Monotype Amber Horns: A Hyper Offensive Bug Team (peaked 1694)

Hey it's GoldenTorkoal with my second RMT, about an hyper offensive Bug team i've been working since the beginning of the gen built around the best mega Bug can offer: Mega Pinsir. This is also the team i've enjoyed the most during this gen, since i like this playstyle. Although the team is pretty standard i just wanted to share a explanation of it, mainly because Bug is my favourite type. I also have to say that this is the team i've been more successful with, getting around 1700 on ladder, which for a medium player like me it's pretty good. Let's have a look to 'Amber Horns'.

- I started to build the team about what i think is the best mega Bug can offer: Mega Pinsir. Its ability, bulk to have more opportunities to set up and access to priority, make hard to miss the opportunity to use this monster.
- Volcarona was selected as the next member of the team for pretty obvious reasons. Mega Pinsir can't normally break through things like Skarmory or Celesteela, and Volcarona just destroy these steel walls. This bug is a 'must' for every bug team since it eases a lot the steel matchup.
- Scizor closes the main core of this team, with its access to priority to hit so hard and ease the matchup against Rock, Ice and Fairy. A Bug team always need things to check Rock moves, which otherwise would destroy the squad.
- Next thing the team needed was the singularity for which Bug teams are known: webs. Galvantula not only gave me webs, it also helped a lot against Flying and Water, two types that can be difficult to deal with for Bug.
- After the offensive core and webs, it's pretty obvious that the team needed hazard removal. Armaldo is the best hazard remover to fit into this team, since it's not a passive mon like Forretress, and can check once things like Mega Charizard Y.
- The last slot was filled with the blue beetle to have some sort of speed control outside of webs. Moxie Scarf Hera is another mon that gives a lot of things to teams like this, for example helping in the Fire matchup. I have to say that Araquanid was initially in this slot since i wanted to try it, and although it helped a lot to take special hits and deal with things like scarf Hydreigon and Fire mons, the spider was a one-dimensional.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Sword Dance
Frustration
Quick Attack
Close Combat

Mega Pinsir is just a beast. I love how this monster destroys almost everything in the meta. Hyper Cutter is the selected ability before mega evolving, since it allows Mega Pinsir to avoid Intimidate's Atk lowering from mons like Landorus-T or Staraptor. The bulk this bug has, added to the fact that it can learn Sword Dance, provide a lot of opportunities to set up and start hitting the opposing team really hard. This also helps Mega Pinsir to break most of balance teams. Its ability, Aerilate, gives Mega Pinsir even more destruction power giving it access to viable Flying STAB: Frustration is the most powerful STAB move it can learn, and is chosen over Return to be able to win 1vs1 against scarf Ditto, and Quick Attack provides priority to help with offensive teams with faster threats. Close Combat is the last move, since it helps a lot against Steel and Rock, two types that resist Mega Pinsir's STAB combination, and to have a neutral move to hit Rotom-W, who would otherwise completely wall Mega Pinsir. It's chosen over Earthquake since Doublade is not very common in the meta.

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Quiver Dance
Fire Blast
Giga Drain
Hidden Power [Ground]

If you're going to use a Bug team, make sure it has Volcarona. The 'fire bug' is a 'must' in every bug team since it helps a lot with one of the worst matchups for Bug: Steel. Volcarona not only helps with Steel; it's a massive threat for Steel teams. Once you've get ridden of Heatran's air balloon, it's just a matter of time and finding the correct moment that Volcarona sets up and sweeps the whole Steel team. Quiver Dance is the move that make this bug so good and Fire Blast is the STAB chosen to hit as hard as possible, although the less accuracy. Giga Drain is a coverage move to hit effectively opposing Water mons like Rotom-W or Seismitoad, with the added effect of getting extra health. Hidden Power Ground is the last move chosen for Volcarona to make it able to destroy Steel once Heatran has lost its air balloon, who would otherwise completely wall it. Firium Z+Fire Blast makes Inferno Overdrive a nuclear weapon, that prevents things that could check Volcarona in the past from disturbing it. Psychic would be an option for dealing with Toxapex, but i found that would be more of a tourney thing.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Knock Off

The final member of the offensive core of the team. Scizor is so good for Bug teams, and i don't know what would keep somebody away for using it or its mega version in a Bug team. With an impressive Atk stat, adamant nature and Technician, we have in Scizor a mon to hit decently hard. Its typing is really good to, with a singular weakness in Fire (although it's x4). Bullet Punch is the most important move for Scizor, as it gives it priority+STAB to check faster threats for the team like scarf Latios and scarf Hydreigon, which Scizor can killed if they have got some chip damage. This move also provides Bug an efficient way to deal with Fairy, one of the top types this gen, and it's really difficult for opposing Rock and Ice teams to deal with Scizor. U-turn is a STAB to keep momentum and allow its teammates to come in for free. This move along with Knock Off form a combo that is a threat to Psychic teams, which only have Victini to check it. Knock Off also helps against Ghost in general, although is not a common type, and Marowak-A and Jellicent in particular. Superpower is a coverage move mainly for Steel types such as Ferrothorn.

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
Sticky Web
Thunder
Energy Ball
Hiden Power [Ice]

One of my favourite mons of all time and the member of the team that provides speed control in most of situations. Sticky Web is one asset that makes Bug teams different from the others, since only Rock with Shuckle has access to it (Water has Surskit but nobody uses that tiny bug). Webs are pretty important for the team to deal better with threats like scarf Excadrill and scarf Victini, which get outspeeded by Mega Pinsir and Heracross when webs are up. I prefer Galvantula as the sticky web user over Shuckle, because it gives the team more offensive presence. But the yellow spider has a bigger role than just setting the webs for the team. And that's why i love Galvantula. It helps a lot in a really difficult matchup for Bug: Flying. Compound Eyes+Thunder allow Galvantula to have a powerful STAB move with almost 100 % accuracy, that combined with Hidden Power Ice, gives it a perfect coverage against Flying teams. That HP Ice mainly helps with Landorus-T, Garchomp, Gliscor, Dragonite and Salamence. Galvantula also does a great job against opposing Water teams, since i run Energy Ball combined with Thunder, a perfect coverage for Water matchup. That grass move lets Galvantula hit x4 mons like Seismitoad, Gastrodon or Swampert, which are switchins for Thunder. Although Focus Sash is the starndard item for Galvantula, i chose Life Orb to have more offensive presence: having a chance to OHKO Garchomp and Gliscor, and 2OHKO Hippowdon.

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
Rock Slide
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Knock Off

The prehistoric bug is a very important member of this team, as it's the hazard controller mainly for rocks, who would otherwise wear down the team badly. Armaldo also learns Stealth Rock to help the offensive core of the team in getting kills. Full HP and SpD investment and a Careful Nature allow Armaldo to avoid OHKO from Mega Charizard Y in Sun at full health. Rock Slide is the STAB chosen over Stone Edge because it helps dealing with SubToxic Zapdos. Armaldo's Rock Slide and decent Attack allows it to threat the defoggers Flying can have, which is really useful for a Bug team. Knock Off is an utility move to remove items like Eviolite from Chansey and Porygon2 or Choice Scarf from Victini. It would appear that Knock Off could be replaced with another move, but that would make almost an autolose against Steel teams with Rocky Helmet Skarmory. Armaldo needs that Knock Off to remove Rocky Helmet from Skarmory so it can spin in front of it. In conclusion, never run Armaldo without Knock Off.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
Megahorn
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Heracross is pretty self explanatory, a good late game cleaner and a snowball sweeper with the combination of Choice Scarf and Moxie, and its access to good STAB and coverage moves. Megahorn with 120 base power and STAB can destroy Psychic, Dark and Grass teams, which is worthy although not having 100 % accuracy. Close Combat is the other STAB for the blue beetle, to give the team another wincon against Steel teams once Skarmory and Celesteela are gone or weakened. It's also a move to break Normal teams, which have a powerful defensive core in Chansey and Porygon2. The other 2 moves are for coverage: Earthquake and Stone Edge. The combination of those 2 is a threat for Fire teams, which won't be able to check Heracross if Torkoal is gone or low healthy or don't have a faster scarfer. Earthquake also provides the team another way to hit effectively Toxapex, appart from Galvantula. Stone Edge is here for the Flying mons too. Heracross also provides the team with a source of speed control outside of webs.

I hope you enjoyed the team. As i've said before, this has been the team i've had more success with, and has helped me to climb in the ladder to #22, a fact that 6 months ago seemed impossible since i'm not a great player. I was looking forward to bringing an RMT about my favourite type and finally i did it. I'm really happy with the final result of this team and hope you enjoy using it. Thanks for reading!

Mega Charizard X destroys the team if it gets a Dragon Dance and it isn't low HP, so rocks are pretty important to check this monster. If it's behind Rotom-H's screens it's an autolose for the team.

Normal teams with Mega Pidgeot and scarf Ditto are a massive threat for this team. Scarf Ditto prevents you from using Sword Dance with Mega Pinsir, so defensive Staraptor will wall it (walling Heracross too if it doesn't get a boost and Staraptor is low HP). Bird Jesus will get a kill every time it switches in. In conclusion, rocks are very important to pressure Staraptor and you'll have to double almost perfectly to have a chance to win.

or

Sand teams are difficult to deal with, since Sand Rush Excadrill will outspeed all the team and has access to Rock Slide and Earthquake. Webs and +1 Spe Volcarona would be enough to break this ground teams but here comes Garchomp or Mega Garchomp, with access to Rock moves and Earthquake and a typing that Volcarona cannot kill with the set above.

Rain teams if played well have a 100 % chance of winning against this team with the recent addition of Mega Swampert. One could think that webs+Galvantula would be enough to have a decent chance to winning this matchup, but most of rain teams run scarf Pelipper. If you lead Galvantula they'll switch out Pelipper with U-turn, and if your opponent is not very experienced normally, won't expect the Energy Ball so you'll be able to kill Swampert. But the Kingdra would just clean your team, since it OHKOs everything under rain with Surf.

Dragon has always been a difficult matchup for Bug. Tankchomp will prevent Armaldo from spinning with Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet, and if your opponent sees Galvantula's HP Ice coming, it would switch out to Goodra, who would take almost no damage and as access to Flamethrower. Scarf Latios and scarf Hydreigon are also big threats, and you'll need a combination of Rocks, Scizor's Bullet Punch and Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack, to check them.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Moosical for making the banner and the titles of this RMT (again). I'm so happy with how they look, they're awesome
stat1c for the time we've spent talking about Bug teams, specially Venomoth The God
Tyke for suggesting me replacing Araquanid with Heracross, which make the team much better
LO Garchomp a great guy and good player i met on the ladder. Don't forget to read the RMT this guy wrote

Last edited:
Nice team! I just have a few changes I think would really help your team out.

First and most importantly is please use Focus Sash on Galvantula. Life Orb just isn't doing enough for you:
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp-Mega: 291-348 (81.5 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Even with Stealth Rock up, Galvantula never OHKOes Gliscor and will never OHKO Mega Garchomp without it. Focus Sash is simply way too important when your team is so weak to Psychic. It's also crucial for making sure Galvantula can set up Sticky Web against Ground. Your win condition is not having Galvantula get miracle damage; you win when Volcarona gets +1 and sweeps with Giga Drain because -1 Sand Rush Excadrill doesn't outspeed it and you properly chipped Garchomp. That's 90% of the reason you're even using Giga Drain in the first place because Toxapex walls non-Psychic, Mantine walls non-Hidden Power Electric, and Swift Swim isn't threatened by Volcarona to begin with. Instead, Focus Sash Galvantula makes Bug vs balance Water really good for you. Guaranteed Sticky Web means Mega Pinsir is almost untouchable, since Greninja and Choice Specs Keldeo no longer outspeed it. Focus Sash also pretty much guarantees a KO, since nothing really survives taking hits from Galvantula to begin with.

Second, Rock Slide Armaldo actually doesn't do anything to SubToxic Zapdos. Use Stone Edge instead. In fact, it's worse because Zapdos gets net healing when it Roosts on Rock Slide where Stone Edge can actually threaten it. Pressure will completely stall out Rock Slide, so this isn't a threat. Also, even Mantine can Defog on Armaldo if you use Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge! That's certainly not what you want to happen. Rock Slide also doesn't have a guaranteed OHKO on Victini, in fact it has less of a chance to KO than Stone Edge even has to miss. Azumarill also cannot safely Belly Drum when Stone Edge can outright KO it from 50% HP, of course Rock Slide fails to have any chance. Stone Edge can OHKO offensive Pelipper (who even uses this?), which you're worried about. More realistically, it 2HKOes physically defensive, which Rock Slide cannot. This prevents Pelipper from using U-turn. Finally, Stone Edge OHKOes Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock, something that is pretty helpful when you don't have Araquanid and Fire can be very difficult to handle. Overall, having the extra damage far outweighs Rock Slide's higher PP count.

Third, Earthquake Heracross is pretty questionable. I know it "helps" against Fire, but it actually makes you automatically lose. The moment you click Earthquake to get a KO, Mega Charizard X wins the game, which is something you probably don't want to happen. As I've mentioned before, your team is quite weak to Psychic due to not using Bug Buzz on Volcarona. Instead of Earthquake, I would recommend Pursuit, which allows you to consistently beat Psychic. After Victini uses V-create, Pursuit does 75%, which puts it into range of Stealth Rock. Worst case scenario, you don't have Stealth Rock up, Victini can never use V-create for fear of Pursuit, meaning Psychic is going to have a very hard time beating even Bug Buzz-less Volcarona. Also, Toxapex isn't even 2HKOed by Earthquake with Stealth Rock up, so it's really not helping at all (Mega Venusaur walls Heracross either way as well).

I hope this helps improve your team's consistency. Good luck with the team!

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Nice team! I just have a few changes I think would really help your team out.

First and most importantly is please use Focus Sash on Galvantula. Life Orb just isn't doing enough for you:
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp-Mega: 291-348 (81.5 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Galvantula Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 200+ SpD Gliscor: 260-307 (73.8 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

Even with Stealth Rock up, Galvantula never OHKOes Gliscor and will never OHKO Mega Garchomp without it. Focus Sash is simply way too important when your team is so weak to Psychic. It's also crucial for making sure Galvantula can set up Sticky Web against Ground. Your win condition is not having Galvantula get miracle damage; you win when Volcarona gets +1 and sweeps with Giga Drain because -1 Sand Rush Excadrill doesn't outspeed it and you properly chipped Garchomp. That's 90% of the reason you're even using Giga Drain in the first place because Toxapex walls non-Psychic, Mantine walls non-Hidden Power Electric, and Swift Swim isn't threatened by Volcarona to begin with. Instead, Focus Sash Galvantula makes Bug vs balance Water really good for you. Guaranteed Sticky Web means Mega Pinsir is almost untouchable, since Greninja and Choice Specs Keldeo no longer outspeed it. Focus Sash also pretty much guarantees a KO, since nothing really survives taking hits from Galvantula to begin with.

Second, Rock Slide Armaldo actually doesn't do anything to SubToxic Zapdos. Use Stone Edge instead. In fact, it's worse because Zapdos gets net healing when it Roosts on Rock Slide where Stone Edge can actually threaten it. Pressure will completely stall out Rock Slide, so this isn't a threat. Also, even Mantine can Defog on Armaldo if you use Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge! That's certainly not what you want to happen. Rock Slide also doesn't have a guaranteed OHKO on Victini, in fact it has less of a chance to KO than Stone Edge even has to miss. Azumarill also cannot safely Belly Drum when Stone Edge can outright KO it from 50% HP, of course Rock Slide fails to have any chance. Stone Edge can OHKO offensive Pelipper (who even uses this?), which you're worried about. More realistically, it 2HKOes physically defensive, which Rock Slide cannot. This prevents Pelipper from using U-turn. Finally, Stone Edge OHKOes Alolan Marowak after Stealth Rock, something that is pretty helpful when you don't have Araquanid and Fire can be very difficult to handle. Overall, having the extra damage far outweighs Rock Slide's higher PP count.

Third, Earthquake Heracross is pretty questionable. I know it "helps" against Fire, but it actually makes you automatically lose. The moment you click Earthquake to get a KO, Mega Charizard X wins the game, which is something you probably don't want to happen. As I've mentioned before, your team is quite weak to Psychic due to not using Bug Buzz on Volcarona. Instead of Earthquake, I would recommend Pursuit, which allows you to consistently beat Psychic. After Victini uses V-create, Pursuit does 75%, which puts it into range of Stealth Rock. Worst case scenario, you don't have Stealth Rock up, Victini can never use V-create for fear of Pursuit, meaning Psychic is going to have a very hard time beating even Bug Buzz-less Volcarona. Also, Toxapex isn't even 2HKOed by Earthquake with Stealth Rock up, so it's really not helping at all (Mega Venusaur walls Heracross either way as well).

I hope this helps improve your team's consistency. Good luck with the team!

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
Thanks for your rate Eien ! I agree with you in all the changes you proposed, and they'll make the team even better. It means a lot for me that a player of your level in the Monotype Community rate my team, so thank you again for the advices and the rate.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)