Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For Combusken, is there anything that Low Kick hits that Sky Uppercut doesn't?
low kick hits steelix, rhydon, and regirock harder. Pretty important targets if you plan to actually sweep with sd Combusken
Versus Lix
252 Atk Combusken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 162-192 (46 - 54.5%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Combusken Sky Uppercut vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 116-138 (32.9 - 39.2%) -- 6.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Versus Rhydon
252 Atk Combusken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 140-168 (33.8 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Combusken Sky Uppercut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 120-144 (28.9 - 34.7%) -- 6.6% chance to 3HKO

Versus Regirock
252 Atk Combusken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 146-174 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Combusken Sky Uppercut vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 102-122 (28 - 33.5%) -- 94.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also hits other things but these three are low kicks main targets. In each case you have instances where the damage from sky uppercut isnt enough, making low kick the more consistent option. Also worth noting that flare blitz can hit lix for as much damage as low kick can but avoiding the recoil damage is really good for pulling off a sweep.

Ok double post because why not. What are good pokemon to stop rain HO from steamrolling a team?
Ferroseed is pretty good. Gastro becomes decent once you have taken care of Ludicolo. The combination of them is what makes rain teams cry, in my opinion, and they form a great defensive core anyways. You have to be wary of random HP Fire/Grass, but generally speaking, you know which mons are going to run them anyways.

What I think might be a bit harder to stop these days is Victreebel. Between Weather Ball, Solar Beam and Sludge Bomb, there are very little switch ins to this thing.

I would like to point to this NU replay from Battle Factory: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlefactory-394214330
(Go to turn 47 if you don't want to watch all of it)

I figured I would ask you guys since you are familiar with NU ... as you can see, I lost a battle on the final turn because my final mon knocked out my opponent's final mon but got hit with Aftermath BEFORE my opponent's mon (Skuntank) fainted. Is Aftermath supposed to work like this? Even on the cartridge? Is there a discussion of this somewhere? Obviously, searching this forum for "Aftermath" only yields dozens and dozens of RMTs that I can't exactly wade through.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
I would like to point to this NU replay from Battle Factory: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlefactory-394214330
(Go to turn 47 if you don't want to watch all of it)

I figured I would ask you guys since you are familiar with NU ... as you can see, I lost a battle on the final turn because my final mon knocked out my opponent's final mon but got hit with Aftermath BEFORE my opponent's mon (Skuntank) fainted. Is Aftermath supposed to work like this? Even on the cartridge? Is there a discussion of this somewhere? Obviously, searching this forum for "Aftermath" only yields dozens and dozens of RMTs that I can't exactly wade through.
Yeah this is how Aftermath is meant to function. Basically if a Pokémon’s Ability (so something like Iron Barbs or in this case Aftermath) or held item (like Rocky Helmet) results in both player’s final Pokémon fainting, the player whose Pokémon had the damaging ability would win. So in this case, because your opponent's last Pokemon was Skuntank with Aftermath, and you both fainted on that turn, he won the game.

Yeah this is how Aftermath is meant to function. Basically if a Pokémon’s Ability (so something like Iron Barbs or in this case Aftermath) or held item (like Rocky Helmet) results in both player’s final Pokémon fainting, the player whose Pokémon had the damaging ability would win. So in this case, because your opponent's last Pokemon was Skuntank with Aftermath, and you both fainted on that turn, he won the game.
Do Destiny Bond and Explosion work the same way?

Could reverse Chickenpass work? This means passing the attack boosts to Combusken. One hypothetical way to do this is Tail Glow Volbeat passing to Special Combusken (which uses Protect and/or Substitute to get speed boosts) or Mawile/Leafeon with Swords Dance and Baton Pass going to physical Combusken. In theory, this results in a Combusken with both offensive boosts and speed boosts due to its natural ability Speed Boost. Still not as good as Combusken --> Xatu, but I'm hoping reverse Chickenpass would work. Maybe someone could test this in a higher (1300+?) ladder game?
tl;dr. Volbeat --> Special Combusken, Mawile/Leafeon --> Physical Combusken. The Combusken sets I am hypothesizing are Substitute, Protect, dual STABS. Substitute is there fore getting even more speed boosts.

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a defending SPL Champion
Could reverse Chickenpass work? This means passing the attack boosts to Combusken. One hypothetical way to do this is Tail Glow Volbeat passing to Special Combusken (which uses Protect and/or Substitute to get speed boosts) or Mawile/Leafeon with Swords Dance and Baton Pass going to physical Combusken. In theory, this results in a Combusken with both offensive boosts and speed boosts due to its natural ability Speed Boost. Still not as good as Combusken --> Xatu, but I'm hoping reverse Chickenpass would work. Maybe someone could test this in a higher (1300+?) ladder game?
tl;dr. Volbeat --> Special Combusken, Mawile/Leafeon --> Physical Combusken. The Combusken sets I am hypothesizing are Substitute, Protect, dual STABS. Substitute is there fore getting even more speed boosts.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-402743357

Provided he didn't exactly have the best team nor did he play very well around the Volbeat, you can see how I was able to bring in my Volbeat relatively easily on his Sandslash and proceed to sub and glow and all that, then pass into Combusken. This thing is an enormous threat behind a sub because it can Protect and get free speed boosts, as well as him having to break my sub and then kill combusken, which is hard to do quite honestly because everything in the meta gets 2hko'd by its STABs. In theory, this should be able to work as a neat strategy, but probably isn't as good as chickenpass due to the fact that combusken is bulkier and can set up on more.

Hope I helped :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-402743357

Provided he didn't exactly have the best team nor did he play very well around the Volbeat, you can see how I was able to bring in my Volbeat relatively easily on his Sandslash and proceed to sub and glow and all that, then pass into Combusken. This thing is an enormous threat behind a sub because it can Protect and get free speed boosts, as well as him having to break my sub and then kill combusken, which is hard to do quite honestly because everything in the meta gets 2hko'd by its STABs. In theory, this should be able to work as a neat strategy, but probably isn't as good as chickenpass due to the fact that combusken is bulkier and can set up on more.

Hope I helped :)
Thanks Watchog! I wonder if Mawile/Leafeon could pass to a physical Combusken. However, Volbeat is better due to prankster status moves. The replay really helped. You're right in that regular chickenpass is much better but I think reverse chickenpass could be as good as agility pass. The main problem with reverse chicken pass is the low accuracy of Focus Blast (on Special Combusken) and the difficulty of getting a baton pass on swords dance passers. Pyroar is also a problem since it guts combusken through a substitute via hyper voice.

In similar regards to what you were trying, I have experimented with CosmicPass from Lopunny into Xatu, with Salac Berry instead of Kee Berry. It's definitely not as strong as Speed Pass, and wastes the SpD portion of the Calm Mind, but the combination of Xatu's typing, Magic Bounce and ability to recover with roost is too strong to pass it up as a recipient of passes, especially since it sports that sick STAB Stored Power. It's also neat that stuff like Ice Shard, which has been one of the offensive ways of dealing with stacked Xatu, becomes less of a nuisance with +6 Def. Don't have a replay at hand, but I will try to get a good one later today.

In similar regards to what you were trying, I have experimented with CosmicPass from Lopunny into Xatu, with Salac Berry instead of Kee Berry. It's definitely not as strong as Speed Pass, and wastes the SpD portion of the Calm Mind, but the combination of Xatu's typing, Magic Bounce and ability to recover with roost is too strong to pass it up as a recipient of passes, especially since it sports that sick STAB Stored Power. It's also neat that stuff like Ice Shard, which has been one of the offensive ways of dealing with stacked Xatu, becomes less of a nuisance with +6 Def. Don't have a replay at hand, but I will try to get a good one later today.
Maybe we could combine both of our strategies, Deeerpz. How about your Salac Berry Xatu receiving a Tail Glow pass from a Volbeat? Volbeat's prankster allows it to get off a Tail Glow and Baton pass before most other pokemon move. Use a focus sash for near-guaranteed survival. STAB Stored Power + Tail Glow is lethal.

However, do NOT pass defensive boosts to a Combusken. Combusken prefers receiving offensive boosts over defensive boosts.

Last edited:
I think with Tail Glow, good old Kee Berry might be a better idea just because it makes it so much harder to kill Xatu and it activates much quicker, too Tail Glow Stored Power is weaker than Tail Glow Psychic, too. Then again, I'm still not completely happy, as I prefer having defense boosts for Xatu, but I will tinker around with Tail Glow + Stored Power. Maybe a fast set could work, I'll figure things out.

Last edited:
Go to the NU room, be social or direct message people here on the forums. I have gotten a pretty well known OU YouTuber to build with me, just because I messaged him.
Shoot me a PM and we can start building.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yeah i'd like to second just asking people, i wouldn't get discouraged if nobody responds the first time either. I like building teams with people, but I have to be in a certain mood to do so :/ theres a lot of really cool guys in the nu room who are down to build teams pretty much any day of the week

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd also like to add that we do teambuilding workshops a decent amount too, which anyone can join in with ^.^

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is mega audino any good in nu
Yes, it has a variety of sets that it can run that range between Offensive Calm Mind, Defensive Calm Mind, Cleric, Offensive Support, and its one of the all around bulkiest Pokemon in the tier due to its high base defensive stats as well as relatively good defensive typing. Gastrodon is a good teammate for Mega Audino as it covers Poison and Steel type Pokemon.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
mega audino is a great cleric, able to fit on most bulky teams that require wish/heal bell support. It can also run cm sets capable of luring common switchins to it. it's typing also allows for a nice immunity, and the basic form's fighting weakness neutralised. it's also a staple on stall teams due to the standard form having regenerator.

Yes, it has a variety of sets that it can run that range between Offensive Calm Mind, Defensive Calm Mind, Cleric, Offensive Support, and its one of the all around bulkiest Pokemon in the tier due to its high base defensive stats as well as relatively good defensive typing. Gastrodon is a good teammate for Mega Audino as it covers Poison and Steel type Pokemon.

Oh thanks ill probably get round to breeding one then.
Can anyone suggest any other mons to go with mega audino and gastrodon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)