[AMA] Tomahawk9

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: Tomahawk9

Areas of Expertise: Rate My Team, Ruins Of Alph, The Smog, Overused

Background: I made my account in October 2010, looking for some advice on my awesome Kecleon team that I used in DPP UU. I really appreciated the help I got from other users, and it made me stick around on Smogon. I saw the contributions some other users made, and what mostly interested me was the Rate My Team forum, both posting great teams but mainly helping other users with their teams. I wanted to do such things myself as well, but due to my inexperience I didn't really have the skill. I still started rating teams though, and after a while those rates got noticably better, as well as my battling and teambuilding skill. After a while, I even got a badge for it!

Other than that, I still have soft spot for DPP OU, as it is by far my favorite tier. If you want to test it, feel free to message me! I am more than glad to play. I also have written a couple of Smog Articles, which I am really proud of, as I used to read The Smog and thought it was awesome (still do). A little over a year ago (I think), I quit, but a few months ago I returned, can't really quit this game forever!

Hobbies: Other than Pokémon, probably standard stuff: I enjoy watching movies and series, as well as playing games. Also enjoy playing piano or keyboard and the great sport soccer. And I hang out with my friends a lot, but I don't think that counts as a hobby.

Favorite Pokemon: Nidoking.

Good Questions to Ask Me: For Pokémon-related things, the best things to ask me are about Team Rating and DPP OU, but you can also ask me about XY OU or Ubers. Feel free to ask me anything though, even about non-Pokémon-related things.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
What are some things you like / dislike about XY compared to DPP?

If there was one thing you would change about RMT right now what would it be?

How would you recommend new players get started with playing past gens?

What are some things you like / dislike about XY compared to DPP?
Team Preview is actually pretty cool in my opinion, it allows you to setup a gameplan easier and also removes leads (though leads are also fun sometimes). What I like more about DPP though is honestly the metagame, it is great in my opinion because a lot of different teamstyles are viable: in XY I find it really to hard to make a Spikes-based balanced work for example, which is my favorite type of DPP OU team. In DPP pretty much every style team can do great. Though my experience with XY so far has been positive as well, it's a lot better than BW.

If there was one thing you would change about RMT right now what would it be?
Increase activity! Honestly, the activity in RMT is a little on the low side right now, it would be great if more people could get involved.

How would you recommend new players get started with playing past gens?
Just start playing some battles! Use some teams you can find in the RMT Archive for DPP teams, or this Ruins of Alph thread for ADV teams, and find a ladder battle. Use a couple of different teams, and after that start building your own. After a while you should have a really good feel of the metagame, and it should be really fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)