CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 9 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Also, sidenote: why is the character limit still 11? As we saw in Gen 7 with Crabominable, GameFreak is fine with 12-letter names.

Last edited:
WIP

Colchoma

Essentially pronounced “coal-coma”.

The coma reference is obvious, but the first syllable comes from ’Colchis’ or ‘Colchian’. The Colchian dragon was a famous beast in Greek mythology that guarded the Golden Fleece. I thought it fit really well thematically with this small, vaguely ram-like(?) creature essentially creating a fearsome draconian guardian to defend it.

I’m aware that it’s a tad obscure and I found the two hard ‘c’ sounds tricky to fit into a fluent-sounding name, so I’m likely to overhaul this when I think of something better haha.

EDIT: I also wanted to say I’m really looking forward to seeing a huge variety of name submissions, because between trapping, Comatose and the unique character of this design, there are lots of potential sources of inspiration.

Last edited:
WIP

Lethargon(y)

Lethargic + Dragon, pretty simple and easily understood, with the tenuous addition of Agony to allude to its phantasmal nature. Sounds pretty snappy, but doesn't convey the full scope of the Pokemon due to the chosen design focusing more on the ghastly part of the triad over the reptilian one. Lethargon is a pretty intimidating name on the whole, so I'm not sure if it needs the addition of -y to spell out its ghastly elements.

Gotta chew on it, I guess.

WIP

Lethargeist

Lethargic + geist, refers to both the dragon and the apparition, flows pretty nicely when spoken also and the elements of the word immediately recognizable. Had that one in my mind for a while

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Slumberzerk

Slumber and berserk (thinking of using the alternate spelling with a z cuz zzzz = sleep... but Drampa's ability is with an S :/ ). It makes clear that the Pokemon is most dangerous when asleep.

Wyvernation

Wyvern + Hybernation

Soporifiend

Soporific + Fiend

Linnorpor

Linnorm + Torpor

Well that’s 3 WIPs, I’d love some feedback on a favourite! My support is totally for Lucidrake as well!

Last edited:
WIP

Phobegon
(possibly Phobeton/Phobelon)

Portmanteau of 'Phobetor', the ancient Greek personification of nightmares, and 'Dragon'. CAP 23 doesn't look like it's having a nightmare itself, but it certainly looks like it could bring nightmares to its opponents.

Also I really like Lethargon and Lethargeist. They just have a strong sound to them.

WIP

Persoulnap

Persona + soul + nap Projected personality instead of true self, soul is appropriate for a ghost and nap is for sleeping.

Pronounced: <Per-soul-nap>

IPA: </pəˈsəʊlnap/>

Remtillian

REM + reptilian Eye activity while dreaming and this dragon, like most, seems to be a reptilian creature.

Pronounced: <Rem-tih-lee-in>

IPA: </rɛmˈtɪlɪən/

WIP

Snoosle

Snooze, Noose and Nuzzle
referencing that it's permanently asleep, a trap such a the noose of a lasso, an allusion to death as in hanging rope, nuzzle being a synonym to cuddling up which also alludes to sleep and how cute the actual body is

IPA: /snuːz(ə)l/

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Draghost

a lot of thought went into this name, when i was looking at this pokemon i noticed that it has many qualities of both a dragon and ghost (for example if you look at it's typing it is both a dragon AND a ghost type) so i thought I'd merge it together with the name of Draghost.

Time to give feedback for those with multiple options and requests for feedback.

WIP

Drakid

Although it comes from "Drake" + "Id", this works just as well as coming from "Dragon" and "Kid". Pick your favourite and I promise that's my favourite too :P

---

I'm also going to post a second one, based purely on the fact that I realised that Reiga's art is a Kid Napping. A Kidnapping. Which is a fairly strong trapping pun. Kidnapping in my accent actually corrupts for a wyvern addition, ergo I'm also going to WIP Kidnappern. (2/3 WIPs gone already, it's sorta like my bank balance...)
Drakid sounds more suitable to a prevo IMO (Kind of like how Drampa should have a prevo.). The kidnapping idea is cool though, so I would go with Kidnapern here.
Here are two names I'm considering:

Drajinn

"Dragon" + "Djinn"

Pronounced: "DRA-gin"
IPA: dræʤɪn

The big dragon is ghostly, has a wispy tail, and comes out of a smaller container. You might call it a genie. I thought that "dragon" and "djinn" fit really well together. :)

--

Phantasmall

"Phantasmal" + "Small"

Pronounced: "fan-TAH-small"
IPA: fæntæzmoʊl

I really like "phantasm" as a base word for this 'mon, since it can refer to either ghosts or dreams, which is a perfect fit for this 'mon. "Small" referring to the small sleeping dragon is a natural choice of word to combine with "phantasmal". :)
I prefer Drajinn. The "small" seems too tacked on to me, despite the real mon's size.

WIP

Draedolon

A combination of 'Dragon', 'Dread', and 'Eidolon'. I think this name fits very well with our current design and sounds like a very GameFreak-ish name.

WIP

Slumbra

A combination of 'Slumber' and 'Umbra'. It kind of gives a rather slow feel to the name but I think these two words fit together so nicely that I just couldn't not put them together.
I prefer Draedolon. It fits better and the "umbra" its dark (or moon or shadow related mon) better than ghost.

WIP

Polterguise

"Poltergeist + Guise"

Poltergeists trap victims in haunted places. A (dis)guise is a false presentation. Our Pokemon disguises itself cutely to trap opponents :)

- - -

WIP

Napparition

"Nap + Apparition"

Nap is a quick period of rest. Apparition is another word for ghost.
Both these are great. I have a slight preference for Napparition though.
WIP

Hauntuque

Haunt+Tuque
Pronounced: Haun-TOOK

Haunt is a verb that implies spiritual pestering or possession of an item or location, or alternatively the spirit possessing said place. Tuque is another name for a knit cap or nightcap, which smolgon's horn resembles/is.

~0~

Langwurm/Dozywurm

Pronounce: LANG-worm/DO-zy-worm

Play on "Lindwurm" with Languid-wurm, or Dozy-wurm. The Lindwurm or lindworm is a british dragon-like creature that was said to hold a kingdom hostage after being born from the queen as a result of a botched ritual. The root of it is linnorm, which is a nordic word for dragon or sea serpent. Alternative spellings Langnorm/Dozynorm/Langiwurm/Doziwurm.

~0~

Nidmare/Naidmare

Nidhogg+Nightmare
Pronounce: NAID-mare

Nidhogg is a norse mythological dragon that gnawed on the roots of Yggdrasil... Except this time it's a nightmare!
I think Langwom is best here, though Hauntuque is very creative.

WIP

Dragnet

Pretty obvious, dragnet is a type of net used to catch marine life and while CAP doesn't relate to water, catching other mons is de rigueur for CAP. The name also has a nice simplicity to it and accommodates CAP's dragon typing well.

Napparition
Thank god for the 11 character limit. Combing nap + apparition into another simple but effective name. I considered going with Napparation to try and fit 'incarcerate' in there to account for CAP's trapping aspect but didn't like the sound of it as much.
While I prefer it, Napparition is taken by Deck Knight already.

My 2 suggestions will be: poltermagant
Poltergeist is ghost related, termagant is a word referencing destruction and fits well seeing as he is a dragon.
2nd suggestion: Hypwyvern
Is a sleeping ghost, so added hyp as in hypno, the god of sleep or hypnosis, putting one into a trance. Wyvern is a 2 legged dragon, which is fitting for this cap in particular, his 2 legs and all. Now traditionally wyverns have barbed tails but the baby on his back has spikes on its tail, and as this is concept art the final sprite may yet have a spiked tail.
I think Hypwyvern is more fitting, even thought poltermagant is a better pun.

Yo here a random name

WIP

Pucaisa

Derived from Púca (ghost in irish) and aisling (dream in irish), with the extra a for sounding good. Want to also add the irish word for dragon into it (that being dragan), but I would like some more input on that subject. The revamp would probably be Pucaigan in that case.

But why the focus on Irish translations? Well, dragons are commonly seen in European mythology as evil and malevolant creatures, which I find very fitting to the typing and the baby dragon's dream form. They also commonly slept in caves, which also works with the design and especially Comatose. So those are just my thoughts.

Still very much willing to change my submission if need be, so critique would be great!
The English pokemon names tend to use English puns, which makes me less likely to support this. Sorry.

Visharem

Armenian for dragon plus rem sleep.

Alternatively

Circadrake

Circadian clock plus Drake.
For similar reasons to the above, I prefer Circadrake.

Wyvernation

Wyvern + Hybernation

Soporifiend

Soporific + Fiend

Linnorpor

Linnorm + Torpor

Well that’s 3 WIPs, I’d love some feedback on a favourite! My support is totally for Lucidrake as well!
Linnorpor looks like the best pun here.

WIP

Slumborm

Slumber + Lindworm

Nightpair

Nightmare + Pair
Similarly, I'd go with Slumborm here.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
WIP

Phantosnorm

I’m thinkin this is a fusion of “phantom,” “phantasm,” and “snore.” Although in my opinion it doesn’t capture the cuteness of the little guy enough :/

Noddolon

An amalgam of a corrupted “nod off” and “eidolon,” a spirit.

While I prefer it, Napparition is taken by Deck Knight already.
Deck Knight's post was edited with Napparition after I had already made my post so uh

WIP

Polterguise

"Poltergeist + Guise"

Poltergeists trap victims in haunted places. A (dis)guise is a false presentation. Our Pokemon disguises itself cutely to trap opponents :)

- - -

WIP

Napparition

"Nap + Apparition"

Nap is a quick period of rest. Apparition is another word for ghost.
Deck Knight If you wouldn't remind removing Napparition it'd be appreciated. Sorry.

WIP

Jammywammy

Jammies + Whammies. A cutesy, almost baby talk name. Also sounds a bit like Jabberwocky

Pronounced: "JA-mi-WA-mi"
IPA: dʒæmiwæmi

Last edited:
WIP

Drastralis

"Dragon" + "Astralis"

Pronounced: "dra-STRA-liss"
IPA: dræ'strælɪs

The first part of the name is simply derived from dragon as a reference to the Pokemon's Dragon typing. The latter component references the Pokemon's design and ability with the concept of astral projection, a form of out-of-body experience. Astral is derived from the Latin word astralis.

WIP

Phantosnorm

I’m thinkin this is a fusion of “phantom,” “phantasm,” and “snore.” Although in my opinion it doesn’t capture the cuteness of the little guy enough :/

Noddolon

An amalgam of a corrupted “nod off” and “eidolon,” a spirit.
I'd go with Phantosnorm

The other fees too simple for what it's trying to convey in my opinion.

Deck Knight's post was edited with Napparition after I had already made my post so uh

Deck Knight If you wouldn't remind removing Napparition it'd be appreciated. Sorry.
Sorry. I didn't know.

WIP

Draithereal

(Dray-THERE-ee-all)

From "Dragon", "Wraith", and "Ethereal".

Spectilian

(Speck-TILL-ee-ann)

From "Specter" and "Reptilian".

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
W0rm

Yeah, sorry about that. Didn't double-check all the posts in the thread when I editted it in. It's removed now.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Phantazee

(Fan-tuh-zee)

Phantasm + Fantasy + Zees as in ZZZ or counting Zs. :^J

alternatively

Phantazed
(Fan-tuh-zeh-d)
Same thing, but british pronounciation of Z.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)