Zygarde - The god, second best Pokemon allowed besides Marshadow. Brought against teams that don't have look to have an abundance of ice type moves. Out tank every hit and either spam Arrows or sweep. I used Iron Tail in exactly one battle because I was pp stalling and really regret bringing it. Glare, Dragon Tail or Espeed would have all been way better choices I feel. The EV spread was to simply take as little as possible from the ever present HP Ice which worked fine but i'd have loved more physical bulk to take Ice Punches better.

Main threats to the team:

Marshadow - Sneak wars or kill them with Celesteela. Honestly everyone is going to have problems without running stall so I just lived with it.

Glare spam + Moody Bibarel. - Very nearly lost to this but won out due to terrible Moody Boosts. Not being able to steal the boosts and CC only having 8 PP meant this was a serious surprise threat.

Zygarde - Chug at it, steal boosts if you have a sash and pray. The pure bulk makes this just a monster to deal with.

Fini - Celesteela them and hope to finish off with Spectral Thief. If I had to do this again, Diancies spot would be a solid Fini answer

Overall fun competition, wish I brought a second Zygarde instead of ss7ss Marshaddow and like Magearna over Diancie.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm calling it before I fall asleep mid fight. wanted to play way more but as usual I ended up having a really busy weekend, and didn't help that I had two really long battles where I could have easily squeezed in an extra 6-7 games in that time. Finished on exactly 1700 after 21 games, went like 17-4 I think. First loss was to a DC on my end as I was clicking the winning move, second was to a guy landing two sheer colds in a row when I only needed to dodge one to KO them, third was against a guy running mega lopunny + marshadow where I tried to spectral thief his marsh like an IDIOT when he was clearly going into lop, and fourth was against Ray Rizzo because I let him sweep me with swagger marshadow lol. apart from those sloppy games I enjoyed the rest a lot! I faced what I thought were competent players in every fight except maybe once, and felt like I earned all my wins except for one where I had to fish for swagger confusion and got it.

no holds barred team.png

I used shuckle + marsh nearly every battle, with celesteela as the usual third, but volcanion got picked a lot and put in serious work. I didn't use zygarde anywhere near as much as I did on showdown which was a shame, but it did win me a couple games on its own. quag kinda felt like dead weight but I didn't run into any hard baton pass teams like the ones that were bopping me on ps.

if you can be bothered opening your ds and entering the codes, I saved some decent games

YP2G-WWWW-WWW8-J37Y
vs

first loss, this was against the sheer cold guy. I choked by e-speeding his ninetales though, no idea why I did that...

833G-WWWW-WWW8-J38Q
vs

the infamous murkrow guy I've told everyone on discord about.

3F8W-WWWW-WWW8-J3BH
vs

Swagger is broken

HAMW-WWWW-WWW8-J3BR
vs

vs Ray Rizzo. I played this one super poorly :( Swagger is broken

4DBG-WWWW-WWW8-J3CK
vs

get a coffee for this one. I should have just brought marshadow and counter swept him but iirc he had something really anti-marsh at team preview and scared me out of it.

removed :(

anyway this was a really cool format and I liked it a lot even though marshadow was broken. wish I was able to play more

Last edited:
Ok, just finished after 43 battles. This was my team:

Played all my battles between Saturday and Sunday and ended really disappointed with how I did. It was the format where I practised most and was comfortable with my team in Showdown, but finally ended in the 1650s.
Mainly because I played passively on Saturday and made bad decissions early in some games, but what really pissed me was that somehow I got disconnected 3 or 4 times...

Well, after that rant I'll say that the stars of my team were Marshadow, Shuckle, Celesteela and Mamoswine. Those 4 were my core and brought them 80% of the time, I still regret not using Shuckle more though. Looking back I would have left Mega Loppunny for Zygarde Complete.
I was doubtful about Koko but did really well against Volcanions and caught by surprise many Zygardes with Z-Dazzling Gleam.

Found a couple of teams with 2 or 3 Dittos, one with a shiny Victini but mainly BSS teams.

I hope they keep making competitions like the last 3, where Pokemon that we can't usually use have their chance to shine.

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
All right! Time to post my team as well! :D

NHB team.png

I really wish I could've played more, but I spent my whole Saturday doing volunteer work, and I was too tired to play after I got home. Still, I managed to get to ~1730 points in under 30 games. But anyways, I really enjoyed using the team. Despite Marshadow being such a big threat, I almost didn't bring it to any of my matches, while Blaziken was one of my MVPs. As expected, Mamoswine and Magearna were really good and I brought them to most of my matches. Fini was unexpectedly amazing, but maybe that was just people sleeping on it. Zygarde was mostly there for team preview mindgames, but it was invaluable in the matches I did bring it.

Overall, it's a team with no surprises or unexpected stuff(besides maybe Haze Zygarde, which I only used in one single match), but it was very solid all around.

This comp was pretty fun, but I didn't get to play as many matches as I wanted due to a lack of time. I ended up going 16-6 and ended at around 1650 which is pretty disappointing. But anyway onto my team:
I'd say that Magearna and Mamoswine were easily the MVP of my team and I probably brought one (or both) almost every match. Despite being amazing on showdown, Zygarde didn't see very many battles and was pretty underwhelming. The rest of my team put in some pretty solid work as well, but I found myself wanting a different item on Koko in several games.

If anyone's interested here's a couple of replays of my own:

APRW-WWWW-WWW8-YEKQ
vs

vs chemcoop. This was a pretty fun match, and it was neat to run into a friend!

77EW-WWWW-WWW8-J68Z
vs

This match was pretty intense, with my opponent outplaying me for most of the match, but Blaziken ends up saving me.

This was a pretty fun comp, hopefully the next comp will be just as good as this one!

Since my team was probably the highest rated team to use Aggron I'm going to share it!

This team was really fun to play with. MVPs are definitely Marshadow and Magerna because they just destroy everything. Aggron was really cool to use, and the bulk it brought was just amazing, being able to live almost every physical hit and retaliating with EQ or Heavy slam. Granted Zygrade probably would have been better in that slot, but I still loved it.
In retrospect the biggest thing I should have done was run Fairium on koko instead of electrium because almost every time I used the Z-move it got blocked by Zygrade or another ground. I also would have loved to have sash Breloom, but scarf did save my butt a fair amount.

6A6G-WWWW-WWW8-J6EZ
upload_2017-8-27_20-7-4.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-7-26.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-7-43.png
vs
upload_2017-8-27_20-8-22.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-8-42.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-9-10.png

This was the 1st real match with Breloom (actual 1st was against 6 mimikyus).

JWKW-WWWW-WWW8-J6YQ
upload_2017-8-27_20-18-16.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-18-49.png
vs
upload_2017-8-27_20-19-38.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-20-0.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-18-16.png

Against a fairly standard rain team. I think I played pretty well in it.

63EW-WWWW-WWW8-J6K4
upload_2017-8-27_20-7-4.png
vs
upload_2017-8-27_20-9-10.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-22-28.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-22-43.png

Last game I played, it felt pretty good playing it, also one of the few times Breloom tasted blood

DFJW-WWWW-WWW8-J6ZC
vs
upload_2017-8-27_20-51-42.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-52-5.png

Trick Room Zard-Y is new meta?

STUW-WWWW-WWW8-J6LU
upload_2017-8-27_20-54-11.png
vs
upload_2017-8-27_20-54-53.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-55-21.png
upload_2017-8-27_20-55-47.png

Obligatory Aggron validation. Sadly this is the best replay with Aggron that I saved.\

e: I need to get that stupid pic working until then here's the link:
http://imgur.com/a/wFaW3

Magearna was incredible in this, not surprised to see it showing up so much. Would typically run it with Garchomp lead and Salamence/Gyarados, both to help with fire types, which seemed to work pretty well. Xurkitree was tricky to use but had its moments. Ended 31-14 so I guess that's solid. Looking forward to the next!

Reactions: Tox
This competition was really fun. Here's the team I used:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Rain Dance

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt

The team worked pretty well for the most part and I managed to get to the 1700s after close to 30 battles. Unfortunately I went on a pretty bad loosing streak after that due to some bad matchups and a few misplays on my part. I was able to climb back up after that though, and ended up finishing with a rating right around 1700.

I felt like I could have gotten a bit higher rating, but I just kept running into teams that I had really difficult matchups against. Ditto in particular was very difficult for my team to deal with, and the combination of ditto and chansey was nearly impossible for me to break through. Mons like Mega Kangeskahn and Mega Gyarados also proved to be really tough for my team to deal with as well.

In general though, I was pretty happy with how my team performed. Mega Swampert and Volcanion were devastating in rain, Mamoswine was great for breaking sashes and dealing with things like Zygarde, while magearna dealt with psychic spam and was overall just a great tank for the team.

I actually ran into a few people from Smogon too.

Here are a few battle videos:

EXHW-WWWW-WWW8-J3TH
Battle against Theorymon. I got lucky this game. I think staying in with swampert might have been a misplay but I might have still won with volcanion in back depending on the magearna set.

KVWW-WWWW-WWW8-YWHC
Battle against NOVED, didn't realize it until I saw the video from the stream. My goal for this game was just to set up rocks to break sashes and sweep with mega Swampert.

SK6G-WWWW-WWW8-YWPR
I think this team sums up the competition pretty well.

R6PW-WWWW-WWW8-YE25
A battle against a high ranking opponent.
I was really careful about preserving magearna and it payed off.

3X8W-WWWW-WWW8-J7E3
This was a close game, Magearna probably would have been better here, but Swampert pulled through.

Last edited:
Went 23-7, ended up ~1750

Untitled.png

Wanted to give a shoutout to Mr. Zigzagoon on the Pokemon Showdown servers, show him some love if you see him for giving me a Marshadow after hearing me complain.

Practiced a lot for this tourney, wish it had gone a tiny bit better, but loved the meta!

Really wanted Talonflame to be a dark horse, naturally outspeeding Marshadow and being able to burn Zygarde, but ended up being a tad disappointing. Just didn't have the base stats to compete, wish it was a Char-X or Blaziken.

So rankings are out and I managed what i've wanted to do since the Little Cup competition and come 1st globally in one of these
Shoutouts to Marshadow for being broken
Huge congrats.
So you and I are the only non-Japanese people to ever win one of these (non-VGC) pgl comps, and we're both UK. That's pretty cool.

I finished this comp 34-11. Game plan was to clear things up for either Deoxys-A or Zygarde. Blaziken, Magearna, and Marshadow were brought a lot, didn't have much opportunities to psyspam due to all the darks I ran into, but when I did it took out at least one mon, in some battles two. There were a couple matches where I wish I had Marshadium Z or Swagger to break through the bulky stuff that walled my team.

hello y'all

I just signed up to brag about my "good" score

I'm not too familiar with the forum or even with pokemon since 5th gen, but I'm getting back into it and this was my first online comp

I used my only EV trained pokes, Gyarados, Charizard, Scizor and Rotom-H, plus two irrelevant untrained pokes that I only brought once or twice, Decidueye and Magnezone

anyway somehow I got 29-16 which was good enough for 300th place

my "best" win was against the 3rd place finisher A k k a r, it was really stupid though... I ended up with Rotom against Hippowdon and Salamence and somehow walled them until the opponent forfeited

I guess this is the code for that battle 26EW-WWWW-WWW8-LS9E

someone entered with nothing but swinubs. I was going to just dragon dance forever and see what they would do but they forfeited after one turn... ;_; 8JKG-WWWW-WWW8-LSBG if you want to see the swinubs

most embarrassing loss was probably getting beat by muk, muk, and weezing (he also had weezing, gengar, and gengar iirc) KMMW-WWWW-WWW8-LSCQ not really worth watching unless you want to wonder how such a scrub using steelium-z on scizor could finish 1669

editing in: actually there was one battle I had that was slightly interesting from a theory perspective. I'm convinced I lost this match when I KOed the opponent's Gyarados. I should have switched and set up on my opponent's switch. Pretty sure I could have won then, but instead I went for the KO on the crippled sweeper and paid for it. 5NWW-WWWW-WWW8-MW93

also here's a GOOD one I won't spoil... Very tense, fun to watch! You won't believe how it ends! 8HWG-WWWW-WWW8-MWJ2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)