Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (NU Edition)

The role compendium is missing Scrafty as a DDance in "Other boosters". To ask a question, what Z-move boosting set does Medicham have? Never seen it.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Haven't really played NU in a while but would like to get back in a little, how's Accelgor doing in the current meta? I know Specs was pretty cool a couple of months back but I barely see it anymore

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Haven't really played NU in a while but would like to get back in a little, how's Accelgor doing in the current meta? I know Specs was pretty cool a couple of months back but I barely see it anymore
I think its best set is either Specs + Spikes or Fightinium Z + Spikes. Fightinium Z let's you damage Steelix, Cryogonal, Houndoom etc. while keeping the utility of Final Gambit.

Two questions...
Miltank @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell
- Body Slam
- Toxic

1. What's Miltank creeping with 16 speed?
2. Body Slam or Seismic Toss? Running mainly as an answer to fire types and Sneasel.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Two questions...
Miltank @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell
- Body Slam
- Toxic

1. What's Miltank creeping with 16 speed?
2. Body Slam or Seismic Toss? Running mainly as an answer to fire types and Sneasel.
1. 16 Spe outspeeds Adamant Samurott.
2. I prefer Seismic Toss cause it gives you consistent damage output vs the majority of the tier.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
May I ask why Zangoose was ranked at A+ out of seemingly nowhere? I understand that the BDrum Set exists, but I hardly understand why it's ranked at A+ when it requires more support than the rest of A+
it is extremely easy for Zangoose to set up on most bulkier teams, which it can easily run through with little support needed. Honestly, all that's needed is a Pursuit user (most often Sneasel) to deal with the Ghost-types that are gaining popularity (Scarf Rotom, Haunter, Mismagius). It has been ranked this high since it has proven to be an extremely threatening sweeper that punishes the smallest of misplays, especially when faced off vs. bulkier squads.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it possible to get a vikavolt set here? Preferably one without agility
Vikavolt-Totem @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpA / 48 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

this is the standard one. the spdef is for specs mowtom.

also, if you can't find a set on the dex you can usually find it in the works here http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/nu-analyses.455/

Does mixed Guzzlord work in this meta? If it does, would a speed decreasing nature be preferable or a defense decreasing nature with full speed investment?

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
If you're gonna run a mixed set, best bet is probably an assault vest set with the usual special moves (draco/dark pulse/fire blast), and then knock off in the last slot to abuse its utility. You'd want a speed decreasing nature in that case, as although guzzlord's physical bulk ain't great, its not fun getting worn down even faster by a Xatu spamming U-turn.

I'd caution against a mixed set with even more physical moves, as one of Guzzlord's functions is generally to swap into Slowbro (and other water types), and having too much of your moveset crippled by an odd scald burn isn't anywhere near fun.

question: what factors of the pokémon should I take into account to be able to argue in discussions about Viability Ranking; qualities, defects, and how to make a good argument?

poh

<?>
question: what factors of the pokémon should I take into account to be able to argue in discussions about Viability Ranking; qualities, defects, and how to make a good argument?
"To make ranking these Pokemon easier the NU Council has come up with a list of positive and negative attributes each Pokemon should meet to fit a certain rank. Positives: Threat level, Splashability, Consistent, Effect on the metagame, Reliability. Negatives: Passive, Outclassed, Weak to Hazards, Speed, General Bulk, Matchup. However, something to remember while ranking is that filling criteria is not a black and white process. Pokemon A might have a stronger effect on the metagame compared to Pokemon B, but Pokemon B might still influence teambuilding a lot. Take into account the varying degrees of these criteria as you reflect on a nomination."

Basicly if you want to nominate something to move up or down the VR it's good to talk about its negatives, positives, impact on the meta, etc. Having experience with the pokemon you want to nominate is key and helps you understand it better. That way you can make solid arguments!

Another thing that VR threads tend to like seeing in nominations is how trends in the meta have affected the pokemon in question. For example, if you're nominating Pokemon A to move from B to B+, a trend like a decrease in usage of Pokemon B (which lets pretend is a good counter/check to Pokemon A) would be a good argument to make for the rise since a counter is less likely to be seen. Stuff like that makes it more likely that your nomination is taken seriously/adopted. Hope this helps!

Both suggestions helped and a lot to be honest, but I still can not mention the qualities and defects of Poke A without mentioning Pokes B and C as Checks
And this is hampered by the fact that there is no coherent argument

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Both suggestions helped and a lot to be honest, but I still can not mention the qualities and defects of Poke A without mentioning Pokes B and C as Checks
And this is hampered by the fact that there is no coherent argument
You should be listing other Pokemon in your reasoning. If I want Druddigon to rise in ranking I'm going to talk about how its one of the few solid defensive stops to Emboar. It's impossible to talk about a pokemon's effect on the metagame without mentioning another Pokemon. I hope that's not what you've taken away from this discussion. Also if you don't have a "coherent argument" for why a Pokemon should rise or fall, you probably shouldn't be making a post on it, or at the very least you should find someone of a similar opinion to help you write one I guess.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I was scrolling through top threats wondering why kingler is only used in pu after finally being able to abuse sheer force with a water stab and basically being a different take on gator but trading ice punch for rock slide/knock off/x scissor.

Looked at the threat list and made 100% sense why it's never used

But why is dugtrio used? A loan form is just better in so many ways like 2nd stab, immunity, better defense, eats hazards, has a real ability and etc.

Does the 10 points of speed really matter for dugtrio to be ranked B-???

What set, just choice band or Z quake?

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Kingler:
It simply has a fair bit of competition with other offensive water types in Samurott and (to some extent Clawitzer), notably significantly worse bulk than either, with it being OHKO'd by a Scarf Delphox's Psychic. This means its a fair bit more difficult to get in, despite its power increase over its main competition in the otter. Additionally, it lacks priority, and its only way to bypass its only ok 75 base speed is to spend a turn on agility that it may not get. It definitely is usable, its just hard to fit on a team.

Dugtrio is used because unlike its base forme it outspeeds Whimsicott (OHKOing with Sludge Wave) and Sneasel, revenging the latter if it locks into anything but ice shard, letting it threaten offensive teamstyles more effetively than its alolan forme. Neither one's ability matters, as both of them rely on sand being up, or alolan taking a hit, which it won't reliably do. Also, a fast ground type can be incredibly useful, as it lets you pack an electric immunity without giving up much momentum. The most common set is Life Orb with Earthquake, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and Sludge wave, with the option to run pursuit, toxic, or stealth rock over the latter two moves. And yes, the 10 speed is worth it being ranked.

Kingler:
It simply has a fair bit of competition with other offensive water types in Samurott and (to some extent Clawitzer), notably significantly worse bulk than either, with it being OHKO'd by a Scarf Delphox's Psychic. This means its a fair bit more difficult to get in, despite its power increase over its main competition in the otter. Additionally, it lacks priority, and its only way to bypass its only ok 75 base speed is to spend a turn on agility that it may not get. It definitely is usable, its just hard to fit on a team.

Dugtrio is used because unlike its base forme it outspeeds Whimsicott (OHKOing with Sludge Wave) and Sneasel, revenging the latter if it locks into anything but ice shard, letting it threaten offensive teamstyles more effetively than its alolan forme. Neither one's ability matters, as both of them rely on sand being up, or alolan taking a hit, which it won't reliably do. Also, a fast ground type can be incredibly useful, as it lets you pack an electric immunity without giving up much momentum. The most common set is Life Orb with Earthquake, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and Sludge wave, with the option to run pursuit, toxic, or stealth rock over the latter two moves. And yes, the 10 speed is worth it being ranked.
So shouldn't Kingler warrant at least a ranking?? I mean you said it yourself, it's usable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)