Art for Articles

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OP was shamelessly stolen from macle and updated by anto || Art was made by Bummer; this thread was also approved by him

Here we are again!

Welcome to the third iteration of Art for Articles! Apart from the various Pokémon analyses that's hosted on Smogon, there are also a large number of on-site articles about various subjects, be it battle strategies, in-game mechanics, or anything else that's related to competitive Pokémon play.

All of these articles can be improved with appropriate illustrations, which is why this thread exists within Smeargle's Studio. Any contributions to this project is greatly appreciated and will be counted towards earning you an art badge, as specified in this thread.

However, since these are images that will go directly on-site, we reserve the right to reject any images we don't feel represent the article, or if it's lacking in quality. So in an attempt to avoid situations where someone makes an image that won't be used, we're now only accepting contributions from approved artists, along with artists who already has been rewarded with the art badge.

Look over the index of available articles (seen below) and decide for yourself which one you'd like to illustrate. When you've made your choice, make a new post in this thread stating the name of the article, as well as a link to it.

Along with your reservation, we'd also appreciate if you could give any details on what you were planning to draw, as opposed to just saying "I'll take this one". The title of most articles can alone give you a good idea of what the illustration should contain, or you can read through the article to find more examples. Nonetheless, stating your intentions is still good practise, as someone more knowledgeable on the subject may suggest or correct something before the image is completed, which is especially true if you'd like to draw a Pokemon that may not be the best example but still relevant to the article. If unsure, you may even ask in this thread what the image should contain. We're all here to help.

There are no set deadlines for any of the articles, but if you reserve one, do try to get it done in about a month's time or less. Moreover, you may only reserve two articles at a time. If you'd like to change your reservation, just make a new post.

Even if you're approved or badged, we will judge each image independently, and we'll either give suggestions or reject an image if we feel it doesn't represent the article well.

Some of the articles are still a work-in-progress, and if any of the links in the index is broken or leads to a locked thread, feel free to bring it up in the thread or contact any of the studio's moderators. Additionally, not all articles in the index may be eligible for art; it depends how creative you are.

List of Articles that need Art - Assigned Artists
IN-GAME
Home Page Revamp

Introductory

Miscellaneous
Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness TM Location List

RNG Mechanics
BW PPRNG Guide
Emerald RNG Guide
Ruby and Sapphire RNG Manipulation of Method 1 Pokemon and TID/SID Guide
The Diamond and Pearl Wandering NPC List - Breadboy
The Process of PID and IV Creation of Non-Bred Pokémon

Battling

Guides

X&Y TM Location Guide
The 4th Generation EVing Manual
Capturing FRLG Legendaries
EV Training In Emerald
EV Training in FireRed and LeafGreen
Pokemon XD Orre Colosseum Guide
All About Stats, Training, and Breeding in RBY/GSC

Battle Challenges
Battle Subway Pokémon
Introduction to the D/P Battle Tower
The D/P Battle Tower Pokémon
Emerald Battle Pyramid Wild Pokémon Guide

DP
Introductory
Introduction to Competitive Pokemon

Mechanics
The Complete Damage Formula for Diamond & Pearl
Battle Mechanics at Level 50
Move Priority
Move Restriction Guide
Stats in DP

Lower Priority (Articles that already have a lot of Pokémon images and/or screenshots)

Archive (Articles that already have art)
IN-GAME
Miscellaneous
Third Generation Move Tutor List - Breadboy
Fourth Generation Move Tutor List - JustoonSmitts
BW Tips and Tricks - CBMeadow
Competitive Glitches in Generation IV - Bummer
Guide to the Underground - Cresselia92
Platinum TM/HM Location Guide - Kaiju Bunny
DP TM/HM Location Guide - Bummer
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Berries - Danmire
Effort Values and Individual Values - TeraVolt
GSC TM Locations - Bummer
Pal Park Guide . Bummer
Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald In-Game Tiers - Blue Frog
3rd Generation Tips and Tricks - The Knights of Wario Land
RBY Tips and Tricks - BinarySolo

RNG Mechanics
A Guide to Sweet Scent in the Fourth Generation - raikou00
Deducing Your Secret ID in the Third and Fourth Generations - Bummer
BW RNG Guide - Bummer
DPP / HGSS RNG Guide - Bummer

Battling
Introduction to Competitive Pokemon - JustoonSmitts
Introduction to Wi-Fi in the 4th Generation - Furosuto
Introduction to Wi-Fi in the 5th Generation - Bummer
(Introduction to Battle Subway) Part 1 & Part 2 - BlueberryBlanket

Guides
Capturing Black 2 and White 2 Legendaries - AmirAlexander
Capturing BW Legendaries - TeraVolt
BW Items Location - Birkal
Capturing HGSS Legendaries - BlueFrog
Capturing Platinum Legendaries - Komodo
The Guide to Chaining - Komodo
Capturing Platinum Legendaries - Komodo
Breeding Guide - Part I - macle
Breeding Guide - Part II - Gerard
Guide to Event Pokemon and Moves - Sephirona
Little Cup EVing Manual - Komodo
The Secret Base Training Guide - Lanturn314
Capture Mechanics (In-Depth) - The Knights of Wario Land
How to Use Sketch - Magistrum
Pokemon Dream Radar Guide - Bummer
Capturing DP Legendaries - Bummer
Guide to the Poke Radar - Bummer
(Breeding Guide) Part 3: Perfect IVs & Part 4: Hidden Power - Bummer
Item Location Maps in Emerald - Bummer
Special Moves in Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness - Bummer

Battle Challenges
None!

Mechanics
Status in DP - deer/imas

DP

Last edited by a moderator:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If it's fine, may I take Capturing RSE Legendaries and Emerald Wild Pokemon. I plan on drawing a Trainer finding a wild Latias/Latios for the legendaries and a Trainer surfing and/or in tall grass hunting for the wilds. If certain sketches are needed I could create some real quick.
posting WIPs in general is great, since feedback given early can help any artist avoid some heavy work that otherwise could have been nipped in the bud

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here are my two sketches that I plan on creating
The first image leaves me somewhat concerned as the sketch still leaves me uncertain how both Latias and May will look like in their lineart. When sketching, try to use a brush with lower opacity, so that you can reinforce the strokes/outlines you want to focus on in the lineart, since right now, every sketch stroke seem equally emphasized.

Other two sketches seems nice, just don't forget Wailmer's fins :P

Hi, guys! I'm thinking of doing "Introduction to Competitive Pokemon" if it's avaliable: while it appears to be open, it's also in the folder for "completed art". In addition, it seems to be a rather popular piece (since it took 9 people to write it!) so I'm wary about committing to it if it's already in the works. I would draw a young PKMN Trainer Dawn with an unevolved Piplup on one side, in profile, and a taller, more battle-hardened Cynthia with her own cooler-looking lucario facing her directly. If I get the go-ahead, I'll make a sketch and post it on here.

If not, I would like to pick A Guide to Maison, with a piece as follows: In the foreground, a picture of the maison: with, in the background, appearing as if in the sky, the 4 chatelaines looking down imposingly at the forefront of the camera. I'll have a sketch of this soon..
Thanks! Looking forward to contributing art! ^_^

Edit: I'd like to reserve both, then. I'll put priority on "Intro to Competitive".

Last edited:

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, guys! I'm thinking of doing "Introduction to Competitive Pokemon" if it's avaliable: while it appears to be open, it's also in the folder for "completed art". In addition, it seems to be a rather popular piece (since it took 9 people to write it!) so I'm wary about committing to it if it's already in the works. I would draw a young PKMN Trainer Dawn with an unevolved Piplup on one side, in profile, and a taller, more battle-hardened Cynthia with her own cooler-looking lucario facing her directly. If I get the go-ahead, I'll make a sketch and post it on here.

If not, I would like to pick A Guide to Maison, with a piece as follows: In the foreground, a picture of the maison: with, in the background, appearing as if in the sky, the 4 chatelaines looking down imposingly at the forefront of the camera. I'll have a sketch of this soon..
Thanks! Looking forward to contributing art! ^_^
it is indeed open for reservation! you can do both or either, your choice :heart: grats on approved artist, and thanks for helping out

I've found some time to devote to this, so I've used it to establish the base colors and such for the Battle Maison Article.
At this point I've already started work on the final thing.

EDIT: I worked on it for a good while, and I've emerged with this: I'm turning in for the night, with that. I'll pick it up on the morrow, hopefully finishing it the same day. Thanks!

Last edited:
And Here is my finished product! I'm not sure if I have any work left, if the image is in the correct size, or else.. but, here's what I'm going to hand in here.
EDIT: Did what bummer suggested, it looks better now.
MAISON.png

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
I'd say the top of the house could have some highlights lining the top of it to really show how it's clearly in the foreground and the others floating in the background, otherwise it's cool!

Thanks, Anto! Although, I did update the art to make it more snappy. If you could put up this new one instead, that'd be the best!
MAISON.png

EDIT! In addition, I have a clear idea of what to do in cant say's article so I'd like to reserve that and let him/her know I'm putting something in the works for it

The theme is "soft-resetting", so I was thinking of having a power button on the 3ds as the focal point, with various legendaries being illuminated by it on the sidelines. In addition, I'd put the "saved" message from ORAS right above the main drawing to seal the deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: ant

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
Thanks, Anto! Although, I did update the art to make it more snappy. If you could put up this new one instead, that'd be the best!
View attachment 51598

EDIT! In addition, I have a clear idea of what to do in cant say's article so I'd like to reserve that and let him/her know I'm putting something in the works for it

The theme is "soft-resetting", so I was thinking of having a power button on the 3ds as the focal point, with various legendaries being illuminated by it on the sidelines. In addition, I'd put the "saved" message from ORAS right above the main drawing to seal the deal.
sorry for taking so long, i was busy with things irl! but i did. assuming cant say is ok with that since no reply. you can go ahead, sounds great to me :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
whoops I never saw this (probs coz I was highlighted in an edit)

that idea sounds really cool, sorta similar to what I was thinking (I've had many different ideas in which direction the art could go though haha).

also yeah I've been meaning to update that article, hopefully I'll have some time in the near future

Reactions: ant

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I've been working on these for a little over a month now although not fully finished they are pretty close to be, so I think I'll post my progression while looking for a little feedback.

Edit: both images are done:
upload_2015-11-16_20-22-55.png
upload_2015-11-16_20-23-11.png

Last edited:

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
I've been working on these for a little over a month now although not fully finished they are pretty close to be, so I think I'll post my progression while looking for a little feedback.

Edit: both images are done:
View attachment 53058View attachment 53059

super late reply but I had to take a few weeks break. Im back and I uplaoded these things. thanks a lot everyone, the project is still alive!

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/capturing_rse_legendaries
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/emerald_wild_pokemon

I ALSO FINALLY FIXED THAT WILD MONS HTML

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)