CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Update 4

Changed the purple into a ghostlier tone.

SilvanRaptor suggested on Discord to move the eyes from the white skull into the sides of the chest lid. I am not used to that look yet, so anyone please tell me whether this eye position or the previous one looks better.

Also I briefly flirted with the idea of having the tongue tip be spear-shaped and adding a spear-like tail tip for symmetry, but then decided to stick with the simple forked tongue. You can see the spear-version here: https://imgur.com/a/9rKj3

I gave up but turns out im not good at that so i came up with another concept.

Well i love lovecraftian monsters, so i figured if the monster with a billion eyes shoggoth didnt work with comatose, what about he who lays sleeping in r'lyeh?
Meet the Cthulian Illithid, a pokemon born of the dreams of a extraplanar being whos entire existance is limited by its sleep. This however doesnt stop it from interacting with this universe.
and some supporting art to show it with its wings in full glory, the wings are supposed to invoke the dragon aspect.
https://i.imgur.com/uVbZxS8.png
I like the supporting art posse better

also don't give up on the shoggot it's my favourite design :(
I think It would still work if you close the main "head"'s eyes and maybe change its colour scheme a little

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Ah yes, the mind flayer. Liking how it looks, I'm thinking blue body with a black cloak for ghost typing + the fact that illithids typically wear black

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Supporting art: Hypnosis Fail/Napping | Trapping/Flapping/KOed

Here's tapeworm!

This design is based on the pun of tape, tapeworms, and worms (or "wyrms") referring to dragons. Its long, flat, segmented body and a round head come from the tapeworm, and its two front limbs come from a lindworm. The flat, pale, translucent body and zigzag sheared edges tie the "tape" part of the design together, while simultaneously enforcing Ghost-type design characteristics. I think overall that these characteristics fit CAP 23's flavor very well--especially if it receives high physical attack and subpar physical defense!

For art completeness, here is a compilation of the fanart of other people's designs I made around the time of the Primary Ability thread.

--

Note to other artists: I made a widget called CALC a while back that automatically checks if an image fails to satisfy some of the criteria for a legal main design in a final submission. It's a convenient way of sanity-checking your art. Because it needs "permission" to inspect an image on the pixel level, you can only give the widget images on your computer. However, the widget is not a comprehensive check! It's pretty hard to automatically determine, for instance, if an image has full, non-blurry outlines. Always double-check the rules in the OP and/or with a CAP mod.

--

Comments:
  • OwOniglio: Are you still planning to update your post with a final submission?
  • Blue Frog: I like that design much better! You have really clean lines and shading, and the concept is great. I fear that the dragons themselves are a little ordinary, though. They seem to be just... dragons.
  • FriesforNapkins: I'm not really sure where you're going with the design. I get the concept, but the design is rather amalgamated. I'd try to have a common theme or focus to help tie the concept together. A justification as to how this design is Comatose also can help. :)
  • Magistrum: The inverted fur color scheme looks awesome. :o It overall is a tight, cohesive design that fits well with CAP 23's flavor!
  • Falchion: Much better colors! They give the design a spooky Halloween-y vibe. I was thinking you could either change the pose or shading of the design, since it's a bit hard to follow at the moment. (Consider the shape of the silhouette.)

Last edited:
How close are we to the deadline? I've been getting a lot of work on my end so I haven't been able to continue working on my submission. May even have to concede D:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
How close are we to the deadline? I've been getting a lot of work on my end so I haven't been able to continue working on my submission. May even have to concede D:
We still have around a couple of weeks. Stats thread will wrap up in about 2 days, stat polls take around 2 days after that, and then comes the 2nd ability discussion + polls which will probably take around a week or less. After that we'll get a 48 or 72 hour notice to wrap up the art subs.

WIP 4

Eyes opened version~

Here's the colors I decided on, #2's palette with a greenish roof. Also removed the little flame above the head and added some dragon whiskers, along with making Wall Doggo transparent a little for that ghostly vibe.
I'll probably do a few more touch ups if there's nothing else to look at and once I finish my supporting art I'll have my final submission ready~

Not sure if I should have that slightly green hue outline if you guys can see it, what do you think?

EDIT: Altered the purple to be white with a light purple hue.

Last edited:
WIP 4

Here's the colors I decided on, #2's palette with a greenish roof. Also removed the little flame above the head and added some dragon whiskers, along with making Wall Doggo transparent a little for that ghostly vibe.
I'll probably do a few more touch ups if there's nothing else to look at and once I finish my supporting art I'll have my final submission ready~

Not sure if I should have that slightly green hue outline if you guys can see it, what do you think?
Geez That looks amazing! I agree that you could definitely make it a final submission soon. It fits comatose and is really adorable. You should be proud.

Brontocorpsus is back as promised! It is not lying down pretending to be dead to lure in scavengers and predators who think they have a free meal. It is peeking out its right eye to see if any are close enough for it to attack and trap them in the grip of its tail.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Depending on feedback this could result in my final submission! Thank you all!

Brontocorpsus is back as promised! It is not lying down pretending to be dead to lure in scavengers and predators who think they have a free meal. It is peeking out its right eye to see if any are close enough for it to attack and trap them in the grip of its tail.

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Depending on feedback this could result in my final submission! Thank you all!
I like the idea, it fits with comatose, trapping and the ghost type very well. The one thing that is weird is the way the bones are kind of laid on top of the skin. Otherwise I love the concept.

I like the idea, it fits with comatose, trapping and the ghost type very well. The one thing that is weird is the way the bones are kind of laid on top of the skin. Otherwise I love the concept.
First off, thank you so much! Secondly, the 'bones' are just a pattern on its skin. It uses the pattern as a camouflage or a mask to pretend like it is dead. I originally had the actual bones showing as if it were undead, but I got a lot of feedback saying that it wasn't fitting for a Pokemon. Sorry if I didn't make that clear!

Well, after a bit of trials and tribulations, I finally managed to produce a…

WIP 2 (Semifinal?)

I have changed the color scheme so that it wouldn't be too similar to Charizard X, by giving to the draconic shadow a purple hue. Also, I have tweaked the will-o-wisps in order to avoid covering too many details, and now the flames resemble more the fur of the Chinese dragons.

With this body shape, TrapCAP will be able to pull off typical Ghost and Dragon attacks, like Shadow Claw, Shadow Punch, Dragon Claw and Dragon Tail, as well as eventually flavor moves like Horn Attack and Smart Strike.

It also fits the concept of Comatose due to the Pokémon being potentially in a "sleeping mode" when hidden in the statue, before going into "attack mode" when a target is nearby. Also, being hidden in a statue could make it impervious to status ailments, further fitting the concept.

Minor detail: the statue now draws inspiration from the original statues in Pokémon Red/Green/Blue. In the final product it will be more worn out.

Will give feedback to the other artists in another post.

Last edited:
Darklatias92 i really love your design. I think that the color scheme and idea are really great and fit well together. Maybe make the statue a bit more like the dragon? I think that a supporting art of the dragon inside the statue "sleep mode" would also be really awesome. Keep up the good work!

Well, after a bit of trials and tribulations, I finally managed to produce a…

WIP 2 (Semifinal?)

I have changed the color scheme so that it wouldn't be too similar to Charizard X, by giving to the draconic shadow a purple hue. Also, I have tweaked the will-o-wisps in order to avoid covering too many details, and now the flames resemble more the fur of the Chinese dragons.

With this body shape, TrapCAP will be able to pull off typical Ghost and Dragon attacks, like Shadow Claw, Shadow Punch, Dragon Claw and Dragon Tail, as well as eventually flavor moves like Horn Attack and Smart Strike.

It also fits the concept of Comatose due to the Pokémon being potentially in a "sleeping mode" when hidden in the statue, before going into "attack mode" when a target is nearby. Also, being hidden in a statue could make it impervious to status ailments, further fitting the concept.

Minor detail: the statue now draws inspiration from the original statues in Pokémon Red/Green/Blue. In the final product it will be more worn out.

Will give feedback to the other artists in another post.
Hey there!
I really like your submission: the idea is original and fitting the concept and the design is awesome. But can I make you a suggestion? The style isn't very Sugimori-ish, the ghost fur is too much detailed. I think you have to choose between a Gastly-like smoke or an Arcanine-like fur or make a simpler and more essential version of your fur.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP 3

So, as Comatose was the winner, I encorporated the false eye idea onto its eyelid. It now sleeps, but looks like it's awake constantly. The design has darker highlights, and I added some scale marks to the majority of the body. I'll probably add a few more things to give the design a bit more complexity before my final submission.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
FINAL SUBMISSION

Goth Slug!

Supporting Art:
1. How it attacks
2. How it attacks, but when it's sleeping
3. "oops" - Tomo
4. How it attacks, animated a little bit to show how it looks
5. Alt-pose <-- This shows extra pieces of the design not visible in the main image!

Design Justification:
Goth Slug is based on the Glaucus Atlanticus, otherwise known as the "Blue Dragon". Together with the wavering tentacles and ghostly colors, helps it support that it's a Dragon/Ghost type. For Comatose, I went with the theme of making it a sort of lazy queen, a popular trope to assign characters of royalty. Posing it in a way that makes it look rather bored or unexcited also lends to the Comatose ability, but also makes it possible for it to have other abilities as well, since it isn't in a perpetually comatose state such as sleeping, being dead, or half-dead.

damn all this time and im still in wip stages, making final submissions soon just made cian longer

edit: NO LONGER ILLEGAL

Last edited:
Final Submission

Finally shaded my treasure chest mimic dragon. At first the bony parts ended up too yellow-ish, so I changed their hue to a light shade of blue (cold shades also fit better to a ghost). For contrast the tongue is now pink. The legs are now longer and somewhat lankier to reflect its 101 speed stat. Also I changed the pose from stretched out into coiled since that's the classic sleeping dragon pose.

Supporting Art:
Frontview
Sideview
Trapping Tomohawk
Flying Z-Move!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modpost!

CAP Secondary Ability Discussion is winding down, which means that we'll be wrapping up with art shortly. Artists will have 24 hours after the end of the last Secondary Ability Poll to make their final submissions, at which point this thread will be locked and we will proceed to art polls. Make sure your final submission post follows all of the rules in the opening post, or else it will be disqualified!

WIP

wow im late, but heres a first draft of the first idea that popped into my head. some kind of ouroboros dragon biting on its own tail like a baby sucking its thumb.. the colors arent anywhere near close to right, but any feedback appreciated!

Sunfished cool final sub!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)