Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: Monotype Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably studying is killing me way too much and I can't notice noticeable things anymore, but where is the thread that was called something like "EV and Sets Compendium"? I'm searching for Water Tentacruel's complicated EV spread.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to Monotype, and I would like to know if there is a viability rankings for how good each type is in the meta. If not may I ask which types are currently Good, viable, or bad?

Hi I'm new to Monotype, and I would like to know if there is a viability rankings for how good each type is in the meta. If not may I ask which types are currently Good, viable, or bad?
There is a VR, here's the link to that: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-viability-rankings-v2.3575778/

As for good types, generally speaking Flying, Psychic, and Water are probably the best types atm, and I personally wouldn't reccomend using Ghost, Ice, and Rock without some experience/you're up for a challenge. If you need anything else, let us know, and I hope you enjoy the metagame! :)

You do this:
(Bracket)hide(bracket)
(What you want)
(Bracket)/hide(bracket)

[ ]=Brackets btw

And don't apologize man, it's all good, we're here to help. :)

Hey, is HP Grass on Keldeo completely unviable and stupid? Because this guy certainly seems to think so:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-448429900

And here I thought that it was surprisingly spammable against Water and Ground teams, and great for luring Water Absorb users like Gastrodon. Not to mention the fact that I started using it because of a suggestion from someone in an RMT thread, and nobody called that guy out. So what's the deal?

(For the record, he had beaten me once with a Flying team, not "30 times".)

Hey, is HP Grass on Keldeo completely unviable and stupid? Because this guy certainly seems to think so:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-448429900

And here I thought that it was surprisingly spammable against Water and Ground teams, and great for luring Water Absorb users like Gastrodon. Not to mention the fact that I started using it because of a suggestion from someone in an RMT thread, and nobody called that guy out. So what's the deal?

(For the record, he had beaten me once with a Flying team, not "30 times".)
It isnt stupid, it's actually a very viable coverage option to hit bulky water types. Before calling some person out here, maybe ask him, 'hey how come you run this?', because it very well may not be as stupid as you may think it is.

Edit: I apologize I misunderstood. I'd ignore him, it's not worth you're time buddy.

It isnt stupid, it's actually a very viable coverage option to hit bulky water types. Before calling some person out here, maybe ask him, 'hey how come you run this?', because it very well may not be as stupid as you may think it is.
Oh, no, you misunderstand. I was the one running HP Grass Keldeo (Hariyanma is my main Showdown account). I brought this up because I wanted to know if I was doing something wrong.

Oh, no, you misunderstand. I was the one running HP Grass Keldeo (Hariyanma is my main Showdown account). I brought this up because I wanted to know if I was doing something wrong.
Yea, im sorry about that, I edited my post. I guess some nice advice for the future regardless huh? xD

Yea, im sorry about that, I edited my post. I guess some nice advice for the future regardless huh? xD
It is! And I totally agree with you. We should approach players who use unusual sets with intrigue, not scorn. Just because you're not using a set copied and pasted from Smogon doesn't mean you're a bad player.

Hey guys, I just had a battle where someone baton passed after they got an ancientpower boost with a togekiss. I thought that the Baton Pass Clause made it forbidden to pass speed and other stats simultaneously. Anyone knows how this could happen? I saved the link when it is necessary.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
It's probably because it was an Ancient Power boost and not related to a Set-Up move.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey guys, I just had a battle where someone baton passed after they got an ancientpower boost with a togekiss. I thought that the Baton Pass Clause made it forbidden to pass speed and other stats simultaneously. Anyone knows how this could happen? I saved the link when it is necessary.
That only applies when running Baton Pass + Agility and another setup move, or something like Baton Pass + Flame Charge and Power-up Punch (or Dragon Dance) because those moves have a 100% chance to get the stat increase, while Ancient Power has a very low chance to do so in 10% and is far from a viable Baton Pass strategy.

That only applies when running Baton Pass + Agility and another setup move, or something like Baton Pass + Flame Charge and Power-up Punch (or Dragon Dance) because those moves have a 100% chance to get the stat increase, while Ancient Power has a very low chance to do so in 10% and is far from a viable Baton Pass strategy.
Ok. Thanks. I did hear from somebody who passed a shell smash once though.

Hey guys, I need help building a team for a Monotype tournament. I'm using Fighting and my opponent is using Flying. Obviously I'm going to use Mega Gallade with Thunder Punch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge but beyond that I have no idea what to do. I'm probably going to use Terrakion and a Stealth Rock setter, but does anyone have any suggestions for my team? If I'm posting in the wrong thread please let me know where I should go. Thanks

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey guys, I need help building a team for a Monotype tournament. I'm using Fighting and my opponent is using Flying. Obviously I'm going to use Mega Gallade with Thunder Punch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge but beyond that I have no idea what to do. I'm probably going to use Terrakion and a Stealth Rock setter, but does anyone have any suggestions for my team? If I'm posting in the wrong thread please let me know where I should go. Thanks
In the future I would recommend posting in our Simple Question/Simple Answer thread, but you would probably have even more luck by going to the Monotype chat room on Pokemon Showdown and asking there. You can get real-time advice if someone is willing to help you out. Good luck with the tournament!

scp edit: moved this to SQSA

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I'm going to use Mega Gallade with Thunder Punch/Ice Punch/Stone Edge
I would use Ice Punch over Thunder Punch to hit both Landos, the occasional Gliscor and Zapdos. The only mons Ice Punch doesn't really work well against is Mega Gyara, Skarm and Mega Zard Y, but Mega G is weak to fighting anyway and not too much of a problem. Terrakion can outspeed and deal with Zard Y. Skarmory may be a bit problematic but mons such as Infernape (also a SR setter if you're still looking for one) and Keldeo with HP Electric should be able to deal with it provided that you play right.

Hope that helps ;)

The Monotype Hub is a great place to look in terms of teambuilding, with a couple Sample Teams, Viability Rankings, and Role Compendium all in 1 place. Best of luck btw! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)