5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

If I remember correctly (and I may well be wrong here, it was a while ago that I did it), you can calibrate the game much like you would for regular RNG - just stand in the grass, Sweet Scent, and determine it's IVs, then plug it into the 'DS Parameters Finder' on RNG Reporter to get your Timer0. See here for how to do that, if you are not familiar.
Yeah I am not very far in the game to be able to do that super reliably. I was hoping to do the Unova Link Calibration which is a lot simpler and works at any point in the game but it seems RNG Reporter is bugged for that. I'll try PPRNG once I can grab my wife's macbook and if that doesn't work I'll just advance the dang game. Lol. Thanks again. =)

Update: Used the wife's Mac to try to calibrate via the Unova Link method and literally didn't once get a successful attempt at calibration. Seconds were always way off and any time I got down to 1 result I would do another spin to see if the result would stay and it wouldn't. I guess this method just doesn't work on either RNG Reporter or PPRNG. Time to advance the damn cart so I can sweet scent. Sigh.

New guy here, sorry if I'm doing it wrong but I have a very specific question that I can't find any answer to.
I'm attempting to calibrate white 2, by catching and IV checking Reshiram. I know this is a bit of a nightmare but I have been able to rng for a perfect Kyurem from white so I have a little bit of an idea. If I'm not wrong the main difference between white and white 2 is calibration difficulty regarding Timer0. So after a dozen calibration attempts I started work down the most likely candidates for Timer0 and trial and error it. I'm able to hit seeds very consistently but can't find the right ones lol.

So for the very first time I got good results.

I was trying to hit

ATTEMPTING SEED- ED01C9C29AD789EC ****10F5**** 10/10/14 09:01:38

Instead I hit the seed right before it in the adjacent seeds tool

ACTUAL SEED HIT-D68D82291AB7386E ****10F4**** 10/10/14 09:01:38

I'm very confused because even though they are right next to each other they are different Timer0. Since I hit a seed with Timer0 10F4 does that mean that I should use that? Or since I got one close to 10F5 should I use that?
I feel like I'm so close but I'm not sure what to do. Using Timer0 of 10F4 got me garbage results.

TLDR; Am over looking over something really simple/ am I close OR is this a fluke and should I go back and do a much more through IV check to get a consistent Timer0?
Any help appreciated , stay awesome Smogon

...Sorry I guess I solved my own problem I just had to give it a few more tries. I successfully acquired a flawless Reshiram. This has me really confused about what the Timer0 is. I thought it was static, like if my carts timer0 is 10f5 how am i hitting seeds with timer0 value of 10f4 and 10f6. Is there somewhere I can go to do in depth reading about these values and what they represent?

...Sorry I guess I solved my own problem I just had to give it a few more tries. I successfully acquired a flawless Reshiram. This has me really confused about what the Timer0 is. I thought it was static, like if my carts timer0 is 10f5 how am i hitting seeds with timer0 value of 10f4 and 10f6. Is there somewhere I can go to do in depth reading about these values and what they represent?
To put it simply, it's a variable that you cannot control at all. You have to hope you hit the right Timer0 for your target seed.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
And especially with BW2, the Timer0 is very hard to hit. In BW, you'll get the right Timer0 9 out of 10 tries, BW2 maybe 1 out of 5.

Hello guys, I recently got a copy of Pokemon Black 2. I'm planning to get some shiny pokemon abusing the RNG (maybe a starter) but definitely some legendaries. I've followed the guide of Unova Link Calibration and I think I've found my vcount, frame, Timer0 range, etc.

I'm planning to RNG the ID to get shinies. But how do I find out what shiny spreads has each TID/SID?
So then I can proceed to choose a TID/SID to start RNGing.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello guys, I recently got a copy of Pokemon Black 2. I'm planning to get some shiny pokemon abusing the RNG (maybe a starter) but definitely some legendaries. I've followed the guide of Unova Link Calibration and I think I've found my vcount, frame, Timer0 range, etc.

I'm planning to RNG the ID to get shinies. But how do I find out what shiny spreads has each TID/SID?
So then I can proceed to choose a TID/SID to start RNGing.
As far as I know, any TID/SID combo can give any shiny spread, so just pick one that you like (my White2 ID is currently 01337, for example, and I've had 00000 in the past as well). You just have to tick the "Search for nearby Shiny Frames" box while you're searching for seeds, and be aware that you WILL need to use Keypresses and possibly search through several years.
And good luck to you if you decide to do starter abuse XD The only way you have to advance frames is by saving, so it can be very time consuming.

Guys, I need some assistance in RNGing a Vulpix Hidden Grotto in Gen 5.

I successfully got the Vulpix to appear, and have saved it. Next is to RNG the nature and IV's. After I get it to appear, can I just generate a totally new seed for IV's and nature and all that jazz, just like a stationary encounter?

Thanks!

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Guys, I need some assistance in RNGing a Vulpix Hidden Grotto in Gen 5.

I successfully got the Vulpix to appear, and have saved it. Next is to RNG the nature and IV's. After I get it to appear, can I just generate a totally new seed for IV's and nature and all that jazz, just like a stationary encounter?

Thanks!
Exactly! Just remember that the gender won't change after it's generated and it can't be shiny.

edit: The steps to RNG it are like a stationary, but there are a few nuances, as described here.
edit2: semantics hard

Last edited:
I have some question regarding the same topic as iStratos
I want to capture a shiny pokemon in my white version. My question is:

Is the best way to put the IV frame to 1(min)-1(max)?
Or in general which is the best setting to get your shiny PID frame + IV frame?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I have some question regarding the same topic as iStratos
I want to capture a shiny pokemon in my white version. My question is:

Is the best way to put the IV frame to 1(min)-1(max)?
Or in general which is the best setting to get your shiny PID frame + IV frame?
You will get more results if you make the max frame greater than 1, but the RNG becomes significantly harder depending on what your after (i.e. if there are NPCs, if you're going for say Terrakion in a cave with wild Pokemon, etc). I just about always keep the min/max IV frame set to 1 because, although it'll take longer to find seeds (aside: if you search enough years, you will find them), it'll make my life easier down the road.

So, I'd keep the min/max IV frame set to 1 and put in the max number of shiny advances your willing to do (I usually keep it at 150, but that's lazy compared to some :P). The more keypresses you use, the more likely it is to find seeds. So I'd also recommend searching on None-3 keypresses for each year.

Aside 2: If you're after something like hex flawless + shiny, don't be surprised if nothing shows up for all keypresses and every month in a year. Just pick another year and keep at it; it'll show up eventually.

Hi. I have a question about the RNG process. I've been able to successfully RNG abuse a shiny landorus in Pokemon Black copy. Now if I restart the game; do I need to re-do the calibration in RNG reporter in order to RNG abuse a new one? Or are the parameters non-dependant on the game save.

Thanks in advance for the reply. Also, english isn't my native language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes.

Hi. I have a question about the RNG process. I've been able to successfully RNG abuse a shiny landorus in Pokemon Black copy. Now if I restart the game; do I need to re-do the calibration in RNG reporter in order to RNG abuse a new one? Or are the parameters non-dependant on the game save.

Thanks in advance for the reply. Also, english isn't my native language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes.
Calibration is based on cart, not file, so if you reset the file you don't need to recalibrate or anything.

I'm currently trying to RNG Movie14 Victini because I never picked it up from the delivery man in Black and I wanted to know if the Encounter Type I should use is Wondercard or GLAN Wondercard. This is my first time trying RNG Wondercard/Event Pokémon so I apologize for the newbie-ness.

I'm currently trying to RNG Movie14 Victini because I never picked it up from the delivery man in Black and I wanted to know if the Encounter Type I should use is Wondercard or GLAN Wondercard. This is my first time trying RNG Wondercard/Event Pokémon so I apologize for the newbie-ness.
Genderless goes under regular wondercard along with any event that doesn't have a fixed gender, anything that does have a fixed gender is GLAN.

I'm trying to test out RNGing in Black 2 and I have set up my profile for it in RNG Reporter. My first project/test right now is catching a flawless/near flawless Timid Riolu, but for some reason I keep getting inconsistent results for when I use and don't use Chatter Pitches. Is Floccesy Ranch an area where the moving NPCs are an issue that advances the frames to places you don't want it to or should I retry setting up my DS parameters?

I'm trying to test out RNGing in Black 2 and I have set up my profile for it in RNG Reporter. My first project/test right now is catching a flawless/near flawless Timid Riolu, but for some reason I keep getting inconsistent results for when I use and don't use Chatter Pitches. Is Floccesy Ranch an area where the moving NPCs are an issue that advances the frames to places you don't want it to or should I retry setting up my DS parameters?
With BW2, there's so many timer0s it's really hard to consistently hit the timer0 you want, so you could hit the time perfectly but the timer0 screws you over. And there may be one or two wnpcs around, so try hitting your seed and immediately sweet scenting to see what frame you're hitting from their movements, then adjust for the frame you want to hit.

I have a strange problem. I want to RNG a shiny pokemon in abundant shrine in my White.
My IV frame is 1 and I always get the desired IVs.
My PID frame is 1272.
I always advance my frame accordingly with chatot sounds.

However, I always get the Pokemon on frame 1275. I tried to sweet scent at different frames (1267, 1269, 1271, 1274, etc.)
I always get the same Pokemon which is a relaxed Chimecho. (I have a modest snychronizer in front)

Can someone please explain this? Do I need to find a different seed?
I definitely can hit specific PID frames at lower frames (like 100)

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I have a strange problem. I want to RNG a shiny pokemon in abundant shrine in my White.
My IV frame is 1 and I always get the desired IVs.
My PID frame is 1272.
I always advance my frame accordingly with chatot sounds.

However, I always get the Pokemon on frame 1275. I tried to sweet scent at different frames (1267, 1269, 1271, 1274, etc.)
I always get the same Pokemon which is a relaxed Chimecho. (I have a modest snychronizer in front)

Can someone please explain this? Do I need to find a different seed?
I definitely can hit specific PID frames at lower frames (like 100)
Could you post the seed info? It might help see what's going on. The Chimecho definitely has the right IVs (i.e. you ran the calcs on it)? If so, that rules out Timer0 trolling. I suppose it's also possible that it's just a simple frame miscount...

I don't recall there being a bug like this, but I suppose finding a new seed could help if only so you don't have to advance the frame 1200 times :P. At the surface, it seems like you're not where you think you are and/or its Timer0 trolling.

Could you post the seed info? It might help see what's going on. The Chimecho definitely has the right IVs (i.e. you ran the calcs on it)? If so, that rules out Timer0 trolling. I suppose it's also possible that it's just a simple frame miscount...

I don't recall there being a bug like this, but I suppose finding a new seed could help if only so you don't have to advance the frame 1200 times :P. At the surface, it seems like you're not where you think you are and/or its Timer0 trolling.
First of all thanks for your answer.

Seed: D5678C329899DACA
Frame: 1
Required Lead: Synchronize
Shiny Frame: 1272
Encounter Slot: 9
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31 31 31 31 31 0
Time: 01.10.54 22:41:07
Timer0: C7B
Keypresses: Start-Up-R

Yeah the Chimecho had the right IVs. It can be that it was a frame miscount.
However, it can't be coincidence that I get always the same Chimecho. I did the frame advancement like 12 times and also tried using sweet scent at different frames. It's always the same Chimecho.

I hope I find another seed with the specific encounter slots which isn't on a frame > 1000. :D

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah it seems like you're getting the Chimecho on 1274 and/or are getting a Chimecho because of a wrong parameter (I'm not sure what you do every time, but the latter is possible if you just see a Chimecho and then SR). There are NPCs in Abundant Shrine iirc, so they would be messing with your frame too. If your timing is just slightly different, it's possible they can push you to the same frame.

Personally, I'd look for a new seed because I wouldn't want to advance the frame that many times lol. In the meantime, you can keep trying to use this seed. I'd be as consistent as possible with when you open/close the menu and then go from there. If you need split-second timing because a few NPCs are right on the verge of moving, you can try resaving your game so that the NPCs start in different positions. You might want to also try aiming for a lower frame to find out how many advances the NPCs are doing (often called finding your Shifted Starting Frame, SSF). Once you know that number, you can be consistent in your timing and adjust to your actual desired frame.

I'm having a bit of trouble with calibration. I went through all the steps, synchronized my DS to an external clock, Sweet Scented, and checked the IVs of the Pokemon I encountered, but when I search for the parameters, it always comes back with zero results.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I'm having a bit of trouble with calibration. I went through all the steps, synchronized my DS to an external clock, Sweet Scented, and checked the IVs of the Pokemon I encountered, but when I search for the parameters, it always comes back with zero results.
If this is for BW2, you can try Unova Link Calibration.

Are you putting in the correct time you push A to boot the game? Are you sure your DS is set to the right date/24 hour time (it happens)? What's the level of the Pokemon you're capturing...i.e. do you have a fine enough range on the IVs? Have you tried widening your search parameters? I've found that it also sometimes helps (could be placebo) to hard reset (power cycle) your DS after you set the time on your 3DS/DSi rather than just backing out of the menu. Again, placebo, but you might want to also try different seconds values if you're just choosing the same one every time.

If this is for BW2, you can try Unova Link Calibration.

Are you putting in the correct time you push A to boot the game? Are you sure your DS is set to the right date/24 hour time (it happens)? What's the level of the Pokemon you're capturing...i.e. do you have a fine enough range on the IVs? Have you tried widening your search parameters? I've found that it also sometimes helps (could be placebo) to hard reset (power cycle) your DS after you set the time on your 3DS/DSi rather than just backing out of the menu. Again, placebo, but you might want to also try different seconds values if you're just choosing the same one every time.
To make sure I was pressing A at the right time, I also searched for values with a +/- of one second. My DS is set to the right date; I'm Sweet Scenting on Route 15, so the Pokemon I'm encountering are around level 50. I haven't tried widening the search parameters or power cycling, but I will if it doesn't work.

Funny thing is, I tried inputting the time I used Sweet Scent instead of the time I started the game, and it worked, coming back with exactly one result. I'm just not sure if it's the right one or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)