CAP Survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
-shamelessly stolen from Jalmont and modified to fit more of a competitive CAP metagame theme-

On a remote island somewhere in the region of CAPtonia, a group of 19 trainers will begin an adventure of a lifetime. For 39 days, they'll be marooned, left to fend for themselves, and adapt to their new environment. They'll be forced to work together, or they'll be voted out of the tribe. In the end, only one will remain, and will leave the island with the title of Sole Survivor. 39 days. 19 people. 1 Survivor! Read the next post below to see the tribes!

Rules / FAQ below for your viewing convenience

IF ANYONE NOT PLAYING THE GAME DISCOVERS HIDDEN CLUES THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHARE THE CLUES WITH ANYONE NOT EVEN THEIR DOG.

1. Game Basics:
There will be either two starting tribes with 8, 9, or 10 people each OR three starting tribes with 5 or 6 people each. Tribe size will be based on the number of people who sign up. Tribes will be setup in order to ensure that both tribes are about equal in battling skill (as best as possible, no guarantees).

-During the Day phases of the game there will be immunity challenges. Immunity challenges decide who is safe and who has to go to tribal council.

-During the Tribal Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost as a whole tribe. The tribe that loses in the immunity challenge will have to go to Tribal Council and vote someone out.

-During the Individual Stage of the game, challenges will be won and lost by a single person. The winner of the immunity challenge cannot be voted upon, but (s)he will be able to vote.

2. Challenges
Challenges will normally consist of Pokemon battles using the Pokemon Showdown! simulator. Occasionally there will be non-battle challenges; however, the majority will involve some sort of Pokemon battling. Possibilities for non Pokemon battling challenges include things such as CAP process trivia or metagame statistics.

Challenges will vary in terms of tiers and rules, but all formats will be CAP metagame related.

-At the start of the Day phase, the details of the challenge will be posted.

-During Tribal (Team) challenges, some players will have to sit out some of the challenges. Players cannot sit out during two consecutive challenges. Yes, this is a little different from the show.

You don't need to be good at battling to succeed in Survivor. While being good at battling will help, no competitive battling experience is necessary. It's not required, but having CAP metagame experience will be very helpful to do well.

3. Tribal Council:
-Tribal Council will occur at the Night phase after the Immunity Challenge.

There will be a private Vote to see who is eliminated from the game.

-The vote total will be revealed to the tribe at the end of the night, but you will not know who voted for who.

-In case of an initial tie, there will be a re-vote where you can only vote for one of the people with the most votes. For example, if there are 3 votes for Player A, 3 votes for Player B, and 1 vote for Player C in a 7 man tribe, you may only vote for Player A or B during the re-vote.

-In case of a second tie, the player who leaves will be determined by a random number generator. The players who tied for the most votes both times will be safe from this tiebreaker. In the previous example, players A and B would be safe.

Players voted out (aka dead) cannot be communicated with following their removal from the game. There will be absolutely no communication between dead players and alive players. This will change when the game reaches its conclusion, but until then, this rule will be strictly enforced.

At a certain point, those voted out will form the Jury. The Jury is special in that they follow the game in order to vote for a winner at the end of the game.

4. Winning the Game:
-The goal of the game is to reach the Final Tribal Council, which typically occurs with just two or three people left in the game. You cannot win the game unless you make it to the Final Tribal Council.

-At the Final Tribal Council, the remaining players in the game speak to the jury and try to convince the jury that they deserve to win the game.

-Each finalist is allowed to make an opening statement on why they deserve to win the game.

Following opening statements, each Jury member is allowed to make either a statement or ask the finalists a question if they choose to. They may say or ask whatever they want.

-When everyone is done speaking, the jury will vote privately on who wins the game. Whoever gets the most votes wins.

5. Forum Mechanics:
A typical phase will go like this. I post a challenge and the rules. Teams will have around 48 hours to plan strategy and submit lineups (and other stuff like that). From there, tribes will have about 3-5 days to get matches done. The losing tribe will then go to tribal council where they will vote a person off.

The circus maximus channel CAP room on Pokemon Showdown! will be the primary place where games will be arranged. Try to idle there to catch your opponent!

No communication with players not on your tribe during the tribal stage. Obviously, I can't enforce this but other than pleasantries do not talk strategy regarding the game in a private manner. The only reason you should be talking to opposing tribe members is to schedule battles.

The voting stage will take place over 48 24 hours after the challenge is over. Players will have the first 24 hours to strategize, and then the last 24 to vote. I'm assuming that since the challenges last much longer than in the show that you will have already have strategized, so to pick up the pace Tribal Council lasts only 24 hours, NOT 48 like in the circus version. You cannot change your vote once submitted. I will not be extending deadlines unless I absolutely have to.

Inactive players who fail to vote will vote for themselves, unless evidence can be provided otherwise as to that person voting for someone else, OR if I deem that self voting would negatively impact the strategy of the game, in which case I will randomize the vote.

-No anonymous nicks will be allowed for the purposes of this game. No impersonating as well. You will be punished if caught.

There will be Discord Channels set up to facilitate tribe discussions. Game related discussion between any group of 2 or more channels must also be accessible by the host; every time you talk game with someone else, the host should be invited to the conversation to gather information that will be revealed at the end of the season as a sort of mini-drama version of the real show.

6. FAQ:
-Q: So this game draws a lot from the TV show?
-A: Yes. A basic knowledge of the format of the game will help you.

-Q: When is the merge, When does the Individual portion start, etc?
Any and all twists will be hidden from the players. However, in the interest of fairness and objectivity, all twists and challenges have been planned out before hand. Since this game is not on television, I have no vested interest in ensuring that the game is interesting for outside viewers. As a result, I will be as consistent as possible in terms of following the plan for the game. However, I do reserve the right to make changes for any reason that I determine necessary to ensure the integrity of the game.

-Q: Will there be Hidden Immunity Idols?
Yes

-Q: How will Hidden Immunity Idols be hidden?
They are hidden so I can't say

-Q: Final 2 or Final 3?
You'll see when/if we get there :]

-Q: Will there be a redemption island?
You'll see when/if we get there :]

-Q: What does the jury base their votes on?
The Jury is free to base their votes on whatever criteria that they believe to be important. There is no objective way to play the game that will guarantee you win; it is up to the Jury to decide that you are worthy of being the winner.

-Q: Should I communicate my thoughts to the host?
Absolutely! Please include me in all conversations, whatever they may be. I am planning to do a "postgame" that will go over what happened at every stage of the game, so any and all logs would be much appreciated.

On sportsmanship:
Look, this game is meant to be fun. The challenges are meant to be fun. That means I don't expect there to be too many problems regarding unsporting behavior, especially since you cannot win the game by winning all the challenges. I don't want to have to host this like an official Smogon Tournament, so I won't. But please do not/avoid as much as possible situations in which I will be forced to intervene and make decisions (eg activity wins and disconnections). If I hear anything regarding things such as ghosting or any type of cheating at all, I will forcibly remove the offending parties from the game AND push for some sort of forum-wide infraction. It's a game. Don't be a jerk.
If necessary, I will enact protocols (e.g. sending in teams and what not) to ensure the integrity of the game. Don't make me do that. I don't want to do that, so let's try our best to be reasonable :]
On activity:
You will get more from this game the more you put into it. By using pokemon battles as challenges, my goal is to make all stages of the game fun. That being said, I cannot force players to be active, as long as they meet the minimum requirements of voting and taking part in the challenges. If possible, I will avoid making substitutions unless absolutely necessary. A player who idles will likely be left in the game unless it is early in the game or I deem it necessary for whatever reason to make a substitution. This game shouldn't take up too much of your time, but it will be a commitment. Do try your best to be active. Thanks :]​

Note that unlike the Circus version of this game, I will host it with a much more focused competitive-spin. Every "battle" challenge will relate to a CAP metagame format of some form (most commonly the current SuMo metagame). Winning the game will still require a social aspect, but there will be little things along the way that will definitely favor smart and perceptive CAP metagame battlers. Unlike the circus game, making it to the end without competitive knowledge will very very hard (though still possible I suppose). In short, this will follow the format of the show but challenges and advantages will be rewarded to those who display good CAP metagame knowledge within the parameters of the game.

I will try my very best to make the game portion (so anything after sign ups are closed) last 39 days, though I'll let tribal council arguments last longer, and if timing isn't working out the game may last longer. I anticipate each "challenge" phase lasting no shorter than 3 days, but if you don't feel like you can schedule a match in 3-4 days then this might not be the game for you. You may squeak by in the game if you miss a challenge or two, but if you anticipate missing more than that then you probably shouldn't sign up. There will be twists in the game that will occur at unknown intervals, but they will be designed so that every player has a "reasonable" amount of time to respond. If you log in and talk to your tribe and alliance at least once a day for 30+ minutes, then things should be fine and you should be in good shape. Missing a day here or there is probably fine, but the more you miss, the harder it will be to win.

Team Conversations are now up, and I believe each team has a discord in addition to a smogon PM that I have created for each team. Please, carefully check that smogon PM. Also, please start your monologues with me! Remember, whenever you find an advantage (a clue, an idol, etc) you are required to share your thoughts of the discovery with me via a monologue.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
The Tomo Tribe consists of reachzero, TraceofLife, LucarioOfLegends, Galvantula Tank, PenQuin, and Kyubics.

The Mala Tribe consists of jas61292, snake_rattler, Okamu, Frat Dude, Marjane, and Granny Pie.

The Plasma Tribe consists of DarkSlay, Snorlax in the way, Broken Phobias, Sundar, GreenGogoatttt, and cbrevan.

I would like all members of each tribe to reply below with what timezone they occupy and what times of the day they generally are able to be online for battle competitions. I probably should have done this in the sign ups, but I absolutely need a day of lag time to make sure everyone has the opportunity to get things set up. Very shortly I will start Tribe conversations on Smogon and it is highly recommended that everyone goes and explores that convo. Of course, I also expect you to have real time chat groups. I highly recommend every tribe creating a discord group and add me to them so I can silently observe. Game-related PMs between alliances or two individuals should also add me so I can observe. Basically, I am the film crew and will be recording all of your actions within the game. Also PM me either here on Smogon or on Discord to give me periodic monologues on your thoughts in the game. Do NOT PM me monologues on PS, since I can lose PS PMs. I highly recommend that you guys don't communicate that much on PS due to the chances of being disconnected and losing logs. Any log or conversation you have regarding the game, I want access :3

The first Tribal Challenge will be posted roughly 24 hours from now. It will essentially be Round Robin style match ups of groups of 3 with 1 member of each tribe facing off against each other. The Tribe with the most individual battle wins will win the challenge. This means that winning 1 match in your round robin group despite someone else winning 2 will still benefit your tribe's total wins. Any player is thus capable of giving their tribe 0, 1, or 2 points, and the tribe with the greatest total points wins the first challenge and will win tribal immunity. If there is a two-way tie for first place, both tribes will win immunity. If only one tribes wins, BOTH losing tribes will go to separate tribal councils. I don't anticipate have another dual tribal council throughout the entire season, but I need to start chopping heads for some other things to work out later. So, while you're introducing yourselves, also send me a list of players numbered 1 through 6; these will determine the Round Robin groups that will face each other.

You might notice that there are a few things a tiny bit different from most Survivor games and some minor details might seem off. I can assure you things are going according to plan and that the game is still very much Survivor. Familiar twists will come, so be prepared.

Last edited:
I live in the Eastern Time Zone (GMT-5) , and can usually play weekdays 3-5 and 9-10, and can usually play Saturdays 12-1 and 6-10, and Sundays all afternoon.
#teamsnek
~<8))))))))))))))))))))))))}>

Last edited:
I live in Mountain Time at the moment (my locale doesn't follow Daylight Savings, so it's actually terrible for scheduling mass group meetings in spring and fall). In terms of playtime, I'm available on weekdays from roughly 8-10 PM MST (10 to 12 PM EST), but that can vary by homework load. On weekends I generally lurk from when I'm awake to when I sleep, so anywhere from 11 AM to 10:30 PM MST (1 PM to 12:30 AM EST). The only exception is Saturdays from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM MST (5:30 PM to 7:30 PM EST), when I will almost definitely not be available.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I'm in MST and can usually be beckoned between 8-11 PM MST (10-1 EST). That is, for now, since my theatre program will be starting soon. Times will likely be tighter later, so I'll keep ya posted.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
EST (GMT -5). Just no Mondays and Wednesdays. Everything else is pretty much good for me at practically any time from 10:00 AM until 12:00 AM, unless I have other obligations.

EDIT: Sorry, my b, fixed the time. But if we're being honest, only US-appropriate timezones matter. B)

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
CST, I try to be on every night when I get home (5:30 to 6:30 is usually when I get on), though I may not be on depending on workload, etc. I'll try my best.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'm CST and I am available weekdays after 6:00 PM. However on tuesdays and fridays I am unavailable as I have wrestling meets. Weekends I am usually chilling out on PS however I may have a wrestling tournement on saturdays.

ok so my time zone is EST bruhs and I'm generally around whenever for battles so I'm easily pretty available. Deadass don't think theres a time were I won't be able to battle. Unless I'm just to lazy tbh.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm PST (GMT -8) and available whenever on weekdays except 3-9 pm Mondays/Tuesdays or 2-6 pm Wednesdays/Thursdays. Weekends are really spotty for me and I generally can't guarantee activity during them.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Galvantula Tank and reachzero I think you're the last two who haven't replied with your timezones, so please do so when you can!

Also, I'd like each tribe to order their players in any way they want (from 1 to 6) so that we have a list of matchups for the quickly approaching challenge round. Please send those lists to me ASAP, preferably in the smogon convos or the discord convos once you've had time as a tribe to discuss the order.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live in New York, so I'm GMT-5, and my best times are 8:30 AM-5:30 PM, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I could probably make time at certain specific other times if necessary.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
The first Tribal Challenge is now under way! All three tribes climb the mountain on the island and arrive at the challenge arena!

Every player will battle two opposing tribe members (one each from the two different opposing tribes). At the end of it, the tribe with the most victories will win tribal immunity and will be safe from tribal council! The losers will have two separate tribal councils and will each vote out a member of their tribe. The match ups follow below and those who did not claim a number will have randomized numbers, but in the case of the Mala tribe only snake chose number 2 so the whole tribe will follow the order given in the tribal introduction post because I'm lazy.

Slot One: Treachzero vs Mjas61292 | Mjas61292 vs Pcbrevan | Treachzero vs Pcbrevan
Tomo: 0 | Mala: 1 | Plasma: 1

Slot Two: TTraceofLife vs Msnake_rattler | TTraceofLife vs PBroken Phobias | PBroken Phobias vs Msnake_rattler
Tomo: 1 Mala: 0 Plasma: 2

Slot Three: TKyubics vs MOkamu | TKyubics vs PSundar | MOkamu vs PSundar
Tomo: 0 | Mala: 0 | Plasma: 2

Slot Four: TLucarioOfLegends vs MFrat Dude | MFrat Dude vs PDarkSlay | TLucarioOfLegends vs PDarkSlay
Tomo: 1 | Mala: 1 | Plasma: 1

Slot Five: TGalvantula Tank vs MMarjane (Activity Win)| MMarjane vs PSnorlax in the way | PSnorlax in the way (activity win) vs TGalvantula Tank
Tomo: 0 | Mala: 2 | Plasma: 1

Slot Six: TPenQuin vs MGranny Pie | TPenQuin vs PGreenGogoatttt | MGranny Pie vs PGreenGogoatttt
Tomo: 0 | Mala: 1 | Plasma: 1

CURRENT STANDINGS:
Tomo: 2 (out of 8 matches played)
Mala: 5 (out of 11 match played)
Plasma: 8 (out of 10 matches played)

Just to make it crystal clear, I'll give an example of how this goes down. If you are Frat Dude in slot four, you will fight LucarioOfLegends in a B01 and you will fight DarkSlay in a different B01. Thus, each player has the potential to earn 0, 1, or 2 points for their team depending on how the matches go. Also just to make it crystal clear again, these are Best of Ones, not Best of Threes.

The battle format will be the current SuMo CAP metagame but with the additional banning of Genesect and Tapu Lele. Do not use Genesect or Tapu Lele. Don't be dicks, be good sports please. If you opponent accidentally brings an illegal team the first time, please give them a second chance to bring a team legal with the above requirements (and if that occurs you may bring a different team when the match restarts so that you don't get CT'd). Replays are positively required to be posted, preferably by the winner of each match.

The deadline is 72 hours from this post, but if needed/if there's a good reason, I will give an extension. Try to schedule your matches ASAP. If matches are completed early then the game moves faster and is much more enjoyable to all.

So, who will win tribal immunity? Will it be a total victory? Who will Bullet Punch their foes into submission in the last turn of the match and come up on top?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)