Alolan Meowth, Persian Discussion

Technician Snarl outdamages Dark Pulse as well. Also, the way bottle caps work means Persian can have stuff like Hidden Power Fire without losing a speed point. So Technician will certainly be worth it in some cases.
I see technician being better ones we get move tutors. I had an idea for original persian with Shock wave, Snarl, Icy Wind, and Swift. If it can get move tutors for those moves technician would be a great choice

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, well this is a change. Their highest offense stat switched from Attack to Special Attack (though the difference is only by 15 points, you could play a mix set).

The only differences I can see is that Dark Pulse (which normal Persian also got by TM), Quash, and Snarl was added to its level-up (EDIT: And Parting Shot which is significant). Sadly it doesn't get a move to help its defensive capabilities now that it gets Fur Coat, though it does have utilities like Fake Out, Taunt, Hypnosis, Spite, and the mentioned Parting Shot. Also, since it doesn't get a Special Normal-type move above 60 Power a Special set may still prefer Technician (which would also work well with Snarl)(EDIT: Keep forgetting these two are pure Dark-types now). But with it higher Special Attack it can make some use of Power Gem, Thunderbolt/Thunder, and Shadow Ball (and one with Technician might do better with Snarl than Dark Pulse).

Last edited:
Oh, well this is a change. Their highest offense stat switched from Attack to Special Attack (though the difference is only by 15 points, you could play a mix set).

The only differences I can see is that Dark Pulse (which normal Persian also got by TM), Quash, and Snarl was added to its level-up. Sadly it doesn't get a move to help its defensive capabilities now that it gets Fur Coat. Also, since it doesn't get a Special Normal-type move above 60 Power a Special set may still prefer Technician (which would also work well with Snarl). Also it can make some use of Power Gem, Thunderbolt/Thunder, and Shadow Ball.
Why would it need a special Normal-type attack?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why would it need a special Normal-type attack?
Because it now has a higher Special Attack. Like give it Hyper Voice. If it wants to have a Special Normal-type STAB it'll either need Technician to power Swift, Round, or Echoed Voice up or just deal with a 60 Powered move.

The only differences I can see is that Dark Pulse (which normal Persian also got by TM), Quash, and Snarl was added to its level-up. Sadly it doesn't get a move to help its defensive capabilities now that it gets Fur Coat. Also, since it doesn't get a Special Normal-type move above 60 Power a Special set may still prefer Technician (which would also work well with Snarl). Also it can make some use of Power Gem, Thunderbolt/Thunder, and Shadow Ball.
You missed a pretty important addition; it gets Parting Shot now.

This thing is just build for the sole purpose of pissing people off with a 3 move combination of Foul Play, Snarl and Parting Shot. When we get move tutors for knock off, its movepool will be complete (I seriously hope swag-play is still banned for gen VII).

Probably will reside in a lower tier, but its the kind of pokemon that can find a (probably niche) use in any tier really.

Alola Persian @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Snarl
-Hidden Power Poison
-Nasty Plot
-Parting Shot

Fun glass canon?
Thoughts?

Can't get past that round head, if it kept Persian's head and if the color was a little darker, it could have been a pretty sleek panther, oh well.

Alola Persian @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Timid Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Snarl
-Hidden Power Poison
-Nasty Plot
-Parting Shot

Fun glass canon?
Thoughts?
I dig it, kinda what I was leaning towards, mainly cuz I just wanna use Snarl. :)

I think taking more of a supporting/utility role is better than trying to make offensive sets with Technician. It doesn't really have a movepool or stats for that imo. Fur Coat + Parting Shot + 115 base speed is really good, especially since Z-Parting Shot restores HP of your switch-in.

I could see a set such as the following being really useful:

Persian @ Leftovers / Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic

A fast Taunt + Toxic makes it useful against slower teams while a quick Parting Shot is great vs offense. STAB Foul Play helps offset its crappy attacking stats (assuming Foul Play and Parting Shot can both be bred onto it).

Fur Coat makes it surprisingly bulky. The EV spread lets it live a +1 Flare Blitz from Jolly Charizard X

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 24 Def Fur Coat Persian: 279-328 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You know what. This set is really helpful. I really like how GF has increased this Pokemon's stats by giving it Fur Coat without actually increasing BST. It's got some really neat utility with Parting Shot and the other moves you've chosen are really good for stall breaking. Nice set!

On a non-competitive note, this thing is the ugliest and most disappointing designs for an Alolan Pokemon to my liking. Dugtrio isn't really that cool either but still. In saying that, I am surprised at its good potential.

Last edited:
I think with Darkinium-Z, A-Persian is going to be an awesome utility teammate with a 115 base speed tier and access to Parting Shot (And its Z-Move), Taunt, Fake Out, Quash/Feint (for doubles), Snarl, hell even torment if you wanted to screw with some choice item users in doubles (It would outspeed scarfed positive base 60s and neutral 70s), and can probably take a decent hit or two on the physical side with Fur Coat. Definitely going to see if I can fit it in a team somewhere.

Since A-Persian is one of, if not the only, fast Dark types of seventh gen, how much does it benefit from Dark's newfound immunity to Prankster?

Since A-Persian is one of, if not the only, fast Dark types of seventh gen, how much does it benefit from Dark's newfound immunity to Prankster?
It seems like a very rare occurrence, especially given that Mega-Sab doesn't get Prankster on the first turn, if it opts to Mega, but I'm sure will surprise some people on rare occasion.

It's a knock off switch-in, prankster switch in (pivoting on T-Waves or Will' O could be nice), blanket check to physcial 'Mons (Foul Play is cool), and a better Healing Wish user. Not to mention it can use regular Parting Shot, which is an arguably better U-Turn. Seems like it has it's niches in the game, however insignificant they might be in some games. I think it has potential, for one. I will have to see how good Dark-typing is defensively, and how it's bulk actually manages to hold up.

So your speed effects, but certain abilities do not? Other then prankster what other Abilities got effected like this?
Another example is say Mega Swampert. If it's already raining, the turn you click the mega button is when your speed gets doubled in the rain. Before you'd have to wait until after your mega turn is over. Or say Mega Beedrill now outspeeds everything and doesn't need to run protect.

Another example is say Mega Swampert. If it's already raining, the turn you click the mega button is when your speed gets doubled in the rain. Before you'd have to wait until after your mega turn is over. Or say Mega Beedrill now outspeeds everything and doesn't need to run protect.
Always liked Beedrill, never got to use its Mega. With that buff, and the Fell Stinger buff, I think Mega Beedrill is going to be the first mega I use in a team this gen.

Persian pls don't be big headed and stop holding your breath

Look at you, you're all blue now from holding that breath for a month just because you wanted to look like an Alolan Form

Last edited:
So your speed effects, but certain abilities do not? Other then prankster what other Abilities got effected like this?
Mega-Pert, Mega-Sabo only for abilities, but Diancie, Beedrill, Medicham, Lopunny appreciate it due to Speed reasons. They can now forgo Protect and Fake Out for extra coverage, if they so choose!

Persian pls don't be big headed and stop holding your breath
In some cultures, the world is actually on the back of a turtle head of a Persian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)