Almost Any Ability ORAS Viability Rankings (another revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gastrodon (Sap Sipper): Unranked -> B- or above
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 8 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald/Ice Beam
Gastrodon is probably the best wall in AAA, because of its amazing ability and typing combination allows it no weaknesses, something only 5 Pokémon have access to. And considering its already impressive bulk, [This thing will happily eat up a fucking EXPLOSION, for god's sake.(196 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 232-274 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)]
adding no weakness just makes it even more capable of walling some mons. You know how Gastro struggles against Serperior in OU? Not anymore! Mega Venusaur? No problem! Just keep Ice Beaming them until they die, because YOU WILL LAST LONGER.

Gastrodon (Sap Sipper): Unranked -> B- or above
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 8 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Recover
- Toxic
- Scald/Ice Beam
Gastrodon is probably the best wall in AAA, because of its amazing ability and typing combination allows it no weaknesses, something only 5 Pokémon have access to. And considering its already impressive bulk, [This thing will happily eat up a fucking EXPLOSION, for god's sake.(196 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 232-274 (55.6 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)]
adding no weakness just makes it even more capable of walling some mons. You know how Gastro struggles against Serperior in OU? Not anymore! Mega Venusaur? No problem! Just keep Ice Beaming them until they die, because YOU WILL LAST LONGER.
It is not the best wall in the tier, it's a mediocre on at best.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Gastrodon: 322-379 (75.5 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Gastrodon: 446-526 (104.6 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Gastrodon: 220-259 (51.6 - 60.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Gastrodon: 231-274 (54.2 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

These are all extremely common mons on aaa offense and are not even the tier's best wallbreakers (well barring latios on the special side). Gastrodon cannot switch in on any of them.

Only niche it has is the no weakness + recovery. It has no business trying to be a mixed wall. B+ is very very high on it, I'm not sure where it should be placed though.

edit- another thing worth mentioning is that, you're giving way too much credit to it living an explosion with half it's health from a pokemon that a)didn't have max attack investment b) didn't have STAB on explosion c)didn't have an ability boosting the explosion. Also, the set you posted and the set in the calc aren't even the same one.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I'm back for another few suggestions and ideas for changes in the thread. It seems like a lot could be added here, but it doesn't seem like many people care enough to be posting here, sadly. I'll start with a few 'mons that I've been using as of late.

I love Raikou in the current metagame and feel like it could use a higher rank. It's a great pivot for offensive teams, outspeeds most opponents and hits decently hard. It can pull off a lot of good sets. A very obvious set is the Regenerator set, but I've fallen in love with Primordial Sea. The ability to switch into Fire-type moves flawlessly is amazing and allows it to take advantage of Pokemon like Heatran and Victini, or at least play extensive mindgames. Additionally, it also allows it to use Thunder, which is a very powerful and haxy (30% chance to paralyze!) move, so that's pretty good and causes you to pretty much get the power of Sheer Force and such. You also get the ability to use Weather Ball this way. Although it requires you to run Rash, it can still be a really good move depending on your team (its a 150 BP water type move, which is stronger than say STAB Scald). About the abilities listed in the OP, I don't really see it using Poison Heal too well, seeing how it switches out a lot and would probably prefer Regenerator. Maybe Thick Fat could be added as well, since its nice to switch into Fire and Ice types as well.

The above is only talking about abilities, metagame wise, it is just really good at switching in and getting free damage and/or momentum. It can check things like Gale Wings, Manaphy, and most offensive Pokemon which can't outspeed it. while it switches in relatively easily on special attackers with an Assault Vest. It dislikes stallier teams, but it can still get momentum for your team and some chip damage with Volt Switch (I also used it as a back-up sweeper with NastyPass Togekiss, it can 2HKO Chansey at +4, which was great.), but the usefulness against offensive and balanced teams make it deserve at least B+ in my opinion, but I'd like to see it higher as well.

Omastar is surprisingly decent. I first started running it as a sort of joke test on a team which needed a Gale Wings and AteSpeed check (damn it, AteSpeedSpam is OP), which couldn't fit in Skarmory and it really does its job well. It has a great defense stat, but also a good special attack stat, which allows it to fit on balanced teams. I feel like the best and possibly only viable (besides strange lead sets?) ability is Levitate. Levitate does a good job at blocking a ton of Pokemon in combination with Omastar's unique typing in Water/Rock, allowing it to fire off Scalds. However, possibly one of the best things about it is that it has Spikes - an amazing move which it can spam freely when it gets a free turn. It also has Stealth Rock, but seeing how Omastar will probably get various free turns (things either easily beat it or get hard-walled, so you dont take much damage), it is better for the increased damage. I'd advice running Ice Beam and either Ancient Power or Earth Power in the remaining slots, to get some decent coverage.

*I do not run max defense myself, however I'm not sure what the better spread is, so I'll calc these with max def.
252+ Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Omastar: 58-68 (16.8 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Omastar: 116-137 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Omastar: 112-132 (32.5 - 38.3%) -- 98.1% chance to 3HKO

Most common of these is Refrig, so usually it'll do way too good. Leftovers recovery will help too. It should be obvious that it can check things like Skarmory and Braviary easily. It may be beat by Dark Pulse Honchkrow but that's not too common.

I say it could be C or C-. It's fairly niche, but the niche it fills is important and it can pressure those Pokemon really well.

I explained what I think of Blaziken here. Basically I'd like Unburden to be added as an ability. Maybe it could be pushed to B, but it is quite a complicated set (though really effective!) Same could be done for Lucario but its a bit less effective, although ESpeed helps.

Greninja has an okay lead set with Toxic Spikes / Spikes / Taunt and a STAB attack. It's not great, but it deserves to be listed. Add Sturdy to its abilities.

Normal Aerodactyl with Intimidate is a viable non-Skarmory Gale Wings check with decent utility. It can also lead viably (with Mold Breaker) but I haven't used that. It can switch in on the birds, take their attacks (isn't hit super-effectively by Fighting coverage!) and hit back with a usually super-effective Rock-type STAB move. Besides that, it can keep itself healthy with Roost, set Stealth Rock and Defog in a pinch. It also has Earthquake for coverage, and some weaker moves that aren't really too good. I run max defense on it, so it can take the hits it needs to take better, and max speed so it can still outspeed things, but there is probably a better EV spread that takes specific attacks and outspeeds specific mons, but also has other investment.

Note: Aerodactyl is really for offensive teams which need a check. Don't expect it to take the hits too well. It can counter the birds, but barely (maybe better if you have better spreads).

Infernape needs Mold Breaker or a variant added. It's a really good Pokemon with Mold Breaker Fire-type attacks, which is something not prepared for. Additionally, it gets a good secondary STAB and Encore. Encore can screw up slow set-up sweepers, but with Mold Breaker it goes through Magic Bounce! It may deserve a rise to B, but I'll comment on that later.

Little Ideas / Questions:
  • Doesn't Aegislash have a viable Prankster set?
  • Sheer Force DeoS is a thing.
  • Pixilate needs to be added for Entei. More Viable than some of the other abilities and is really threatening. Also Serene Grace maybe for that nice 100% burn chance.
  • Same thing with Genesect. Add Refrigerate and Pixilate.
  • Skarmory can run Delta Stream viably.
  • Zygarde needs Pixilate too.
  • Dragonite needs Refrigerate.
  • Why is Gliscor B+, I'd rather use Hippowdon 95% of the time or LandoT on offensive teams.
  • Tinted Lens doesn't seem worth using on Greninja over Protean. Protean will allow you to hit them SE instead of neutrally, most of the time.
  • imas234 says Adaptability should be added on Breloom.
  • Why is Tentacruel in B+. It seems decent, but not that good.
  • What does Meloetta do that deserves B?
  • Blastoise-Mega doesn't deserve B. If you want to wallbreak with Drizzle, you have better 'mons that don't need to Mega-Evolve and thus can do it multiple times. Otherwise its outclassed by other Pokemon most of the time. It has a niche with its offensive coverage + Rapid Spin, but C maybe.
  • Crobat looks terrible and outclassed. It could be decent for supporting, but not B-.
  • If Zoroark is B-, then Absol should go somewhere around that too. It doesn't have that speed, but way higher Attack, and better coverage.
May test some more 'mons later, since some of these rankings seem strange. I will comment on C ranks and lower last time

Will post more later, when I have tested my new stall team more. May also comment on the viability of some other 'mons which I've used a lot which are higher.

I love Raikou in the current metagame and feel like it could use a higher rank. It's a great pivot for offensive teams, outspeeds most opponents and hits decently hard. It can pull off a lot of good sets. A very obvious set is the Regenerator set, but I've fallen in love with Primordial Sea. The ability to switch into Fire-type moves flawlessly is amazing and allows it to take advantage of Pokemon like Heatran and Victini, or at least play extensive mindgames. Additionally, it also allows it to use Thunder, which is a very powerful and haxy (30% chance to paralyze!) move, so that's pretty good and causes you to pretty much get the power of Sheer Force and such. You also get the ability to use Weather Ball this way. Although it requires you to run Rash, it can still be a really good move depending on your team (its a 150 BP water type move, which is stronger than say STAB Scald). About the abilities listed in the OP, I don't really see it using Poison Heal too well, seeing how it switches out a lot and would probably prefer Regenerator. Maybe Thick Fat could be added as well, since its nice to switch into Fire and Ice types as well.

The above is only talking about abilities, metagame wise, it is just really good at switching in and getting free damage and/or momentum. It can check things like Gale Wings, Manaphy, and most offensive Pokemon which can't outspeed it. while it switches in relatively easily on special attackers with an Assault Vest. It dislikes stallier teams, but it can still get momentum for your team and some chip damage with Volt Switch (I also used it as a back-up sweeper with NastyPass Togekiss, it can 2HKO Chansey at +4, which was great.), but the usefulness against offensive and balanced teams make it deserve at least B+ in my opinion, but I'd like to see it higher as well.

Thick fat seems like a really niche ability that doesn't seem like it necessarily deserves a mention, fire types in the tier will still hit it very hard and it has nothing to hit them supereffectively with. I could be missing something however. While we're on the topic, perhaps terravolt still deserves a mention as it's great vs random electric immunity mons that were common back then (it doesn't deserve a mention if they're not common anymore) and works great in teams that cannot afford to lose momentum to these things.

Omastar is surprisingly decent. I first started running it as a sort of joke test on a team which needed a Gale Wings and AteSpeed check (damn it, AteSpeedSpam is OP), which couldn't fit in Skarmory and it really does its job well. It has a great defense stat, but also a good special attack stat, which allows it to fit on balanced teams. I feel like the best and possibly only viable (besides strange lead sets?) ability is Levitate. Levitate does a good job at blocking a ton of Pokemon in combination with Omastar's unique typing in Water/Rock, allowing it to fire off Scalds. However, possibly one of the best things about it is that it has Spikes - an amazing move which it can spam freely when it gets a free turn. It also has Stealth Rock, but seeing how Omastar will probably get various free turns (things either easily beat it or get hard-walled, so you dont take much damage), it is better for the increased damage. I'd advice running Ice Beam and either Ancient Power or Earth Power in the remaining slots, to get some decent coverage.

*I do not run max defense myself, however I'm not sure what the better spread is, so I'll calc these with max def.
252+ Atk Choice Band Refrigerate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Omastar: 58-68 (16.8 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Pixilate Entei Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Omastar: 116-137 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Omastar: 112-132 (32.5 - 38.3%) -- 98.1% chance to 3HKO

Most common of these is Refrig, so usually it'll do way too good. Leftovers recovery will help too. It should be obvious that it can check things like Skarmory and Braviary easily. It may be beat by Dark Pulse Honchkrow but that's not too common.

I say it could be C or C-. It's fairly niche, but the niche it fills is important and it can pressure those Pokemon really well.

I considered regenomastar once, but it had the same issue magneton had and was possibly worse in a sense
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Omastar: 256-302 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Omastar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Braviary: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO
So, not only does it fail to be a switchin, it can't ohko it either. Also, if I'm going to run 252+ defense might as well run a well known defensive wall like regirock right? Only issue would be entei's burns when it comes to fire types.
Better set would probably be 252hp/252spA with maybe regen/primsea. Primsea gives it offensive presence while letting it check the birds (252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Omastar: 342-404 (99.4 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
maybe adjust defense to live this and run lower special attack to live this) and counter most fire types.

Normal Aerodactyl with Intimidate is a viable non-Skarmory Gale Wings check with decent utility. It can also lead viably (with Mold Breaker) but I haven't used that. It can switch in on the birds, take their attacks (isn't hit super-effectively by Fighting coverage!) and hit back with a usually super-effective Rock-type STAB move. Besides that, it can keep itself healthy with Roost, set Stealth Rock and Defog in a pinch. It also has Earthquake for coverage, and some weaker moves that aren't really too good. I run max defense on it, so it can take the hits it needs to take better, and max speed so it can still outspeed things, but there is probably a better EV spread that takes specific attacks and outspeeds specific mons, but also has other investment.

Note: Aerodactyl is really for offensive teams which need a check. Don't expect it to take the hits too well. It can counter the birds, but barely (maybe better if you have better spreads).

No nitpicks, but I can add here. I ran a weird set with prankster as an antilead with taunt/rocks/crunch/rock slide i don't remember the set but it was neutral speed with enough EVs to either outspeed 252+ 110s (220) or 100(132) EVs, the rest goes to attack and hp with adamant nature i guess. It basically taunted Deo Leads and revenged gengar/latios and checked birds/vicitini.

Little Ideas / Questions:
Something with sub/toxic destiny bond, but i wouldn't exactly call it viable as it doesn't have a recovery move and has 0 offensive presence. I'd say Dusclops is the better prankster defensive ghost asi it has wisp and pain split to help it out (and it was very successful in my first ever AAA team, it basically blanket checked a lot of things thanks to bulk+wisp+dbond, subsplit was also good). Doublade is also a better prankster as it has offensive pressure along with the same utility moves aegi provides.
I knew my sets were fire
I'll let aesf talk about this because he hates this on both skarm/zap iirc (i personally don't give a crap)
  • Why is Gliscor B+, I'd rather use Hippowdon 95% of the time or LandoT on offensive teams.
Speed/Higher defense and roost makes it usable over landoT, it's also an interesting gale wings user
  • Tinted Lens doesn't seem worth using on Greninja over Protean. Protean will allow you to hit them SE instead of neutrally, most of the time.
Idk how good it is, but anything with decent offenses can run tinted decently and gren has a great speed stat to work with
Yeah Sub/Spore/SD are options alongside the STAB moves spore can shut down counters, sub can abuse prankster's popularity and SD is SD. It's good imo because it's one of the few things that can KO suicune with physical attacks, it basically gets a free switch, sets up sub/spores and clicks a move or just throws out something like a superpower with band
Meloetta can basically be swapped with goodra as a regenvester. It has more offensive presence than goodra and access to U-Turn/Knock Off so it's not as much of a momentum killer and can fit into more fast paced teams i guess
So, that took a while. Kudos on trying to keep this alive, I'd post more but I wouldn't know what to post.

e- i actually put in comments in the quote in bold, this isn't just a "good job" post

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Well, I'm back for another few suggestions and ideas for changes in the thread. It seems like a lot could be added here, but it doesn't seem like many people care enough to be posting here, sadly. I'll start with a few 'mons that I've been using as of late.

Raikou is a decent pivot, agreeing with most of your points there. Note that it should not be used as a mana check since most run motor drive, which absolutely destroys raikou by giving mana +1 while not letting Raikou switch out (it essentially gives manaphy 2 free turns). B+ is probably a good rank, because it is a pretty good pivot that has notable flaws, most notably the fact that it gets destroyed by manaphy and gyarados.

This is actually really cool; its a great check to espeeders in general and has nice coverage for what it wants to check. Braviary does hit it pretty hard with superpower, unfortunately, limiting its effectiveness there; but its scalds and physical bulk put quite a bit of pressure on opponents. The set I find really cool, however, is the lead set. Weak armor, prankster, and unburden are all very cool abilities because this gets the rare combination of spikes and stealth rock, while scald puts a lot of pressure on hard-hitting mons that threaten to take it out before it can do its job really well. The lead sets may even be worthy of C+, it's a really cool non-deo-s lead that is pretty unexpected.

I explained what I think of Blaziken here. Basically I'd like Unburden to be added as an ability. Maybe it could be pushed to B, but it is quite a complicated set (though really effective!) Same could be done for Lucario but its a bit less effective, although ESpeed helps.
Yeah. The chicken is actually pretty cool, but its got quite a large number of checks, especially common ones such as FF Doublade, which is on every other team. Any priority beats it, yadda yadda. Its a cool set that hits really hard, I just don't feel above B- to be honest. It can't set up against more bulky teams because they won't get it to 1 hp, and most offensive teams pack multiple sources of priority (one of mine is 18-2 and has 4 such sources).

Greninja has an okay lead set with Toxic Spikes / Spikes / Taunt and a STAB attack. It's not great, but it deserves to be listed. Add Sturdy to its abilities.

Greninja is *Okay* at best. Its got spikes, but is really weak, and tbh I would rather use any other lead such as the aforementioned unburden / weak armor omastar.

Aero is pretty cool, but I prefer the mega for an intimidate set - It's often only checking things once or twice and it actually has nice utility. The mega is decently bulky and hits pretty hard, but with intimidate it can check a lot more threats it normally would be unable to do. The extra speed is great for offense, as speed control is everything in this meta for hyper offensive teams.

Infernape needs Mold Breaker or a variant added. It's a really good Pokemon with Mold Breaker Fire-type attacks, which is something not prepared for. Additionally, it gets a good secondary STAB and Encore. Encore can screw up slow set-up sweepers, but with Mold Breaker it goes through Magic Bounce! It may deserve a rise to B, but I'll comment on that later.
Moldy fire is great, but infernape's coverage is what sets it apart. Its also a good Stealth Rock setter, and has a good speed tier that makes it threatening to a lot of teams, especially with encore.

• Yes, but its standard sets are better. The SubToxic set in OU is something I find really effective; it's shadow ball hits very hard and the lefties recovery from sub/KS is actually really cool and can force a lot of opponents to switch in this meta. The meta is also a bit underprepared for it atm and don't really know what to do.
  • So is Tinted Lens. Add both. Tinted Lens is a very good lure with psycho boost and mixed sets just go for super effective coverage on particular threats, which makes it a huge luxury.
  • Pixilate needs to be added for Entei. More Viable than some of the other abilities and is really threatening. Also Serene Grace maybe for that nice 100% burn chance.
  • Both are good. Pixilate helps it revenge Mega Dos among others, while still hitting a lot of dragons very hard. Serene Grace is worthy of adding I guess, but I really don't think its all that good of a set - people still play the same way around Sacred Fire and the extra percentage physically only goes so far when opponents are playing around it as if it's a guaranteed burn anyways.
  • Same thing with Genesect. Add Refrigerate and Pixilate.
  • Genesect's Refrigerate set is REALLY good, its mixed set is a staple on HO because refrigerate stabs are very nice and thunderbolt hits pretty hard for coverage while it pivots with u-turn. Tbolt 2hkos Doublade, which is perfect since it would otherwise give it a setup opportunity, and special boltbeam is nice. Refrigerate extremespeed is uninvested, but still packs a punch with Life Orb, while U-turn is really unexpected on Genesect nowadays. Pixilate is a bit inferior, however, because its coverage is significantly worse and while it can still u-turn out of threats, there are a lot more threats that switch in, and pixilate espeed needs investment to be as threatening as refrigerate with all the 4x weak mons floating around.
  • Sure.
  • Zygarde needs Pixilate too.
  • Fairy/Ground isn't as good as Ice/Ground, but it is very unexpected and screws with a lot of mons that normally try to set up or tank zygarde's attacks.
  • Dragonite needs Refrigerate.
  • Yes.
  • Gliscor has a nice movepool, I guess, but that's about it. It does have a niche as a gale wings abuser, and it's actually not bad at that, despite being even weaker to refrigspeed; Gliscor may have the best coverage of any gale wings abuser and is the most viable roost user. Flying/Ground/Dark is no joke.
  • Agreed. Tinted Lens just seems redundant since Greninja just slaps everything for SE damage anyways.
  • The subpunch set is VERY scary with Adaptability, and even the slow spore has surprising utility for offense.
  • Why is Tentacruel in B+. It seems decent, but not that good.
  • I think it had to do with the typing and bulk, but you need to talk to some people about that.
  • Tank sets are actually scary good and hit pretty hard as well, but the main set is the regenvest one, which has scary bulk on the special side. Its bulk is as big as chansey with that set, and its a godsend for semi stall because it actually still has some offensive presence. With wish support it is an absolute beast.
  • Blastoise-Mega doesn't deserve B. If you want to wallbreak with Drizzle, you have better 'mons that don't need to Mega-Evolve and thus can do it multiple times. Otherwise its outclassed by other Pokemon most of the time. It has a niche with its offensive coverage + Rapid Spin, but C maybe.
  • Agreed.
  • Crobat looks terrible and outclassed. It could be decent for supporting, but not B-.
  • Not really. It is a very good support mon with a great typing that's speed is a huge advantage and makes it extremely flexible. Super Fang is also a very cool option to deal with the many tanks that lack recovery in this meta. Its not great, but its definitely B- material.
  • If Zoroark is B-, then Absol should go somewhere around that too. It doesn't have that speed, but way higher Attack, and better coverage.
  • Absol is A because of LO Tough Claws being as good as bisharp. Its power is utterly ridiculous and play rough is nice coverage as well. Honestly, it's god tier and Zoroark is nowhere close.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
--> A+

Suicune shines in the current meta dominated by strong Fire-types such as Entei, Victini, and Heatran (though Desolate Land variants usually beat it), as well as tons of strong physical attackers such as Mega Metagross, several birds, Doublade (!), etc. Suicune has a very easy time winning games due to it outlasting most of its checks with Scald and Poison Heal. It's also surprisingly versatile with its last moveslot, which can be Ice Beam, Roar, or even more teamspecific options such as Signal Beam and Tailwind which I have both used. The meta is just too favorable for it at the moment for me to see it on the same level as Mega Gyarados (maybe drop this btw?), Mandibuzz, etc, it's much more consistent than them. I realize Desolate Land is pretty common and its a huge pain for Suicune, but with entry hazard support Roar variants also defeat those a lot of the time.

Also I agree with Raikou going to B+ or A-. Snaq summed it up pretty nicely, it's a good pivot and decent birdcheck although they do more than half with Brave Bird so I wouldn't use it as your only check lol. Any higher than A- would be too much though, all of its sets have their issues and it doesn't actually do much on its own.

Last edited:
You can add prankster to Trevenant imho. I'm using it RN with wow, leech seed, protect and destiny bond. (A specially defensive variant). It kills at least one mon, usually or even two (but only if the opponent is dumb, or must sacrifice that mon). I use it for the mons i don't have an actual answer to. I still think that C is its rank.
Oh, i'll add some calcs in a couple of hours.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Hoopa
Hoopa is fairly threatening in AAA and should definitely get a rank now its big brother is banned and it can replace its useless ability. I've seen a lot of threatening sets, including Swift Swim (and Chlorophyll / Sand Rush I guess) on weather teams to destroy opponents with its extremely high special attack. Personally, I've used an Unburden set, which functioned pretty well as well (SubPetaya). Other abilities like Sheer Force have the potential to destroy stall, especially since Hoopa's Ghost-typing makes it immune to Seismic Toss, an ability easy to abuse with Substitute. Nasty Plot also has the potential to make it terrifying.

That said, Hoopa has a few crippling weaknesses, the biggest being the weakness to Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Pursuit and other moves of those types, allowing it to get revenged or trapped relatively easily with the right Pokemon. Additionally, its mediocre speed leaves it outsped by many threats in general if its speed isn't boosted. However, in general it has many positive abilities and can fulfill many roles on different teams, and can both break offensive and defensive teams alike if needed. What rank should it be, as it definitely deserves more than unranked?

Edit: It spinblocks too.

First post here... I've been playing PS for a while but Almost Any Ability is the first OM that I have enjoyed playing consistently, and I've risen to 7th on the ladder, so thought I would share my team and get your guys' thoughts.

Cofagrigus @ Red Card
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Trick Room

Cofagrigus is my main lead. He is nearly impossible to OHKO on the first turn, so I throw up Trick Room first. Nobody expects the Red Card, so I am almost guaranteed to get a third turn out of this lead, but this set allows me to (1) either kill / burn their lead or lay 2 sets of toxic spikes to force a switch depending on situation and (2) sets up Trick Room for Chesnaught to safely activate Belly Drum + Sitrus Berry. I don't lead Cofagrigus usually though if there is a Skarmory, Braviary etc on the other team, as they render Chesnaught useless.

Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Belly Drum

Chesnaught is my main sweeper choice, but he is hard to set up. If there is a Skarmory, Braviary, Staraptor or Honchkrow still alive, Chesnaught is useless, but otherwise this set gives him great coverage and he can OHKO almost anything with the exception of Dragonite, Entei and a couple rarer options.

Skarmory @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Swords Dance

I don't know why anyone bothers with Braviary, Honchkrow or Staraptor when Skarmory is available. He packs just as much punch but is far more defensively reliable, can run Defog and Roost, and has access to Swords Dance. Another option is running Iron Head over Defog, but I prefer the utility with Defog to protect Chesnaught and Raichu.

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

This may raise a few eyebrows, but I find Raichu to be an excellent revenge killer in the metagame with Primordial Sea. As long as you aren't dumb enough to send him out against someone faster, or into an entry hazard, he is guaranteed to get a Nasty Plot + 1 attack off, and this set will likely OHKO at least one Pokemon before they can counter Raichu, or at least 2HKO whatever the counter is.

Wobbuffet @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

I use Wobbuffet really for only one purpose: trap and kill Skarmory, Braviary, Honchkrow or Staraptor to make way for Chesnaught. Anything else is cheddar for the lovable punching bag.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

And finally, the most annoying Pokemon in this OM, Doublade. I run Flash Fire to switch into Victini or Heatran, otherwise Doublade is just there to check physical threats.

Hoopa
Hoopa is fairly threatening in AAA and should definitely get a rank now its big brother is banned and it can replace its useless ability. I've seen a lot of threatening sets, including Swift Swim (and Chlorophyll / Sand Rush I guess) on weather teams to destroy opponents with its extremely high special attack. Personally, I've used an Unburden set, which functioned pretty well as well (SubPetaya). Other abilities like Sheer Force have the potential to destroy stall, especially since Hoopa's Ghost-typing makes it immune to Seismic Toss, an ability easy to abuse with Substitute. Nasty Plot also has the potential to make it terrifying.

That said, Hoopa has a few crippling weaknesses, the biggest being the weakness to Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Pursuit and other moves of those types, allowing it to get revenged or trapped relatively easily with the right Pokemon. Additionally, its mediocre speed leaves it outsped by many threats in general if its speed isn't boosted. However, in general it has many positive abilities and can fulfill many roles on different teams, and can both break offensive and defensive teams alike if needed. What rank should it be, as it definitely deserves more than unranked?

Edit: It spinblocks too.
So I've been using Hoopa recently, and I think it should be put in B+. It doesn't have very good speed, but that can be overcome with abilities like swift swim or with a choice scarf (the set I really like using is a choice scarf with Adaptability). It hits really hard with its 150 Special Attack, which makes it worth using on most teams. Really the biggest flaw about it is that it's vulnerable to sucker punch, shadow sneak, and pretty much any physical gale wings attack.

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well discuss some other Pokémon.

A rank is a good place for absol. It's an excellent sweeper, and can use taunt to cripple walls, allowing it to set up a swords dance rather easily. It doesn't completely fill in the niche left by Bisharp, but it's still very good.

I'm gonna nominate Rhydon for B- or C+. It can't deal as much damage as Rhyperior, but it can tank hits better, and still deals decent damage. A physical tank set with regenerator is good enough to take down lots of physical sweepers and then switch out to heal up. It's also a pretty good Stealth Rock setter.

Edit 2: Adaptability on Crawdaunt is outclassed by tough claws, all of its good STAB moves (Aqua jet, Crabhammer, and Knock off) make contact anyway.

Last edited:
my thoughts

Currently unranked mons
Gastrodon to Low B - Agreed, though for different reasons. Its thick fat set is incredibly anti-meta, being a great check to stuff like heatran, victini, entei, thundurus, and genesect. Added.
Omastar to Mid C - Added.
Aerodactyl: C- for now. Added.
Hoopa-C: B+ seems like a good place to start. Added.

Discussing:
Raikou -> B+ or higher
I agree with this, basically Snaq summed it up.

Gliscor from B+ -> something lower
I disagree with this, Gliscor is actually a pretty even mix between Landorus-T, Zapdos, and Hippowdon. First, it's the only one of the three with Defog, which can be crucial when you can't fit a skarmory or a zapdos but still want an electric immunity. It has access to knock off, can run U-turn for momentum, taunt to lock things up, or acrobatics for flying/ground coverage, which the other mons cannot boast. Gliscor can run gale wings effectively, getting a reliable defog while still being able to keep up momentum with u-turn or not be completely scared out by mega metagross, which it can dent with earthquake. It can run baton pass sets, bulletproof sets, flash fire sets, and is basically really flexible overall.

Tentacruel lower from B+
I agree with this, I just feel like it's hard to justify B+ just because it can spin while Meloetta and Goodra cannot. Tentacruel turns into a free switch for many mons, has a hard time spinning altogether, and tends to get worn down before getting a chance to spin. That being said, it's still a good special wall, but definitely not B+. Maybe something like B- would be better.

Mega Blastoise from B to C
I partially agree with this. Blastoise's magnet pull and lightningrod sets are still pretty good, and its access to rapid spin gives it sort of a niche. Better than C but probably not B. Maybe C+?

Crobat from B- -> something lower.
Disagree with this, crobat is still an decent support mon that makes it B-, no higher, no less.

Absol from A to B-
Strongly disagree with this one, the power difference between absol and zoroark is very noticeable, and the fact that absol can almost always get a kill or cripple something when it comes in while not minding things like Braviary too much makes it much better. Also has excellent coverage in play rough, and doesn't really mind being slow, since sucker punch takes care of almost everything notable that's faster than absol anyways. Can even afford to run baton pass if something that happens to be able to take a hit from it comes in.

Suicune from A to A+
Agree with this one

Alright, so here are my thoughts on some unranked Pokémon that I've been using recently:

I'm gonna nominate Rhydon C+ (I already said this, but it was when editing a different post, so I'm not sure if anyone saw it). It can't deal as much damage as Rhyperior, and it can't run Poison Heal, but it can tank hits better, and still deals decent damage. A physical tank set with regenerator is good enough to take down lots of physical sweepers and then switch out to heal up. It's also a pretty good Stealth Rock setter.

I'm nominating Mega Pidgeot for C+ as well. No Guard Hurricane is still really good, but Heat Wave isn't as good as it is normally because of all of the Flash Fire and Primordial Sea sets in AAA. It can assist teams with Defog, but it's outclassed somewhat in that niche by Gale Wings users.

I've been using Gigalith a lot recently, and I think B rank would be a good place for it. It's got a very good bulk and physical attack, and serves as a check for most Gale Wings users and many fire types. And with an Assault Vest, it can take special attacks about as well as physical attacks.

Kabutops is probably best in C or C-. I've been using a set with Technician, and while it can hit pretty hard at +2 and resists Gale Wings, it's pretty frail, and can't switch in on much. This frailty also makes it hard for it to set up most of the time.

Mega Sceptile should be in B- or C+. It's fast, has high special attack, and has access to worry seed, but it's weak to gale wings, and has a lot of trouble dealing with Victini, Doublade, and Skarmory, three of the most prominent Pokémon in the metagame right now.

Dragalge belongs in C or C-. It has okay special attack, and good special defense, but it doesn't have very good defensive typing (at least in my experience) and it is very slow. It gets defeated by most physical attackers, and even some special attackers, especially when they have Psyshock.

Also, I think we should change some of the abilities on Pokémon that have already been ranked.

Flash Fire and Primordial Sea should be added to Genesect.

Tough Claws should replace Adaptability on Crawdaunt, seeing as Crawdaunt's main STAB moves all make contact anyway.

I agree with AllJokesAside that No Guard should be added to Gengar.

Serene Grace should probably be added to Entei, in addition to giving it the 100% burn with Sacred Fire, it also gets a 60% flinch chance with Iron Head, which is not bad.

Haxorus should also get Own Tempo so that it can do Outrage as many times as it wants without worrying about confusion or having to switch out and lose its boosts from Dragon Dance or Swords Dance.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, so here are my thoughts on some unranked Pokémon that I've been using recently:

I'm gonna nominate Rhydon C+ (I already said this, but it was when editing a different post, so I'm not sure if anyone saw it). It can't deal as much damage as Rhyperior, and it can't run Poison Heal, but it can tank hits better, and still deals decent damage. A physical tank set with regenerator is good enough to take down lots of physical sweepers and then switch out to heal up. It's also a pretty good Stealth Rock setter.

I'm nominating Mega Pidgeot for C+ as well. No Guard Hurricane is still really good, but Heat Wave isn't as good as it is normally because of all of the Flash Fire and Primordial Sea sets in AAA. It can assist teams with Defog, but it's outclassed somewhat in that niche by Gale Wings users.

I've been using Gigalith a lot recently, and I think B rank would be a good place for it. It's got a very good bulk and physical attack, and serves as a check for most Gale Wings users and many fire types. And with an Assault Vest, it can take special attacks about as well as physical attacks.

Kabutops is probably best in C or C-. I've been using a set with Technician, and while it can hit pretty hard at +2 and resists Gale Wings, it's pretty frail, and can't switch in on much. This frailty also makes it hard for it to set up most of the time.

Mega Sceptile should be in B- or C+. It's fast, has high special attack, and has access to worry seed, but it's weak to gale wings, and has a lot of trouble dealing with Victini, Doublade, and Skarmory, three of the most prominent Pokémon in the metagame right now.

Dragalge belongs in C or C-. It has okay special attack, and good special defense, but it doesn't have very good defensive typing (at least in my experience) and it is very slow. It gets defeated by most physical attackers, and even some special attackers, especially when they have Psyshock.

Also, I think we should change some of the abilities on Pokémon that have already been ranked.

Flash Fire and Primordial Sea should be added to Genesect.

Tough Claws should replace Adaptability on Crawdaunt, seeing as Crawdaunt's main STAB moves all make contact anyway.

I agree with AllJokesAside that No Guard should be added to Gengar.

Serene Grace should probably be added to Entei, in addition to giving it the 100% burn with Sacred Fire, it also gets a 60% flinch chance with Iron Head, which is not bad.

Haxorus should also get Own Tempo so that it can do Outrage as many times as it wants without worrying about confusion or having to switch out and lose its boosts from Dragon Dance or Swords Dance.
There's no incentive to just rank everything that might have a tiny niche or list every ability that might be ok. Serene grace and own tempo are fairly useless, the small boosts they provide is nothing compared to something like pixilate or tough claws or whatever. Similarly, Gigalith may have a small niche but we have regirock too you know, and while it might be stronger than other rock options and take a single water hit, that's a pretty crappy niche over the aforementioned regirock, rhyperior, and even ttar and aero. As for Genesect, not as much opinion but wasting an ability for such a versatile pokemon on a fire immunity sounds sorta lame in concept. No opinion on the rest as they actually deal with unranked stuff that I haven't really used, I just though I'd throw that out there.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-> A+
-> A+

These are probably controversial nominations but after talking a bit about it with Snaq I really think they should drop. Basically, the AAA metagame is very prepared for Fire-types with tons of threats such as Doublade and Ferrothorn using Flash Fire / Primordial Sea, and especially Victini has a very hard time getting around them. The playstyle that they function best against, stall / semistall, is by far the least popular playstyle (although it is by no means bad). Chlorophyll Heatran is also a far cry from what it was in XY, as tons of Pokemon use Primordial Sea now, stopping Heatran cold in its tracks. They're still both very strong and versatile, which is why they should still be A+, but they're just not as effective as before.

C+ is probably too high for Mega Pidgeot, between Gale Wings and tons of strong priority it's even less effective than in the standard OU metagame and certainly not as effective as Pokemon such as Excadrill, Starmie, and Celebi, which I would actually consider on a serious team. The same goes for Mega Sceptile, Rhydon, and Kabutops. They might have some niche but as Megazard said, that does not justify them in C+. Not even going to comment on Gigalith lol.

Also, thoughts on Latios to S? It has its fair share of issues such as a vulnerability to strong priority, but between Adaptability and Tinted Lens I don't think it has any actually safe switchins, and its good base 110 Speed grants it more than enough opportunities to drop some Draco Meteor's. I'm actually not too sure about this but I'm just going to bring it up as a discussion point anyway.

This may sound crazy but nominating moltress for A-.

Put simply gale wings hurricane has an absurdly high chance to 2 shot any resist not packing heavy spdef investment with only specs moltress's raw damage output plus hazards damage, and even with the 4x rock weakness it's typing is pretty solid in this metagame making good use of all 3 prominant weathers. Also gale wings user neutral to refridgerate.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Moltres Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 136-161 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes.

Subroost life orb varients keep most of the abusive power of specstress while freely abusing stab fire blast, forcing sweeps on offense with minimal prior damage, and removing most of tress's rocks drawback with priority roost.

The pink blobs are counters but frankly those are disgustingly easy to abuse as setup fodder with another mon.

I would also like to nominate Chandelure for A-, while chandys speed tier is abyssmal almost none of the common flash fire/primordial sea abusers are capable of managing the sub CM + primal sun set when swapping in, and with chandelure's abundant resistances and immunities putting up a sub in this metagame is almost too easy at times.

This may seem high for previously low/unrated mons but A- is as conservative as I can be with these two monsters.

Last edited:
I'd personally rather use No Guard, Sheer Force or Magic Guard on Moltres. No Guard means you can spam Hurricanes without worry, Sheer Force powers up Hurricane and Fire Blast to humongous levels, Magic Guard makes Stealth Rock a non-issue.

A few abilities I think could be added for some Pokémon.
Kyurem - Tinted Lens. Best used on the Choice Specs set, it gives you perfect neutral coverage (bar the god awful Shedinja) with just its STABs, easing prediction tremendously.
Volcarona - Desolate Land. Powers up Fire Blast to stratospheric levels, removes Water weakness, gives you a no charge Solar Beam and a 66% recovery morning sun.

Im nominating weezing to D rank or low C rank. why you say? it has great defenses and giving it magic bounce is great because many people dont expect it. And it can run regenerator.

here are some calcs to show its bulk

252+ Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 210-248 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO then you can just willo and switch

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO plz

252+ Atk Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO that did... alot

Sooo yeah im noming weezing

Im nominating weezing to D rank or low C rank. why you say? it has great defenses and giving it magic bounce is great because many people dont expect it. And it can run regenerator.

here are some calcs to show its bulk

252+ Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 210-248 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO then you can just willo and switch

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO plz

252+ Atk Entei Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 126-148 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO that did... alot

Sooo yeah im noming weezing
Hello, ranks are there for pokemon who have niches. Weezing is in no way as good as any other physical wall in the tier. Those calcs aren't even accounting for PH/Adaptability Garchomp which sets up all over it (PH) or just OHKOS (Adapt). In fact, offensive itemless adamant garchomp isn't even a thing. If you're nominating something for a rank, it needs to do something well in that meta and better than another mon that does the same thing in some way or another.

Also, judging from the entei calc, with life orb (which it almost always has, the other item is band lol) it should 2hko weezing. In that case, all those calcs have shown is that weezing cannot switch in to two common physical attackers in the tier and therefore does not deserve a rank as a physical wall, even if it is low like D.

Here's a few more calcs to prove my point:
252+ Atk Choice Band Braviary Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 196-232 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 255-301 (76.3 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (tinted lens)
252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 242-286 (72.4 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (band does even more)
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing in Harsh Sunshine: 274-324 (82 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 260-306 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (loses after free switch)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 13.7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (can't switch in)
+2 252+ Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 196-232 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (can't switch in if it has SD up, but can check otherwise, I'll give you this one actually)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)