A Name Goes Here, too bad I don't have one. VGC17 RMT

Introduction

Hey guys, thought it might be time to finally write this RMT, I've been using this team for a couple weeks now, and it's working pretty great, but I'd like to work out the last kinks before making it ingame. The team focuses around a now fairly common Tailwind core, Drifblim and Lele, and uses other Pokémon like Buzzwole who can take advantage of Tailwind.

The Team

Drifblim @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP/236 Def/12 SpA/236 SpD/12 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Will-o-Wisp
- Haze

Ahh Drifblim, in my opinion, the best Tailwind setter in the format, and a generally amazing Pokémon, because it can single-handedly take on Physical Attackers, Eevee teams, setup sweepers, while still being able to set up Tailwind for the rest of the team, the spread is not mine, but in fact is MisterGX's, but damn is it bulky! Which works great with the team, as very few Pokémon can stop Tailwind from going up, which the rest of the team depends on, Shadow Ball is STAB, and helps Lele take out Pokémon that Lele couldn't KO on its own, (such as Sash Kartana), Tailwind is obvious, and Will-o-Wisp helps greatly against Garchomp, Muk, Celesteela and countless others, Haze may seem like an odd pick for the fourth move, but I find it more helpful than any other option, as it can beat many common "meme" strategies, like Eevee teams.

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 188 HP/124 Def/196 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Attack, 9 Speed
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining the 9 Spe IVs, the reason I have them is Fini, as with lower speed, I can always have my terrain, and I don't really lose much on the other end (only Phero), and I find it to be more than worth it, I generally lead Lele with Drifblim, and Protect turn one unless nothing is a threat to Lele, so that Tailwind can get set up, and then sweep from there. Psychic and Moonblast are obligatory STAB, and I opted for Taunt over Dazzling Gleam because I have some issues with TR. The EVs aren't anything special, they allow me to survive 252+ Muk's Poison Jab, and therefore Poison Jabs from the likes of Pheromosa and Garchomp, the rest is put into SpA because I obviously don't need speed and want as much power as I can get.

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/92 Atk/164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Bulldoze
- Extreme Speed

Arcanine is probably my least favorite member of the team, but I do need him, as he adds Intimidate support, another form of Speed Control, a way of wearing down bulky Special Attackers, and a quick end to Sash Pokémon down to one health, the EVs allow me to take two Lele Psychics in terrain, and also give me some pretty amazing bulk, I put the rest into Attack, and chose Adamant because I wanted as much power as possible, but I am now wondering if that is the best idea. Flare Blitz is STAB, and also helps me deal with Celesteela, Kartana and others, Snarl lets me wear down Special Attackers for teammates, and also allows me to win 1v1s vs. the likes of Koko and Lele, Bulldoze is a great means of speed control in my opinion, and allows some of my other Pokémon like Xurkitree and Buzzwole to outspeed some of the Pokémon that beat them, Extreme Speed and Lele might sound like a bad idea, but it is useful, as I can finish off Sash Pokémon late game, Arcanine also I said part of my secondary lead that I use vs. hard trick room or teams with a bunch of Drifblim/Lele counters, Arcanine/Muk, and the intimidate support he provides helps Muk get off two or even three Curses and then start hitting.

Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP/108 Atk/4 Def/236 SpD/156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Buzzwole. Buzzwole. Buzzwole. Anyway, I'll stop with the subliminal messaging now, but boy is this Pokémon amazing, the power that it has is incredible, and it KOs a lot of Pokémon that give my team troubles, like Garchomp, Porygon2, all the Tapu, and 2HKOs others like Steela with the Z-Move plus Superpower, I have actually found, that with this set plus Tailwind, (survives Fini Moonblast) it counters AFK pretty well, the spread was made for me by a friend, and it's amazing, allowing me to take Fini Moonblast, Koko TBolts and many other important special attacks, the Speed investment allows me to outspeed Fini and some supportive Arcanine outside of Tailwind, and therefore KO both usually, Superpower is STAB, and pairs with Fightinium Z, Ice Punch is for Garchomp, but also lets me hit other Pokémon like Goodra or Mandibuzz when they show up, Poison Jab is for the Tapu, and I found it to be more important than secondary STAB, so I went with it, Protect is needed so I can have an ally take out Pokémon like Lele that would otherwise OHKO Buzzwole.

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP/244 Atk/56 Def/20 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Protect

Okay, so Muk, A.K.A Bye-Bye Tapu, works wonders for the team, as it not only defeats the Tapu, cripples Porygon2, annoys more passive teams with Curse and removes pinch berries from Arcanine and other Muks, but also helps my TR matchup, and is what I generally lead, alongside Arcanine, against Hard TR or teams with a lot of Drifblim/Lele counters, the EVs are an adapted version of PokeAlex's spread with no Speed investment, and make Muk last an annoying long amount of time on the field, while also having very impressive damage output, Gunk Shot might seem like an odd pick due to the accuracy, but I don't find it that bad of a trade off, as it lets me KO Lele and Fini even at -1, Knock Off is secondary STAB, and lets me beat P2 and remove pinch berries, along with other Pokémon that don't need "special attention" from Gunk Shot, Curse lets me boost attack and defense, making me last even longer, and also makes Muk an even better TR counter, Protect is needed so I can avoid being KOed by Z-EQ from the likes of chomp.

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 68 HP/252 SpA/188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Xurkitree is the newest member of my team, and so far, I am liking it a lot, as it completely removes Steela for me, which otherwise gives me issues, along with just being a generally powerful Pokémon, Xurkitree benefits greatly from Tailwind, as it makes up for his generally lackluster speed, allowing him to sweep entire teams sometimes, as I said earlier, Xurkitree is new to the team, and so are the EVs, but the speed investment lets me outspeed ScarfChomp and KO with HP Ice, but aside from that, I am not sold on the EVs. Thunderbolt is STAB, and pairs with Electrium Z, allowing me to KO Steela and many Pokémon bulky enough to take a standard TBolt, Energy Ball is for Gastrodon, as otherwise it completely walls Xurkitree, HP Ice is for Garchomp.

Conclusion

That's all folks, and thanks for reading, I think it's a pretty good team, and would love to hear whatever input you guys have, it's peaked at about 1600, which for me was pretty good, and it is very fun to use. I have a slightly hard matchup vs. other speed control, like TR and Tailwind, but both are more than handleable. Once again, thanks for reading, and I can't wait to hear your input!

Importable

https://pastebin.com/ptx887EB

Edit: upon further consideration, I am wondering if Shoma Honami's Drifblim set would work better on the team, but would like to hear other people's opinions first.

Last edited:
I have been testing your team today and I gotta say it's pretty solid but I found it really difficult to beat other lele + blim compos, especially because your lele is so slow and blim doesn't give that much offensive pressure. You seem to rely too much on getting up tailwind and even though drifblim does get it up pretty easily, opponent's tailwind ruins your strategy completely (as well as trick room as you mentioned).

So first of I would change your xurkitree's EV spread to this:
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
EVs: 52 HP / 236 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Protect

This spread allows you to take EQ from adamant garchomp which could be crucial when tailwind isn't up. Even with 28+ Sp.att it can one shot 4/0 garchomp with hidden power ice so the lack of sp.att EVs isn't that big of a deal. with 52/236 you can also take pretty much any physical non Z-moves like adamant +1 EQ/waterfall from gyarados, adamant LO flarebltz from arcanine etc...

Next i would add tapu fini to your team since muk and buzzwole got burned literally every game I played with your team. Without your muk needing to fear getting burned, it also offers you a way to handle other lele + blim teams. I think arcanine could be the pokemon you replace it with because I don't see much need for arcanine in your team. I think swagger support fini could work since muk and buzzwole love that +2 attack boost. Here's the set:
Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Swagger
- Protect

It's a bulky variant which lets you take leaf blade from kartana or two wild charges from adamant max attack arcanine (3 if berry is counted). This set does underspeed your buzzwole which could be bad while trying to make swagger work but to be honest I didn't find it problematic at all.

That was my serious feed back and here's something not so serious but which I found working with a little amount of testing I did. Basically I replaced lele with bulu and psychic seed on blim to grassy seed. I know that sounds crazy but I think you should at least try it. Here's the whole team:
Drifblim @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 4 HP / 228 Def / 12 SpA / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Protect

Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 108 Atk / 4 Def / 236 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Swagger
- Protect

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 188 HP / 244 Atk / 56 Def / 20 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Protect

The bulu has same speed as your lele for the same reason as your lele. Z-rock slide OHKOs arcanine at neutral. I know intimidate is a thing but the idea is to get the TW up with blim and protect on bulu, then haze and z-rockslide that arcanine to oblivion. Drifblim's EVs are just random, pretty much the same as you had but basically needs much more calcs now beacause you get +1 defense instead of sp.def. I wanted bulu to have pretty much same role as your lele did so I gave it taunt. But why did I want bulu over lele? That's because it seems to fit your team really well as the terrain helps muk and xurk to take ground moves. The team does have 3 Z-moves right now which isn't maybe the best solution but as I said, don't take this suggestion as seriously as the other two :P

Hope I helped.

I have been testing your team today and I gotta say it's pretty solid but I found it really difficult to beat other lele + blim compos, especially because your lele is so slow and blim doesn't give that much offensive pressure. You seem to rely too much on getting up tailwind and even though drifblim does get it up pretty easily, opponent's tailwind ruins your strategy completely (as well as trick room as you mentioned).

So first of I would change your xurkitree's EV spread to this:
Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Protect

This spread allows you to take EQ from adamant garchomp which could be crucial when tailwind isn't up. Even with 28+ Sp.att it can one shot 4/0 garchomp with hidden power ice so the lack of sp.att EVs isn't that big of a deal. with 52/236 you can also take pretty much any physical non Z-moves like adamant +1 EQ/waterfall from gyarados, adamant LO flarebltz from arcanine etc...

Next i would add tapu fini to your team since muk and buzzwole got burned literally every game I played with your team. Without your muk needing to fear getting burned, it also offers you a way to handle other lele + blim teams. I think arcanine could be the pokemon you replace it with because I don't see much need for arcanine in your team. I think swagger support fini could work since muk and buzzwole love that +2 attack boost. Here's the set:
Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Swagger
- Protect

It's a bulky variant which lets you take leaf blade from kartana or two wild charges from adamant max attack arcanine (3 if berry is counted). This set does underspeed your buzzwole which could be bad while trying to make swagger work but to be honest I didn't find it problematic at all.

That was my serious feed back and here's something not so serious but which I found working with a little amount of testing I did. Basically I replaced lele with bulu and psychic seed on blim to grassy seed. I know that sounds crazy but I think you should at least try it. Here's the whole team:
Drifblim @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 4 HP / 228 Def / 12 SpA / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Protect

Buzzwole @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 108 Atk / 4 Def / 236 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Swagger
- Protect

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 188 HP / 244 Atk / 56 Def / 20 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 SpA / 0 Spe
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Curse
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Protect

The bulu has same speed as your lele for the same reason as your lele. Z-rock slide OHKOs arcanine at neutral. I know intimidate is a thing but the idea is to get the TW up with blim and protect on bulu, then haze and z-rockslide that arcanine to oblivion. Drifblim's EVs are just random, pretty much the same as you had but basically needs much more calcs now beacause you get +1 defense instead of sp.def. I wanted bulu to have pretty much same role as your lele did so I gave it taunt. But why did I want bulu over lele? That's because it seems to fit your team really well as the terrain helps muk and xurk to take ground moves. The team does have 3 Z-moves right now which isn't maybe the best solution but as I said, don't take this suggestion as seriously as the other two :P

Hope I helped.
Hi Derith, and thanks for responding, I very much like the Xurkitree spread, because as I said, he was very new to the team and therefore had a simple EV spread, so thanks for that, however I am not entirely sold on Fini, as I personally find burns avoidable as long as you play carefully enough, and I am curious which Pokemon were burning you, as I don't see it too often myself, although Arcanine is not commonly used, I find it to be too helpful when I need it to drop it without careful consideration, but I will think about it more, as it may end up being less important than I thought.

And, on the BuluBlim team, I just might need to try that out on the side.. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)