Resource ADV OU Teambuilding Compendium

OP copied from SoulWinds post
ADV OU TEAMBUILDING COMPENDIUM
The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the ADV OU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role. Each Pokemon that are on here are on here based on their viability in the OU metagame and their performance of generic or specific (niche, if you will) roles that benefit your team.This post has been done with the help of Astamatitos and Cowboy Dan and CZ so it's not just some random post. If you feel there is a Pokemon viable for the roles mentioned below and it hasn't been added to the group, recommend it in your post.

Rules and all that good stuff:
  • One liners are fine here, avoid double posting as per usual
  • Don't shitpost, don't flame, and don't be an idiot.
  • When suggesting things to be added / removed, provide decent reasoning as to why something should be added or removed.
  • Don't nominate unviable mons
Notes:Cacturne is the only NU pokemon featured here because it is more common than a lot of BL mons.
I do not encourage BP teams in any way shape or form. This is purely informational. I repeat please do not use BP teams on ladder.

Spikes:
(OU)

(BL)

(NU)

Spinners:
(OU)

(BL)

Spin-blockers:
(OU)

(BL)

Physical attackers:
(OU)

(BL)

Choice Band:
(OU)

(BL)

Special attackers:
(OU)

(BL)

(NU)

Mixed attackers:
(OU)

(BL)

Physical walls:
(OU)

(BL)

Special walls:
(OU)

(BL)

(UU)

Mixed walls:
(OU)

(BL)

Rock Resists(it's necessary to have at least 1 of these mons on every team unless you know what you are doing very well although it is recommended to have a minimum of 2):
(OU)

(BL)

Bulky Water
(not as important as a rock resist but every team should consider having at least one of these):
(OU)

(BL)

Setup sweepers:

-Swords Dance:

(OU)

(BL)

-Dragon Dance:
(OU)

(BL)

-Calm Mind:
(OU)

(BL)

-Agility:
(OU)

-Curse:
(OU)

(BL)

-Berry sweeper:
(OU)

(BL)

-Rain Sweeper:
(BL)

Baton Pass Recipients:

-Stat Receiver:

(OU)

(BL)

-Substitute Receiver:
(OU)

(BL)

-Will o wisp:
(OU)

(BL)

-Thunder Wave:
(OU)

(BL)

-Toxic:
(OU)

(BL)

-Sleep:
(OU)
(spore)
(hypnosis)
(hypnosis)
(sing)
(BL)
(sleep powder)
(spore)
(hypnosis)

Support:

-Wish:
(OU)

(BL)

-Heal bell/Aromatherapy:
(OU)

(BL)

-Phazers:
(OU)
(whirlwind) (roar)
(roar)
(roar)
(roar)
(roar)
(roar)
(roar)
(roar)
(perish song)

(BL)
(roar)
(roar
(roar)
(whirlwind)
(haze)
(haze)(roar)
(roar)
-Taunt Users:
(OU)

(BL)

(UU)

- Defense:
(OU)
(light screen)
(reflect)
(light screen) (reflect)
(light screen) (reflect)
(light screen) (reflect)
(light screen) (reflect)
(reflect)
(light screen) (reflect)
(light screen) (reflect)
(light screen)
(light screen)

Weather:
(OU)
(sand stream)
(sunny day)
(sunny day)

(BL)
(rain dance)
(rain dance)

Trappers:
(OU)
(mean look)
(arena trap)
(magnet pull)
(pursuit)
(pursuit)

(BL)
(can trace arena trap/magnet pull)
(mean look)(pursuit)
(mean look)(can trace arena trap/magnet pull)
(pursuit)

Explosion/Self-Destruct:
(OU)

(BL)

(UU)

Status Pivot (can switch into status effects to gain momentum) :

-Toxic:

(OU)
(poison typing)
(steel typing)
(steel typing)
(steel typing)
(natural cure)
(natural cure)
(natural cure)
(immunity)
(guts)
(rest)
(rest) (recover)
(rest)

(BL)
(guts)
(guts)
(poison typing)
(poison typing)
(steel typing)
(guts)
(rest) (early bird)
(immunity)

-Thunder Wave:
(OU)
(ground typing)
(ground typing)
(ground typing)
(ground typing)
(natural cure)
(natural cure)
(natural cure)
(rest)
(rest) (recover)
(rest)

(BL)
(ground typing)
(ground typing)
(ground typing)
(ground typing)
-Will-O-Wisp:
(OU)
(natural cure)
(natural cure)
(natural cure)
(guts)
(rest)
(fire typing)
(fire typing)
(rest) (recover)
(rest)

(BL)
(guts)
(guts)
(guts)
(fire typing)(flash fire)

Endeavor:
(OU)

(BL)

(UU)

Baton Passers:
(OU)

(BL)

(UU)

Last edited:
All of Flygon/Salamence/Metagross/Tyranitar should be under Toxic users probably.

Heracross should be under SD users' - W3k

Tauros should also be under physical attackers probably - Typh

Zap under physicals section - Ninjax( :c)

Rhydon should be under SD users.

Machamp - Typh

Add Venu to Tox Absorbers+Mixed walls

Is Sceptile a good SD'er btw? I guess if Venusaur is mentioned Sceptile warrants a mention.

Gyarados should be under Twavers.

CM Blissey itself is something that should be under special attackers.

Alakazam is missing too

Surely venu/Sceptile NEED SD to be physical attackers, do they need to be under that section?

Blaziken should definitely be under the mixed attackers as well.

Baton Passers is misspelled i think

imo split your booms up according to whether they aim to pick up physical or special walls.
Swellow is BL not OU

should probably also be a CB'er section so you know to look out for CB from certain things
maybe a pseudo passer section too, altho zapdos is probably the most relevant mon that somewhat frequently uses light screen, altho I have seen it on Metagross as well

Add a taunt section

Probably a few more minor oversights like this, good job again.
Thanks for the resource I'm looking forward to using this!

Last edited:

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
diglett should be mentioned for trapping in nu; saw good usage in nupl and annoys teams utilizing really common defensive mons like mawile and flareon
It is Adv OU Building compendium, I believe every pokemon named here, are named for their utility in overused only.

my bad xd, saw mons listed with tags like uu and nu next to them so got confused
The reason there are UU pokemon here is because they see a bit of usage in OU unlike NU which are extremely rare and if you want to use one you probably know what you are doing and you dont need the compendium.

I know I'm very late to this thread (hi! I'm new to ADV OU as a whole)
But it might be worth having a section for weather control, like rain dance ludicolo etc for people who are frustrated by ttar and want to get rid of sand
It's a little niche though so idk

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
But it might be worth having a section for weather control, like rain dance ludicolo etc for people who are frustrated by ttar and want to get rid of sand
For 4 weather available I would quickly discard hail as it's inviable without an auto/perma inducer and small amount of pokes who can get advantage of it. That being said look at the guide A deep look at Rain Offense written by Sadlysius. Rain offense is probably the best weather alternative to TSS.

EDIT: Sunny day could also be an alternative although has a small niche in form of Exeggutor/Moltres/Charizard and maybe deleting weather damage for endure users such as Heracross.

Last edited:
Now that baton pass has been nerfed (and Moltres and Raikou changed tiers), I think this needs updating. Also, I don't think distinctions between BL, UU, and NU are useful for OU players, so they should probably just be divided into OU and niche.
Kingdra and Ludicolo are already listed as rain sweepers.

wyc2333

A=X+Y+Z Y: Hard Work
phazers: roar molt. roar raikou is a BL set(?). idk what obvious merits roar gyara has bc it seldom pairs with spikes and gyara can be switched out first to scout its counter. if roar can be used to deal with an opposing setup mon, taunt is more viable

Can someone please put dugtrio in CB and physical attackers, yes its a trapper but is also a hard physical hitter and its hardly noticeble in that 1 section up there, saying it serves a different purpose would be the same as removing gengar from special attackers cause it uses taunt and will o wisp, also moltres is OU not BL

I doubt this thread will be updated soon and like vapicuno saids, dugtrio doesn't belong with the other choice bander and physical attacker, it's strictly a trapper. You didn't play it for his ability to wallbreak or for hitting on the physical side. The goal of this thread is to help new player To quickly find pokemon that can fill a specific role, dugtrio doesn't fill the role of a traditionnal choice bander or physical attacher so it shouldn't be listed in these categories.

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Can someone please put dugtrio in CB and physical attackers, yes its a trapper but is also a hard physical hitter and its hardly noticeble in that 1 section up there, saying it serves a different purpose would be the same as removing gengar from special attackers cause it uses taunt and will o wisp, also moltres is OU not BL
When Gengar is used as a special sweeper, it runs a set that looks something like Ice Punch, HP Grass, Fire Punch, Explosion.

It is true that occasionally, Dugtrio behaves like other Choice Banders in a revenge killer way, like Aerodactyl. But I feel that by far, most Choice Banders fall under the role of wallbreaker or in the case of Aero, a sweeper. Stuff like CB Meta/Tar/Mence are used in a way that sounds like "I know you're going to switch to your physical check, but I'm still going to dish out a ton of damage to them anyway". Dugtrio doesn't really behave this way, because it traps whatever is in front.

The point of a category is that stuff within function similarly in some way. In the case of common CBers like mence/meta/aero/tar, they all lure bulky waters like pert, cune, and milo, so you'd imagine the team support to be centered around the idea of breaking bulky waters for physically muscling through. Dugtrio can't claim to have a similar function. In fact, Dugtrio is instead used to support special offense teams, way more so than physical offense. I think therefore placing Dugtrio as a Choice Bander or physical attacker is completely misleading.

Last edited:
When Gengar is used as a special sweeper, it runs a set that looks something like Ice Punch, HP Grass, Fire Punch, Explosion.

It is true that occasionally, Dugtrio behaves like other Choice Banders in a revenge killer way, like Aerodactyl. But I feel that by far, most Choice Banders fall under the role of wallbreaker or in the case of Aero, a sweeper. Stuff like CB Meta/Tar/Mence are used in a way that sounds like "I know you're going to switch to your physical check, but I'm still going to dish out a ton of damage to them anyway". Dugtrio doesn't really behave this way, because it traps whatever is in front.

The point of a category is that stuff within function similarly in some way. In the case of common CBers like mence/meta/aero/tar, they all lure bulky waters like pert, cune, and milo, so you'd imagine the team support to be centered around the idea of breaking bulky waters for physically muscling through. Dugtrio can't claim to have a similar function. In fact, Dugtrio is instead used to support special offense teams, way more so than physical offense. I think therefore placing Dugtrio as a Choice Bander or physical attacker is completely misleading.
Fair enough I guess, that was a good reply so cant argue much on that front, moltres still needs putting in OU though, its in BL in 2 places

I think Tyranitar should be added as a TWaver. I've seen it quite often lately, usually in the lead position and I think it's nice. Although most rock resists and common switch-ins are inmune to TWave (e.g. Flygon, Claydol, Swampy).

Also, it's maybe too niche and hard to run, but I think Dnite could be a decent Heal Bell user in the right hands.

And last but not least, I've seen Suicune running Salac berry and it's freaking awesome. Speaking of which, it could be used as a rain sweeper as well.

Last edited:
I have tried updating this and re-arranging mons in each category based on how likely they are to show up in that category (charizard can be a physical attacker, but it's not often that it is) and how effective/prevalent they are in said category. Obviously I didn't arrange it perfectly, and so if you have any other suggestions you can leave them here.

Just a minor nitpick, but Houndoom lists Flash Fire under Wisp status pivot; it's worth noting that Flash Fire isn't activated by Wisp here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)