BARABOY's mediocre art thread

rsz_1scan_29.jpg
rsz_scan_30.jpg
I'm going to try to post something everyday so I can see my progress. I'm hoping to get a drawing tablet for Christmas, so have your fingers crossed.
Also, I should really work on erasing my sketch lines... anyways, tell me what you think!

Oh boy, I found my fine-tip sharpie! Now my lineart wont be nearly as crappy! To celebrate, here's an ampharos, one of my favs.
Scan 33.jpeg
Also, since my very being is derived off the attention of others, I will be taking requests! only ones I like though.

Been a month since I posted, so much for that posting daily thing I said. I somehow forgot school existed at the time, so that won't be exactly possible. But on the bright side, I like to sketch a lot. I got a new sketch book a few weeks ago, and I'm about halfway through it already. I have a bad habit of scrapping doodles and starting over on another page, so half of the pages I've used so far have a crude face on them and literally nothing else. Well, I'm going to stop this tangent and actually post art now, so please share your opinions!
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
Have a nice day!

As for your traditional art, they are full of character! Very whimsical and cartoony. It's also remarkable how much you have improved as you post more work. I don't think this is because you magically increased you mastery of art over a few days, I think it has more to do with time. It looks like you put a good bit of time into that lurantis (which is excellent btw, would love to see a colored version) as compared to say your Chansey piece, which has aspects that make it appear rushed. Taking more time for your work will exponentially improve it, I think

Now, you mentioned you had a drawing tablet that you are still getting used to. We'd all love to see your work from that. No one is going to yell at you for being bad or degrade you (I'm pretty sure you get penalized for that). But there's lots of people on here who can offer some good tips about digital art. I will offer a tip right now that I used in getting started with digital art. I too was much more comfortable with traditional art before I got started with digital. What I did to adjust was to take pictures of my drawn traditional art and send it to my computer (usually through email) and trace it in my tablet and then color it there. Tracing your own work with a tablet is worlds easier than starting from scratch and it's still technically your work so tracing is absolutely not cheating :)

Will be looking for more :D

As for your traditional art, they are full of character! Very whimsical and cartoony. It's also remarkable how much you have improved as you post more work. I don't think this is because you magically increased you mastery of art over a few days, I think it has more to do with time. It looks like you put a good bit of time into that lurantis (which is excellent btw, would love to see a colored version) as compared to say your Chansey piece, which has aspects that make it appear rushed. Taking more time for your work will exponentially improve it, I think

Now, you mentioned you had a drawing tablet that you are still getting used to. We'd all love to see your work from that. No one is going to yell at you for being bad or degrade you (I'm pretty sure you get penalized for that). But there's lots of people on here who can offer some good tips about digital art. I will offer a tip right now that I used in getting started with digital art. I too was much more comfortable with traditional art before I got started with digital. What I did to adjust was to take pictures of my drawn traditional art and send it to my computer (usually through email) and trace it in my tablet and then color it there. Tracing your own work with a tablet is worlds easier than starting from scratch and it's still technically your work so tracing is absolutely not cheating :)

Will be looking for more :D
Thanks for the advice :)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These drawings have quite a bit of spunk in them, that cartoony drawing style of yours seems to serve you well. Do you have a scanner to get these images onto the computer? Because some of these drawings have a nice, even lighting so that they can be colored digitally if necessary, and depending on the software you're using you can also try to apply a Smart Blue to remove that grainy texture.

Definitely echoing what nov said about spending more time with your tablet, as well as using tracing your own pencil drawings since I used the same method to transition to digital drawings back in the day. Tablets just generally have the big advantage of producing clean lineart without needing to remove the white background you're otherwise be forced to draw on, so once you get just as comfortable drawing on a computer like on a pencil, the time needed to create new art pieces will quickly decrease.

Keep 'em coming!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 81759
Mimikyu more like Mimicute
Solid lineart in this one, the thicker segments really make the drawing livelier overall. The coloring is on point too, except for the gray areas that could've been darker since right now they appear to be the brightest partsin the picture when the're supposed to be the opposite.

also how's that tablet practise coming along

Solid lineart in this one, the thicker segments really make the drawing livelier overall. The coloring is on point too, except for the gray areas that could've been darker since right now they appear to be the brightest partsin the picture when the're supposed to be the opposite.

also how's that tablet practise coming along
I've gotten the hang of sketching, I just need to work on lineart.

Pent

dumb broad
Your art has such a cute style, and I'm totally digging that Skiploom! I love how expressive they seem.

Sketch dump :)
IMG_1118.JPG IMG_1133.JPG
Rhodonite and Padparadscha Sapphire from Steven Universe.
IMG_1132.JPG
Zacharie from OFF.
IMG_1125.JPG
Wooper and Quagsire hugging!

Probably going to digitize a few of these later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)