Walrus atomicwalrus

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ftr if you liked persephone you should check out the album that song is from, Treasure. Its an all time great and def my favorite release that cocteau twins have made.

Tbh i was hella surprised you had this category without being familiar with the band

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
27th place

KnightsofCydonia
Empty Chairs At Empty Tables - Eddie Redmayne
I'm finding it a little hard to take this song seriously at the beginning. The singing is actually just a tad ridiculous, and not really all that great for how much gusto he is putting into it. I don't find a lot about this song compelling, either musically or emotionally. I have never seen Les Miserables so that probably doesn't help.

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
22nd

Slurmz
u - Kendrick Lamar
I like the jazz, the purposefully bad singing I could do without. The first rap was pretty mediocre, the second one is better but not worth the previous 2:30 to get there I'm sure I'm gonna get cries of reverse robbed for this but this just isn't really my thing x_x. It gets better on the second listen, but its still nothing incredible.

atomicllamas

21st

Da Letter El
All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
Songs that start off sounding like random noise bother me. Even when the music picks up at the 1:00 mark I can't say that the paino or w/e this instrument is is anything but distracting. The guys voice is pretty nice though. almost 8 minutes is way too much of this, and it never manages to be that compelling emotionally (or musically barring the guy's voice).

atomicllamas

18th

Bughouse
Manhattan - Sara Bareilles
Haven't really listened to Sara Bareilles barring what's been on the radio at various points, but wow her voice is good. Piano is also nice, I think it's one of the better instruments at conveying sadness. That being said there are parts of this song I find pretty boring, maybe its just cause its slow (which I realize is kind of unfair cause I said the sadder the better, but there is a difference between sad and relaxing and sad and boring !_!).

atomicllamas

17th

Steven Snype
The Sound of Silence - Disturbed
I really like this song, I haven't heard this version before. You said you specifically liked his vocals in this song and I didn't really get it at first, as I find the opening sequence pretty awkward. But I as the song goes on it gets stronger, I think he does the growly thing in his voice to get out of hitting some of the notes which isn't my favorite, but not really terrible either.

atomicllamas

3 way tie for 12th

Yeti
Lonely - Akon
Another person who just went for the word lonely in the title, something which I can respect. This song was an absolute jam when I was 11 and is still extremely catchy. In spite of the fact its Akon it also does a decently good job at conveying sadness.

MajorBowman
Iris - Mike Posner
I really liked the original version of I took a pill in Ibiza, so I was looking forward to hearing another sad Mike Posner song. I liked it, and it was sufficiently sad, but its pretty forgettable, better upon 2nd listen.

Sam
Don, Aman - Slint
This is uhh pretty interesting. The guitar is nice, and the transitions match nicely with the story being told, not sure I like a song which is mostly just talking rather than singing, he has a nice speaking voice tho I guess. It kind of reminds me of fire coming out of a monkey's head, but its less interesting musically and never transitions to actual singing. There are a lot of pieces of this song I like but I don't know if it does it for me as a whole.

atomicllamas

tied for 7th

PDC + Isa
Medicine Bottles - Red House Painters
Nice opening guitar riff, the guys voice is pleasant. The song kind of fades in the middle but the end is pretty strong and caught my attention. That being said, the middle of a 10 minute song is a long time to be weak, don't get me wrong its never bad, its just I probably could have taken a nap during this song (actually would be a pleasant napping song ngl).

atomicllamas

5th

esche
Formidable - Stromae
I fuck with french pop. I actually submitted Stromae to steven snype's walrus I'm pretty sure (Papaoutai). But I like this song a lot, manages to convey a powerful emotion w/o even understanding the words, but the actual lyrics are even more powerful. The music video is pretty good, tho it gets brought down by the police stopping him in the middle, haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)