VGC Bulky Veil Offense

Introduction

This is my first RMT, so please excuse any formatting errors or anything like that. Hopefully my content is okay, please let me know if I need to edit anything. My core idea for this team was to use Ninetales to help me set up an opportunity to sweep with Xurkitree. While testing, I kept adding more bulk and set up or support moves. Ninetales is an obvious lead, so I usually lead with Ninetales and an answer to whatever I think they'll bring in response to the Ninetales. Xurk is almost always in the back so I can set him up later in the game.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Disable
- Icy Wind
- Protect
Ninetales is the poke I've changed the most and the one who has grown on me the most. It started as a special attacker, and just was not cutting it, but this support version has been working quite well. Aurora Veil is a crazy useful move, and my team's defensive calcs pretty much all assume I'll have it up the whole game. Full HP bulk is enough for Ninetales to usually survive almost any one non-steel hit under veil. The combination of disabling a move and slowing the opponents down with icy wind are incredibly useful for maneuvering one of my offensive mons into an advantageous position. I wish I had room for encore on this set, but protect has saved my ass too many times; people try to double up on Ninetales a surprising amount. Lastly, hail ends up helping my team a lot. It eliminates sashes, and AV Kartana and 252 Atk chomp are both things people sometimes train pokemon to just barely survive, and then the extra damage from hail takes them out.

Xurkitree @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 204 HP / 28 Def / 140 SpA / 12 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
Xurk is probably my favorite mon on the team, and I almost always bring him in the back. He's pretty damn bulky, surviving hits like a 252 attack Garchomp's EQ and a Lele's Shattered Psyche under veil, and a +3 T-bolt obviously hits like a truck. Plus hail damage, it always KOs a 68 HP Snorlax. Gleam is useful when there's a garchomp and for taking out two weaker opponents. I've considered HP ground to get rid of Marowak and Togedemaru, but gleam is very useful and I can usually maneuver around lightning rod users (gleam usually 2HKOs them anyway), considering chomp destroys both. If I manage to set up a tail glow without taking a big hit under veil and still have at least one other 'mon alive, I've never lost.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Haze
- Tailwind
- Roost
I chose Murkrow because of prankster, and I've never been completely satisfied with him, but every time I consider changing something, that thing is exactly what I need in one of the next couple of games. His spread is basically just because he tends to get hit by more super effective special attacks than physical, and it's helpful to be able to survive them. Tailwind does help my team out quite a bit, and has been especially useful against other teams that rely on tailwind, since my team likes but doesn't need it. Foul play is nice because it requires no investment, and is a great answer to the likes of DrumLax and Chomp. Roost is obviously for healing. Haze is my least used move, but it's extremely useful when I do need it. I've considered swapping it for Taunt or something.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
Garchomp is a fabulous pokemon. He's quick, strong, and has nice natural bulk. The set is obvious and predictable, but still extremely useful. Destroys lightning rod users and arcanine, can usually beat bulky 'mons like Celesteela or Mandibuzz one-on-one, and a +2 tectonic rage is a monstrous hit to anything on the ground. Chomp works really well on this team because he doesn't need set up to hit hard, but if the opponent isn't careful and he gets an SD up for free, he's almost unstoppable. He pairs really well with Xurk, since if they're both out it's hard to predict which will protect and which will set up or attack.

Gyarados @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 68 Atk / 28 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
There are a few calcs on my team that really like an intimidate (for example,
an EQ from chomp under hail and veil becomes a 4HKO instead of a 2HKO on Xurk thanks to the pinch berry), so I decided I needed an intimidate user. My first thought was obviously Arcanine, but I didn't like adding another ground weakness, so I decided to go with Gyarados. I like bukly 'dos a lot. He can survive a togedemaru's -1 fake out + zing zap or 2 t-bolt's from an uninvested porygon2 (under veil). The set is pretty simple. My team really appreciates taunt support, and DD allows him to beat a lot of things one on one. Waterfall is just a solid STAB move, and hey, flinch chance is always nice. He is also one of my best answers to Arcanine, which is nice, especially with two fire weaknesses. Only banded wild charge Arcanine can reliably OHKO 'dos under veil, and that's if it's not at -1.

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Smart Strike
Kartana was the last addition to the team. I originally had weakness policy Metagross in this spot, but I only ever brought him in niche situations. I liked the steel coverage though, so I decided to go with Kartana. I chose AV Kartana because he almost never gets OHKO'd, and can still OHKO tons of things without any attack investment (most notably Lele and offensive Fini, as well as all opposing weather setters). Brick break is a tech for opposing veil teams, but I'd consider swapping it since they don't actually give me much trouble usually.

Conclusion

That's the team! I usually find it performs pretty well, getting me to 1350-1400 on the ladder, but I'm really looking for tips about how to take it to the next level. Oranguru trick room teams give me some trouble, as I can't seem to reliably OHKO him before he sets it up, and I can't taunt him the way I would Mimikyu or Porygon2 since he's usually carrying mental herb. That's the only major strategy I've encountered that I don't have a great response to. Whimsicott is pretty annoying since I can't OHKO him. I'm not dissatisfied with my team right now, but I'd really like to take it from good to great. Thanks!

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Disable
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Xurkitree @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 204 HP / 28 Def / 140 SpA / 12 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Haze
- Tailwind
- Roost

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Gyarados @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 68 Atk / 28 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 92 HP / 165 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Leaf Blade
- Night Slash
- Smart Strike

Swap Haze to Taunt or this team relies on setup and Aurora Veil and Haze just gets in your way, plus you need the Taunt to counter TR which your team might suffer against (I saw you had Taunt on Gyarados but considering how popular Porygon2 is as a TR mon Gyarados might not want to stay in on potential Thunderbolts, you can still keep it on Gyarados but I think you shouldn't rely on just Gyarados to help your TR Porygon2 team matchups)

Now I know I said what you should change on Murkrow but IMO maybe consider swapping Murkrow for Mandibuzz as well as either Tapu Fini or Tapu Lele.

Mandibuzz is very bulky with a seed boost and will generally stay around longer than its cousin of the same type; Murkrow. It loses out on Prankster Tailwind but gains immense bulk as well as the ability to Taunt Dark types like other Mandibuzz (something Murkrow cannot do due to how Prankster works in Gen 7), it also gives your team some added bulk if you choose to run Snarl

Consider this set :

Mandibuzz @ Psychic Seed / Misty Seed
Ability: Overcoat
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 4 SpA / 228 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Snarl/Taunt

Thanks so much for the reply! I did consider Mandibuzz as an alternative to Murkrow but haven't tested it. I'll try yours out.

Given that I don't have a tapu on my team, would a seed still be the best item? If so, would psychic or misty be better?

Also, could you elaborate a bit on the ev spread? The numbers seem really specific, especially the 4 SpA with no special attacks, so I'm just wondering why.

I really like prankster, but I think your suggestion is a good one. Thanks.

Thanks so much for the reply! I did consider Mandibuzz as an alternative to Murkrow but haven't tested it. I'll try yours out.

Given that I don't have a tapu on my team, would a seed still be the best item? If so, would psychic or misty be better?

Also, could you elaborate a bit on the ev spread? The numbers seem really specific, especially the 4 SpA with no special attacks, so I'm just wondering why.

I really like prankster, but I think your suggestion is a good one. Thanks.
Yes of course.

Psychic Seed and Misty Seed function exactly the same, they both raise SpD by one stage when Psychic Terrain or Misty Terrain are active on the field. Giving Mandibuzz enough defense to give withstand attacks from the likes of Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele. In my opinion a seed is the best item for Mandibuzz in this format, people have run berries and leftovers for it but Roost covers that.
Whichever seed you choose will depend on which Tapu you use between Fini or Lele
The EVs are to maximize its defense against special attackers like Lillicoal, Double Duck, Tapu Lele, Koko and Fini etc.

You want to give it at least 12 Speed EVs because that gives it a stat of 102 which after Tailwind gives it just enough speed to outspeed max speed Timid Tapu Koko and also outspeed neutral nature Pheromosa
You could always put more speed EVs in to ensure outspeeding other Mandibuzz so you can Taunt them before they Taunt or set up Tailwind on you.

With that EV spread 4 EVs will always remain leftover so I just put them in SpA for Snarl, it will do miniscule difference. but it's just to maximize your EVs

Yes of course.

Psychic Seed and Misty Seed function exactly the same, they both raise SpD by one stage when Psychic Terrain or Misty Terrain are active on the field. Giving Mandibuzz enough defense to give withstand attacks from the likes of Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele. In my opinion a seed is the best item for Mandibuzz in this format, people have run berries and leftovers for it but Roost covers that.
Whichever seed you choose will depend on which Tapu you use between Fini or Lele
The EVs are to maximize its defense against special attackers like Lillicoal, Double Duck, Tapu Lele, Koko and Fini etc.

You want to give it at least 12 Speed EVs because that gives it a stat of 102 which after Tailwind gives it just enough speed to outspeed max speed Timid Tapu Koko and also outspeed neutral nature Pheromosa
You could always put more speed EVs in to ensure outspeeding other Mandibuzz so you can Taunt them before they Taunt or set up Tailwind on you.

With that EV spread 4 EVs will always remain leftover so I just put them in SpA for Snarl, it will do miniscule difference. but it's just to maximize your EVs
Ohhh I'm used to playing singles and just recently got into VGC so I forgot that not every 4 EVs necessarily increase a stat by one at level 50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)