Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (NU Edition)

Some questions I have about the VR:

1. Why are Manectric, Turtonator, and Regice ranked? I'd also like to know what Passimian has over other Fighters. Is it just U-Turn?

2. What makes Gallade so mediocre as to be placed in C-?

Some questions I have about the VR:

1. Why are Manectric, Turtonator, and Regice ranked? I'd also like to know what Passimian has over other Fighters. Is it just U-Turn?

2. What makes Gallade so mediocre as to be placed in C-?
Manectric has fire coverage that most other electric types dont which is really nice in a steelix meta. Can't speak for regice and turtonator cause ive barely seen them.

The main thing Passimian has is decent bulk + uturn. Unlike Primeape this monkey can at least live a few hits

also the main reason i dont like Gallade right now is the lack of a dark resist and really low defense, Sneasel eats it up. Psychic typing hurts Gallade more than it helps. Other fighting types are just generally better

due to Bellossom getting a buff with getting quiver dance this gen, does it have some viability even though lilligant(a bit frailer) outshines it?

due to Bellossom getting a buff with getting quiver dance this gen, does it have some viability even though lilligant(a bit frailer) outshines it?
Bellossom is FAR slower. Since the two of them will share the exact same moveset more likely than not, Lilligant's better speed tier outweighs Bellossom's better bulk, as Lilligant outspeeds many offensive threats that Bellossom simply cannot. (Namely the likes of non-Scarf Hitmonlee) This makes it far easier to put something to sleep and set-up, or possibly just get an attack in.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why is sneasel ranked so high? I understand that it has good anti-metagame STABs and nice speed, but its stats are shit and it gets one shot by literally everything. Also, it is also notable that sneasel's 95 Attack itself fails to oneshot many things, unless it's super effective.

What are the most dangerous Sneasel sets? Why is it S rank?

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why is sneasel ranked so high? I understand that it has good anti-metagame STABs and nice speed, but its stats are shit and it gets one shot by literally everything. Also, it is also notable that sneasel's 95 Attack itself fails to oneshot many things, unless it's super effective.

What are the most dangerous Sneasel sets? Why is it S rank?
I think Sneasel is S rank because of its amazing offensive typing, speed tier, a strong knock off and super-effective priority against a lot of threats (Sceptile, Virizion, ..). It's also the best Pursuit-trapper in the game so it has an easy match-up vs the more frailer ghosts and psychics (i'm thinking of Mismagius and Sigi for example). Sneasel is also a very good revengekiller. "These strengths bring invaluable utility to nearly every team archetype."

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
I think Sneasel is S rank because of its amazing offensive typing, speed tier, a strong knock off and super-effective priority against a lot of threats (Sceptile, Virizion, ..). It's also the best Pursuit-trapper in the game so it has an easy match-up vs the more frailer ghosts and psychics (i'm thinking of Mismagius and Sigi for example). Sneasel is also a very good revengekiller. "These strengths bring invaluable utility to nearly every team archetype."
Hi, I don't think you answered my question... :(

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Sneasel @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard / Low Kick
- Pursuit / Low Kick

This is the main Sneasel set. It's S-rank because not only does it have some of the best STAB moves in the tier and a good speed tier, it also has Ice Shard and Pursuit to provide extra utility value to offensive teams and create mindgames with opponents. With Low Kick it's also quite difficult to wall outright, and you can even run Swords Dance / Icicle Crash / Knock Off / Low Kick and make a decent wallbreaker if you can find an opportunity to setup (i.e. through forcing a switch). Also here's some calcs:

252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sceptile: 235-278 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 176+ Def Jellicent: 328-385 (81.3 - 95.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros: 153-181 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This basically shows that Sneasel can OHKO frail offensive Pokemon (and bulky Pokemon hit super-effectively) after Rocks and 2HKO bulkier offensive threats reliably. While Sneasel falls a little flat without good hazard support, it definitely has enough power to put in work and be difficult to switch into. Icicle Crash flinches also go in its favour a lot.

However I think Sneasel is definitely the weakest of the S-rank threats due to its vulnerability, difficulty to switch in (and susceptibility to entry hazards making it difficult to keep coming to revenge kill), and relative lack of versatility. You could make a decent argument for it being A+ or A instead but I haven't used it enough to really pitch in on it.

Last edited:
Please use Choice Band over Life Orb though. All I ask. Life Orb's power simply doesn't cut it, wears down Sneael even more when it's already Stealth Rock weak and makes its Pursuit trapping ability so much less consistent. The lock in effect on its STAB is not even that big of a downside because Sneasel's switch ins are all prone to being worn down due to a lack of recovery.

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are the best ways of dealing with Ice-types? I've been struggling a lot with Cryogonal and Sneasel despite having a Scarf Emboar.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What are the best ways of dealing with Ice-types? I've been struggling a lot with Cryogonal and Sneasel despite having a Scarf Emboar.
In terms of Freeze-Dry resists, your best bet is probably Piloswine or MAYBE Hariyama if your team is fatter and able to support it well. Stall teams can make use of Bronzor, too. I guess there's also Silvally-Steel, but I never feel comfortable recommending that mon lol.

Offensive teams are probably better off making sure the opposition doesn't get into comfortable positions by ensuring Rocks are up and pressuring with Fires or Rocks.

Also worth noting Sneasel also has more "switch-ins" on paper than the Freeze-Dry mons like Granbull, Gurdurr, Regirock, etc, but you still have to be a little more conservative with when you switch in since most of them don't have reliable recovery. The best bet again is offensive pressure, but that's harder to accomplish on Sneasel's end compared Cryogonal (not as powerful) or Vanilluxe (slow) because it has power, speed, and coverage that makes it immediately more threatening in more matchups.

What is the best silvally forme? Is silvally worth being used at all since I can't find it in the viability rankings.
the only silvally that can do much consistently is silvally-steel. I've seen water, dragon, and ghost used to some success. Silvallys poor movepool just makes it really hard to use

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
What is the best silvally forme? Is silvally worth being used at all since I can't find it in the viability rankings.
Silvally-Fairy is also a pretty strong offensive option, due to the lack of Fairy resists in the tier - and Multi Attack hits surprisingly hard even when unboosted. Swords Dance with a spammable Fairy Type nuke which few resist, coming off a decent Base 95 Speed, sounds like quite a viable option.

Last edited:
What are some typical mons present on an Aurora Veil team besides Sandslash-Alola and Aurorus? What makes the this play style extremely good despite being 4x weak to Hitmonlee, an A+ mon?

What are some typical mons present on an Aurora Veil team besides Sandslash-Alola and Aurorus? What makes the this play style extremely good despite being 4x weak to Hitmonlee, an A+ mon?
The mons that are the most common on that team are: Aurorus / Sandslash-Alola / Cofagrigus / Virizion / Turtonator / Drapion.
This team archetype is particularly good thanks to the presence of Aurora Veil, a move that halves the damage on the Pokémon of your team for five turns, which obviously makes it easier for you to take hits and therefore, be able to use any of the setup moves that you have (Cofagrigus' Nasty Plot / Turtonator's Shell Smash...). Hitmonlee is not something to worry about since the team can easily handle it imo.
Overall, this team beneficiates from the awesome move that Aurora Veil is, and helps very strong threats such as Cofagrigus to set-up. The team has good synergy and works pretty well in the current metagame.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
The mons that are the most common on that team are: Aurorus / Sandslash-Alola / Cofagrigus / Virizion / Turtonator / Drapion.
This team archetype is particularly good thanks to the presence of Aurora Veil, a move that halves the damage on the Pokémon of your team for five turns, which obviously makes it easier for you to take hits and therefore, be able to use any of the setup moves that you have (Cofagrigus' Nasty Plot / Turtonator's Shell Smash...). Hitmonlee is not something to worry about since the team can easily handle it imo.
Overall, this team beneficiates from the awesome move that Aurora Veil is, and helps very strong threats such as Cofagrigus to set-up. The team has good synergy and works pretty well in the current metagame.
Just want to mention that Light Clay should always be used on Sandslash to get 8 turns of Aurora Veil.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Setup mons and Shell Smashers in particular appreciate the amount of support Aurora Veil gives so you can setup relatively safely in a lot of circumstances.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What use does Alolan Sandslash have in the tier, if any?
It's very useful on hyper offense teams for setting up Aurora Veil, as there are many dangerous setup sweepers in the tier and Aurora Veil is immensely helpful in easing setup and making revenge killing more difficult. You can read more in-depth about Alolan Sandslash here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)