Battle has started! Chou Toshio v. panamaxis

Guys, you seriously cannot say that this warstory is on the same level as many of the other ones that have flooded this board. Look at the comments and compare them to the sparse comments found in the others. That's the main difference here. Although sprites and percentages would make it look nicer, they really aren't necessary if you're keeping up with the battle. Also, there really wasn't that much hax other than the defense drops, which were going to happen eventually.

Back to the subject: Great warstory. Though it's not surprising when both of you are commenting. The only downside I guess was the shaky battle. But that was remedied by the commentary. 1 Luvdisc =D

Guys, you seriously cannot say that this warstory is on the same level as many of the other ones that have flooded this board. Look at the comments and compare them to the sparse comments found in the others. That's the main difference here. Although sprites and percentages would make it look nicer, they really aren't necessary if you're keeping up with the battle. Also, there really wasn't that much hax other than the defense drops, which were going to happen eventually.

I am just going to point out a few things...

1. They had 5 or 6 turns where they said "OOPS I MESSED UP" or "I DONT EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT BECAUSE I MADE A BAD DECISION." I don't want to read 6 turns in a row where they talk about how they have no comment on their obviously terrible decisions.

2. TWICE one of them said "oops I forgot this isn't a full on stall team, its a semi stall team." And then proceeded to get destroyed because he wasn't thinking long term or in depth enough. If I read a war story I don't want to read "OOPS FORGOT ABOUT HIS DORY!" That ruins it for me.

3. THEY BOTH DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION TO EACHOTHERS TEAMS. Why in gods name did he fling toxic orb when he KNEW the enemy had a steel type waiting. What was he thinking there? And that's only ONE of the major misplays on those terms.

4. As Benlisted said, 5 turns of misplays with Breloom. 5 turns. Do you think I like reading 5 turns of cringe worthy misplays? Because I definitely don't.

5. A MISCLICK?! COME ON!

As said earlier, this isn't as bad as the majority of the crap that comes spewing out of these boards that first timers call their "war stories." But this battle, although interesting to see both sides, was definitely not an amazing one. It had far too many flaws and misplays for me to really feel like it was amazing. I enjoyed reading it, but that's it. It has its flaws. I don't want to change my standards on a war story when I just voted another war story down for the same damn reasons only moments before.

Back to the subject: Great warstory. Though it's not surprising when both of you are commenting. The only downside I guess was the shaky battle. But that was remedied by the commentary. 1 Luvdisc =D
I don't think any of us think it is at all on the same level as many of the awful warstories, I think we simply feel that it isn't as amazing as many of the first people who replied made it out to be. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but after reading a lot of Gen 4 warstories this seems quite underwhelming. If judging it solely in the context of Gen 5 it'd probably do much better in my estimations, but that isn't how I do so unfortunately.

I don't think any of us think it is at all on the same level as many of the awful warstories, I think we simply feel that it isn't as amazing as many of the first people who replied made it out to be. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but after reading a lot of Gen 4 warstories this seems quite underwhelming. If judging it solely in the context of Gen 5 it'd probably do much better in my estimations, but that isn't how I do so unfortunately.

This.

1. They had 5 or 6 turns where they said "OOPS I MESSED UP" or "I DONT EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT BECAUSE I MADE A BAD DECISION." I don't want to read 6 turns in a row where they talk about how they have no comment on their obviously terrible move pool.
A movepool is a collection of all the moves a pokemon can have.

A player can make a terrible move, but they cannot make a terrible movepool.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I am just going to point out a few things...

1. They had 5 or 6 turns where they said "OOPS I MESSED UP" or "I DONT EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT BECAUSE I MADE A BAD DECISION." I don't want to read 6 turns in a row where they talk about how they have no comment on their obviously terrible decisions.
2. TWICE one of them said "oops I forgot this isn't a full on stall team, its a semi stall team." And then proceeded to get destroyed because he wasn't thinking long term or in depth enough. If I read a war story I don't want to read "OOPS FORGOT ABOUT HIS DORY!" That ruins it for me.
3. THEY BOTH DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION TO EACHOTHERS TEAMS. Why in gods name did he fling toxic orb when he KNEW the enemy had a steel type waiting. What was he thinking there? And that's only ONE of the major misplays on those terms.
4. As Benlisted said, 5 turns of misplays with Breloom. 5 turns. Do you think I like reading 5 turns of cringe worthy misplays? Because I definitely don't.
5. A MISCLICK?! COME ON!
As said earlier, this isn't as bad as the majority of the crap that comes spewing out of these boards that first timers call their "war stories." But this battle, although interesting to see both sides, was definitely not an amazing one. It had far too many flaws and misplays for me to really feel like it was amazing. I enjoyed reading it, but that's it. It has its flaws. I don't want to change my standards on a war story when I just voted another war story down for the same damn reasons only moments before.
1. Is a decision a terrible one if the opponent predicts it? In the story, Chou switches Tyranitar when pana switches Mence in. Does that make the TTar switchin a bad choice? No. Does it make Mence's switch a good choice? Yes.
2. Stall and Semi-Stall do have their similarities. Also, do you mean that any Dory sweep for you ruins the warstory? If that's the case, that's just a ridiculous piece of criteria. I try to respect others' choices, but that's like saying "OMG DDMence sweep I don't like this warstory".
3. If I have a Magic Mirror Espeon, does that mean that you should never use Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Spore, or Taunt on me? By your logic listed in point 3, yes. That's not logical.
4. Xatu's Protect was not a misplay on Chou's part, and you can't say the warstory was worsened because of the lack of a move on a pokemon. Well, I suppose you could, but that's a bit unfair.
5. Nothing to say there, though as Chou said in the warstory, it didn't matter much.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
You guys are seriously exaggerating the flaws of the story. If you keep up with the warstory, there's hardly any need for percentages. Doryuuzu sweeping doesn't somehow worsen the story--Panamaxis' thoughts make it clear that he was trying to weaken Chou's team via entry hazards and lures to enable a late-game sweep. It's not as if Doryuzu switched in on the fifth turn, set up a Swords Dance, and won the game.

Chou sort of dicked around with Breloom, but he was gaining valuable health through Poison Heal too. All in all, there were about two misplays--the misclick, and the Fling on Nattorei.

1. Is a decision a terrible one if the opponent predicts it? In the story, Chou switches Tyranitar when pana switches Mence in. Does that make the TTar switchin a bad choice? No. Does it make Mence's switch a good choice? Yes.
2. Stall and Semi-Stall do have their similarities. Also, do you mean that any Dory sweep for you ruins the warstory? If that's the case, that's just a ridiculous piece of criteria. I try to respect others' choices, but that's like saying "OMG DDMence sweep I don't like this warstory".
3. If I have a Magic Mirror Espeon, does that mean that you should never use Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Spore, or Taunt on me? By your logic listed in point 3, yes. That's not logical.
4. Xatu's Protect was not a misplay on Chou's part, and you can't say the warstory was worsened because of the lack of a move on a pokemon. Well, I suppose you could, but that's a bit unfair.
5. Nothing to say there, though as Chou said in the warstory, it didn't matter much.

I don't really know man, looking over the entire thing I felt there were MULTIPLE errors and both had bad misplays and it just wasn't that great. The points I raised are things that really brought it down for me.

I enjoyed reading it, but what I don't understand is how this war story had the flaws that MANY OTHER first time war stories have and yet people are praising it and giving it luvdiscs. I expected an awesome war story and I was severely let down. Our standards on every other war story are harsh and yet people are acting like this one is gold.

If you keep up with the warstory, there's hardly any need for percentages. Doryuuzu sweeping doesn't somehow worsen the story--Panamaxis makes it clear that he was trying to weaken Chou to enable a late-game sweep.
But if that were the case, we wouldn't need percentages on any of the warstories. Not to mention no one wants to keep track of all the leftover/Poison Heal/Hazards/Weather damage in their head.

Also, the Doryuuzu sweep certainly doesn't make the battle itself bad, in that both players played well, but it makes the ending anticlimactic, and we don't even need to read past the point where he gets the SD. The battle ends with no suspense whatsoever. It might have been a decent play by both sides, but that doesn't help the fact that a rapid sweep ending isn't that interesting.

But if that were the case, we wouldn't need percentages on any of the warstories. Not to mention no one wants to keep track of all the leftover/Poison Heal/Hazards/Weather damage in their head.

Also, the Doryuuzu sweep certainly doesn't make the battle itself bad, in that both players played well, but it makes the ending anticlimactic, and we don't even need to read past the point where he gets the SD. The battle ends with no suspense whatsoever. It might have been a decent play by both sides, but that doesn't help the fact that a rapid sweep ending isn't that interesting.

This. Seconded completely.

This is actually why I didn't care for the dory sweep. Sure, if a battle ends in a 3+ sweep from a pokemon, it doesn't make the battle BAD... it just is like, "well thats that then." Not suspenseful at all.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
you haters are overreacting, and a lot.

the "beauty" of a warstory is NOT the end, its not if it ended 1-0 with a pokemon in 1% or anything, no, it is how you GET to the end, the process you MAKE to get there. I dont give a fuck if the match ended 5-0 if the early/mid game processes were excellent, thats the only thing that matters.

panamaxis played really good, chou toshio gave him a good battle, this had awesome moves and also describes how the metagame is right now.

seriously i cant see why youd say this isnt a great warstory.

and for pana and chou, good job, this was very good.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
Though this wasn't the best battle to grace Gen V, I really enjoyed it more than a lot of the other Warstories here because of the quality of the players and teams involved. Pana has been a dominant player in Gen V and I faced this particular team a couple times, and Chou has been no slouch himself though he isn't quite in Pana's league.

Granted, Breloom being walled by Xatu and all the hijinx with Fling weren't that pretty, not to mention Pana thinking Posion Heal Gliscor would have Taunt, but at least it isn't Arbok taking over a battle with Glare. While I hope for the content of Warstories to eventually improve beyond this one, at least we had some good commentary, a realistic upper level battle, and a look at some of the new and old features of the Gen V meta. 8/10

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Alright, we get it, a few of you didn't like it.
You don't have to keep trying to justify why you didn't like it.
You also don't have to try and drag down the people that did like it, just move on.

Alright, we get it, a few of you didn't like it.
You don't have to keep trying to justify why you didn't like it.
You also don't have to try and drag down the people that did like it, just move on.
But we DID like the warstory. We're just wondering why most people are ignoring certain points that get brought up all the time in other warstories. (AKA, no percentages, lackluster ending)

You guys are right, I apologize for "being a hater." It wasn't so much my intention of being a "hater" as I generally really enjoy reading war stories. I guess I just feel our standards are different on this compared to the other war stories being posted. Overall, I did enjoy it, just (as I said before) it had its flaws, and I tried to be fair while comparing it to other war stories.

But we DID like the warstory. We're just wondering why most people are ignoring certain points that get brought up all the time in other warstories. (AKA, no percentages, lackluster ending)
This.

What annoys most here is that many players post their warstories and are trolled to death due to the lack of percentages, sprites and presence of hax.

Just because two (or one) notable player takes part in the warstory, despite the presence of the same mistakes so enphasized on other WSs, people come here and say it is briilant. well written, nice match.

The comments are indeed good, but this is far from a good warstory. People keep pointing how the lack of sprites and percentages disturb the reading, but they do not seem to care about this on that specific warstory. I wonder why...

So what if there were errors? it was an interesting battle and for the most part the commentary was excellent. my only issue was the doryuzzu sweep at the end, but that in itself was a testament to the strategy of weakening gliscor so he could win. I thought it was a very well done warstory.
9/10

I don't see why people say there's like ''omg tons of hax''. There were some hax here and there, but what do you expect from a 50-turn battle?

Also, I don't see the problem about the Doryuuzu-sweep. Panamaxis worked towards that, as you can see in his though progress, so I don't think it is a lackluster ending.

Also, XienZo, multiple people (like me) have pointed out that adding sprites and percentages would clear up things, but seeing as the thought progress is written very clearly it's hardly necessary.

I felt a bit disappointed by what I was expecting when I read it, but it was a good warstory. Some misplays; sprites and percentages would have been lovely. The battle was good, and the commentary on both sides were wonderful, but the turns of "i dont want to talk about it" let me down. Overall, 7/10. Wonderful warstory, considering the other Gen 5 warstories, but lack-luster when looking at past Gen 4 warstories.
Thanks for posting; it was a good change of pace. :)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What annoys most here is that many players post their warstories and are trolled to death due to the lack of percentages, sprites and presence of hax.

Just because two (or one) notable player takes part in the warstory, despite the presence of the same mistakes so enphasized on other WSs, people come here and say it is briilant. well written, nice match.

The comments are indeed good, but this is far from a good warstory. People keep pointing how the lack of sprites and percentages disturb the reading, but they do not seem to care about this on that specific warstory. I wonder why...
Becasuse the majority of warstories poseted are simple "this is what happened last turn so I'll do this for x reason". When top players like Chou and pana post warstories you know that they have outlined their thought process through the entire battle. They still have a similar form of comments but they tell you how their move relates to their overall win strategy.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
you haters are overreacting, and a lot.

the "beauty" of a warstory is NOT the end, its not if it ended 1-0 with a pokemon in 1% or anything, no, it is how you GET to the end, the process you MAKE to get there. I dont give a fuck if the match ended 5-0 if the early/mid game processes were excellent, thats the only thing that matters.

panamaxis played really good, chou toshio gave him a good battle, this had awesome moves and also describes how the metagame is right now.

seriously i cant see why youd say this isnt a great warstory.

and for pana and chou, good job, this was very good.
This.

Becasuse the majority of warstories poseted are simple "this is what happened last turn so I'll do this for x reason". When top players like Chou and pana post warstories you know that they have outlined their thought process through the entire battle. They still have a similar form of comments but they tell you how their move relates to their overall win strategy.

That is EXACTLY my point: there have been some warstories with a below than average format and full of hax that have been hated and badly rated. This one is somewhat better, but people are giving 8+ just because two well-known players have posted it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)