CAP Player of the Week #6: Jas61292

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
(Inspired by threads in OU and other forums, co-hosted by SHSP and Airwind, Banner by Centinela)

Hello and welcome to the CAP player of the week! In this project, Airwind and I will interview some of our metagame’s best innovators, builders, and players! This week's interviewee is Jas61292, CAP Room Owner and CAPtain of the CAPTT's ---- Malacondas! If you have anyone who you would like to be interviewed, please PM either Airwind or me!

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I'm a 25 year old from upstate New York with a degree in Computer Science, currently working at a local hospital.

What are you most known for on Smogon?

Probably for being a leader of CAP, honestly. I've been a two time Topic Leader for the project, as well as a moderator for a fairly long time now. Though, in certain circles on Smogon I might be better known for sticking my nose in site/metagame policy discussions despite otherwise not really being involved in things outside CAP. But that was far more prevalent in the past than today.

What is your favorite Pokemon, and why?

Quilava. I don't really have a favorite for competitive reasons, but I like Pokemon that are cute, and I also really like Pokemon that are cool looking, and to me, Quilava is the best of both worlds. Also, I have a Quilava plushie and I love it.

What is your favorite CAP?

Malaconda. While I certainly have a soft spot for Tomohawk and Kitsunoh, among others, for their competitive use now or in the past, I will always feel a special connection with Malaconda due to it being the first of the Pokemon who's process I TLed.

What is your most used Pokemon?

In the past, before the CAP updates, it was most certainly Volkraken, who I had on almost every team I ever made. Since the updates, I've only made a few new teams, and they are mostly varied, but Tomohawk is the only one on more than one team, and it is a Pokemon I have traditionally used a lot, so I would probably have to go with that.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?

Well, I first really got involved on Smogon because of CAP, but I originally found the site through the strategy dex, which taught me how to train Pokemon in game in 4th gen.

How were you introduced to the CAP project?

Well, I first came across the project back when it was on its own Shoddy Battle server. I played a few matches, but never really got involved at the time. Later on I randomly wandered onto the forums during the ending stages of the Voodoom project and checked out the art, but again, didn't really get involved. It was the following year, at the beginning of the Tomohawk project, where I once again just randomly stumbled on the forums, that I decided to post in the concept poll. And I just dove right in and started participating from then on.

What is the best part of the creation of a CAPmon in your opinion?

While I absolutely love looking over and analyzing concepts, I think Abilities are usually where my favorite debates and discussions take place, so I'd probably say that is my favorite.

What is your favorite CAP OM? (like cap lc, monotype, doubles)

Well, I've never played too much of any of them, but I do really like out baby CAPs, so I like CAP LC in theory. Though... if there was like... random battles, but with CAP, I would be totally hooked.

What made you choose your name?

That's actually a really silly story. Basically, I've used this name for a number of things, going back a long time, but the first one was an email address I got back when I was in 3rd grade. My dad was setting it up for me, and we had decided to make it my initials and my birthday. Except... my dad put the wrong date. But I really didn't care and just used it anyways. And then used it for other things, and eventually here. So yeah, basically it is my initials followed by a string of numbers that represents a date 3 days away from my birthday, but that is otherwise meaningless.

What is your favorite Generation of Pokemon and why?

That is a really tough question. I used to always say 2nd gen, because I really liked playing through the games, but right now, I feel like I have to say 7th, because I just absolutely loved Sun and Moon. Competitively, I honestly liked 5th the best, and BW2 were some of my favorite games, but all around, I'm gonna have to go with 7th.

Thoughts at the beginning of this CAP project?

I think the concept is interesting, but it will be somewhat of a challenge to pull off. But, I do like how there really are so many different ways that we can approach it at nearly every stage, which makes for a great project. So, I think it has a lot of potential.

Thoughts on CAPTT so far?

I'm really liking my team's composition, and am not at all surprised by our first matchup victory. I definitely think the Malacondas can go all the way.

Is there any advice you would give to newer players in terms of playing and building, competing in tournaments, etc?

To ask someone else :P. But in all seriousness, my style of building and playing is to pretty much build teams in 5 minutes with only a bit of general thought to common matchups, and to then adjust continuously as I test things until I am satisfied. That style doesn't work for everyone, but the general idea of practicing a lot is generally the best thing I can think to say. Its just as important to know how to best use your team well as it is to have a good team to begin with.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?

Well, there are a ton of great people here, far too many to name everyone but I would first and foremost give a shout out to my fellow CAP forum mods, Birkal, Deck, DHR, Doug, HeaL, and reach, as well as all the former mods who I have had the pleasure of working with, including DLC and nyttyn. There are tons of other people as well, including all the CAP PS room staff and others, but if I took the time to list everyone, I'd never finish. So I'll just leave it at that.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How would you feel if we had side projects to make mons just for older generations?
It would be fun. I mean, I would enjoy just about any CAP like project, so long as it follows a similar debate-centric format. We made Pokemon in past gens, after all. We just did it before they were past gens. That being said, finding a large enough group of people for older metagames would probably be a lot harder. So while I have nothing against the idea in theory, I'm not sure how well it would actually pan out.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's your favorite adjective that starts with the letter M?

Just wondering.
Midst the myriad mediocre "M" modifiers, there are a multitude that are marvelous. But as the difference in merit of these magnificent means of description is, mournfully, minute, it is with melancholy that I may not manage to mark a morpheme mass with which I am most mesmerized.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
If the endeavor was actually ever authorized and approved, what CAP (gen 4 most likely) would you like to see get an alolan form?
I'll go with Strategem. It's whole thing was to just be unique for its type, so I would be really interested to see how it would function with a completely different type. Also, I think it would be really cool to see how artists would try to adapt the incredibly obvious Rock type into something different, without losing its core essence.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
oh cool a shoutout

jas i'm curious, how do you feel about the status of megas in CAP moving forward? it seems to have been something of an abandoned "one gen and done" idea by GF - do you think it'd be worth going back to explore the idea again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)