CAP Updates: Aurumoth Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I support Spotlight, Psychic Terrain, Lazer Focus and Smart Strike fully, as they have little / no competitive use for Aurumoth and for flavour reasons stated prior.

Infestation is a great flavour option and I am suprised it had so much backlash. Infestation isn't even good on paper - much less practice. Many sweepers have trapping moves, but usually they are a waste of a moveslot. Trapping moves are only useful when they can also function outside of the trapping aspect and be used as suitable STAB ir coverage. Decidueye wouldn't be functional in UU if Spirit Shackle was 20 BP. Thousand Waves wouldn't be a useful option in BH if it didn't have its relatively high BP. And Magma Storm would be ass on Heatran if it was an Infestation clone. Trapping moves ala Infestation have been on mons with setup options long before Aurumoth was a concept and it wasnt ever useful. Aurumoth certainly cannot afford the moveslot to run it. This shouldn't be an argument.

Dazzling Gleam, however, has reason to be hesitated, but still when thought on, carries little competitive impact. Auru already has No Guard Focus Blast and STAB Bug Buzz for Darks and STAB Psyshock for Fighting types, so Dazzling Gleam doesn't improve its matchup against them. Auru has never faced problems against Dragon types and could nuke them with Ice Beam / Blizzard if it wanted to. The one and only matchup that is improved is against Mega Sableye, and not only does it still struggle to beat it if not TG, but makes it more liable to be beaten by much more relevant threats its more powerful coverage options would threaten. I see nothing wrong with adding it - its a shiny, golden, magical, Psychic type special attacker that also learns Tail Glow. That strikes off so much boxes in the flavour department for Dazzling Gleam it would be a violation of policy not to add it.

So for me, Spotlight, Psychic Terrain, Lazer Focus, Smart Strike, Infestation and Dazzling Gleam is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright everyone, we've had some good discussion going on, so I'd like to say my piece on the moves mentioned so far and get us moving.

First off, after thinking about this long and hard, I've come to the conclusion that if a move could theoretically find a use on to a set, we should not be allowing it onto Aurumoth's new movepool. For starters, we've already established that Aurumoth's extensive movepool already has enough coverage and setup options, and we won't be adding any more competitive move to it. With this in mind, I'll go through the moves people have brought up so far.

Starting with the moves that didn't make it, First Impression is a powerful priority move and could easily see use on mixed LO sets. Similarly, Dazzling Gleam has been shown to ease the matchup against Mega Sableye to a degree, and although it fits flavour wise, I have to say no towards including it in our movepools. Lastly, Fell Stinger could have some use on Dragon Dance sets to muscle through would be checks after a kill, and we really don't need to be giving Aurumoth its fourth setup option.

I think everything else people have brought up in the thread can be identified as flavor moves for Aurumoth. Non-attacking moves such as Spotlight, Laser Focus, and Gravity have no place on any Aurumoth set and are allowed. Additionally, Smart Strike and Infestation have some potential, but given Aurumoth's movepool and the way neither moves impact its matchup to a noticeable agree, I've decided to allow them. Similarly, Psychic Terrain is allowed because its largely outclassed by Aurumoth's setup options. Lastly, Lunge is allowed because it is effectively a slightly stronger X-Scissor, which sees next to no usage on Aurumoth due to Megahorn.

Now that is out of the way, I'd like to open this thread up for movepool submissions. Here you'll have the chance to post an updated movepool for Aurumoth that, as long as it follows the guidelines set in this post, will have the chance to become Aurumoth's official new movepool. Those guidelines are as follows:
  • No move from Aurumoth's existing movepool may be omitted. That means all of these moves need to be in your submission.
  • No new competitive move may be included. This includes the three above mentioned moves (Dazzling Gleam, First Impression, Fell Stinger), as well as new coverage moves or stronger variants of existing coverage, as well as anything else with competitive merit. I'll be monitoring submissions closely to ensure this guideline is followed.
  • Keep your focus on Gen 6 and Gen 7 moves when adding new moves. I won't ban move additions from Gen 5 and earlier, but if you do choose to include them you will need to have clear flavour reasoning behind it.
  • Universal TMs that have been released since Aurumoth's creation must be included. These moves are Confide, Secret Power, and Sleep Talk.
I'd like to have a movepool poll up by the weekend and Aurumoth finished by the next week, so lets see those movepool submissions!

Final Submission

- Psychic Terrain
- Dragon Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Tackle
- String Shot
- Silver Wind
- Sunny Day
7 Silver Wind
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Ominous Wind
34 Will-O-Wisp
41 Final Gambit
47 Ancient Power
54 Wish
61 Healing Wish
67 Tail Glow
I feel the original movepool has quite a complex flavour (see its original submission post) which I wouldn't want to alter too much. Therefore, I decided to only add Psychic Terrain to underline Aurumoth's unearthly presence. This also gives Aurumoth three Heart Scale moves, fitting with its biblical motif.

Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Fairy Wind
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Speed Swap
Wing Attack
Fairy Wind fits with Silver and Ominous Wind and should be way too weak to be useful as Fairy coverage. Speed Swap represents Aurumoth's concept as a sacrifical guardian (again, see its original movepool submission), and is consistent with moves as Skill Swap and Ally Switch. Both can be inherited from Cutiefly.

TM03 Psyshock
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM76 Struggle Bug
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide
The flavour of Infestation and Smart Strike has already been discussed. Steel Wing was not available as a TM in G5 and fits Aurumoth's metal wings. Calm Mind was somehow skipped in the original submission, but it's almost universal among Psychic-types, fits Aurumoth's theme and is completely outclassed by Quiver Dance (outside Trick Room, I guess); there's also precedent (Ninetales and Baltoy/Claydol) for Pokémon gaining it in later generations. Sleep Talk and Confide are universal.

Ally Switch (G5 TM51)
Cut (G5/6 HM01)
Retaliate (G5/6 TM67)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)
Telekinesis (G5 TM19)
Secret Power is universal, no changes otherwise.

Bug Bite
Electroweb
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Recycle
Role Play
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Snore
Skill Swap
Trick
Water Pulse
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt

All added tutor moves are available in ORAS.

Shock Wave and Water Pulse are simply weaker versions of current coverage, both with some kind of mystical flavour. The others were already available in B2W2 and were not included in the original submission (possibly due to movepool limits?), but I think they are viable options:
- Snore is pretty much a universal tutor and has no competitive merit.
- Signal Beam is very common among special Bug-types as well as especially fitting on a light-based bug, and is mostly outclassed by Bug Buzz. Note that every real Pokémon with Tail Glow gets it.
Both moves have the precedent of being gained as a tutor move by some old Pokémon in generations after they were first available as a tutor (most (all?) Pokémon with Insomnia/Vital Spirit get Snore in ORAS but not B2W2, Goldeen and Trapinch get Signal Beam in B2W2 but not in HGSS, just to name a few).

---

I have decided not to include some of the newer moves that were discussed, such as Spotlight and Laser Focus, due to their low current distribution and therefore somewhat unclear flavour (e.g. Starmie is light-based and has Spotlight while others like Volbeat and Ampharos don't).

Some more moves I have considered but ultimately discarded due to them potentially being too beneficial:
- Leech Life: somewhat common among Bug-types, but would give Aurumoth some kind of active recovery.
- Gravity: fitting flavour-wise (note that it is naturally learned by Arceus among others), especially considering Telekinesis, but it would allow Aurumoth to emulate No Guard without actually having No Guard (also its Z version raises special attack by one).
- Nature Power: fits into Aurumoth's elementalist theme, but turns into Moonblast under Misty Terrain.
- Iron Defense: is another nod to Aurumoth's golden wings; I guess Aurumoth has much better stuff to do than trying to boost its Defense but due to its decent bulk I fear this might end up being too useful.

Finally, as purely a consistency point, I would like to bring attention to Snore: while useless, it is pretty much a universal tutor, not learned only (?) by special cases like Metapod and Wobbuffet and (only prior to ORAS bar a couple cases) Pokémon with sleep-preventing abilities. As Aurumoth is not one of these special cases, should Snore count as compulsory?

Last edited:
WIP

0 Laser Focus
0 Psychic Terrain

0 Dragon Dance
0 Quiver Dance
0 Tackle
0 String Shot
0 Silver Wind
0 Sunny Day
7 Silver Wind
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Ominous Wind
34 Will-O-Wisp
41 Final Gambit
47 Ancient Power
54 Wish
61 Spotlight
Healing Wish
74 Tail Glow

With such a diverse movepool already, I wanted to be as minimally invasive. I tacked both Psychic Terrain and Laser Focus as starting moves, since all Pokemon who get these moves by level up (save for Kartana and Laser Focus) get them at level one. Psychic Terrain is self explanatory for flavor, and I feel Laser Focus fits because most Pokemon that get it seem to have ability to sense aura (Mewtwo and Lucario especially), and it makes sense give Aurumoth's name and typing. Spotlight makes sense for the glowing bug. The only reason that I included later on and shifted level up moves around a little is because I did not want to give Aurumoth too many starting moves. Additionally, most pseudo-legendaries learn moves up and into the 70s levels. I kept the same numbering motif, so the slight edit should not be too drastic.
Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Speed Swap (Cutifly)
Wing Attack

Again, minimally invasive. I added Speed Swap because it seems like a natural fit for Aurumoth, given its Psychic typing and access already to Ally Switch and Skill Swap.
TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide

Other than the universal TMs (Sleep Talk and Confide), I included Infestation, Smart Strike, and Steel Wing. While Infestation and Smart Strike have already been discussed at length, Steel Wing has not, however, since Aurumoth literally has metal wings, it makes clear sense to include this.

Ally Switch (TM 21, Gen 5)
Cut (HM 01, Gen 5 & 6)
Flash (TM70, Gen 5)
Retaliate (TM 67, Gen 5)
Secret Power (TM94, Gen 6 ORAS)
Struggle Bug (TM 76, Gen 5)
Telekinesis (TM 19, Gen 5)

Included Secret Power as a universal TM, otherwise no updates here.

Bug Bite (Gen 5 & 6)
Electroweb (Gen 5 & 6)
Helping Hand (Gen 5 & 6)
Icy Wind (Gen 5 & 6)
Magic Coat (Gen 5 & 6)
Magic Room (Gen 5 & 6)
Recycle (Gen 5 & 6)
Role Play (Gen 5 & 6)
Skill Swap (Gen 5 & 6)
Shock Wave (Gen 6)
Trick (Gen 5 & 6)
Water Pulse (Gen 6)
Wonder Room (Gen 5 & 6)
Zen Headbutt (Gen 5 & 6)

The only thing I thought was notable to include from ORAS was Shock Wave and Water Pulse since most Pokemon that get Thunder and Hydro Pump get both these moves, and they are competitively useless anyway.

Comments or concerns are welcomed before I submit this as a completed product. Other moves I considered include Gravity, Iron Defense, Snore, and Signal Beam but because they were omitted from the original movepool and were available in Gen 5, I decided to avoid controversy and did not include them.

Last edited:
WIP

Level-Up Moves
- Psychic Terrain
- Spotlight
- Laser Focus

- Dragon Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Tackle
- String Shot
- Silver Wind
- Sunny Day
7 Silver Wind
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Ominous Wind
34 Will-O-Wisp
41 Final Gambit
47 Ancient Power
54 Wish
61 Healing Wish
67 Tail Glow

All three of the moves added are learned at level 1 by various Pokemon like Starmie, Lucario, Musharna and Beheeyem.

Egg Moves

Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Speed Swap (Cutiefly)
Fairy Wind (Cutiefly)
Wing Attack

Speed Swap is useless outside of Doubles, and Fairy Wind doesn't deal with anything that Aurumoth can't deal with already.

TM Moves

TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM76 Struggle Bug
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide

All of these TM moves are the same as what everyone else has said. Not much to add.

Tutor Moves
Bug Bite (Gen 5 & 6)
Electroweb (Gen 5 & 6)
Helping Hand (Gen 5 & 6)
Icy Wind (Gen 5 & 6)
Magic Coat (Gen 5 & 6)
Magic Room (Gen 5 & 6)
Recycle (Gen 5 & 6)
Role Play (Gen 5 & 6)
Skill Swap (Gen 5 & 6)
Shock Wave (Gen 6)
Trick (Gen 5 & 6)
Water Pulse (Gen 6)
Wonder Room (Gen 5 & 6)
Zen Headbutt (Gen 5 & 6)

Again, not much to add here. Shock Wave and Water Pulse has been explained in other posts.

Old TMs
Cut (HM 01, Gen 5 & 6)
Flash (TM70, Gen 5)
Retaliate (TM 67, Gen 5)
Secret Power (TM94, Gen 6)

Once more, not much here.

Last edited:
Final Submission

0 Dragon Dance
0 Quiver Dance
0 Spotlight
0 Tackle
0 String Shot
0 Silver Wind
0 Sunny Day
7 Silver Wind
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Ominous Wind
34 Will-O-Wisp
41 Final Gambit
47 Ancient Power
54 Wish
61 Psychic Terrain
Healing Wish
74 Tail Glow

I've added Psychic Terrain into level up by shifting the last two moves down and continuing the pattern of 4-1-7 established in the leveling trend to accommodate the extra move. I personally liked the position because it breaks apart the Wish and Healing Wish, which is more aesthetically pleasing to me than having two wish moves right next to each other. The move itself fits in perfectly with Aurumoth's overall mystique and otherworldly feel. I've also added Spotlight as a starting move. The move itself fits because of the giant light on Aurumoth's rear end, which could be used to spotlight other Pokémon.

Bug Bite
Electroweb
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Recycle
Role Play
Skill Swap
Snore
Trick
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt

Snore is here because it was basically universal pre-Gen 7. No other changes.

Cut (HM 01, Gen 5 & 6)
Flash (TM70, Gen 5)
Retaliate (TM 67, Gen 5)
Secret Power (TM94, Gen 6)

Secret Power was universal, hence Auru gets it here. Cut is also here, since it isn't a current TM-distributable move. No other changes.

Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Lunge (Mothim)
Megahorn
Safeguard
Wing Attack

So I added Lunge. I know people commented on it as potentially useful, but that assertion ignores the fact that Aurumoth literally has a 100% accuracy Megahorn; and as has been established, that is likely going to be the more dominant ability, so it's not like No Guard Megahorn is a radical assumption. Lunge is a perfect fit with the long spindly horns off of Auru's head, which match up with the longer protrusions seen on the mons that already get it, such as Pheromosa and Araquanid. It's learned by Mothim as well, the other moth Pokémon, so I honestly don't see why Aurumoth couldn't get the move for flavor reasons.

TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide

Added Sleep Talk and Confide, because they're universal, and also moved Surf into the TM slot to accommodate for HMs no longer existing in Gen 7. Infestation is another addition; Aurumoth is a giant moth, a type of bug that is known to infest things. It makes logical sense. Smart Strike is also in there due to the fact that Aurumoth has horns and that part of its body is already metallic, so it isn't too far of a stretch to see the inclusion.
-
I'll briefly go over my reasoning on some moves that I have NOT added to the movepool:

Fairy Wind - As I mentioned initially, if Dazzling Gleam cannot be added, it breaks the overall flavor reason for having another fairy move. Dazzling Gleam cannot be added, so I elected not to add this either.
Laser Focus - I just don't see this. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I personally don't care for it. It seems to poignant and directed for Aurumoth's more mysterious nature, if that makes any sense.
Gravity - This to me edges too closely to No Guard's territory. I understand that you could theoretically use this move to have good accuracy, powerful moves, and Weak Armor, but I overall just see it as trying to do what No Guard already does, but in a worse way. Flavorfully speaking, I think that it just makes sense to have No Guard be the special way in which Aurumoth can control accuracy, and it should just be left at that.
Steel Wing - Auru's wings are made of gold. Steel is an alloy of Carbon and Iron. Alchemists are supposed to turn other metals to gold, not the other way around...
Speed Swap - It's currently only learned by a sparse set of mons with no real connection other than them being pretty speedy. Aurumoth isn't speedy, so I feel it would break the current trend of distribution a bit to include it.

Last edited:
Final Submission

1- Dragon Dance
1- Quiver Dance
1- Tackle
1- String Shot
1- Silver Wind
1- Spotlight
1- Sunny Day
7- Silver Wind
14- Sunny Day
21- Heal Pulse
27- Ominous Wind
34- Will-O-Wisp
41- Final Gambit
47- Ancient Power
Ev.- Psychic Terrain
54- Wish
61- Healing Wish
67- Tail Glow

-Spotlight was included as a Level 1 move, as Starmie and Clefable learn it at Level 1 too.
-Psychic Terrain was included as an move that Aurumoth learns upon evolving, as it shows its newfound mastery over its psychic powers.

Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Wing Attack

No changes here, after all it's not uncommon not gaining any egg moves after 2 generations, and there was nothing that needed to be here.

TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM68 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide

Only four new moves added:
-Steel Wing: Even if Aurumoth wings were not made of gold, it's still a standard move for winged Pokémon.
-Infestation is a natural fit for a Bug-type.
-Sleep Talk/Confide are universally learned moves.

Bug Bite
Electroweb
Helping Hand
Icy Wind
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Recycle
Role Play
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Snore

Skill Swap
Trick
Water Pulse
Wonder Room
Zen Headbutt

-Signal Beam is a move that was excluded for the original movepool, but I decided to add it, as it was an obvious move for Aurumoth to learn, and in fact there is a precedent in Scolipede and Escavalier for Bug-type that don't learn this in BW2, but later can in ORAS.

-Snore is another omission of the current movepool, and the only mons that couldn't learn it were the ones with the sleep preventing abilities Vital Spirit and Insomnia, and even they can learn it in ORAS, so I think this is the same situation as Double Team with Voodoom.

-Shock Wave/Water Pulse are moves that were made available in ORAS, and Aurumoth fits with them, as it already learns their more powerful versions in Thunderbolt and Surf.

Ally Switch
Cut
Flash
Retaliate
Secret Power
Struggle Bug
Telekinesis

Only addition here is Secret Power, a universal TM in ORAS.

Notable omissions:

Fairy Wind: Of all the suggested moves, this one is the one I dislike the most. The only non-Fairy Pokemon that learns this is Jumpluff, and it is on the Fairy egg group. Aurumoth shouldn't get this move just because it already learns Silver/Ominous Wind.

Laser Focus: It's not a bad move, but I don't think it's needed.

Smart Strike: This move has an extremely limited distribution for a TM and a lot of horned mons like Heracross, Stanler and Xerneas can't learn it, so I don't believe Smart Strike has a place in this movepool.

Speed Swap: Another move with very limited distribution, and as it was mentioned before, mons that learn this tend to be very fast, and Aurumoth 94 base speed its not enough.

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
We've gotten a good number of movepools in the thread so far, so I'd like to remind everyone that we're aiming to get these movepools finished by Friday. Consider this a 24 hour warning to get your Final Submissions in. As far as finishing up goes, I encourage everyone to include reasoning for each individual move addition.

Final Submission

0 Laser Focus
0 Psychic Terrain

0 Dragon Dance
0 Quiver Dance
0 Tackle
0 String Shot
0 Silver Wind
0 Sunny Day
7 Silver Wind
14 Sunny Day
21 Heal Pulse
27 Ominous Wind
34 Will-O-Wisp
41 Final Gambit
47 Ancient Power
54 Wish
61 Spotlight
Healing Wish
74 Tail Glow

With such a diverse movepool already, I wanted to be as minimally invasive. I tacked both Psychic Terrain and Laser Focus as starting moves, since all Pokemon who get these moves by level up (save for Kartana and Laser Focus) get them at level one. Psychic Terrain is self explanatory for flavor, and I feel Laser Focus fits because most Pokemon that get it seem to have ability to sense aura (Mewtwo and Lucario especially). Given Aurumoth's name and typing, I would assume it can too. Spotlight makes sense for the glowing bug, and I included it later in the movepool, similar to Shiinotic. Additionally, most pseudo-legendaries learn moves up and into the 70s levels. I kept the same numbering motif, so the slight edit should not be too drastic.
Bug Buzz
Close Combat
Counter
Disable
Feint
Hydro Pump
Megahorn
Safeguard
Speed Swap (Cutiefly)
Wing Attack
I added Speed Swap because it seems like a natural fit for Aurumoth, given its Psychic typing and access already to Ally Switch and Skill Swap.
TM03 Psyshock
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM50 Overheat
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM81 X-Scissor
TM83 Infestation
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide
Other than the universal TMs (Sleep Talk and Confide), I included Infestation, Smart Strike, and Steel Wing. While Infestation and Smart Strike have already been discussed at length, Steel Wing has not, however, since Aurumoth literally has metal wings, it makes clear sense to include this. Most Pokemon with any sort of wings can use Steel Wing, so the fact Aurumoth has gold instead of steel wings is not really an issue.

Cut (HM 01, Gen 5 & 6)
Flash (TM70, Gen 5)
Retaliate (TM 67, Gen 5)
Secret Power (TM94, Gen 6 ORAS)
Included Secret Power as a universal TM, otherwise no updates here.

Bug Bite (Gen 5 & 6)
Electroweb (Gen 5 & 6)
Helping Hand (Gen 5 & 6)
Icy Wind (Gen 5 & 6)
Magic Coat (Gen 5 & 6)
Magic Room (Gen 5 & 6)
Recycle (Gen 5 & 6)
Role Play (Gen 5 & 6)
Skill Swap (Gen 5 & 6)
Shock Wave (Gen 6)
Signal Beam (Gen 5 & 6)
Snore (Gen 5 & 6)

Trick (Gen 5 & 6)
Water Pulse (Gen 6)
Wonder Room (Gen 5 & 6)
Zen Headbutt (Gen 5 & 6)
I added Shock Wave and Water Pulse since Aurumoth already has Thunder and Hydro Pump, and most Pokemon that get the latter also get the former. All the rest were kept the same from Gen 5. Snore is basically universal, so I included it. Every Pokemon with Tail Glow also got Signal Beam, so I included that too.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who submitted a movepool. Secondly, of the five movepools submitted, four of them were tagged as Final Submissions, and as I could find nothing rulebreaking in them, they will be slated for the poll. That slate will be as follows:

Menshay
Okamu
mxmts
RishRaff

The first movepool poll will be up shortly.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
With the latest poll, mxmt's movepool won with over a 50% majority. As such, we have finished Aurumoth's updates a day earlier than predicted. To recap, these updates resulted in the removal of Aurumoth's secondary ability Illusion, which was then replaced by the flavour ability Light Metal. Furthermore, Aurumoth received an updated movepool that can be seen in this post. Notably, Aurumoth picked up the moves Spotlight, Psychic Terrain, Steel Wing, Infestation, Sleep Talk, Confide, Signal Beam, Snore, Shock Wave, and Water Pulse. Apart from these additions, Aurumoth received no further changes to it's movepool. All in all, we did a good job here. Thank you to everyone who posted and got this where it needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)