CaP Prevos: Privatyke - Part 1 - Overview & Type Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Heya fellow Little CAP people!

The next Generation 4 Prevo that we will be tackling is Privatyke! With Arghonaut's update being completed, the Prevolution Workshop can get started working on Privatyke.​

While we did vote to keep the name and design of Privatyke, we don't actually have any official art of it so I would love to give artists time to get started before the Art Submissions thread is opened up down the line. What interesting things could Privatyke do similar to its evolution, Arghonaut? What could be different? We are going to start off by discussing the Privatyke's potential typing. Arghonaut itself is Water/Fighting, so that combination will make the poll regardless. Do any other type combinations jump out at you? Feel free to explain how and why you do or don't feel Privatyke embodies a Water/Fighting type like its evolution.
Remember, we are still a Primarily Flavor Project. Yes, CaP LC Exists, but let's try not to let it cloud our judgement too much. I don't want to see any min/maxing stats or other dodgy looking subs. Oh, one more thing. We we be making these with Gen 7 in mind. I might talk to some of the Prevo Contributors after the fact about making "Gen 4 Versions", but that is a little way down the line.​

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
To me Privatyke looks like a Water/Dark type or Water/Fighting type, while it can pull off the pure water typing I think the dual typing really fits it. Firstly I say water dark because of the bags underneath Privatykes eyes, they're so dreary and when compared to that of it's body colour there's a really big contrast which I interpret was a water/dark type. This contrast between light and dark colours on dark types can be seen in things like Muk-Alola, Greninja, Sharpedo (the last 2 being water/dark). The natural comparative elements between Privatyke and Arghonaut justify Water/Fighting already, things like the Durag that it's wearing also support it being humanistic.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I can see Privatyke being a Water-type or a Water- and Fighting-type. Privatyke doesn't have the same boxing gloves, sword, and hook that Arghonaut has, so it's Fighting-type qualities are much less pronounced. However, I can see its Fighting-type since it does get Close Combat and Knock Off in its egg movepool.

I personally would think either Water/Fighting or pure Water. Privatyke fights under the command and wishes of Arghonaut, and as pictured, he looks ready and willing to serve no matter the cost. That's where the fighting type comes into play for me, but I can also see pure Water, as he is not as proficient or strong as Arghonaut, but rather just eager. Either or works for me.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pure Water seems like it would fit Privatyke, as it hasn't climbed up the ranks as a pirate captain to actually fight battles, and would most likely just swab the deck.

I would actually not oppose Water/Fighting typing however.

Last edited:
Water/Fighting and pure Water are the only ones that really make sense. Of these, I'd pick pure Water since the Fighting-type aspect of Arghonaut (the boxing gloves) is noticeably absent on Privatyke.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Water/Normal is cool because Privatyke has not yet evolved to become the "Fighting" pirate captain that he is now. Normal and Water have been combined before for Bibarel, so the combination is not unprecedented.

I personally like mono Water or Water/Fighting for the sake of consistency, and Arghonaut has received Close Combat and Knock Off in its new movepool.

I am 100% in love with Mono-Water. Priv (a shortened version of the name) does not look ready to fight whatsoever. I honestly do not like Water/Normal, as it doesn't really look like a normal type. Bibarel, the only Water/Normal type, has nothing in common with Priv to back up this idea. The bidoof line are beavers. That is normal. Privatyke is a squid of some sort. That isn't normal.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pure Water type would be my first thought here. Arghonaut had pronounced fighting type elements that Privatyke lacks, but it's basis on a sea creature and overall coloration remains the same. As such retaining just this primary trying makes the most sense. That said, I also have no issue with it just keeping the fighting type and having no change at all. No change is the most common thing, and would certainly be fine here.

I don't want to see another bizarre type change (ie Breezi, Voodoll, Scratchet) as they aren't that common in the main series games (No to Water/Normal or Water/Dark). Mirroring what the majority of people above me have said, I support Water or Water / Fighting. This might be a bad opinion. On the contrary with a bizarre type change, Water / Flying seems unlikely but still possible because it looks like a bird and has wings (Would suck if it was a penguin though). It's grasping for a lot of straws, but it's just an idea that I have. So in my opinion, the order would go
1. Water
2. Water/Fighting
---------------------
3. Water/Flying
4. Everything else

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Privatyke has a sword for a hand so I can definitely see him being Water/Fighting easily.

It's nice to know that Tyke's right arm is actually a sword. As such, Water/Fighting has all of my support now. Just remember that it's still an octopus.

G-Luke

Hmm, now Water/Fighting to me has more support. I still ultimately believe Water is the way to go, as to me Privatyke looks too timid to be a fighter.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hmm, now Water/Fighting to me has more support. I still ultimately believe Water is the way to go, as to me Privatyke looks too timid to be a fighter.
I've always looked at Privatyke saluting, but not really wanting to show respect when he does. Kinda like he's thinking about what tricks he's going to try to pull while Arghonaut is unaware of the situation.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so it seems like pure Water-type and Water/Fighting has gotten plenty of support (enough to make the slate for sure), but I want to see more opinions on Squawkerz's proposal of Water/Flying because I feel it is a bit more unique since Privatyke is more bird-like than Arghonaut and people have been a bit more leery of Water/Fighting (until DHR's post in particular) and I personally thought of Water/Flying whenever I was talking to DHR about this mon. While it does mean a "weird type change", I feel there is some flavor there as Privatyke is more flighty and seems more like a scout of a "pirate's ship" while Arghonaut is the captain and is thus more confrontational i.e. the Fighting-type.

Either way, it is looking like the slate is shipping up to be a pretty straightforward one :)

Discussion on this will end within 48 hours.

To me, the only bird quality of Privatyke is that jar hat thing. Other than that, it just looks like a squid to me. Also, Argho's inspiration has nothing to do with birds or anything. Overall, while a neat idea, Water/Flying is too out there to get my support.

I strongly believe that Privatyke is a bird. It has wings, two feet, a tail, and a beak. The only things that are different are that it doesn't have feathers, and it has more complex wings, which act as surrogate arms.

G-Luke

Even if we decide to use the rather loose flavouring and design, we would eventually have to add some flying type attacks, which are basically non existent on Arghonaut.

I mean its a preliminary sprite which can easily have design flaws and we can't be sure exactly what the artist was trying to capture.

I strongly believe that Privatyke is a bird. It has wings, two feet, a tail, and a beak. The only things that are different are that it doesn't have feathers, and it has more complex wings, which act as surrogate arms.
I strongly believe Privatyke is an octopus. It has five tentacles (two used as arms, three used as legs) and a beak. The only thing that is different is that its tentacles on its base aren't very pronounced, and that can easily be due to hasty sprite making.

See^ its all about interpretation.

What I am trying to say is, no offence to the OG artist, but Privatyke is a poorly drawn squid / octopus. So that flying type thing needs to be thrown out the window.

Water/Flying is nothing short of a massive stretch. Arghonaut learns exactly zero Flying-type moves, and this isn't similar to the Breezi/Fidgit case because Breezi has noticeable design differences from Fidgit in that it's airborne. The "birds have beaks" argument also doesn't hold weight, as octopi and squids also have beaks.

If we're going to slap on a new type, at least Water/Dark has some believability based on Arghonaut's existing movepool and Privatyke's design. But I still think pure Water or Water/Fighting would be much better options.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Water/Flying looks like a very random typing to give it. Although it has qualities of a penguin, I think basing the type entirely off of that would make the transition into Water/Fighting even weirder. For consistency, I think either Water or Water/Fighting would keep the evolution grounded, as well as keep it more related to an octopus than it trying to stretch as a penguin.

My main reason for keeping it consistent is that the main games don't tend to do such weird type changes like that. Even design wise, the only thing that does something as drastic as a Penguin --> Octopus is a Fish --> Octopus, and we all know how badly received that evolution was.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Yea, I don't really understand the whole Water/Flying argument, as they main argument of how birds have beaks is completely invalidated by the fact that Octopus' having beaks, as well as squids. Its a fairly weak comparison, and there is nothing else linking it to the typing. As for my thoughts on typing, either of the options are fine, but I am leaning more towards Water than Water/Fighting. I'm not sure if one sword can fully justify a typing, and Privatyke doesn't show much of the Fighting type in its sprite design.

Water/Flying

Uh, birds aren't the only ones that have beaks, you know. That's probably the only thing I can think off to even justify this typing on Prive and it's not even a trait exclusive to birds. I'm all for unique typing, hell I can even see Water/Steel just cause of the sword hand (then again Argho has a sword AND a hook and it is not Steel)

So yeah I think I'm gonna go with the masses and say pure Water for me.

For me it's gonna be pure water lol. Well water and normal look appealing to me though, and it can be done as voodoll is a normal type, even thought it's evo is fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)