5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Is the Dream Radar searching still broken for RNG Reporter?
It still says "Searched: 0 & Found: 0" even after several minutes.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't use PPRNG :(

I hope Dream Radar searching will be fixed on RNG Reporter's next update after 10.2

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Is the Dream Radar searching still broken for RNG Reporter?
It still says "Searched: 0 & Found: 0" even after several minutes.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't use PPRNG :(

I hope Dream Radar searching will be fixed on RNG Reporter's next update after 10.2
Yes, afaik. It looks like admiral_fish has largely moved over to developing a cross-platform "RNG Reporter" (PokeFinder) too, so I'm not sure how far down the line it may be fixed (if ever).

In the meantime, you can search for seeds like normal using the capture tab and adjust the IV frames accordingly.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Yes, afaik. It looks like admiral_fish has largely moved over to developing a cross-platform "RNG Reporter" (PokeFinder) too, so I'm not sure how far down the line it may be fixed (if ever).

In the meantime, you can search for seeds like normal using the capture tab and adjust the IV frames accordingly.
Already tried searching manually, but it takes forever & my hands are getting crampy :(

So does it mean fixing the Dream Radar searching will not happen anytime?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Already tried searching manually, but it takes forever & my hands are getting crampy :(

Yeah, finding results can take forever when you're looking for good IVs haha. Despite both not giving you anything, I'd just stick with the capture tab and let it churn for a while.

"Anytime" is a bit strong, but I have no idea how long it may be nor how high up it's on the dev's priority list. Even it if does come to fruition, it would only be a convenience since you can do everything without it, just with a bit more manual effort (edit: in case you're worried it can't be done now)

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Yeah, the Dev has completely stopped working on reporter (bar bugfixes and merging pull requests), and i remember him saying that the gen 5 code was too messy to try and fix, and that he'd be rewriting it from scratch in pokefinder.
If the resources that ShinyFinder linked don't work for you, I made a spreadsheet calculator a few years ago to help out with dream radar abuse on reporter. Alternatively, I have a friend with PPRNG who often runs dream radar seeds for me, so if you PM/VM me your parameters, the spreads/natures that you want and the mons that you want them on then I'd be happy to get him to find you some seeds.

Hello i have some troubleshooting regarding 5th gen raoming rng, i play movie like usual and whatever i do it display this seed:

F40A41801C810216

I try to hit this seed with RNG Reporter and Desmume 09.10 dev:

2A406031A90BB40C

But i can't!!! I have calibrate my profile like Pokerng says but nothing works please help me!

Do i have to change of emulator? DO i have to change some settings? Thanks

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I can't speak to the emulator or settings, but if you hit a seed successfully in the past, then you should be able to hit it now with the same emu. Double-check that you're using the correct date/time and pressing the keypresses (think those are still a thing on an emulator). Make sure you don't turn on the C-gear as well. I suppose it's also possible that the Lua is just displaying the wrong seed. That could be checked by capturing the roamer and comparing its IVs to the ones listed for the seed displayed (F40A41801C810216) via the main window (Method: Gen 5 IVs (Standard Seed), Encounter Type: Roaming Pokemon).

You might also try seeing if that seed is listed among the adjacents. You can check that from the main window via 5th Gen Tools > Adjacent Seed Tool. Enter the info for the seed you are trying to hit and see if the other one appears in the list of results. It doesn't always work, but that might let you know if you're off by a second or two.

There very well could be an underlying issue with the Lua script/emu version, but I'm afraid I'm not sure. Those possible issues aside, missing a seed usually boils down to wrong date/time/keypresses/parameters.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Expanding on the above, it would be a good idea to ensure that "Enable Advanced Bus-Level Timing" is checked and "Use Dynamic Recompiler" is unchecked in Config -> Emulation Settings. Only thing that I could think of that may affect the seeding of an emu other than what SF mentioned above.

Hey I'm looking for some help/info on RNG'ing in Gen 5 B2. I have correctly input all information into RNGreporter and I've found my timer0 and hitting my correct seed but I'm looking for a shiny and the seed I'm hitting should be shiny so I'm assuming the PID is not correct as nature/IV spread is. I can't seem to find any information on how to work through this. Thanks

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hey I'm looking for some help/info on RNG'ing in Gen 5 B2. I have correctly input all information into RNGreporter and I've found my timer0 and hitting my correct seed but I'm looking for a shiny and the seed I'm hitting should be shiny so I'm assuming the PID is not correct as nature/IV spread is. I can't seem to find any information on how to work through this. Thanks
Hi! Well, without going on too much information, it seems like your SID isn't correct. IIrc (been a while) I believe there is also a bug in 9.96.5 with some shiny frames that says they're shiny but aren't (sync frames I think). If that's the case try a different seed. Could also be that you're not advancing the PID frame.

If nothing there seems to help: What are you after, how are you verifying your seed, what is your seed, what is your TID/SID, what are you doing in game? If you still can't get it I'll try to take a look.

edit: Actually that bug is a shiny frame that's supposed to be synch, but isn't (I was close :P). Either way, trying a different seed may help.

Last edited:
Hi! Well, without going on too much information, it seems like your SID isn't correct. IIrc (been a while) I believe there is also a bug in 9.96.5 with some shiny frames that says they're shiny but aren't (sync frames I think). If that's the case try a different seed. Could also be that you're not advancing the PID frame.

If nothing there seems to help: What are you after, how are you verifying your seed, what is your seed, what is your TID/SID, what are you doing in game? If you still can't get it I'll try to take a look.

edit: Actually that bug is a shiny frame that's supposed to be synch, but isn't (I was close :P). Either way, trying a different seed may help.
Thanks you I’ve actually tried multiple different seeds and changed my timer0 and I’m still getting the exact same Pokemon I want IV/Nature and I used an AR to check my SID and had it checked by someone else TID 44338 SID 58972.

I’ve tried multiple different seeds but I feel the PID side is where I’m failing but I can’t figure out where, I’ve looked on YouTube and followed the instructions but it’s not shiny. I can’t get the seed if you can tell me anything from that. Thanks for the response.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks you I’ve actually tried multiple different seeds and changed my timer0 and I’m still getting the exact same Pokemon I want IV/Nature and I used an AR to check my SID and had it checked by someone else TID 44338 SID 58972.

I’ve tried multiple different seeds but I feel the PID side is where I’m failing but I can’t figure out where, I’ve looked on YouTube and followed the instructions but it’s not shiny. I can’t get the seed if you can tell me anything from that. Thanks for the response.
I'm thinking it's a procedural issue, but what version of the RNG Reporter are you using? I'm afraid that without more specifics (i.e. the answers to my other questions) we can't really help further. For example, a screenshot of your windows (time finder and main) would help so we can see all of the info about what you're after and what you got. A description of what you actually got would be helpful as well, though I gather it's a non-shiny version but correct otherwise.

I'm thinking it's a procedural issue, but what version of the RNG Reporter are you using? I'm afraid that without more specifics (i.e. the answers to my other questions) we can't really help further. For example, a screenshot of your windows (time finder and main) would help so we can see all of the info about what you're after and what you got. A description of what you actually got would be helpful as well, though I gather it's a non-shiny version but correct otherwise.
Okay so an up date I found the shiny but it was not on the correct frame it was off by 5 now is there anyway to resolve that or do you think it will always be off by 5? It’s so confusing.

Seed/BA42B0B61E06700A
PID/5CC717AB
Frame 50

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Okay so an up date I found the shiny but it was not on the correct frame it was off by 5 now is there anyway to resolve that or do you think it will always be off by 5? It’s so confusing.

Seed/BA42B0B61E06700A
PID/5CC717AB
Frame 50
Well, you're making progress at least.

Ok, so it looks like you're after a Stationary Pokemon. I'm not sure where you're getting off by 5 from, but make sure you have the "Black White 2?" box checked in the main window before generating your results. It appears your starting frame is on 49, and your shiny on frame 50. That means you'll need to advance the frame by 1 by looking at Chatot's summary page (assuming it has a recorded custom Chatter), and then interact with your Pokemon. If you're immediately interacting with it when you start the game and are off by 5 frames, that means there are NPCs around. The NPCs mess with your frame, and are advancing you past your target.

If there are NPCs, you'll need to find a new seed with a shiny frame that's higher (like 60 or so). Immediately open the menu in game, advance the frame with Chatters to your target frame, close the menu and spam A to interact with your Pokemon. You'll probably miss your target by a few frames. Subtract the number you missed it by from how many chatters you just did, and try again doing the new number of chatters. So if you are 5 frames after your target, do 5 fewer chatters next time.

To answer your question, if you keep doing the exact same thing, you'll keep getting the exact same results.

Here's a quick guide assuming you're after a stationary Pokemon
Open up the 5th gen time finder, and select your profile from the dropdown. Set the method to "IVs (Standard Seed)" and encounter type to "Stationary Pokemon". Enter the month(s) and year you want to search over, and set the min/max frame to 1/1 (this is your IV frame, which is different than the frame that has the shiny/nature). Enter the IVs you want, as well as the nature, and check the nearby shiny frames checkbox to search for shiny frames. Set the max number of advances you'd like to have to do. Generate the results.

Find a seed you want, and make note of the frame column. Right click on the seed, and copy it to the clipboad.

In the main window, select a method of Gen 5 PIDRNG and encounter type of stationary Pokemon (enter the synch nature you're using, if any). Paste in the seed into the seed field. On the right-hand side, select the Black White 2? box and the memory link option, if applicable. Hit the "Calculate initial Pidrng frame button", then generate your results.

Your target frame (the frame in the time finder) minus the starting frame (the number that appears in the starting frame field after clicking the calc initial PIDRNG frame button) is the number of chatters you'll have to do, assuming there's nothing around you like weather or NPCs. Hit your seed, advance those number of frames by checking your Chatot-with-a-custom-chatter summary, and collect your shiny.

If there are NPCs around that are messing with your frame, do the procedure I described above outside the spoiler and try again.

edit: by NPCs I mean NPCs with erratic movements. Also make sure to save in front of the mon you're after, since walking will likely advance your frames.

Last edited:
Well, you're making progress at least.

Ok, so it looks like you're after a Stationary Pokemon. I'm not sure where you're getting off by 5 from, but make sure you have the "Black White 2?" box checked in the main window before generating your results. It appears your starting frame is on 49, and your shiny on frame 50. That means you'll need to advance the frame by 1 by looking at Chatot's summary page (assuming it has a recorded custom Chatter), and then interact with your Pokemon. If you're immediately interacting with it when you start the game and are off by 5 frames, that means there are NPCs around. The NPCs mess with your frame, and are advancing you past your target.

If there are NPCs, you'll need to find a new seed with a shiny frame that's higher (like 60 or so). Immediately open the menu in game, advance the frame with Chatters to your target frame, close the menu and spam A to interact with your Pokemon. You'll probably miss your target by a few frames. Subtract the number you missed it by from how many chatters you just did, and try again doing the new number of chatters. So if you are 5 frames after your target, do 5 fewer chatters next time.

To answer your question, if you keep doing the exact same thing, you'll keep getting the exact same results.

Here's a quick guide assuming you're after a stationary Pokemon
Open up the 5th gen time finder, and select your profile from the dropdown. Set the method to "IVs (Standard Seed)" and encounter type to "Stationary Pokemon". Enter the month(s) and year you want to search over, and set the min/max frame to 1/1 (this is your IV frame, which is different than the frame that has the shiny/nature). Enter the IVs you want, as well as the nature, and check the nearby shiny frames checkbox to search for shiny frames. Set the max number of advances you'd like to have to do. Generate the results.

Find a seed you want, and make note of the frame column. Right click on the seed, and copy it to the clipboad.

In the main window, select a method of Gen 5 PIDRNG and encounter type of stationary Pokemon (enter the synch nature you're using, if any). Paste in the seed into the seed field. On the right-hand side, select the Black White 2? box and the memory link option, if applicable. Hit the "Calculate initial Pidrng frame button", then generate your results.

Your target frame (the frame in the time finder) minus the starting frame (the number that appears in the starting frame field after clicking the calc initial PIDRNG frame button) is the number of chatters you'll have to do, assuming there's nothing around you like weather or NPCs. Hit your seed, advance those number of frames by checking your Chatot-with-a-custom-chatter summary, and collect your shiny.

If there are NPCs around that are messing with your frame, do the procedure I described above outside the spoiler and try again.

edit: by NPCs I mean NPCs with erratic movements. Also make sure to save in front of the mon you're after, since walking will likely advance your frames.
Thank you that has helped a lot. Do you know anyone that would help me check my SID? I want to make sure it’s correct.

I’m trying to rng shiny wild Pokemon on my Black but it’s not working.

https://ibb.co/khRAoH
https://ibb.co/nDkgvx

Can anyone see anything wrong? I haven’t released the roamer yet.

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thank you that has helped a lot. Do you know anyone that would help me check my SID? I want to make sure it’s correct.

I’m trying to rng shiny wild Pokemon on my Black but it’s not working.

https://ibb.co/khRAoH
https://ibb.co/nDkgvx

Can anyone see anything wrong? I haven’t released the roamer yet.
What does 'not working' mean in this context? What results did you get when you attempted (wrong Pokémon, wrong frame, wrong nature, wrong IVs, etc.)? How did you confirm your seed? How did you confirm your advancements (chatot for example)?

What does 'not working' mean in this context? What results did you get when you attempted (wrong Pokémon, wrong frame, wrong nature, wrong IVs, etc.)? How did you confirm your seed? How did you confirm your advancements (chatot for example)?
I’ve checked and my SID is infact correct.

What I’m going is selecting all the months, leaving min/max frame at 1, Method is Ivs (standard seed), wild Pokemon, encounter is any, max shiny frame is 300x ticked search for nearby shiny, select the seed I want, type the year time exactly as it is into my DS lite, and the seconds on eon timer. Paste seed into Reporter, calculate initial pidrng, method gen 5 pidrng, encounter wild Pokemon, generate see how many frames away. Turn on ds count down, no key presses, chatot pitch do not match and Pokemon does not have correct iv or nature.

This only happens when I’m looking for a shiny, so I’ve had someone verify and it was correct.

I’ve successfully done stationary rng on Black2.

Does it sound like I’m doing something wrong?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I’ve checked and my SID is infact correct.

What I’m going is selecting all the months, leaving min/max frame at 1, Method is Ivs (standard seed), wild Pokemon, encounter is any, max shiny frame is 300x ticked search for nearby shiny, select the seed I want, type the year time exactly as it is into my DS lite, and the seconds on eon timer. Paste seed into Reporter, calculate initial pidrng, method gen 5 pidrng, encounter wild Pokemon, generate see how many frames away. Turn on ds count down, no key presses, chatot pitch do not match and Pokemon does not have correct iv or nature.

This only happens when I’m looking for a shiny, so I’ve had someone verify and it was correct.

I’ve successfully done stationary rng on Black2.

Does it sound like I’m doing something wrong?
The screenshots look fine, thanks. The process is the same as BW2, so if you were able to do that, you shouldn't really have a problem with Black.

Not getting your IVs means you didn't hit your seed (unless you're walking instead of sweet scenting, in which case you may be advancing the frame), which would be regardless of your shiny target. The most likely issue is timer0 trolling, but you may have also missed your seed because you didn't recalibrate from Black 2 (your parameters are different in Black) or you're starting your game at the wrong time. I will say you don't really need the eon timer: You only need to be accurate to the second, so given a DS lite you'd likely be fine with just pressing A to start the game on the DS menu 1 second before your seed time (here, 5 seconds after the minute). You said you're entering the time exactly as it says into your DS. You'd want to set the time at least a minute before so that you can actually start your game 5 seconds after 00:42. Note that I'm assuming your delay is 1 second, but use whatever value you got from calibration.

If you think it could be timer0 trolling, you can use the adjacent seed tool (main window > 5th Gen tools > Adjacent Seed Tool) to check the Timer0s on either side of the one in your profile. The information you need to enter is the same as the info for your seed from the Time Finder. Using that tool may tell you if your timer0 was wrong, or you're starting at the wrong seconds.

The screenshots look fine, thanks. The process is the same as BW2, so if you were able to do that, you shouldn't really have a problem with Black.

Not getting your IVs means you didn't hit your seed (unless you're walking instead of sweet scenting, in which case you may be advancing the frame), which would be regardless of your shiny target. The most likely issue is timer0 trolling, but you may have also missed your seed because you didn't recalibrate from Black 2 (your parameters are different in Black) or you're starting your game at the wrong time. I will say you don't really need the eon timer: You only need to be accurate to the second, so given a DS lite you'd likely be fine with just pressing A to start the game on the DS menu 1 second before your seed time (here, 5 seconds after the minute). You said you're entering the time exactly as it says into your DS. You'd want to set the time at least a minute before so that you can actually start your game 5 seconds after 00:42. Note that I'm assuming your delay is 1 second, but use whatever value you got from calibration.

If you think it could be timer0 trolling, you can use the adjacent seed tool (main window > 5th Gen tools > Adjacent Seed Tool) to check the Timer0s on either side of the one in your profile. The information you need to enter is the same as the info for your seed from the Time Finder. Using that tool may tell you if your timer0 was wrong, or you're starting at the wrong seconds.
I’ve checked the timer0 and I’m constantly getting the same one c7c and I’m using the correct countdown but nothing matches my frame/seed/iv/nature/chatot with what I’m getting when I use sweet scent and I’m not walking either. It’s more frustrating because I mastered it on my black 2 and it was a breeze then so I can’t see what I’m doing wrong here.

Mod edit: See rules in OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno if this is the right thread, if that's not, I apologize in advance.
I'm going to try to RNG in Pokémon Moon, more specifically for legendaries and events, and I have some question before starting:
1)The seed calibration using the clock in the main menu has to be done only once or I must calibrate each time I'm trying to get the frame for a pokémon?
2)It is necessary to know the SID to perform RNG correctly?
Thanks in advance!

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Dunno if this is the right thread, if that's not, I apologize in advance.
I'm going to try to RNG in Pokémon Moon, more specifically for legendaries and events, and I have some question before starting:
1)The seed calibration using the clock in the main menu has to be done only once or I must calibrate each time I'm trying to get the frame for a pokémon?
2)It is necessary to know the SID to perform RNG correctly?
Thanks in advance!
Not quite the right thread, this one is specifically for gen 5 stuff. Try this one next time.
1) Your seed changes every time you SR/start the game. This means you'll need to recalibrate each and every attempt, as well as find a new target seed.
2) SID is not necessary, but if you're looking for Shinies then you'll need your TSV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)