CAP Team Tune Up - Fix Your Teams Here!

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Idea taken from my favorite PU mod Slowbroth
Approved by jas61292

[Insert Art here]

Welcome to the first ever CAP team Tune Up thread. Have you ever used a lackluster team that just didn't do it for you, or perhaps found a neat core but are experiencing sort of a mental road block in building? If you answered yes to any of these questions then this might be the perfect destination for you.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?

The purpose of this thread is pretty 2 dimensional. Here in the Tune Up thread we are looking to improve anyone and everyone's teams in the best way possible.

Maybe you Popped in the CAP chatroom for a little help on team building but it turns out you didn't really get enough to satisfy your dilemma. Maybe you are to lazy to make a great big RMT (I totally get it). Maybe you just need a more experienced and more knowledgeable player to take a look at your team. If this sounds like it might be you, then try posting that team and we will surely help you out. This thread is a great and easy way for you to play with something you enjoy using, but, at the same time play with a team that is viable. All in all I hope that everyone looking for help can find it here in this thread.

Important: If you are in the chatroom, and you see that someone asks for help on a team but doesn't get the sufficient help that they need, consider directing them here! That way, they feel included and can clearly post their thoughts as well as get a concrete response in return.

Other Information:
  • Note that this is NOT the Teambuilding Shop or CAP Saloon. The Teambuilding Workshop is where you request a Pokemon/core to be built around and the builders build it for you. The CAP Saloon is where you dump teams that you don't need to be edited. The CAP Team Tune-Up, conversely, is where you submit your own team (complete OR incomplete) and the builders will modify, add or replace Pokemon, and fine tune it for you.
  • Expect teams to be tuned up within a few days or so.
  • If you Don't know if we have seen you post check to see if we liked it. If we did chances are we are currently working on it.
  • After the team is fixed up, it will be submitted back to you, and the person/people who worked on your team will explain their edits and changes so you understand how the team works in its new form.
  • The team you Submitted be kept in the archives in case someone else comes with a similar request.

How to Submit
An example submission should look like this:

http://pastebin.com/wdNLgUXj

This team was one of my first Gen 7 teams I created however it didn't and hasn't been doing much. I used the Gen 6 favorite Mega Venusaur and Quagsire core and decided I wanted to give Cawmodore a try. Next I added Tapu Fini for defog support as I figured I had both Steel, poison, and Electric types covered. I then added Tank Chomp and CB Entei. Thinking back I am not quite sure why I even added CB Entei. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with the team and could use some help. Thanks in advance!

1. Simply paste a "pastebin" of the team from Showdown's importable, or paste the importable into a spoiler box/hide box.
  2. Describe in a paragraph the problems you are facing during play testing and state any other comments about the team itself.
  3. Please, please, feel free to add sprites as it makes the post much more physically appealing and more attractive to raters.

Rules
  • Do not expect the team to be tuned-up if it is a "meme"; this is not the thread for that, so don't post it here. A meme team is defined as a team that is bad on purpose or is extremely unviable.
  • Each user is allowed one submission per day and any user found requesting multiple teams will be denied
  • Please at least play test your teams before submitting. We don't want to fix up a team that is haphazardly thrown together with no thought put into the team whatsoever.
  • Provide replays if you can.
  • Be courteous and nice

+++++
[Click the team]

This was a team that I made using a core I got from cbrevan, the core was Tapu Lele + Colossoil, at first colo was going to be the hazard control but after I saw the power of the flame orb I decided against it (burn nerf ftw) so to supplement this I added Mollux. Next I needed a a setter don't ask me what I used though as I've forgotten. After that I added a mon that was gonna abuse the terrain and...well I added Aurumoth! I realised that I had no lele switch in so I added the only good lele counter Magearna, and oh boy does mage do a lot for the team.

After a chat with cbreven I decided to use Marowak-A over Mollux, and since I had no hazard removal and a new setter I decided to add Mantine to the team as I was now weak to Volkraken.

So now I'm gonna talk about the important bits, what I'm weak too Pokemon No. 1 Metagross both AV and Mega, this mon just wreaks havoc on my team, if I don't play well I'm doomed as I have no real switch ins Mantine + Alolawak hate Zen Headbutt and Colossoil, Lele and Magearna fear the Meteor Mash, Auru just can't handle Meta :P Next pokemon on the list is Cawmodore it friggin sweeps once it has set up a Belly Drum my best bet against it is to FB it with Lele but...people call it Focus Miss for a reason so I hate risking it. Last of all almost every other Physical Steel Type.

Phew now that that's done, I hope you guys can help Tune Up my team and make it the best it can possibly be!

Have fun ~KrazyCake
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 96 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Aurumoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Slash

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
Okay KrazyCake

snake_rattler and I discussed your team and we found it to be solid in general. There were a few things to change however.

*Pursuit---> U-turn
Colossoil not running U-turn is not the best the thing to have. With Generation 7 around and all these new threats it has to deal with; the best option to do so is U-turn. With U-turn it can also pick up momentum which makes it easier to bring your other Threats in.

* So Changing to Pursuit to U-turn is optional as Pursuit is also viable on Colossoil as it often times forces switches. I personally feel that giving your team more momentum is better then what Pursuit gives you but that is just me.

Bug Buzz---->Over Heat
Your team, as you said, is quite weak to Steel types. The best way to remedy this was to give Aurumoth Over Heat. This can be deadly with Quiver Dance and can kill a lot of steel switch ins.

Ice beam----> Hydro Pump
Snake and I weren't really sure what Ice beam was hitting that hydro pump didn't already hit with more power.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 96 Def / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Aurumoth @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Overheat

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Slash

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-519045223

Last edited:

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
KrazyCake, I (almost) completely disagree with the previous post. U-turn runs counter to the entire point of Flame Orb Colossoil, which is to do massive damage to stuff. I would suggest Facade > Knock Off (!) (or over Pursuit if Knock Off is too much for you to give up) with an Adamant nature to 2HKO Tomohawk and hit Flyinium Z Landorus-T harder; you aren't terribly weak to Tomohawk as you are now, but you definitely have to look out for Landorus-T--if it comes in on Colossoil, it can do a ton of damage to you.

I do agree with Hydro Pump > Ice Beam on Aurumoth, it just makes a lot more sense.

Finally, I feel that your issue with physical Steel types is largely the result of your choice of Magearna as your Lele counter--I know you love Magearna, so this is probably tough to hear. I think in the long run, you'd be better off using physically defensive Celesteela (which still does really well against Lele) or SpD Skarmory instead. Skarmory would be especially interesting because it would give you a true switch into offensive Tomohawk (you don't have one now), a true switch into Landorus-T, and even perhaps Spikes or Stealth Rock or Defog, giving you more flexibility with the Marowak/Mantine slots. It would also help against Flyinium Z Salamence, which right now you rely on Sucker Punch to beat.

BP

Beers and Steers
reachzero Thanks for Clarifying. I was really back and forth on U-turn vs. Pursuit; I feel that your explanation is adequate. Regarding beating steel types I feel that Skarmory is the best option.

--------------->

The sets you might want to run should look a little like this:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

or

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

This was my first moderately "successful" CAP team in generation 7, achieving 1423 on the ladder (on my alt, BarryAnime) in two and a half days. However, as I'm still adjusting towards the generation 7 meta, I'd really like some advice. I started with the Mega Metagross + Greninja core, and added Buzzwole for a Colo counter, but replaced it quickly with Scizor. Volkraken was added next, as a scarfed sweeper and a nice fire resistance, and I added Kerfluffle for supplementary purposes (PartingShot + U-Turn with Greninja) and to have another decent counter to Cyclohm. Lastly, I added Porygon-Z as a late-game cleaner, due to its excellence in destroying teams where steel types had been taken out.

Since Volkraken was having trouble against many common Pokemon (The Tapus, Mantine, etc.) I replaced it with Mollux. Kerfluffle was getting wrecked by the Tapus and wasn't successful against set-up sweepers, so I replaced it with Clefable.

Counters/Checks to this team:
  • Tapu Koko, if Mollux is down.
  • Mollux, provided that Mollux and Greninja are down
  • Scarfed Lele to some extent
Some Questions:
  • Should I give Mollux a bulky set rather than Scarf?
  • Should I add Magearna instead of Scizor to counter the Tapus?
Thanks for taking the time to read!

Last edited:
Reactions: BP

BP

Beers and Steers
Hey Amitghosh,

reachzero and I worked on your team and found quite a bit of error.

------>

Running scizor and Mega Metagross makes absolutely no sense. They have horrible type synergy and also if you're going to run defog scizor make it the defensive pivot. Furthermore Tapu koko and Tapu Fini run through your team and Pyroak can not only set up rocks but can tank a wide variety of moves.

------>

Running Landorus-Therian was a fairly easy decision to make as Z-Conversion is situational and Porygon Z's speed tier is very bad. Landorus-Therian however finds ease in setting up; It also provides the team with a vital ground immunity. Flynium-Z is also extremely helpful for opposing Pyroak and other flying weak Pokemon.

Expert Belt-----> Choice Specs
Your Greninja set was OK but I didn't really see a need for Expert Belt as Choice Specs is the superior item when it comes to picking up KOs.

Unaware Clefable ----> Magic Guard T-wave Clefable
Immediately thought about making Unaware Clefable into a Calm Mind win con but decided against it as your team could use another Special Wall. Clefable changed to Magic Guard to counter status moves. Thunder Wave is also more desirable as it can cripple more offensive mons such as opposing Greninjas.

Scarf Eruption Mollux---> Bulky Mollux
Bulky Mollux handles hazard removal quite well with its current support. It is also able to pressure the Tapu's and other Fairy type pokemon. Recover obviously gives it a reliable form of recovery instead of Wish Clefable.

I hope this helps out. Enjoy!!

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Poison]

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Mollux @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Sludge Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Fire Blast

Pyroak @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-520005445
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-520000114

Last edited:
Hey, guys. I've been using this team for a good week now, and for my style of play, it's very powerful. However, I know it has flaws, and I would love to have these flaws ironed out as best as they can. Here it is.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mantine @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Aurumoth @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Overheat

Crucibelle @ Crucibellite
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- Wood Hammer

I've found this team to be generally strong, with several juggernauts who have many opportunities to set up and sweep. However, I've found myself having big problems with Trick Room and other sweepers, because my team isn't exceptionally powerful until they setup, so if my opponent sets up first with a Dragon Dance Gyrados or Salamence or a Quiver Dance Aurumoth, I've already lost. I'd love to try and perfect this team, (which I totally stole from somebody. I don't remember who, but it might have been in the CAP Team Saloon) as I've come to like it and even add a few of my own little tweaks to suit myself better.
Thank you very much! (3
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mantine @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Aurumoth @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Overheat

Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- Wood Hammer

Yo, Granny Pie , nice team! So the main issues (As you said) are that your team has issues with TR, sweepers, heavy hitters, and your team also appears to lose again several Steels. I say Steels are a fairly large issue because you rely on passively absorbing their hits with Mantine and Ferro, neither of which can do much in return. Magnezone specifically troubles the entire team. Finally, your team is fairly weak to Pursuit Trappers and Ghost types due to the double Psychic types and several Pokemon with weak Physical defense.

The way I see it, you have three cores. Mantine + Ferrothorn, Tapu Koko + Aurumoth, and Tapu Lele + Crucibelle-Mega. The passive core is good and is what holds your team together right now, but I think it can be improved to help against setup sweepers. Tapu Koko and Crucibelle both seem vital to the team, so keeping them.

I personally recommend switching:

Mantine --> Tapu Fini
Tapu Fini provides quite similar typing compared to Mantine, while packing Defog and no SR weakness. Really just shapes up the SR weakness and gives some more reliable utility. The set runs Scald for burn and STAB, Defog for hazard removal, and Z-Refresh to provide a one-time recovery for Fini in a necessary situation. Finally, I added Toxic so it would play similarly to your Mantine, but you could run Moonblast or Taunt as well.

Ferrothorn --> Amoongus
Amoongus can punish really slow TR sweepers with Spore, while packing Spore and Clear Smog to help deter setup sweepers. It has similar typing synergy, although an extra weakness to Psychic is added. This can be dealt with using my later change suggestions. It would run the normal Spore, Clear Smog, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb. I personally recommend Sludge Bomb since the meta is overrun with Fairies right now, but Hidden Power Fire works too if you badly want it.

Aurumoth --> Choice Band Scizor
Scizor can Pursuit trap the Psychic types that would break Amoongus and Crucibelle, provide priority, and gives another strong physical attacker. Helps improve your matchup against fat special walls like Chansey, while hopefully being able to break Pokemon better that Crucibelle prefers eliminated. It would run standard Choice Band with U-Turn, Bullet Punch, Superpower, and Pursuit. I made the EV spread myself, since there isn't a Banded base form spread in the analysis page anymore. The EVs in the exportable team at the bottom give it maximum attack and just enough speed to outspeed neutral-nature base 50 speed Pokemon (most notably Azumarill). The rest of the EVs are dumped into SpD to allow it to better take hits from the likes of Latios and Tapu Lele.

Tapu Lele --> Gliscor
Gliscor handles Fighting types that Crucibelle doesn't love dealing with, but isn't a direct role replacement for Tapu Lele. Gliscor just helps shape up your matchup with stall and Magnezone, since Magnezone beats a significant portion of the team otherwise assuming you don't play around it. Finally, it can pack good synergy with the passive core's members, in addition to having a good matchup the Choice Band Scizor. I would say run a standard Earthquake, Roost, Swords Dance, and Facade/Knock Off set with Toxic Orb. Facade is to deal better with Mantine, but Knock Off makes you not completely dead against Celesteela. I recommend Knock Off, personally, especially since it provides extra utility.

The final team would end as Tapu Fini, Amoongus, Tapu Koko, Scizor, Gliscor, and Crucibelle. If you want to avoid changing your team as much as possible, there are a few options.

You can keep Ferrothorn, and swap Tapu Fini's last move to Haze. This still remains useful against setup sweepers, but you lose the really nice utility in Spore. You can also keep Mantine, but then the team struggles more with Stealth Rock just generally is weaker on the Physical defense spectrum.

I do highly recommend these changes though and hope they help. Sorry if it doesn't fit your playing style as much anymore, but hopefully it'll work out.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Normalium-Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Refresh
- Defog
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- Wood Hammer

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
This seems really similar to the RMT idea, which I absolutely adore.

http://pastebin.com/K7YBma7e

This is a team I've been using for a bit, with moderate success. This team was originally based around Lucario, but was scrapped and I changed it to an offensive Fluffy Hydragross team. I mostly struggle with a key few things right now, the biggest of them being setup sweepers. I don't have any dedicated ones of my own (I don't use Swords Dance on Marowak much), and have no way to remove their stat boosts. Once they setup, I'm pretty much done for. Colossoil is also a large problem, as if Kerfluffle goes down, most of my team can be beaten by him.

I hope this is enough info, and some help with this would greatly be appreciated!

-LoL

I'm afraid to say I'm still having immense problems with my team. Setup is now even more powerful against my newer, slower team, especially against things like Belly Drum Cawmodore and Azumarill. QD Aurumoth and Dragon Dancers are tearing through my team worse than before, even with the defensive boosts I now have in Fini, Gliscor, and Amoongus. Plus, I now don't have any SRocks. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
And I know NinaHawthorne was working on a Tune-Up for me. I'd love to see the idea(s) they had.
I'm sorry for all my bitchin' and moanin', and I thank all of you for putting your time, effort, and thought into this for everybody. It's really selfless, and kinda inspiring, really.

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
Hey LucarioOfLegends,

Drapionswing and I finished your team! Enjoy dude!

Fire Blast ----> U-turn
Changing Fire Blast to U-turn makes a successful Parting-Turn core. Your stated core of Hydreigon and Kerfuffle is now better because of this.

---->

Alola Marowak wasn't doing much for your team besides acting as a Tapu Koko counter. Your team had much bigger issues that Alola Marowak simply could not fix. Your team was lacking a rocker and a nice solid stall breaker. Taunt Heatran was the best option for this as it performs better at setting up rocks. It can take many special attacks and use the opportunity to set up Stealth Rock, or spread status which can hurt opposing set up sweepers. Heatran also works well with your balanced team.

----->

So your team was super weak to Ground not only this but you lacked a Ground a check. Plasmant simply added to this overwhelming Ground weakness and was not a Ground check either. Tapu Bulu took care of both of these problems with it's decent Typing and it's ability, Grassy Surge. Grassy Surge reduces the damage done by certain Ground moves such as Earthquake. Also Tapu Bulu acts as a fast wallbreaker as its held item is Choice Scarf.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Kerfluffle @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sludge Wave
- Parting Shot

Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rebound
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Hey LucarioOfLegends,

Drapionswing and I finished your team! Enjoy dude!

Fire Blast ----> U-turn
Changing Fire Blast to U-turn makes a successful Parting-Turn core. Your stated core of Hydreigon and Kerfuffle is now better because of this.

---->

Alola Marowak wasn't doing much for your team besides acting as a Tapu Koko counter. Your team had much bigger issues that Alola Marowak simply could not fix. Your team was lacking a rocker and a nice solid stall breaker. Taunt Heatran was the best option for this as it performs better at setting up rocks. It can take many special attacks and use the opportunity to set up Stealth Rock, or spread status which can hurt opposing set up sweepers. Heatran also works well with your balanced team.

----->

So your team was super weak to Ground not only this but you lacked a Ground a check. Plasmant simply added to this overwhelming Ground weakness and was not a Ground check either. Tapu Bulu took care of both of these problems with it's decent Typing and it's ability, Grassy Surge. Grassy Surge reduces the damage done by certain Ground moves such as Earthquake. Also Tapu Bulu acts as a fast wallbreaker as its held item is Choice Scarf.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Kerfluffle @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Aura Sphere
- Sludge Wave
- Parting Shot

Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rebound
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
I disagree with the change from Plasmanta to Tapu Bulu. The team needs good answers to Fairy-types, and Plasmanta can provide that while also having really great coverage. Instead, I'd suggest changing Colossoil to defensive Tomohawk. The team has trouble with set-up sweepers, and defensive Tomohawk can stop them while also providing Rapid Spin support. This also helps with the Colossoil problem that the team faces.

The team imo should be Hydreigon / Kerfluffle / Mega Metagross / Tomohawk / Heatran / Plasmanta. You might consider putting a Choice Scarf on Plasmanta to beat up Tapu Lele without having to rely on Mega Metagross, but that's a personal preference.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This seems really similar to the RMT idea, which I absolutely adore.

http://pastebin.com/K7YBma7e

This is a team I've been using for a bit, with moderate success. This team was originally based around Lucario, but was scrapped and I changed it to an offensive Fluffy Hydragross team. I mostly struggle with a key few things right now, the biggest of them being setup sweepers. I don't have any dedicated ones of my own (I don't use Swords Dance on Marowak much), and have no way to remove their stat boosts. Once they setup, I'm pretty much done for. Colossoil is also a large problem, as if Kerfluffle goes down, most of my team can be beaten by him.

I hope this is enough info, and some help with this would greatly be appreciated!

-LoL
This team has a number of issues, enough so that I wonder about the process of how this team was assembled. Let's start from the most glaring issues.

Lack of wallbreaking

This team is distressingly weak to stall; Marowak and Colossoil are the only Pokemon on the team that can break Chansey, but AV Rebound Colossoil lacks the firepower needed to put a debt in Chansey's teammates.

Lack of speed for an offensive team

Kerfluffle is slower than Tapu Koko and Greninja, and the Hydreigon, Plasmanta and Colossoil are built to be "fast"when they have middling speed tiers, at the cost of lacking bulk. The result is a series of deadly weaknesses to fast Pokemon.

Super weak to Cawmodore

Caw sets up on Plasmanta, and right now you have nothing to stop it.

Hydreigon is a high-risk, low-reward threat

For a Dark type to be successful in CAP, it has to be able to really hurt Colossoil and Tomohawk, like Greninja or Hoopa-U. Choiced Draco Meteor is extremely risky with the threat of the Tapus, and Tapu Fini in particular is a major issue for Hydreigon. A lot of the time you'll end up clicking Flash Cannon, which is suboptimal unless you predict right every time.

The first and most important suggestion I have is to change Plasmanta to Scarf, with HP Fire instead of HP Ice to cover Cawmodore. This will help you a lot against faster sweepers.

Change Rebound to Guts on Colossoi, go to a bulkier spread, and use Pursuit over U-turn. Guts with Pursuit will help you a ton against stall, the greater bulk will help against Aurumoth, and you'll generally get a lot more utility.

Change Hydreigon to Swords Dance Flyinium Z Landorus-T. It's extremely splashable, okay against Colossoil, and hard on stall. A very high reward, low risk Pokemon that maintains the Ground immunity that you want and need. A similar and equally powerful alternative would be Flyinium Z Salamence, which is a less bulky but an absolute nightmare for offense to deal with.

As a minor adjustment, I feel HP Ground for Mollux is more useful for Kerfluffle than Sludge Wave, since Moonblast hits the Tapus and your Fighting STAB hits Pyroak reasonably well anyway.

Try these adjustments out, I believe they'll help a lot!

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Broken Phobias
The heatran in your importable isn't stealth rock? And Kerf should always run HP ground now.

I don't think a change from Colossoil to Tomohawk is necessarily a good change as it takes away the offensive momentum this team had and wants.

Plasmanta is bad right now don't use it especially scarf because locking yourself into an electric or poison move is never a nice thing to do. There's literally 1 fairy that it "walls" that your other 2 steels can't wall safely and that's Magearna not only this but despite having Storm Drain Plasmanta is still a bad water check only really allowing you free momentum versus more defensive waters like Pelipper or Toxapex however this leaves you extremely weak to the likes of Greninja or Keldeo which are much more problems for this team which is why Scarf Tapu Bulu is, in my opinion, a much better option than scarf plasmanta.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Broken Phobias
The heatran in your importable isn't stealth rock? And Kerf should always run HP ground now.

I don't think a change from Colossoil to Tomohawk is necessarily a good change as it takes away the offensive momentum this team had and wants.

Plasmanta is bad right now don't use it especially scarf because locking yourself into an electric or poison move is never a nice thing to do. There's literally 1 fairy that it "walls" that your other 2 steels can't wall safely and that's Magearna not only this but despite having Storm Drain Plasmanta is still a bad water check only really allowing you free momentum versus more defensive waters like Pelipper or Toxapex however this leaves you extremely weak to the likes of Greninja or Keldeo which are much more problems for this team which is why Scarf Tapu Bulu is, in my opinion, a much better option than scarf plasmanta.
Perhaps not on this team, but Plasmanta isn't as bad as you say. It's a very specific wallbreaker that, yes, has trouble with many of the Steel-types that roam the metagame, but it's really hard to switch into an LO set of Thunderbolt, Sludge Wave, Psyshock, and Hidden Power Ice. Not that Plasmanta's viability should be a point of contention in this thread, but I wouldn't say that it's bad and you shouldn't use it. Also Keldeo is pretty much nonexistent in this metagame.

BP

Beers and Steers
Alright guys listen I have been tearing my hair out left and right trying to find a solution to this team. I have literally spent hours trying to fix it on the weekends and I have finally lost my sanity. My two loses to sparktrain and my loss vs. snake_rattler really just killed my last shred of patience and hope. I spent the weekend on this team instead of studying for exams... So like please tune this team up just honestly take an honest look at it and do something please.

Bust a Load (Arghonaut) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 220 Atk / 88 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

Splashable (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Core Of The Core (Pyroak) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 126 Def / 4 SpA / 126 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

The Dutchess (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

King DMX (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Volkraken (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Flamethrower
- Power Gem
- U-turn

Okay so here goes nothing... The core of this team was Pyroak Arghonaut and Landorus-Therian. These three have great type synergy and pivot a lot. Tapu Fini is my defogger obviously because it works as one of the best defoggers in the game currently. Metagross-Mega is kind of self explanatory in the sense that it fucking rocks and kills a lot of things. Finally the 6th slot mon is always a mystery as i've gone from Scar Garchomp, to Scarf Lele, and finally to Scarf Volk. I know this is a half ass description but trust me I am mentally drained from dealing with this team.

Last edited:
Hey Broken Phobias, I did some laddering with your team as posted, and here's what I found. I do like your choice of offensive mons; Z-Fly Lando-T and Mega Metagross are both very potent offensive threats in the current metagame. Overall, you have a decent balance squad going, however, the main issues lie within your defensive/supporting core. If your team loses momentum against opposing offense, your defensive backbone is compromised and you risk getting swept. The team also has some issues with stall, which I'll cover in a bit. Here are the biggest threats:

First off, the team is heavily threatened by Electric-types. Although Landorus-T has an immunity, it can't be relied on to check Electric-types since Tapu Koko, Plasmanta, Rotom-W, and even Cyclohm as of late tend to run coverage that straight OHKOes it. On a team with 3 Pokemon weak to Electric, this leaves Pyroak as the team's main answer to Electric-types, which is problematic for a few reasons. Plasmanta is a huge threat to the team due to its ability to hit Pyroak with super effective STAB, and things like Tapu Koko can put immense pressure on the team with Volt Switch, which can wear down Pyroak quickly if hazards are on the field.

Certain Steel-types, particularly Celesteela and Mega Metagross, also pose a decent threat. Celesteela straight up walls 4/6 of the team, it can Protect to see what Volkraken decides to lock itself into, leaving Pyroak as the main answer to it. Pyroak is also the safest answer to opposing Mega Metagross at the moment. Your own Mega Metagross has trouble touching it, and Volkraken can only switch in safely one time.

I don't think Pyroak is the issue with the team. Pyroak is just expected to cover way too much. Rather, I think that Arghonaut is ultimately the weak link. In terms of the things it checks, a majority of them are already covered by Tapu Fini (not quite everything, but I'll get to that). Essentially, Tapu Fini provides useful support and checks stuff while Arghonaut checks mostly the same stuff and keeps itself alive. Arghonaut is a slacker, so it's probably best to switch it out for something more helpful so that Pyroak doesn't break its back trying to carry the team.

With all that in mind, here are the edits I made with reasoning:
Ditch Arghonaut for Fidgit - Fidgit provides a more reliable answer to Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Plasmanta, which eases Pyroak's burden immensely. You can add more bulk to reduce the chance for a 2HKO from HP Ice, but I haven't found it necessary yet. I opted for a more offensive set with STABs, Tailwind, and U-turn. This takes advantage of lazy people forgetting that Fidgit is also capable of attacking (not to mention it's 100x better as a Mega Crucibelle check), and it provides 6 turns of Tailwind support, giving SD Lando-T and Mega Metagross a legitimate shot at sweeping. Also lessens the need for Rock Polish on Lando-T. Here's the set:
Fidgit @ Black Sludge
Ability: Persistent
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- U-turn

Move Stealth Rock to Lando-T, give Pyroak Earth Power - Pyroak has trouble keeping rocks up against stall. While it can threaten to burn Mega Sableye, it loses its Leftovers in the process (which hampers its longevity), and even if it does force Mega Sableye out, it can't use SR safely because its Lava Plume is so pitifully weak it risks Mega Sableye switching back in and bouncing them. Since Lando-T doesn't need Rock Polish as much now, it can function as the SR user, and it's able to pressure Mega Sableye, Tomohawk, Colossoil, and many other things that try to prevent/remove hazards with SD, making it an arguably superior choice. This frees up a slot on Pyroak to run another move. I chose Earth Power to surprise things like Mollux, Heatran, and Cyclohm, though you could conceivably put something like Leech Seed or Aromatherapy there as well.

Give Pyroak more physical bulk - Now that Pyroak isn't expected to sponge Volt Switch all the time, it can focus on doing its main task even better: walling Mega Metagross. A Bold nature and a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD allows it to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Metagross's Zen Headbutt even under Psychic Terrain.

Scald -> Nature's Madness on Tapu Fini - Quite simply, this increases your team's stallbreaking capabilities. Combined with Taunt, you can chunk walls and prevent them from healing up, which is helpful to facilitate a Mega Metagross or a Landorus-T sweep.

Ice Punch -> Thunder Punch on Mega Metagross - Ice Punch isn't particularly needed on Mega Metagross for this team; you have several other methods of checking opposing Garchomp and Landorus-T through a combination of Tapu Fini, Choice Scarf Volkraken, and your own Landorus-T (and Meteor Mash can still chunk them in a pinch if necessary). Thunder Punch helps out with your Celesteela problem, puts huge pressure on stall teams that rely on Skarmory as the Mega Metagross answer (hi), and ensures Airwind doesn't sweep your with his Gyarados.

Here's a replay showing the revised team in action. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-528132197
Unfortunately, all Mega Metagross does is die, but it shows off stallbreaker Tapu Fini and offensive Tailwind Fidgit pretty nicely.
And here is an importable with the edits:
Fidgit @ Black Sludge
Ability: Persistent
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power
- U-turn

Splashable (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Core Of The Core (Pyroak) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

The Dutchess (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

King DMX (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Volkraken (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Flamethrower
- Power Gem
- U-turn

I hope this was helpful, good luck with the team!

Hello! Airwind kindly directed me here for help tuning up and getting ready to play with my first CAP team. Without further ado, here it is...

Landorous-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Chumba Wumba (Kerfluffle) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Moonblast
- Parting Shot
- Energy Ball

Mega Man (Manectric-Mega) @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Da Chief (Tomohawk) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

Mothra (Aurumoth) @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Quiver Dance
- Blizzard

The idea was a VoltTurn core of Mega-Manetric, Kerfluffle, and Landorus-T, where I could shuffle those three in and out at "no cost" while cutting my opponent's attack. This would hopefully allow me to pivot and gain free turns to eventually set up Quiver Dance Aurumoth and then clean house. Tomohawk is currently on the team since it seemed to desperately need a way to clear hazards as well as have just a strong defensive 'mon to pivot into for some chip damage from Rocky Helmet + Roost spam.

Because I'm so new, I have no idea if this is a solid foundation. I am wondering if three "Turn and Burn" mons is one too many and if so, which one to cut (probably MegaMan though). I also don't know who my sixth should be, or if there's a better cleaner to take advantage of this momentum than Aurumoth. A few things I considered...

- Fidget as the sixth, or instead of Tomo: To set up Tailwind for Auru as well as act as a stallbreaker or Wish-passer.

- A strong special wall; currently my team is insanely punishing to physical teams with the intimidate and rocky helmet but risks getting blown the hell up by powerful special attackers like Volkraken and Greninja. I have strong electric attacks to kill them, but that seems dicey. Blissey or Chansey were my first thoughts but Toxapex is on the list too.

So help is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)