SM OU A Speedy Victory (Peaked 1762) [Won RMT of the Week 25]

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I am a veteran user who is rejoining Smogon after a hiatus of 2-3 years. Despite being absolutely new to the SM OU metagame, it took me only 1 week to catch up and be proficient in the current OU metagame. As I was previously a decent player, it took only a few days (though, I admit, I played for hours) for me to remove my rustiness and get back into shape. I used others' RMTs to learn the metagame and common threats, and also the newer pokemon from SM.

This is a team that I made myself, as I was also a top tutor for Battling 101's OU in the past -- requiring me to have good teambuilding skills.

Anyway, this is my gift to the community after rejoining Smogon from my hiatus. You all can enjoy my team. I am making a comeback. I might miss WCOP this year due to time constraints, but I will be back into shape for next year. Keep your eyes out.

Peak: 1762 (Then, I started building new teams again for more laboratory testing, so it fell)
1762.png

General Teambuilding Notes:
  • I almost always play offense/bulky offense on the ladder, because winning games are faster, which is crucial to laddering up faster.
  • I almost never play hyper offense because they're too difficult to use, and it's difficult to autopilot with hyper offense teams on the ladder (you need to double switch far too much, which requires THINKING -- difficult to do with 3 games open at the same time)
  • I hate stall. It is total shit.
  • Anyway, this team is a semi-bulky offense team. To win games faster on autopilot. It's quite easy to use, unlike my previous OLD (BW UU) RMT which topped the ladder, it seemed that only I could exclusively use it well.
  • I had no space to put a Hazard remover on my team. Usually, my best teams ignore Hazards and just keep playing.

Team Roster at a glance:

Introduction:

As a few of you veterans might notice, some members of my team are inspired from top-tier BW UU threats, which have actually become underrated monsters in the SM OU metagame. This includes Victini and Azumarill, who are immensely threatening and useful even till date. The lack of Fire and Water resists in the current SM OU metagame means that these BW UU threats can actually become viable deadly sweepers in the SM OU metagame. Not many teams are built to withstand the sheer power of my team, and it is easy to sweep an unprepared team on the ladder, making it easy to boost my ELO (which is usually a long, painful, and tedious process).

Apart from Magearna, my team is entirely off-meta, which made it fun to teambuild and to play on the ladder, as my teambuilding laboratory focused on. You barely see common threats in my team, yet all of them synergize together to form a decent wrecking force that performs well. This teambuilding specialty of mine will be available to my students once I re-signup for Battling 101 in a month or two. The good thing about using off-meta threats is that people commonly do not know what those threats are, and are usually underprepared for them, allowing me to sweep them instantly if they make a mistake or underestimate my Pokemon.

Explanation:

Super Sonic (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Glaciate
- Grass Knot
Victini is actually an underrated threat in the metagame right now, because not many people know about its full demonic power. I hope that after I make this RMT, Victini's usage will increase as more people are aware of its supreme viability. V-Create's 180 Base Power is extremely attractive, and my Scarfed Victini can OHKO frail Pokemon easily, such as Thundurus, Alakazam, Gengar, Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, with a simple V-Create. Additionally, it will 2HKO most unresisted threats, so many will not dare to switch in. Even Tapu Fini gets 3HKOed if I'm not wrong, so basically you can blast her over and over again when you get the chance. It's quite fun. Though, if you have the prediction skills, just Bolt Strike her face.

Basically, Scarf Victini is a monstrous cleaner/sweeper/revenge killer all-in-one. Even after the first Speed Drop, if the opponent is not deleted, a Base 100 Speed will still outspeed most threats, so Victini usually will get to V-Create one more time to confirm the kill.

Previously, I put Glaciate to get rid of annoying trash, specifically Public Enemy Number 1 Zygarde and Public Enemy Number 2 Landorus-T. However, I learned that Glaciate cannot OHKO Zygarde (only 2HKO) and V-Create 2HKOs Defensive Landorus-T anyway (even after the Attack drop). Also, Rain is a huge threat to this team. So, I changed it to Grass Knot recently to OHKO Mega Swampert in Rain (BTW, Scarf Victini OUTSPEEDS Adamant Mega Swampert in Rain. Screw Rain.). You can change it back to Glaciate if you want, but my change is after many hours of verified laboratory testing, so I believe it's better.

FinalHazard (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute​

Contrary Serperior is yet another underrated threat that can sweep teams instantly, once given the chance to Leaf Storm once. Admittedly, the first Leaf Storm is quite weak, but the fact of the matter is that Serperior's extremely high Speed + unstoppable snowballing potential makes it a deadly cleaner and sweeper in one. You may see similarities to Victini in the fact that I like to compress roles in my teambuilding, this is one of my positive attributes. Serperior's bulk is also quite decent, so it can sponge some weak attacks from trolls who try to revenge kill you.

Anyway, using Serperior is straightforward. It is my main Ground Resist, to answer to Zygarde and Landorus-T's Earthquake/Thousand Arrow Spams. If they switch out, Serperior will get a free +2 and huge damage on the opponent.

Don't forget that you have Dragon Pulse for coverage and neutral damage. It has 100% Accuracy, unlike Leaf Storm's 90% Accuracy.

One common matchup that you (and I myself) might mess up against is Mimikyu vs Serperior. Don't forget that Mimikyu is Fairy-type, so you will need to Hidden Power Fire to break the Disguise, then Leaf Storm (and hope it hits). Don't try to Dragon Pulse it, it would be a mistake.

Don't forget that Dragon Pulse exists so that you can kill Zygarde with it at x2/x3.

Substitute is a great move to avoid annoying tricks like Toxic/Will-O-Wisps. It also makes spamming safer. Sometimes, if you are in a pinch, and the opponent is locked into a very missable attack (Fire Blast, for example), spamming Substitute can give you the tiny bit of help to help Serperior comeback and for you to clutch-win the game. Oh, I almost forgot, Substitute helps you tank Scald spams from stuff like Toxapex

Wisp (Nihilego) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic Spikes

Well, my team is an offense team, so of course we have to have a Stealth Rock setter... somewhere. Ironically though, I don't usually lead with Nihilego; most of the time I lead with Victini to U-turn or to get a free V-Create at the start of the game, crippling something of theirs.

Stealth Rocks are great to stop teams with Charizard, Mega Pinsirs, Volcarona, and the like. But mainly, I don't usually use Nihilego much -- just setup Toxic Spikes (it's really helpful) and Stealth Rock, and let it die.

Hidden Power Ice is great -- sometimes cheeky opponents will try to send in Zygarde or Landorus-T against Nihilego. Unfortunately, hitting them with a Hidden Power Ice coming off that huge Special Attack stat will permanently cripple their Pokemon and definitely not tanking anymore hits throughout the match. I don't need Sludge Wave much, since this is a suicide lead.

Sometimes, Nihilego can clean with Beast Boost, by spamming Power Gem. Every time, it will get its Special Attack boosted. It's quite funny when that happens, because RIP opponent.

Perfect Chaos (Garchomp-Mega) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Well, I had extra space for a Mega, so why not? Some people were joking about meme-ing my Mega Garchomp when I won an OU Tournament in Showdown's OU room, but Mega Chomper is 100% serious business. That sky-high Attack stat was top-tier back in XY (of course, with SM's even more insane power creep, it is less than Kartana and Hoopa-U, sadly). I love that Attack and bulk. Since my Chomper does not need to do the perfunctory job of setting up Stealth Rock, I can dedicate this bad boy 100% to offense.

Mega Garchomp's Sand Force ability allows me to sweep Sand teams very easily, especially considering the rising usage of Mega Tyranitar these days. Garchomp itself has high speed, although unfortunately Mega Garchomp's speed is lower, it is still a good stat. After a Swords Dance, if all the opponent's remaining Pokemon are slower, it's pretty much GG.

One common hilarious matchup you will see, is opponents switching in their Tapu Bulu into my lovely Chomper. Do not fear, as a +2 Fire Fang will cleanly OHKO Tapu Bulu. Unless Fire Fang misses (95% accuracy), then your cover is blown. Oops.

Because of the extremely high Zygarde threat level, most teams have their Ground Resist in the form of Grass-types: Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, or even Ferrothorn. Unfortunately for them, Mega Garchomp is a new kind of threat, with a +2 Fire Fang cleanly OHKOing all except Physically Defensive Tangrowth (with Rocky Helmet), which will eat a hefty 80%. If you weaken it correctly and/or have full hazards up, even that is OHKO-ed. Mega Garchomp is definitely a threat you do not want to underestimate.

Also, almost everything in the metagame is 2HKOed after Mega Garchomp is at +2. I can't think of anything relevant that can survive two Earthquakes/Dragon Claws. The only thing that can stop my Chomper is revenge killers.

Even if you don't +2, Mega Garchomp is a great wallbreaker with its naturally high Attack stat.

Omega (Magearna) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
I realised that Magearna was also an insanely underrated threat in the metagame. Unlike the typical Shift Gear or Assault Vest-Fleur Cannon sets, I wanted a wallbreaker that could complement the team yet provide devastating offensive potential at once. Magearna in that regard reminded me of the Porygon2 of BW UU, with an unblockable BoltBeam combination and high stats to boot. Furthermore, Magearna's ability, Soul-Heart, gives her amazing sweeping potential as she can snowball after every kill, making her able to annihilate weakened teams with that deadly coverage. She is able to poke holes into many teams after a single Trick Room. With her bulk, she can even tank a weak Earthquake/Fire attack, set up Trick Room, and sweep opponents.

Trick Room is also great for the team, especially for Azumarill and Mega Garchomp (if the opponent's team has too many fast Pokemon). It also comes in handy against Sticky Web teams or Rain teams.

Usage is quite self-explanatory: Click Trick Room, and click the appropriate coverage move to blast the opponent. You will generally want to spam Ice Beam instead of Aura Sphere (if all are neutral), because keep in mind that Aura Sphere has 80 Base Power only, while Thunderbolt/Ice Beam are 90.

Aura Sphere is great for killing Heatran and Ferrothorn, who would otherwise give Magearna problems.

Sonic (Azumarill) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off​

Last but not least, Godzumarill! Azumarill was one of the most annoying threats in BW UU for me, but now I can upgrade her to OU thanks to the new buffs - Fairy typing, viable Knock Off, and most obviously, the Belly Drum Buff with Normalium Z.

Normalium Z Belly Drum gives Azumarill a Full Heal, THEN applies the Belly Drum Effect. This means that Azumarill can now set up in the face of LITERALLY EVERYTHING that fails to OHKO her. In the past, she could only set up safely against opponents who dealt less than 50% damage to her, but now she can set up on anything which does little damage.

One neat trick I learned was that Azumarill does not need to use Normalium Z all the time. She could Belly Drum normally against a very weak opponent, then proceed to sweep. In the event that she is poisoned (or worse, burned), or facing huge amount of chip damage from trolls such as Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn/Landorus, Fake Out Medicham, et cetera, Azumarill can use Normalium Z Belly Drum for the full heal again (no status heal though, sad), without cutting her HP to 50%.

Yes, Normalium Z Belly Drum gives Azumarill a full heal, if she had already Belly Drummed previously. Keep this is mind, as it is viable for many cool tricks.

Some speed is added to Azumarill so that she can outspeed tanks that do not invest in Speed, and OHKO them. These include Tangrowth, Milotic, Toxapex, Chansey, etc. Anything that is slower than Azumarill will be instantly OHKO-ed with either the appropriate Play Rough (warning: 90% accuracy!) or Knock Off. Anything faster will be OHKOed or dented heavily by Aqua Jet.

Do note that Aqua Jet fails to OHKO bulky Magearna with 252 HP investment (it will deal around 80-90% damage). You may consider using Play Rough, if you are sure that there is no Speed investment (Assault Vest/Trick Room variant), because my lovely Azumarill can outspeed Magearna thanks to the helpful extra Speed.

Threatlist:
Rain (threat level: high): Rain is a very overpowered playstyle this gen, it should be banned! Mega Swampert in Rain gives problems to all teams, including mine, so you need to play very carefully around it, but you can win if you outplay your opponent. Take note that Mega Swampert's Earthquake cannot OHKO Azumarill, so you can use Z-Belly Drum, then Aqua Jet in RAIN to sweep the opponent's team, it's especially effective if the opponent's Water Resist is gone, lol. Also, another option is to use Victini, who outspeeds Adamant Mega Swampert, and use the Grass Knot which I have provided (and highlighted above), so that you can save Azumarill for later

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 240-283 (70.1 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another common problem is Rain Kingdra, who deals 50% to Azumarill with Hydro Pump. Azumarill is the best rain counter, but it can't withstand bombardment from two dangerous Rain sweepers :(

One insurance you can use to protect yourself from broken Rain teams is Magearna's Trick Room, this allows you to counter-outspeed the opponents' Swift Swimmers and make them instant-forfeit when they are dead.

Mega Charizard X (threat level: medium high): Luckily I don't see this often on the ladder. Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X can really give the team problems, especially when it resists all of Victini's moves. Before it sets up, it can be easily stopped, with Serperior's Dragon Pulse, Garchomp's Earthquake, and even Magearna with its Trick Room. However, after it sets up, MegaZard X can be quite problematic, if it's Bulky Roost/WoW or something of the sort. The best bet is to set up Trick Room safely and then use my own Mega Garchomp to revenge kill. Also, set up Stealth Rocks.

Specs Greninja-Ash (threat level: medium): This is a cheeky one. My team can play around Specs Greninja, as I have two Water resists and two Dark resists. However, if it clicks the right move, it will hurt something on my team. Also, although Azumarill resists both its STABs, Greninja also resists Aqua Jet, and Azumarill cannot take multiple high-powered hits. My team can only offensively check it: Victini can hurt it with U-turn and Bolt Strike, and even kill it with V-Create when weakened, but must beware of a Water Shuriken.

Tapu Koko (threat level: medium-low): Koko Krunch is another common OU threat that gives offensive teams problems; it's able to OHKO my unboosted Azumarill and 2HKO the rest of my Pokemon. It also can pivot out of my other answers to it if the opponent switches well. One thing to beware of is that Tapu Koko is not as frail as you might expect: Magearna can only 2HKO it, and Serperior needs a boost in order to OHKO it. Azumarill cannot kill it without its Belly Drum. However, Tapu Koko gets instantly deleted by Victini, which you can take advantage of in many ways. It also does not appreciate Magearna's Trick Room.

Zygarde (threat level: low): Zygarde is one of the tier's top threats, with its Thousand Arrows having no immunities, and huge bulk and Extremespeed making it problematic for many teams to handle. It looks like it would demolish my team on paper, but in practice (or maybe it's because many players on the ladder aren't playing well) it hasn't threatened my team as much as I would think. Serperior is the dedicated Ground-type switch in, taking only a 30% and threatening to boost up with Leaf Storm. Also, Leftovers recovery helps it a lot in this situation. It is also quite funny when Zygardes try to switch into Nihilego and eat a HP Ice to the face. Mega Garchomp also checks it. It is also cool to note that Zygarde can't OHKO Magearna unless it is Banded.

Importable:
Code:
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt

Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Thanks to everyone for reading! Hope you enjoyed this RMT and you find your laddering experience a bit more fun!

Last edited:
Welcome back. Tbh it is a great team. I am not a Pro OU player but I noticed that Automize Fly-Z Celesteela can be a trouble for your team if Magearna is dead, I am not going to suggest you anything for now, Just add that in your threat list. If you see a Celesteela in your opponent team, Then try to save your Magearna from attacks because It is your only answer for AutoSteela. Another threat that I noticed is Volcarona. Try to save your Azumarill from attacks if you see a Volcarona in opp team so you can Aqua Jet and kill Volca later. Just saying because you can be aware of the threats and can play more carefully. I'll try to give a Better rate later. Good team :)

Welcome back. Tbh it is a great team. I am not a Pro OU player but I noticed that Automize Fly-Z Celesteela can be a trouble for your team if Magearna is dead, I am not going to suggest you anything for now, Just add that in your threat list. If you see a Celesteela in your opponent team, Then try to save your Magearna from attacks because It is your only answer for AutoSteela. Another threat that I noticed is Volcarona. Try to save your Azumarill from attacks if you see a Volcarona in opp team so you can Aqua Jet and kill Volca later. Just saying because you can be aware of the threats and can play more carefully. I'll try to give a Better rate later. Good team :)
Victini can revenge kill Volcarona...even at plus + 2 volcarona cannot outshot from full hp. Most Celesteela do not have a full speed investment so also loses to victini. Only kills victini if its the Groundnium z set which is a bit uncommon and a higher than usual speed investment.

Hello, I am a veteran user who is rejoining Smogon after a hiatus of 2-3 years. Despite being absolutely new to the SM OU metagame, it took me only 1 week to catch up and be proficient in the current OU metagame. As I was previously a decent player, it took only a few days (though, I admit, I played for hours) for me to remove my rustiness and get back into shape. I used others' RMTs to learn the metagame and common threats, and also the newer pokemon from SM.

This is a team that I made myself, as I was also a top tutor for Battling 101's OU in the past -- requiring me to have good teambuilding skills.

Anyway, this is my gift to the community after rejoining Smogon from my hiatus. You all can enjoy my team. I am making a comeback. I might miss WCOP this year due to time constraints, but I will be back into shape for next year. Keep your eyes out.

Peak: 1762 (Then, I started building new teams again for more laboratory testing, so it fell)
View attachment 84004

General Teambuilding Notes:
  • I almost always play offense/bulky offense on the ladder, because winning games are faster, which is crucial to laddering up faster.
  • I almost never play hyper offense because they're too difficult to use, and it's difficult to autopilot with hyper offense teams on the ladder (you need to double switch far too much, which requires THINKING -- difficult to do with 3 games open at the same time)
  • I hate stall. It is total shit.
  • Anyway, this team is a semi-bulky offense team. To win games faster on autopilot. It's quite easy to use, unlike my previous OLD (BW UU) RMT which topped the ladder, it seemed that only I could exclusively use it well.
  • I had no space to put a Hazard remover on my team. Usually, my best teams ignore Hazards and just keep playing.

Team Roster at a glance:

Introduction:

As a few of you veterans might notice, some members of my team are inspired from top-tier BW UU threats, which have actually become underrated monsters in the SM OU metagame. This includes Victini and Azumarill, who are immensely threatening and useful even till date. The lack of Fire and Water resists in the current SM OU metagame means that these BW UU threats can actually become viable deadly sweepers in the SM OU metagame. Not many teams are built to withstand the sheer power of my team, and it is easy to sweep an unprepared team on the ladder, making it easy to boost my ELO (which is usually a long, painful, and tedious process).

Apart from Magearna, my team is entirely off-meta, which made it fun to teambuild and to play on the ladder, as my teambuilding laboratory focused on. You barely see common threats in my team, yet all of them synergize together to form a decent wrecking force that performs well. This teambuilding specialty of mine will be available to my students once I re-signup for Battling 101 in a month or two. The good thing about using off-meta threats is that people commonly do not know what those threats are, and are usually underprepared for them, allowing me to sweep them instantly if they make a mistake or underestimate my Pokemon.

Explanation:

Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Glaciate
- Grass Knot
Victini is actually an underrated threat in the metagame right now, because not many people know about its full demonic power. I hope that after I make this RMT, Victini's usage will increase as more people are aware of its supreme viability. V-Create's 180 Base Power is extremely attractive, and my Scarfed Victini can OHKO frail Pokemon easily, such as Thundurus, Alakazam, Gengar, Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, with a simple V-Create. Additionally, it will 2HKO most unresisted threats, so many will not dare to switch in. Even Tapu Fini gets 3HKOed if I'm not wrong, so basically you can blast her over and over again when you get the chance. It's quite fun. Though, if you have the prediction skills, just Bolt Strike her face.

Basically, Scarf Victini is a monstrous cleaner/sweeper/revenge killer all-in-one. Even after the first Speed Drop, if the opponent is not deleted, a Base 100 Speed will still outspeed most threats, so Victini usually will get to V-Create one more time to confirm the kill.

Previously, I put Glaciate to get rid of annoying trash, specifically Public Enemy Number 1 Zygarde and Public Enemy Number 2 Landorus-T. However, I learned that Glaciate cannot OHKO Zygarde (only 2HKO) and V-Create 2HKOs Defensive Landorus-T anyway (even after the Attack drop). Also, Rain is a huge threat to this team. So, I changed it to Grass Knot recently to OHKO Mega Swampert in Rain (BTW, Scarf Victini OUTSPEEDS Adamant Mega Swampert in Rain. Screw Rain.). You can change it back to Glaciate if you want, but my change is after many hours of verified laboratory testing, so I believe it's better.

Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute​

Contrary Serperior is yet another underrated threat that can sweep teams instantly, once given the chance to Leaf Storm once. Admittedly, the first Leaf Storm is quite weak, but the fact of the matter is that Serperior's extremely high Speed + unstoppable snowballing potential makes it a deadly cleaner and sweeper in one. You may see similarities to Victini in the fact that I like to compress roles in my teambuilding, this is one of my positive attributes. Serperior's bulk is also quite decent, so it can sponge some weak attacks from trolls who try to revenge kill you.

Anyway, using Serperior is straightforward. It is my main Ground Resist, to answer to Zygarde and Landorus-T's Earthquake/Thousand Arrow Spams. If they switch out, Serperior will get a free +2 and huge damage on the opponent.

Don't forget that you have Dragon Pulse for coverage and neutral damage. It has 100% Accuracy, unlike Leaf Storm's 90% Accuracy.

One common matchup that you (and I myself) might mess up against is Mimikyu vs Serperior. Don't forget that Mimikyu is Fairy-type, so you will need to Hidden Power Fire to break the Disguise, then Leaf Storm (and hope it hits). Don't try to Dragon Pulse it, it would be a mistake.

Don't forget that Dragon Pulse exists so that you can kill Zygarde with it at x2/x3.

Substitute is a great move to avoid annoying tricks like Toxic/Will-O-Wisps. It also makes spamming safer. Sometimes, if you are in a pinch, and the opponent is locked into a very missable attack (Fire Blast, for example), spamming Substitute can give you the tiny bit of help to help Serperior comeback and for you to clutch-win the game. Oh, I almost forgot, Substitute helps you tank Scald spams from stuff like Toxapex

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic Spikes

Well, my team is an offense team, so of course we have to have a Stealth Rock setter... somewhere. Ironically though, I don't usually lead with Nihilego; most of the time I lead with Victini to U-turn or to get a free V-Create at the start of the game, crippling something of theirs.

Stealth Rocks are great to stop teams with Charizard, Mega Pinsirs, Volcarona, and the like. But mainly, I don't usually use Nihilego much -- just setup Toxic Spikes (it's really helpful) and Stealth Rock, and let it die.

Hidden Power Ice is great -- sometimes cheeky opponents will try to send in Zygarde or Landorus-T against Nihilego. Unfortunately, hitting them with a Hidden Power Ice coming off that huge Special Attack stat will permanently cripple their Pokemon and definitely not tanking anymore hits throughout the match. I don't need Sludge Wave much, since this is a suicide lead.

Sometimes, Nihilego can clean with Beast Boost, by spamming Power Gem. Every time, it will get its Special Attack boosted. It's quite funny when that happens, because RIP opponent.

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Well, I had extra space for a Mega, so why not? Some people were joking about meme-ing my Mega Garchomp when I won an OU Tournament in Showdown's OU room, but Mega Chomper is 100% serious business. That sky-high Attack stat was top-tier back in XY (of course, with SM's even more insane power creep, it is less than Kartana and Hoopa-U, sadly). I love that Attack and bulk. Since my Chomper does not need to do the perfunctory job of setting up Stealth Rock, I can dedicate this bad boy 100% to offense.

Mega Garchomp's Sand Force ability allows me to sweep Sand teams very easily, especially considering the rising usage of Mega Tyranitar these days. Garchomp itself has high speed, although unfortunately Mega Garchomp's speed is lower, it is still a good stat. After a Swords Dance, if all the opponent's remaining Pokemon are slower, it's pretty much GG.

One common hilarious matchup you will see, is opponents switching in their Tapu Bulu into my lovely Chomper. Do not fear, as a +2 Fire Fang will cleanly OHKO Tapu Bulu. Unless Fire Fang misses (95% accuracy), then your cover is blown. Oops.

Because of the extremely high Zygarde threat level, most teams have their Ground Resist in the form of Grass-types: Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, or even Ferrothorn. Unfortunately for them, Mega Garchomp is a new kind of threat, with a +2 Fire Fang cleanly OHKOing all except Physically Defensive Tangrowth (with Rocky Helmet), which will eat a hefty 80%. If you weaken it correctly and/or have full hazards up, even that is OHKO-ed. Mega Garchomp is definitely a threat you do not want to underestimate.

Also, almost everything in the metagame is 2HKOed after Mega Garchomp is at +2. I can't think of anything relevant that can survive two Earthquakes/Dragon Claws. The only thing that can stop my Chomper is revenge killers.

Even if you don't +2, Mega Garchomp is a great wallbreaker with its naturally high Attack stat.

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt
I realised that Magearna was also an insanely underrated threat in the metagame. Unlike the typical Shift Gear or Assault Vest-Fleur Cannon sets, I wanted a wallbreaker that could complement the team yet provide devastating offensive potential at once. Magearna in that regard reminded me of the Porygon2 of BW UU, with an unblockable BoltBeam combination and high stats to boot. Furthermore, Magearna's ability, Soul-Heart, gives her amazing sweeping potential as she can snowball after every kill, making her able to annihilate weakened teams with that deadly coverage. She is able to poke holes into many teams after a single Trick Room. With her bulk, she can even tank a weak Earthquake/Fire attack, set up Trick Room, and sweep opponents.

Trick Room is also great for the team, especially for Azumarill and Mega Garchomp (if the opponent's team has too many fast Pokemon). It also comes in handy against Sticky Web teams or Rain teams.

Usage is quite self-explanatory: Click Trick Room, and click the appropriate coverage move to blast the opponent. You will generally want to spam Ice Beam instead of Aura Sphere (if all are neutral), because keep in mind that Aura Sphere has 80 Base Power only, while Thunderbolt/Ice Beam are 90.

Aura Sphere is great for killing Heatran and Ferrothorn, who would otherwise give Magearna problems.

Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off​

Last but not least, Godzumarill! Azumarill was one of the most annoying threats in BW UU for me, but now I can upgrade her to OU thanks to the new buffs - Fairy typing, viable Knock Off, and most obviously, the Belly Drum Buff with Normalium Z.

Normalium Z Belly Drum gives Azumarill a Full Heal, THEN applies the Belly Drum Effect. This means that Azumarill can now set up in the face of LITERALLY EVERYTHING that fails to OHKO her. In the past, she could only set up safely against opponents who dealt less than 50% damage to her, but now she can set up on anything which does little damage.

One neat trick I learned was that Azumarill does not need to use Normalium Z all the time. She could Belly Drum normally against a very weak opponent, then proceed to sweep. In the event that she is poisoned (or worse, burned), or facing huge amount of chip damage from trolls such as Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn/Landorus, Fake Out Medicham, et cetera, Azumarill can use Normalium Z Belly Drum for the full heal again (no status heal though, sad), without cutting her HP to 50%.

Yes, Normalium Z Belly Drum gives Azumarill a full heal, if she had already Belly Drummed previously. Keep this is mind, as it is viable for many cool tricks.

Some speed is added to Azumarill so that she can outspeed tanks that do not invest in Speed, and OHKO them. These include Tangrowth, Milotic, Toxapex, Chansey, etc. Anything that is slower than Azumarill will be instantly OHKO-ed with either the appropriate Play Rough (warning: 90% accuracy!) or Knock Off. Anything faster will be OHKOed or dented heavily by Aqua Jet.

Do note that Aqua Jet fails to OHKO bulky Magearna with 252 HP investment (it will deal around 80-90% damage). You may consider using Play Rough, if you are sure that there is no Speed investment (Assault Vest/Trick Room variant), because my lovely Azumarill can outspeed Magearna thanks to the helpful extra Speed.

Threatlist:
[Coming Soon]

Importable:
Code:
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Grass Knot

Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Thunderbolt

Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Thanks to everyone for reading! Hope you enjoyed this RMT and you find your laddering experience a bit more fun!

I can always find a rate about someone's team, even if I am wrong or half right. But goddanm... the only thing I don't like is your use of NihileGOD. I hope that's high praise to you. I really love your team. Please don't be mad this isn't a rate. The hours you spent really paid off.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Thank you for your praise! I am glad to hear that you guys appreciate my team! Hope it helps you guys!

Hopefully if you guys choose to copy my team, at least keep the nicknames :D

I'll be signing up as a Tutor for Battling 101 for SM OU soon, do keep a lookout if you guys want to learn more!

Thank you for your praise! I am glad to hear that you guys appreciate my team! Hope it helps you guys!

Hopefully if you guys choose to copy my team, at least keep the nicknames :D

I'll be signing up as a Tutor for Battling 101 for SM OU soon, do keep a lookout if you guys want to learn more!
I will defienetely keep a lookout for that. *cough cough* Put a well played Tapu Koko on your Threatlist *cough*

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Update: I have updated the RMT with my threatlist. Also, fixed a bug where the replays were not displaying correctly.

I'm proud to announce that IronBullet had nominated me for the RMT of the Week Hall of Fame! Wow! It's such an honour! I'm really heartened by being recognised by such a major influence in RMT and on the forums! I really did not expect this.

Thank you all for your support and for the nice praise and comments in this thread! :D

You can take a look at the other teams in the RMT of the Week here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rmt-of-the-week-v6-week-25.3607996/#post-7411900

There is also a voting process, so you can vote for the team which you think is the best.

Hey Metal Sonic, after looking at you team I see that your team has a big weakness to Mega Camerupt. Your only real answer is Azumarill, but even that can barely take sheer force boosted Earth Power ( 252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 274-324 (80.1 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ). You do have Garchomp, but the problem is that Mega Garchomp is not good, and most Camerupts carry either Hp Ice or Hp Grass to counter their weaknesses. Here's the changes I'd recommend.

Surperior --> Mega Venusaur

This change gives you more coverage and more bulk, which can allow you to deal Mega Camerupt better, especially with Thick Fat. It can also set up sun, which can help your Victini in terms of sweeping. here's a set I'd suggest.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder / Synthesis

Next Change: Mega Garchomp --> Regular Chomp / Zygarde

Running Mega Garchomp I think really hinders your team because your mega slot could be used for either a better sweeper, or support. Going Life Orb Chomp allows you to deal more damage than Mega Garchomp, and can allow you to keep Rough Skin, which is better than Sand Veil. But if you don't want regular Chomp, then Zygarde would be the best alternative due to its bulk and setup options. Here are my suggested sets.

If you want reg. Chomp, just keep your current set, but change the stone for Life Orb. Now for Zygarde...

Zygarde @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance / Coil
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Those are my suggestions to maybe make the team better, hope they help.

I would like to notice, stall 6-0es this, so i would try leech seed>D pulse on serp, to at least give you a shot at beating it, as mega chomp can be beaten by either getting statused and outstalled or just killed by skarms counter / clef moonblast, victini is scarf, so it isnt doing damage to pex, and even if you predict their swap and bolt strike, you are gonna die to dugtrio right afterwards, azuma is walled by pex if not at +6, by clef, countered by skarm etc... magearna and serp are just gonna get outstalled by chansey, as it pp stalls moonblast, and nihi just cant rocks up with sableye

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Hey Metal Sonic, after looking at you team I see that your team has a big weakness to Mega Camerupt. Your only real answer is Azumarill, but even that can barely take sheer force boosted Earth Power ( 252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 274-324 (80.1 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO ). You do have Garchomp, but the problem is that Mega Garchomp is not good, and most Camerupts carry either Hp Ice or Hp Grass to counter their weaknesses. Here's the changes I'd recommend.

Surperior --> Mega Venusaur

This change gives you more coverage and more bulk, which can allow you to deal Mega Camerupt better, especially with Thick Fat. It can also set up sun, which can help your Victini in terms of sweeping. here's a set I'd suggest.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder / Synthesis

Next Change: Mega Garchomp --> Regular Chomp / Zygarde

Running Mega Garchomp I think really hinders your team because your mega slot could be used for either a better sweeper, or support. Going Life Orb Chomp allows you to deal more damage than Mega Garchomp, and can allow you to keep Rough Skin, which is better than Sand Veil. But if you don't want regular Chomp, then Zygarde would be the best alternative due to its bulk and setup options. Here are my suggested sets.

If you want reg. Chomp, just keep your current set, but change the stone for Life Orb. Now for Zygarde...

Zygarde @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance / Coil
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Those are my suggestions to maybe make the team better, hope they help.
Dear AustinXX555, thank you for the amazing rate! Certainly, Mega Camerupt is a very scary Pokemon, with a deadly volcano on its back!

But I think that you made my Mega Garchomp sad when you said that it was not good. I think it is crying in a corner right now. It has huge fangs and scary claws and Base 170 Attack to kill Pokemon with. I am sure that after that comment it will be very angry and kill all the Mega Camerupts with its Earthquake because it will get triggered every time it sees a Camerupt.

As for your suggestions, they seem good too, but Mega Venusaur would give the team huge problems against Stall, as it cannot get power boosts from Contrary Leaf Storm. Also, Mega Venusaur does not resist Ground-type attacks, which will be very dangerous for the team because a Zygarde can kill the team very easily by spamming Thousand Waves.

Using Life Orb Chomp versus Mega Garchomp has its own pros and cons. Mega Garchomp has higher natural bulk, but is slower than regular Chomp. Life Orb will also cut 10% from Chomp every attack, which is quite painful. Also, the most important thing is that Mega Garchomp looks scarier and cooler. So, my personal preference is to keep Mega Garchomp.

Thank you for your rate!

--
wheitron, thank you for your comment with regard to stall.

Stall does not 6-0 this; Serp can 2HKO Chansey at full boosts; Chomp can +2 and kill the walls (except clef, which is 2HKOed with regular Earthquake).

Against Stall, it is just based on your skill to set up Belly Drum with Azumarill and kill everything. Azu can OHKO Toxapex with Knock Off after Stealth Rock easily. Just don't be silly and directly set up in front of Pex because it sometimes has Haze. Scald does little damage to Azu, so Azu can kill it even if somehow it survives. But if Azu gets burned, then that's just hax and its too bad. Not the team's fault, though.

Let me know if any other issues are faced and I will gladly address them or add more tips! Thank you!

Dear AustinXX555, thank you for the amazing rate! Certainly, Mega Camerupt is a very scary Pokemon, with a deadly volcano on its back!

But I think that you made my Mega Garchomp sad when you said that it was not good. I think it is crying in a corner right now. It has huge fangs and scary claws and Base 170 Attack to kill Pokemon with. I am sure that after that comment it will be very angry and kill all the Mega Camerupts with its Earthquake because it will get triggered every time it sees a Camerupt.

As for your suggestions, they seem good too, but Mega Venusaur would give the team huge problems against Stall, as it cannot get power boosts from Contrary Leaf Storm. Also, Mega Venusaur does not resist Ground-type attacks, which will be very dangerous for the team because a Zygarde can kill the team very easily by spamming Thousand Waves.

Using Life Orb Chomp versus Mega Garchomp has its own pros and cons. Mega Garchomp has higher natural bulk, but is slower than regular Chomp. Life Orb will also cut 10% from Chomp every attack, which is quite painful. Also, the most important thing is that Mega Garchomp looks scarier and cooler. So, my personal preference is to keep Mega Garchomp.

Thank you for your rate!

--
wheitron, thank you for your comment with regard to stall.

Stall does not 6-0 this; Serp can 2HKO Chansey at full boosts; Chomp can +2 and kill the walls (except clef, which is 2HKOed with regular Earthquake).

Against Stall, it is just based on your skill to set up Belly Drum with Azumarill and kill everything. Azu can OHKO Toxapex with Knock Off after Stealth Rock easily. Just don't be silly and directly set up in front of Pex because it sometimes has Haze. Scald does little damage to Azu, so Azu can kill it even if somehow it survives. But if Azu gets burned, then that's just hax and its too bad. Not the team's fault, though.

Let me know if any other issues are faced and I will gladly address them or add more tips! Thank you!
Prob about this is chomp is geting countered by skarm, and i say not countered in a walling way, and yet in the atacking way lmao, and then clef-duggy-chansey walls everything, cuz chansey+clef does outstall serp, ofc a well played serp can pull it through, i would suggest runing sash ofensive landorus-T over nihi, as it still gets up rocks 100% of the time while keeping em up vs the stall, which does not allow clef to come in too much on leaf storm and most important breaks skarms sturdy, the way chomp can hf

Hello Metal Sonic, I've been trying this team, and so far, it's been walled by Mega Swampert at every turn. First here's Victini: 4 SpA Victini Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 268-316 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and even worse, Victini's Grass Knot in my battles are 80BP. But here's Energy Ball: 4 SpA Victini Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 240-284 (70.3 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. In Rain, Scarf Victini outspeeds Swampert-M, but Serperior doesn't, so even if I U-turn out of there, Serperior gets destroyed before it gets a turn. What should I do?

Hello Metal Sonic, I've been trying this team, and so far, it's been walled by Mega Swampert at every turn. First here's Victini: 4 SpA Victini Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 268-316 (78.5 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and even worse, Victini's Grass Knot in my battles are 80BP. But here's Energy Ball: 4 SpA Victini Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 240-284 (70.3 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. In Rain, Scarf Victini outspeeds Swampert-M, but Serperior doesn't, so even if I U-turn out of there, Serperior gets destroyed before it gets a turn. What should I do?
In this case, you should not use the team. If its really that much of a struggle it means its bad.

Hey there, I just wanted to thank you for posting this team. It gives poor team builders like me a chance to learn the game, and it's a great jumping-off point into the meta. Sure, it may not be perfect, but it's clearly damn good. Far better than anything I could do. So yeah, thanks.

I tried out your team, here are my remarks:
  • That Magearna set is great. It puts tons of work on unprepared teams because of the sheer unpredictability of Magearna, and when it clicks Trick Room it's not unusual to kill 2-3 mons before your opponent finishes you with repeated priority hits or TR runs out. It was also a blast using it. I really miss Fairy STAB on it though.
  • Victini is awesome. Only Toxapex and another few mons are switching on that V-Create, and it adds a lot of pressure to your opponent with U-Turn. Didn't face a Rain team so no opinion on that.
  • Mega Garchomp is a nice wallbreaker, but Fire Fang was a bit underwhelming sometimes. Maybe Fire Blast is better to put good use to that 120 SpAtk? Anyway, it DOES put in work against balance and I must say it surpassed my expectations. (On a second note, Fire Fang at +2 is the ONLY way this team can get past Tangrowth if the opponent has a Heatran in the back. It's a very common and very annoying core to face.)
  • Nihilego is such a nice glue-mon I have no words to describe. The Focus Sash set is great and I can't count the number of Landorus-T, Garchomp and Zygarde I OHKO'ed with an unsuspected HP Ice. Also T-Spikes support is amazing. It's total Magearna bait though, and this team does not have many answers to set-up sweepers, so watch out for that. Anyway, I love this mon.
  • Didn't like Serperior that much. Maybe I didn't utilize it well, but its main role on my run was to take a Ground-type hit and then threaten with Sub/Leaf Storm. Its Speed tier is great though. It also hates Tangrowth.
  • Azumarill is a bit of a mixed bag. Its great offensively but the team does not have many switch-ins to common Scarfers and EQ so that sometimes you have to sack it so that you don't lose, specially against set-up sweepers. The prevalence of Tangrowth on the ladder really deals a blow to its usefulness, and team also struggles to beat the Grass-type if T-Spikes aren't up. Azumarill would perform much better if the team on a whole was bulkier, and IMO is the least important member of the team.

Hey Metal Sonic, you got a very cool team! I really like the team's idea being of supporting your sweepers with Toxic Spikes and it's interesting to see the approach you took to do that. While I do applaud the team and the way it's built; the main problem I see is the use of momentum-killing mons such as Victini and somehow M-Garchomp, making you weak to relatively fast pokemons such as M-Charizard Y and Choice Band Zygarde, while not having a real defensive backbone to help you cover that weakness. Heatran is a particularly big threat to your team, being able to take advantage of Victini, Nihilego and Serperior to do massive damages to your team. Your team is also really annoyed by some defensive pokemons and cores such as Mew and Tangrowth which can wall the majority of your team together. Those weaknesse make your team struggle against several archetypes such as Classic Bulky Offense and Balance builds since your team can't really handle the combination of bulky walls (Mew, Tangrowth, Clefable...) and strong Wallbreakers; but also Rain and Charizard Y + Dugtrio archetypes.

To cover those weaknesses, here are some potential changes that could help you:
  • ->
    | This change gives you some form of defensive utility which can be crucial against threats such as Banded Zygarde and a lot of special attackers such as Greninja and Tapu Koko, being able to reliably switch into them and help you to reset your momentum and limits momentum losses. It gives your team more flexibility since it's easier for you to make doubles against some threats and particularly helps your team against Rain. Tangrowth also helps you to stop or at least weaken Shift Gear Magearna thanks to Earthquake and, in the second case, put it in range of your priority moves. You don't lose too much offensively since it can help vs defensive mons to an extent, being able to Knock Off Mew's Leftovers, opposing Tangrowth's Assault Vest or Chansey's Eviolite on Stall.
  • ->
    | Dual Hazards Greninja is generally a more solid Offensive Toxic Spikes setter/Suicide lead than Nihilego and in this case I think it does fit better in your team, giving you a lot more Offensive presence and, more importantly, pressures most Hazard removers with either it's Ice + Dark coverage (hitting Mew, Zapdos and Latios). It's a really useful pick, being able to threaten most archetypes thanks to its high speed and its coverage. The only real issue with this change is that you lose your only real switch-in to M-Charizard Y but Greninja can still threaten it offensively.
  • ->
    | This change is only optional. The main reason for this change is that it gives you a Rocker since you didn't have one. But Mew also gives you some more defensive backbone, very useful against a lot physical attackers such as M-Medicham and Zygarde. Another option is to make your M-Garchomp a mixed variant with rocks and then keep Magearna but make it a Shift Gear + Calm Mind variant because this variant is a lot more versatile, being able to dismantle both Offensive and Defensive teams with the item Shuca Berry.
  • :
    Grass Knot -> Trick | A minor change but which can be crucial. Trick is a useful move to cripple defensive mons in matchups where you don't need your Choice Scarf or if you don't need it anymore
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

or

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

+

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

• ->
    (Optional)| Optionally, you can go for Scarf Latios over Victini, giving you a more solid way to revenge kill Volcarona but also a good M-Charizard Y switch-in as well as a hazard remover.
Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Defog

That's all for my rate. I hope it will help you n_n

Last edited:

Thank you for your rate!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but here I am.

First of all, "Mega Venusaur would give the team huge problems against stall" Unless your problem is dealing damage against walls, what the hare are you talking about? Venusaur is immune to both Toxic and Leech Seed. This forces walls to PP stall, which is very unreliable. Also max SpAtk Solar Beam 2HKOs Toxapex and Sableye.

Another thing is that Serperior can only deal good damage to walls if it's at +6. Let's take some calcs that I collected

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 94-112 (13.3 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 373-441 (53 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 66-78 (16.5 - 19.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 260-306 (65.3 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 84-99 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- 62.5% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 331-390 (108.8 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 105-124 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 418-493 (137.9 - 162.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 45-53 (12.3 - 14.6%) -- possible 7HKO
+6 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 175-207 (48.2 - 57%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 140-168 (39.7 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 552-652 (156.8 - 185.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While yes, Serperior at +6 does deal good damage against walls, the problem comes in setting up that +6. Serperior requires a full three turns to setup. That might not seem like much, but three turns is more than enough for any Stallmon to setup a toxic and protect and heal spam. You do have Sub, but Sub spamming only makes you vulnerable to faster attackers, which is another major downfall with Serperior.

"Mega Garchomp has natural bulk and looks cooler" First of all no, Regular Chomp will always look cooler. And secondly if you're looking for a bulky dragon type, then why would you pick the worst possible option? Zygarde has the same type but better bulk, Dragonite has Mulitscale, and Zard X has a better defensive typing. And let me remind you where Mega Garchomp stands compared to every other dragon type options from highest to lowest.

Zygarde: A+
Garchomp: A
Latios: A-
Latias: B-
Zard X: B-
Salamence: B-
Dragonite: C+
Mega Garchomp: C+
Hydreigon: C

By picking Mega Chomp over regular Chomp, you not only waste your mega slot, but you also hinder your team as well. And According to the Viability thread, the ONLY dragon that Mega Chomp outclasses is Hydreigon, which is in UU. Heck Latias is also in UU, but that also outclasses it. If Mega Chomp can't even outclass a top dog in the UU meta, why would you run it? It doesn't make any sense to run a worse option for the sake of a Mega that's WORSE than its original counterpart. Tell me how that makes ANY sense please, because I see no reason to run Mega Chomp over Regular Chomp with these facts. Forgive me if this is sounding like a rant, but Mega Chomp is just not good in the OU meta. I mean if it's outclassed by the regular version, you know you using a crappy mega. Heck its the ONLY mega to be outclassed by its original pokemon. Again sorry if this sounds like a rant, I just thought this needed to be addressed.

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just thought I would pass on my thoughts of this team.

I know al lot of people have been commenting about the choice of pokemon, specifically Mega-Chomp, Serperior and Nihilego. While I do find Nihilego underwhelming in any stall match up, the fact that it gets up toxic spikes and stealth rocks saves this team against any sticky web/veil offense team.

As for Chomper, I am of the opinion that the Mega is perfectly fine. I have beaten up many a balance core (venu-tran-celesteela) with it and that kind of power, along with the increased bulk and not losing hp with every attack, makes it a real beater against slower teams. I am fairly sure people who complain about Mega Chomp just don't know how to properly use it. (Like waiting to Mega until you need to, retaining your speed)

The only real changes I made to the team was replacing Grass Knot with Final Gambit. Grass knot was a move I never really used, unless up against rain, whiIe having Final Gambit kills Swampert as well. It also allows victini to dent/eliminate many threats that it normally wouldn't touch, like Charizard, Zygarde, Heatran, etc. This change allows you to push past the fire types that wall Serperior.

And for Serperior. I liked the above Suggestion by wheitron to change it to Sub-Seed Serp with no D-Pulse. I have absolutely loved this change, as I can not only take on Clef+Chansey, but also 1v1 things like Celesteela, Charizard Y and Heatran. And of course, if you already removed one with Final Gambit, than its all the easier.

I have played with this team a lot and thoroughly enjoyed all moments, even when Leaf Storm misses. Big thumbs up for the team and keep on rolling.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but here I am.

First of all, "Mega Venusaur would give the team huge problems against stall" Unless your problem is dealing damage against walls, what the hare are you talking about? Venusaur is immune to both Toxic and Leech Seed. This forces walls to PP stall, which is very unreliable. Also max SpAtk Solar Beam 2HKOs Toxapex and Sableye.

Another thing is that Serperior can only deal good damage to walls if it's at +6. Let's take some calcs that I collected

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 94-112 (13.3 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 373-441 (53 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 66-78 (16.5 - 19.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 260-306 (65.3 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 84-99 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- 62.5% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 331-390 (108.8 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 105-124 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 418-493 (137.9 - 162.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 45-53 (12.3 - 14.6%) -- possible 7HKO
+6 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 175-207 (48.2 - 57%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 140-168 (39.7 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 552-652 (156.8 - 185.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While yes, Serperior at +6 does deal good damage against walls, the problem comes in setting up that +6. Serperior requires a full three turns to setup. That might not seem like much, but three turns is more than enough for any Stallmon to setup a toxic and protect and heal spam. You do have Sub, but Sub spamming only makes you vulnerable to faster attackers, which is another major downfall with Serperior.

"Mega Garchomp has natural bulk and looks cooler" First of all no, Regular Chomp will always look cooler. And secondly if you're looking for a bulky dragon type, then why would you pick the worst possible option? Zygarde has the same type but better bulk, Dragonite has Mulitscale, and Zard X has a better defensive typing. And let me remind you where Mega Garchomp stands compared to every other dragon type options from highest to lowest.

Zygarde: A+
Garchomp: A
Latios: A-
Latias: B-
Zard X: B-
Salamence: B-
Dragonite: C+
Mega Garchomp: C+
Hydreigon: C

By picking Mega Chomp over regular Chomp, you not only waste your mega slot, but you also hinder your team as well. And According to the Viability thread, the ONLY dragon that Mega Chomp outclasses is Hydreigon, which is in UU. Heck Latias is also in UU, but that also outclasses it. If Mega Chomp can't even outclass a top dog in the UU meta, why would you run it? It doesn't make any sense to run a worse option for the sake of a Mega that's WORSE than its original counterpart. Tell me how that makes ANY sense please, because I see no reason to run Mega Chomp over Regular Chomp with these facts. Forgive me if this is sounding like a rant, but Mega Chomp is just not good in the OU meta. I mean if it's outclassed by the regular version, you know you using a crappy mega. Heck its the ONLY mega to be outclassed by its original pokemon. Again sorry if this sounds like a rant, I just thought this needed to be addressed.
Mega Garchomp is not bad, it's some what a Kyurem-Black Stat wise except less HP and slightly less Speed. Mega Garchomp has access to Swords Dance boosting up it's sky high attack stat giving it wall breaking opportunities that Kyurem-Black doesn't really have. Mega Garchomp has a chance to live a choice scarf outrage and a dragon claw from a regular Garchomp:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 350-414 (97.7 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 234-276 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And Mega Garchomp to a regular Garchomp:

252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 336-396 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 500-590 (139.6 - 164.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Another thing, VR isn't always everything when choosing pokemon. Mega Garchomp is mostly used as a fill in pokemon. Someone might choose it because they're making a sand team and decide to put it in there. But as for Latias someone might use her as a wall, defogger, or a healer for their team. They use Latias as a defensive presence unlike Mega Garchomp, an offensive presence. That's why Latias as is a higher rank, Latias has mover options to Mega Garchomp.

I have an old replay of me using Mega Garchomp. He got 4 out of 6 mons on the team, so he's pretty good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-591764610

Mega Garchomp is not bad, it's some what a Kyurem-Black Stat wise except less HP and slightly less Speed. Mega Garchomp has access to Swords Dance boosting up it's sky high attack stat giving it wall breaking opportunities that Kyurem-Black doesn't really have. Mega Garchomp has a chance to live a choice scarf outrage and a dragon claw from a regular Garchomp:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 350-414 (97.7 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 234-276 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And Mega Garchomp to a regular Garchomp:

252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 336-396 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Garchomp-Mega Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 500-590 (139.6 - 164.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Another thing, VR isn't always everything when choosing pokemon. Mega Garchomp is mostly used as a fill in pokemon. Someone might choose it because they're making a sand team and decide to put it in there. But as for Latias someone might use her as a wall, defogger, or a healer for their team. They use Latias as a defensive presence unlike Mega Garchomp, an offensive presence. That's why Latias as is a higher rank, Latias has mover options to Mega Garchomp.

I have an old replay of me using Mega Garchomp. He got 4 out of 6 mons on the team, so he's pretty good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-591764610
Garchomp almost always runs either Choice Band or Life Orb, so your calcs are invalid. Plus whatever whatever Mega Chomp gets access too, regular chomp also gets access to it. Just because Mega Chomp beats Regular Chomp, doesn't make it better. There are just way too many better megas to use that slot with other than Chomp such as Gllade, Medicham, Mawile, and ZardX just to name a few. and speaking of Band and Orb.

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 455-538 (127 - 150.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 330-393 (92.1 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 348-410 (97.2 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 522-614 (145.8 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

"VR isn't everything when you choose a pokemon" VR is the list that shows how popular and how viable a pokemon is. By your logic, you're saying that a less viable pokemon is better. Keep in mind that Mega Chomp is FIVE ranks lower than regular chomp. I don't think a mega that hinders the pokemon that much should be usable as a mega. Why do think it's says "OU by technicality" for Mega Chomp? because Mega Chomp is WORSE than regular chomp.

Edit: Okay Life Orb and Choice Band may not be what many people would say "very viable", it's just from my experience from Chomps I've seen on the opposing side, I almost never came across a Scarf Chomp nor a Draconium Z Chomp, most of them were Life Orb and a few others were banded. And most of the time, I run Life Orb and or Choice Band on Garchomp. If you want to run Mega Chomp, that's fine, it's just from my experience with megas, most other megas will serve you better.

Last edited:
Garchomp almost always runs either Choice Band or Life Orb, so your calcs are invalid. Plus whatever whatever Mega Chomp gets access too, regular chomp also gets access to it. Just because Mega Chomp beats Regular Chomp, doesn't make it better. There are just way too many better megas to use that slot with other than Chomp such as Gllade, Medicham, Mawile, and ZardX just to name a few. and speaking of Band and Orb.

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 455-538 (127 - 150.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 330-393 (92.1 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 348-410 (97.2 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 522-614 (145.8 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

"VR isn't everything when you choose a pokemon" VR is the list that shows how popular and how viable a pokemon is. By your logic, you're saying that a less viable pokemon is better. Keep in mind that Mega Chomp is FIVE ranks lower than regular chomp. I don't think a mega that hinders the pokemon that much should be usable as a mega. Why do think it's says "OU by technicality" for Mega Chomp? because Mega Chomp is WORSE than regular chomp.
Never have I ever seen a regular Garchomp run a +atk stat or run choice band. Life Orb is rare, same as Dragonium Z. Either Garchomp is running the tank chomp set or the choice scarf.

Swords Dance + Stealth Rocks: A
Choice Scarf: A
Swords Dance + 3 Attacks: A

Choice Band isn't a set.
And VR isn't everything, when making a team you use pokemon based around a core or a specific pokemon, you don't just look at the VR and say "these are the top 6 pokemon, I'll just put them on my team." Also less viable pokemon might be better in different teams.

For ex: You make an HO team and your suicide lead is Landorus-T just because it's top 2. Lando-T gets shut down by Mega Sableye, and can't get rocks up. Or you can use Azelf as the suicide lead but it's C rank. Azelf can get rocks up pass Mega Sableye, while Lando-T can't. So VR isn't everything.

Honestly, you shouldn't even comment help if you have no experience with the game. Life orb garchomp is completely outclassed by dragonium z, and life orb isn't even a set. Now choice band isn't either. At least give good advice or give none at all, as you clearly have no experience to say such an outrageous statement

Edit: Okay Life Orb and Choice Band may not be what many people would say "very viable", it's just from my experience from Chomps I've seen on the opposing side, I almost never came across a Scarf Chomp nor a Draconium Z Chomp, most of them were Life Orb and a few others were banded. And most of the time, I run Life Orb and or Choice Band on Garchomp. If you want to run Mega Chomp, that's fine, it's just from my experience with megas, most other megas will serve you better.
I don't really wanna call you out or anything but if you've never come across either of Chomp's most viable sets that probably means you're playing on the lower ladder, much lower than this team peaked. I think people should at least think twice before rating a team that peaked much higher than they've climbed on the ladder, and no offense but your post is a good example of why because it's rife with misinformed statements.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Hey everyone, thanks for all the posts, rates, and support. I'm very glad that people are finding my team useful, especially when this was made as a community gift to help people out. I'm very glad that the team has served its purpose.

I apologise for not replying earlier, as I haven't been checking the RMT subforum lately, and therefore have neglected rating teams as well.

Regarding Garchomp being countered by Skarmory: Garchomp can set up Swords Dance in front of Skarmory, so you have to play well to win the 50/50 between Counter and Whirlwind. Fire Fanging Skarm when it switches in is also a great way to punish it. This matchup depends on the player.

Regarding changes to Nihilego: My team has no Defog/Rapid Spin support (it's a waste of momentum, and it doesn't work well with my playstyle). Nihilego has a very useful advantage over other leads in the fact that it can absorb Toxic Spikes for free. Toxic Spikes is literal toxic cancer for Azumarill and Serperior. I am sure many of the rates that want me to change Nihilego did not consider this. I wonder if they take it into consideration, how their rates would change?

Regarding Grass Knot -> Final Gambit: This actually sounds cool. It may actually be worth a try. I just don't like the idea of letting Victini die, plus the fact that Final Gambit deals less damage according to Victini's HP (which will be disadvantageous with Stealth Rock on the field), but that is just me personally. It is certainly viable.

Regarding Grass Knot -> Trick: This is also cool. More often than not I can't imagine Victini not-wanting the Scarf boost though, as it makes spamming V-Create easier. But worth a try.

Regarding Azumarill being a "mixed bag": My Azumarill runs Speed EVs, which outspeeds most Tangrowth. +6 Play Rough will outspeed and OHKO most Tangrowth, do not worry.

Regarding SubSeed Serp with no Dpulse: This might actually be more useful in practice than it seems to me on paper. The reason I use Dragon Pulse is because I hate missing a lot. But I am sure that if you do not mind the 90% accuracy of Leaf Storm/Leech Seed, Dragon Pulse has not much other utility. Except for killing some annoying dragons like Garchomp or Mega Charizard X early.

Regarding Victini -> Scarf Latios: This completely destroys the focus of the team. Volcarona is already hard countered by Azumarill's Aqua Jet. I am sure that Volcarona is not my main concern here. Sorry but I cannot accept this change at all. Victini is overpowered. Latios is not.

Regarding MFJr King's rate: I greatly appreciate the effort put into the rate and the suggestions given, but I am sure that it would change the focus of the team from an offensively oriented team into a balanced team. However, I will consider Tangrowth instead of Serperior and see if it makes the team more solid or not. Do you mind trying out the team with the proposed change and see if it is better or worse?
--

Regarding AustinXX555's "Mega Garchomp sucks!!": I am sure that the other members of the community have already chastised you nicely and reasonably politely, so I won't add oil to fire. Back when you first "rated" my team, Mega Camerupt was C- on the viability rankings. I was being polite and did not point that fact out. It had risen to B- recently due to metagame changes, but my team is kinda old too.

For those of you wondering: Mega Garchomp's Sand Force was great for punishing teams with Mega Tyranitar, which was super popular back when this team was made as it was just newly released.

--

SUMMARY:

Viable changes to the team that I agree with and you guys can try:
Victini's Grass Knot -> Final Gambit/Trick
Serperior's Dragon Pulse -> Leech Seed (it's actually better but misses will suck a lot)

Serperior -> Tangrowth (note: will considerably change the playstyle of the team)
--

Thank you all for the suggestions and support, and keep them coming!

Last edited:
Ok I'm just gonna leave it with this, I don't think Mega Garchomp is bad in OU, it can be a good bulky SD user, and can hit pretty hard, I just think with this team that there are better options that the mega could've been like Venusaur, Gallade, and, Lopunny. And as for VoidPL, I guess I see your point about how the VR isn't everything when making a team. As for the whole Mega Chomp thing, I often get heated into discussions, and the more heated I get, the less viable evidence I use. I don't want to bury myself more so I'm not going to comment anymore here, unless I really need to talk about it. So see ya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)