CaP Prevos: Privatyke - Part 2 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey guys!

Welcome to the second step of Privatyke's creation! Here we will talk about various abilities which we believe would fit with Privatyke thematically and with its evolved form! Arghonaut gets Unaware alongside the newest addition, Technician. Arghonaut enjoys being able to check setup sweepers in a pinch or become a very powerful wallbreaker that is backed by utility with some weaker moves. Arghonaut's combination of abilities will make it to the final poll regardless (Unaware/Technician), but discussion is still encouraged!

Do you think these abilities match with Privatye? Would you rather see another ability have a spotlight on Privatyke specifically? Try and keep in mind that Privatyke originated in Gen 4, so I'd like at least one "older" ability to be considered if we decide to change things up!

It goes without saying that ridiculous suggestions will be moderated. Have fun!

Prevo so far:
Name: Privatyke
Typing: Water/Fighting

Okay, so I have an ability combination that might sound strange, but hear me out:

Wimp Out (Technician)

Personally, I see the relation between Privatyke and Arghonaut being similar to Team Skull; the grunts put up a fight, but flee when defeated. Privatyke could easily abandon ship when the going gets tough, but if it conquers its fears, it will evolve! Another reason for Wimp Out is that Arghonaut has no flavor abilities, so I thought at least Privatyke should. Also, I didn't want to have the ability replaced by Unaware to overshadow it, so Wimp Out was a good fit for both of those things.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unaware/Technician both still fit Privatyke. Privatyke looks more Unaware than Arghonaut with those beady eyes it has, so I'd keep it if Privatyke's getting a different ability. Here are a few ideas for other abilities:
  • Keen Eye would be a nice fit, since Privatyke's pose shows it keeping watch.
  • Insomnia or Vital Spirit could work, since Privatyke appears to have bags under its eyes and it could keep a vigil.
  • Hustle as Privatyke looks like the type of Pokemon to enthusiastically rush into a fight.
  • Swift Swim/Rain Dish/Hydration as generic Water-type abilities.
  • Suction Cups because it's a squid?
Keen Eye -> Technician or Hustle -> Technician would be my choices for an ability change, but I still like the original abilities.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like Inner Focus / Technician

Inner Focus
is a very common Fighting type ability, and I think fits quite well on a ship private like Privatyke.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I like Inner Focus / Technician

Inner Focus
is a very common Fighting type ability, and I think fits quite well on a ship private like Privatyke.
Inner Focus is kinda cool. Privatyke at first has to get used to being on a pirate ship, and after it evolves into Arghonaut, it becomes Unaware to the ship rocking just because it's used to it.

Inner Focus is kinda cool. Privatyke at first has to get used to being on a pirate ship, and after it evolves into Arghonaut, it becomes Unaware to the ship rocking just because it's used to it.
I agree. Inner Focus (Technician) sounds like our best option. On a quick tangent, why did we not give Arghonaut a flavor ability?

Argh's current Abilities fit Privatyke quite nicely, so they may as well stay. The only other option I can think of is Inner Focus to replace Unaware until it evolves, but these octopi don't seem like the type to pay attention to the opponent's method of boosting.

G-Luke I'm referring more to the pirate-like characterization of these CAPs than real-world octopi.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Argh's current Abilities fit Privatyke quite nicely, so they may as well stay. The only other option I can think of is Inner Focus to replace Unaware until it evolves, but these octopuses don't seem like the type to pay attention to details.
Actually thats quite the opposite. Octopi rely on attention for detail for survival.

Last edited:
I think Klutz or Tangled feet could be good flavor abilities if Privatyke doesn't have his sea legs yet.

or we could give it Dancer so it can do a pirate jig.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I like most of the suggestions so far, but another option could be Vital Spirit (Technician). This would represent their love and passion when working for Arghonaut, and they get little sleep when working for him anyways. A few Fighting types and more passionate Pokemon also get this ability, so I think it could fit.

G-Luke

I like most of the suggestions so far, but another option could be Vital Spirit (Technician). This would represent their love and passion when working for Arghonaut, and they get little sleep when working for him anyways. A few Fighting types and more passionate Pokemon also get this ability, so I think it could fit.
Nothing about Privatyke's design screams passionate to me. It actually looks slightly dazed.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
I'd honestly like to see Technician stay on Privatyke. With one arm as a sword, you need to be pretty good at using it.

Unaware / Technician
Inner Focus / Technician
Oblivious / Technician

I personally like these options.

In my opinion, Unaware is a great choice for Privatyke's primary ability. Given how essential it is to Arghonaut's competitive identity, it feels wrong, to me, to remove it from Privatyke. Furthermore, I envision Privatyke as the kind of creature that mindlessly and obediently performs its duties until called into action by Arghonaut, and Unaware represents this nicely. If Unaware must be replaced, although I do not particularly care for this route, I'd like to voice my support for Oblivious. Oblivious is an ability which fits from a flavor perspective, in my opinion, based on Privatyke's appearance, and scales nicely into Unaware upon evolution.

As far as secondary abilities go, I'm personally in favor of Suction Cups and Technician. I don't really see the need to switch either of Arghonaut's abilities, but I like the flavor that Suction Cups brings to the table if chosen. Privatyke is, after all, a baby squid, and a simple ability representing its species' natural capabilities is appealing to me. On the other hand, Technician is a useful ability which has decent flavor potential, and given the lack of flavorful "scaling" options available for it, I would not be opposed to keeping it.

Therefore, I must put my support behind Unaware / Technician and Unaware / Suction Cups. If we're looking for a different primary ability, though, I think that Oblivious / Technician is the best option available.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
No, I mean why did we leave it at two abilities rather than something like this:

Unaware / (Flavor Ability) / Technician
Okay so I was looking through the dex for examples of mons like this and I found Crobat. The Zubat line only had Inner Focus as its ability until Gen 5, where it gained the HA of Infiltrator. Nincada is the same, with only two abilities (Normal/Hidden). Although in that instance it could be "Early bug type weirdness" as most of the others follow a similar pattern. Interestingly, it is mostly "special" Pokemon who follow this pattern (outside of Zubat) with most of the Pseudo-legend lines and a few Legendary Pokemon having a single ability and then a HA as well as Starters and the Eevee octoplet. Cacnea/Phanpy and probably a few others who are probably the closest parallel we are going to find as a "Normal" Pokemon with two stages which had a single ability until Gen 5 added another. However in nearly all the instances I find, the HA stays the same throughout the evolution tree. Other examples here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_Ability . Bizarrely, Oddish is the only one which really stands out, changing HA's throughout its forms and in that instance its primary ability remains the same.

I actually quite like keeping the pairing of Unaware and Technician. Privatyke could be "Unaware" of the messes made on a ship, and he could be proficient in fixing things as a first mate might do. I also like Suction Cups as a choice, very flavoursome.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so here are the combo of abilities I feel will make the slate with no argument:

Unaware / Technician
Unaware / Suction Cups
Oblivious / Technician

I feel like the following abilities need to be discussed a bit more (if they want to hope to make the slate):

Inner Focus --> Unaware
Vital Spirit --> Technician

Consider this your 24 hour warning before we go to a poll! :)

I like Unaware/Technician best, however, I see merit in Inner Focus and Vital Spirit on Privatyke.
I would suggest:
Vital Spirit/Technician
Inner Focus/Technician
Unaware/Inner Focus

Out of these new suggestions I personally see the most merit in Inner Focus/Technician.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
I don't like Suction Cups on Privatyke. Yes it's a squid. However, its sprite shows no visible suction cups on its tentacles. What's worse to me is that it loses Suctions Cups when it evolves, despite Arghoanaut still being a squid? That doesn't really make much sense. What makes more sense is the Oblivious/Inner Focus -> Unaware because it focuses on a growth in the evolution line's character rather than Suction Cups, which makes Privatyke more independent from Arghonaut by focusing on design as a prevo (Suction Cups) and fighting technique later (Technician).

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally, I don't see any real reason to change anything with regard to its abilities. I could see something like Oblivious if we really wanted change, but Unaware is perfectly fitting as is, and already seems to cover that side of things. I'm not really sold at all on Inner Focus or Vital Spirit or that kind of thing, as it seems to be trying to attribute to Privityke a trait that I really don't see. Suction Cups is also not something I love as we can see its arms, and there are no real visible suction cups on them. Its not a terrible choice, due to what it is based on, but I just don't like it compared with just keeping Arghonaut's abilities.

Yeah, agreeing on keeping Privatyke's Abilities unchanged. I'm not sure why people always suggest a myriad of Ability changes when a large majority of Pokemon lines don't have them. I think the real question to ask in these discussions isn't "Why does Ability X fit the prevo?", but, "Why don't the evolution's Abilities fit the prevo enough that it warrants a change?" In this case, the rank of captain is given to pirates who have earned enough reputation/influence that other pirates will fall under their command. Privatyke uses evolution to convey the change, but it doesn't change the fact that the physical capabilities of a pirate don't change upon promotion. If anything, I think the Abilities fit Privatyke more than they do Arghonaut, because regular pirates follow commands without question if they value their heads (Unaware) and do all of the maintenance to keep a ship afloat (Technician).

nv

The Lost Age
Sorry I waited so long on this. The poll is going up shortly and there will only be two options to vote on.

Unaware/Technician
Oblivious/Technician

Agains, sorry for the delay.
Thanks in advance DHR for locking this up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)