Battle Spot Suggest-A-Project Thread!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Sun and Moon are turning 2 months old soon. With Pokebank on the horizon, we're in from some big changes in the land of Battle Spot, with many classic threats such as Cresselia, Charizard, and Rotom-W making a grand return!

With that in mind, we're gonna need to make this forum more lively if we want Battle Spot to become more recognized in the English community. That's why I think its time that we have a thread where we suggest new projects!

Here's the deal: Here, you will propose some sort of forum project you want to do. Don't just say a name: give some details on what you want to do with it. If it gets mod approval, you can start it at some selected time, and we all participate in it! We may even get twitter involved if your idea is really good! If you get really involved with high quality projects, you may even be considered for a forum contributor badge! (
/
)

Below I will list the project proposals people have reserved (which will come at a later time).

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So here are some things we've done before and need hosts for this gen! If something here interests you then feel free to contact me or another Battle Spot mod!
  • The Next Best Thing (reserved by Paraplegic)
    • Each week a new Pokemon is brought up for discussion and everyone submits a cool new set that they think has some potential in the metagame or on certain team archetypes. (link to old thread)
  • Victim of the Week (reserved by dogknees)
    • Again, each week a new Pokemon is brought up but this time we all submit ways to beat it! (link to old thread)
  • Community Create-a-Team (reserved by Paraplegic)
    • Just as the title implies; we try to work together and build a team to take on the world with. Each step of the teambuilding process lasts between a few days and a week, and suggestions are voted on. When it's all done, some lovely people breed, train, and clone the team and give it away to anyone wanting to try it out! (link to old thread)
  • Sample Teams (reserved by dogknees)
    • Probably the most requested project. I think DragonWhale will no doubt translate some Japanese blogs but we should also have somewhere that features Smogon teams! (old thread) (DW's Jap thread)
  • Good Cores
    • Tracking down full teams for public use can be tricky, but thinking of cores to build around isn't so much. This thread should serve to give people ideas of where to start and what to look out for while battling (link to old thread)
  • Battle Spot Doubles resources!
    • We have heaps of BSS players, but we need doubles players to come forward and make themselves known. I know a lot of them will be off playing VGC or DOU, but Post-Bank BSD will be its own totally unique metagame with very different rules! Doubles versions of all these threads / ideas will be welcomed.

Feel free to also suggest ideas for articles you'd like us to write about for The Flying Press! Some ideas are certainly more appropriate in article form than in a thread, so drop your ideas below.

Last edited:
The game plan corner:

I'll start saying something that happened to everyone of us in here. Since i started playing a long, long time ago, i met a lot of players either new to the game or more experienced, and there is one thing that i've noticed common to everyone of us/them: i'm going to try to explain it here with my kindergarten english.

What is a typical topic that new players often struggle with? Having a game plan, being able to read through games, having in mind win factors.
And also, what is one of the first thing that a player with some experience wants to do when he accomplishes a successful strategy or makes a crazy move in a game? Of course to share the hype with other players.

My idea is pretty simple, we could modify the replays thread, that is often left in the shadows, with a "game plan corner" to have a place that not only allows players to share, but also to have a good (and more evident than a "replay" thread) resource for new players. In my opinion this could create an "involving circle" where experienced players will be encouraged to post also because their games would no more be just replays left there, but would gain new purposes (and an audience), and where new players could find good learning material.

Going into the "how it works" part, as in the replays thread players will post their game. The posted games could either show standard, hard and even weird and atypical situations, but the players will also have to explain the game, their game plan, and most important thing HOW they managed to deal with those particular situation, explaining the reasons, what was in their mind, why they won/lost, and so on.. In short words a "mini-tutoring" of their best(or worse) strategies.

This is probably not the most original idea ever, but i'm pretty sure that changing the name and giving this new purposes to the replays thread could give it the potential to make the thread (a little bit more) followed.

Last edited:
What's their last? (ORAS LC version, ORAS DOU version)

A short explanation: A team is submitted, a pokemon is removed, the 5-mon team is posted. Users then post suggestions, hopefully with good reasoning, for what that final mon could be to finish of the team. After a period, these suggestions are voted on and a a winner is declared (Hall of Fame in OP). Then the actual last with the team creator's reasoning is posted.

I think this sort of teambuilding excercise is quite interesting. It's great to see those different ways a team can be rounded off, or just to learn from some user's thoughts in the later, often tougher, parts of building a team.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's their last? (ORAS LC version, ORAS DOU version)

A short explanation: A team is submitted, a pokemon is removed, the 5-mon team is posted. Users then post suggestions, hopefully with good reasoning, for what that final mon could be to finish of the team. After a period, these suggestions are voted on and a a winner is declared (Hall of Fame in OP). Then the actual last with the team creator's reasoning is posted.

I think this sort of teambuilding excercise is quite interesting. It's great to see those different ways a team can be rounded off, or just to learn from some user's thoughts in the later, often tougher, parts of building a team.
I like this idea, it's basically a "complete the core" clone but with finishing off the team instead of making a good core. If someone wants to host it PM one of the mods....

I had seen this project in the other forums a while ago and thought we could do a battle spot version where we instead post the full team of 6, then state which two we've "seen" throughout the course of the battle and try to guess what the last/third mon was that they chose at team preview, but I don't think it would really work because what you choose at team preview is based on a lot of things that would be impossible to implement in this so it would end up just being another version of "complete the core" except we choose which of the remaining 4 complements the 2 chosen which would be boring....

Can I dare?

Single - Break that Core!
We got the new BSS meta from just two months, but we already know what are the most dangerous cores.
And anyway, when the meta will change again 'cause of PokéBank, it will be really interesting knowing which cores is becoming dangerous and how people think, try or even succeed to break them.
Fastly: Every week (or more if you think users need more time) a core of 2 or 3 Pokémon is submitted and people have to find one Pokémon which can face the core at the best way possible, obviously they must explain why the Pokémon is good against that core. After the deadline, the solutions will caught in a single post and the users have to vote which of proposed Pokémon they think is the best. (old thread)

Personally I liked a lot that project and it saves me many times when I had not idea how to stop a determinated core.

Don't Use That, Use This
Often low-ladder players use outclassed or unviable Pokemon and sets. This thread would explain why these Pokemon and sets are unviable and offer sets or mons that can do a better job than the other sets. (Old thread)

Article Ideas
  • Comparing the pre- and post- bank meta and how the top threats have changed
  • Spotlight of Ultra Beasts in Battle Spot
  • Good support mons in BSS
  • Z-moves in Battle Spot
  • How the lack of Smogon created clauses (Sleep Clause, OHKO Clause, etc.) impacts the metagame and how they are utilized

Last edited:

Lou

going solo
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Make it work!

Each week, we'll select a Pokémon useless to "Make it work" using Z-moves or pairing it with others Pokémon. (Or using any strategies)

Last edited:
I have some ideas to share.

BackSpot Plan
One of the most important aspects of BS, and one of the more tricky for new players, is "Bring 6 but Choose 3". After some calcs, I can confirm that 3 is the half of 6. Trust me, I'm right. So you can have theorically two BSS teams in an single "Bring 6" team. This allows a different kind of teambuilding strategies, like Double Mega. With that, you can counter most of your opponent's team, reduce the "I don't predict the right 3 mons" damages, while having a relevant 3-mons team.
But why not use it for enhance originality and competitive fun ? The idea is to create a gimmick but competitive 3-mons team, based around one mon or a fun concept (like Eeveenium), with relevant good stuff in backup if the first strategy seems not working while seeing your opponent's team on Team Preview.

Article idea : I don't trust my (Poke)Bank

Maybe for old or lazy players, what are the past gens mons more affected by SM. An article spotting new strategies for old mons, and saying "Play it like in ORAS" for all the others.

I agree with previous article ideas mentioned :)

Other ideas : OM based on BS rules, make tournaments with specific rules like Online Competitions on PGL, article about archetypes on BS.

I'm ready to get involved in hosting some threads or helping for Flying Press articles (keep increasing my level).

Last edited:
I have some ideas to share.

BackSpot Plan
One of the most important aspects of BS, and one of the more tricky for new players, is "Bring 6 but Choose 3". After some calcs, I can confirm that 3 is the half of 6. Trust me, I'm right. So you can have theorically two BSS teams in an single "Bring 6" team. This allows a different kind of teambuilding strategies, like Double Mega. With that, you can counter most of your opponent's team, reduce the "I don't predict the right 3 mons" damages, while having a relevant 3-mons team.
But why not use it for enhance originality and competitive fun ? The idea is to create a gimmick but competitive 3-mons team, based around one mon or a fun concept (like Eeveenium), with relevant good stuff in backup if the first strategy seems not working while seeing your opponent's team on Team Preview.
How exactly is this any different from the "Community Create-a-Team" project? What you propose is but one of many ways one can go around building a BSS team which boils both projects down to essentially the same thing. Unless, of course, I'm misinterpreting something here.

What should I bring?

One of the most defining aspects of 3v3 is the role team preview plays, games are quite often won or lost depending on what each player brought, and is a significant barrier from 6v6 play to 3v3 play. Essentially two teams would be posted, one being only how one would see it in Team Preview (such as Thundurus/Glalie/Ditto/Kangaskhan/Gengar/Clefable), the other being your full team(probably formatted as a ps importable). People would submit what they would bring and their reasoning for it (as well as possibly discussing what the opponent would bring!). After a period (prolly like a week or 3-4 days?), people would vote on the best action.

Honestly, the greatest stumbling block I had in 3v3 was literally this question. Matchup-based building came intuitively to me, but predicting other people about a single decision that you have 90 seconds to do, without the ability to second-guess yourself constantly with a cancel button, was a real big problem, and it'd probably help make people generally better. Or at least figure out what to do in specific situations.

edit: old title was kind of misleading actually

Last edited:
How exactly is this any different from the "Community Create-a-Team" project? What you propose is but one of many ways one can go around building a BSS team which boils both projects down to essentially the same thing. Unless, of course, I'm misinterpreting something here.
In fact it's not so different from the C-a-T project. It's just a more fun oriented strategies, gimmick that could be competitive, where C-a-T is more on serious strategies. I know I'm not clear :/

What should I bring?
That could be helpful to increase TP skills. That's the most tricky thing in 3vs3.

Other idea : SM BS(S) Role Compendium

Lure this Threat

It's easy, you post a set which beats a Pokémon which is normally a counter / check to your own Mon. For example you can use SD Fightium Z Tapu Bulu because you can lure Celesteela (+2 Fightium Z Superpower is enough to KO), which is a safe answer against the common sets.

The Arena

Teams made by 2-3 people writing a 2 mons core each (with 1 it would be boring, whereas when playing with 3 the decision making could be too impactful).
This would basically work as VotW, with people voting for the winner between the two teams. It's like a fight on paper.
It could also work as a single elimination tournament, voting from match to match until the end.

Pretty simple, but could be fun i guess

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
ok we need more forum projects going on. here's some stuff we're looking for people to host:

break this team
  • The Next Best Thing (old thread)
    • pretty similar to Victim if the Week, however instead of nominating Pokemon that beat the featured Pokemon for that week, we nominate sets for that Pokemon that aren't common (yet) and should see more use based on trends in the metagame. An example of this is when Theorymon posted bulky Serperior way back in ORAS which became a standard set
  • Teambuilding Competition (oldest thread, last thread)
    • super simple, each week we have to build a team around a mon / core / strategy and then we vote on who's is the best
  • Don't Use That, Use This (example from UU forum)
    • This is where we comment on all the bad sets that people mistakenly use and suggest a better alternative. Like why use Life Orb Mimikyu when you can use Z move instead?
  • Lure That Threat (example from RU forum)
    • Kinda like Victim of the Week, except instead of trying to think of hard counters that can switch in and win, in this we want to think of sets that lure in something on purpose and surprise it. Pretty much like how Blaziken lures in Tapu Fini but then bops it with Z Solar Beam
  • Break This Team (example from NU forum)
    • Each week we have a featured team, this could be from a Japanese blog, sample teams thread, RMT, or user-submitted. Then we all nominate a core that totally CTs it. Very similar to Break That Core which we did last gen. Alternatively we can just do BTC and save BTT for later.
also expect to see our first gen 7 Community Create-a-Team real soon which I'm gonna host!

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
So I was gonna suggest a new project and the rule thread says I need approval from cant say / Hulavuta / Dragonwhale all of them which I don't see in Discord too often, so I thought I might as well post my idea of the project I wanna lead, if it is approved.

Project Name: Core Laddering Challenge (aka CLC)
Idea has been derived from here
Here is the premise:

Rules
  • If you wanna participate the challenge, you must ladder with a team with pokemon that I announce at the beginning of the challenge.
  • Your team MUST have the assigned mons in it.
  • While laddering on your CLC alt, you are only allowed to use your CLC team. If you are found to have broken this rule, the challenge will be considered invalid.
  • There are four possible achievements: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. You can report your achievement when you reach the milestones.
tldr; It is laddering challenge with pokemon that is normally outclassed by other things (such as Flygon might be assigned for challengers so they will have to use them over stuff like Garchomp). I think this will help with ladder activity and stuff.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
So I was gonna suggest a new project and the rule thread says I need approval from cant say / Hulavuta / Dragonwhale all of them which I don't see in Discord too often, so I thought I might as well post my idea of the project I wanna lead, if it is approved.

Project Name: Core Laddering Challenge (aka CLC)
Idea has been derived from here
Here is the premise:

Rules
  • If you wanna participate the challenge, you must ladder with a team with pokemon that I announce at the beginning of the challenge.
  • Your team MUST have the assigned mons in it.
  • While laddering on your CLC alt, you are only allowed to use your CLC team. If you are found to have broken this rule, the challenge will be considered invalid.
  • There are four possible achievements: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. You can report your achievement when you reach the milestones.
tldr; It is laddering challenge with pokemon that is normally outclassed by other things (such as Flygon might be assigned for challengers so they will have to use them over stuff like Garchomp). I think this will help with ladder activity and stuff.
We've done this exact thing before and it just doesn't work out. People lose interest after the first week or two, and takes up time they could spend laddering on the actual 3DS ladder instead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)