Celesteela Discussion

I think Everyone is in agreement that the of her moves should be Heavy slam. Earthquake. and Seedbomb. The last slot depends on if you use it as an Assault vest user or not.

If you do, Fire Blast, Explosion. Sadly the only stand Flying move she gets are Fly, Air Slash, and Acrobatics, and none seem ideal.

If you wanted to use a different item the otions open up. Automize has been mentioned to let it become a late game sweeper. Leech seed is a nice semi healing option and a nice move for stally teams. Toxic is always a solid choice as well.

All in all it has quite a few options and all of them good. A nice solid OU pokemon probably

Idk if she's solid OU tbh... She may become the poor man's Skarmory of UU. Her stats are a bit TOO well rounded, she lacks real recovery, but her movepool is alright and her typing is, of course, the best a Pokémon would hope for.

Celesteela will have an hard time becoming a threat in OU, she may find some niche over Skarmory thanks to her typing that resists about anything but in particular because she's now the only Pokémon with this typing alongside great offensive movepool and offenses. Being neutral to Stealth Rock and being immune to both grounded Spikes is very good and will help her longevity as she comes in, take a resisted hit, and fire back with either a strong AF Heavy Slam or just annoy her checks with Leech Seed etc. This is what I see for this intriguing, and surely interesting Pokémon : Great UU, niche OU choice. The meta will tell us.

It's a steel type that can fill other steel types with ease. I cannot stress how valuable such a combination is as a dedicated UU player. It will definitely have home somewhere.

Not to mention the way the stats are set up, it can pick and choose what Beast Boost it wants. Attack, Defense, Sp.A or Sp.D....in the end it will all depend on how you eve train it. A wall that gets bulkier the more it kills by stalling or an attacker that gets stronger with each kill it claims... Both are pretty frightening thoughts to consider...

Im really trying to figure out a good doubles moveset with this thing, to fill a anti-Fairy space in my team, seems Heavy Slam to be a must choice, but what do you think about a Special based on set to avoid intimidate and burn? on the other hand seems most vgc used fairy mons will be spd based too..
Wide ward seems appealing too, instead of protect? or loosing coverage like EQ or seed bomb?

Here my first post! ;)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm very interested in Celesteela for Battle Spot singles, since in that metagame, Skarmory only works on very specific stall teams. I sort of want to use it like a bizzaro Ferrothorn, by Leech Seeding stuff. Its nice to have another Garchomp check too, though I fear Fire-type moves will become more common in a response to Kartana. Still though, with Heavy Slam, it should be a nice Mamoswine check as well!

I am actually considering going mixed with it too for one reason: As long as Celesteela avoids a +2 LO Sacred Sword, it might be able to check Kartana in emergencies!

I'll make

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Jolly, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Seed Bomb
- Flame Charge

work in OU, mark my words. You can Flame Charge against a ton of stuff - after one Flame Charge, you outspeed base 115s. Fire Blast 2hKOs Skarmory even when when you're Jolly, but you're walled by bulky waters without Seed Bomb, so maybe pairing it with some Magnet Pull and going all physical would be the better option.

I think its saving grace is the combination of fire blast and leech seed, both of which compliment a powerful steel STAB. Otherwise, while it is decent, skarmory outclasses it defensively and many other mons like mega metagross are outclassing it offensively. But this mon is just screaming for a utility move in the last slot. stealth rock, spikes, something.. I'd probably end up using something along the lines of:

Heavy Slam, Fire Blast, Leech Seed, Protect/Earthquake.

aiming to rely on high BP moves to make up for a lack of investment, while leech seed and leftovers keep it healthy since nothing that is immune to leech seed (clefable, grass types) enjoys taking heavy slam or fire blast. It is naturally resilient when it comes to hazards and status being toxic immune, and dodging spikes, and leech seed is very likely to work, so it should be able to stay around for a while. I just wish it had more of a role to stay around to actually DO lol, like set rocks or defog or something

Celesteela @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 68 HP / 208 Atk / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Wide Guard
- Protect
- Explosion

Doubles cash!!! Possible Aegislash competitor, and perfect since it got good synergy with Landorus-T, allowing it to be safe against Blizzard (Hail) and EQ w/out needing it's partner to use Wide Guard or Protect. EV'd to OHKO Doubles Sub+CM set of Sylveon and survive LO Thundurus's Thunderbolt. Explosion offer more offensive presence.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm sure someone probably thought it would be an interesting idea if they based a Pokemon on the tale of Princess Kaguya, but they probably didn't imagine this: bamboo rocketship pricess. Sure.

Stats are very rounded, offense and defense are just above 100, HP just below, though Speed isn't looking too good even for Trick Room.

It has STABs, also gets Giga Drain, Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Energy Ball, Brutal Swing, and Stone Edge/Rock Slide. For utilities there's Wide Guard, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Autotomize, and Iron Defense.

There doesn't look to be one specific thing it does so I guess do what you want with it. A wall that can attack, an attacker with good bulk, just remember that Speed probably means it'll go last (unless you want to try and Autotomize). From design to movepool, they certainly got the weirdness down on this one.

EDIT: WHOA! This thing is huge (and heavy)! I guess it really is a space ship...

It's just such a great glue for bulky offense.
A set of
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Impish, 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed/Fire Blast
counters Tapu Lele, the occasional other Fairy, some Dragons, Sand Offense and the physical version of Rain Offense all at once while still offering a tad of momentum with Leech Seed (which you could replace with Fire Blast and a Relaxed nature if you want to act a bit more offensive against Steels, but Leech Seed's recovery is too good to pass up).

I am looking forward to this 'Mon for one reason (and honestly, it's the main reason I believe this will see use in OU). Often when team building, a Steel-Flying type oils have been so useful as glue/part of a balanced core, but Skarmory was just passive as shit. You could use ininvested Iron Head or Brave Bird, or use Spikes. Really not appealing on a BO or Balanced team. Now you can fill the role of Skarm (less so without recovery), and have something that can actually do something aggressive/proactive.

I am looking forward to this 'Mon for one reason (and honestly, it's the main reason I believe this will see use in OU). Often when team building, a Steel-Flying type oils have been so useful as glue/part of a balanced core, but Skarmory was just passive as shit. You could use ininvested Iron Head or Brave Bird, or use Spikes. Really not appealing on a BO or Balanced team. Now you can fill the role of Skarm (less so without recovery), and have something that can actually do something aggressive/proactive.
Thats one reason that drew me to her. I originally had Oricorio PomPom since I needed a ground immunity but it gave me so many weaknesses. Once I saw this rocket princess' typing I was sold, even before seeing the stats and moves, which is even better!

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Has anyone considered mixed Celesteela? Something like...

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Air Slash
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Other options:
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Assault Vest
- Weakness Policy
- Airium Z (Flying Z-move)

Thoughts?

Has anyone considered mixed Celesteela? Something like...

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Air Slash
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Other options:
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Assault Vest
- Weakness Policy
- Airium Z (Flying Z-move)

Thoughts?
Its an option for sure. Space ship Kaguya does have a few things it can do, and a mixed attacker is one. Its not the best mixed wall, but its solid and offers good coverage. I think you could switch the moves around slightly to hit more pokemon with SE attacks. Right now according to the type calculator, which doesn't factor in SuMo pokemon yet, that set lets you hit 444 pokemon SE. This however lets you hit 558 SE

@Assault Vest
Heavy Slam
Air Slash
Earthquake
Giga Drain

You only don't hit flying electrics and flying steels well, but all but skarmary don't like taking a Heavy slam from Kaguya. Plus Giga Drain gives you Sustain. I like this set, but I myself for my team am probably going to go the physical set with Leech seed for more harrassment.

So, as it's main competition will be Skarmory let's check what this weird rocket bamboo thing has going on for it.

Calcs only for damage reference, I'm not stating that Steela (you heard it here first) counters or checks these mons. Btw I forgot to set the mons to lvl 100, so all these calcs are considering lvl 50.

Physically defensive:
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 103-123 (50.4 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 84-100 (48.8 - 58.1%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 139-165 (68.1 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 186-220 (108.1 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Specially defensive:
252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 130-154 (63.7 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 102-120 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 102-120 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 126-148 (73.2 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive presence (Steel and Flying moves):
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 69-82 (39.4 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Celesteela Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 45-54 (25.7 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 Atk Skarmory Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 39-46 (22.2 - 26.2%) -- 9.4% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 58-69 (33.1 - 39.4%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

So in short, when fully invested in Defense, it is only a tad less physically bulky than Skarm, while with the same spread it's spdef prowess blows the bird out of the water.
When fully spdef invested, the gap in physdef is more noticiable but the ability to take special hits is not even comparable between the two.
Regarding the offensive presence, I'll admit I expected a larger difference but it is still much less passive than metalbirb.

I expect it to be played more like a pivot in balance / bulky offense teams, as without recovery it's not expected to wall everything the entire game. Think Spdef Jirachi.
It can check a lot of new threats such as Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Magearna, Kartana plus old ones like Landorus-I/T, Pinsir, Altaria, Clefable, Gardevoir, and the list goes on.
Definetely OU viable but maybe not OU by usage because of competition.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Its an option for sure. Space ship Kaguya does have a few things it can do, and a mixed attacker is one. Its not the best mixed wall, but its solid and offers good coverage. I think you could switch the moves around slightly to hit more pokemon with SE attacks. Right now according to the type calculator, which doesn't factor in SuMo pokemon yet, that set lets you hit 444 pokemon SE. This however lets you hit 558 SE

@Assault Vest
Heavy Slam
Air Slash
Earthquake
Giga Drain

You only don't hit flying electrics and flying steels well, but all but skarmary don't like taking a Heavy slam from Kaguya. Plus Giga Drain gives you Sustain. I like this set, but I myself for my team am probably going to go the physical set with Leech seed for more harrassment.
Right.
Maybe if we could fit gravity in there somewhere as well - that set would actually have max coverage.
Also I don't think this thing appreciates MagPull - so maybe Shed Shell?

Right.
Maybe if we could fit gravity in there somewhere as well - that set would actually have max coverage.
Also I don't think this thing appreciates MagPull - so maybe Shed Shell?
Gravity is neiche but could work. As for MagPull you have EQ to wreck them as long as they don't have an Air Balloon

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
As for MagPull you have EQ to wreck them as long as they don't have an Air Balloon
About that...

248+ Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 268-316 (78.1 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 480-566 (143.2 - 168.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

shrugpony_shulk_by_rinkara-d50oo6d.png

About that...

248+ Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 268-316 (78.1 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 480-566 (143.2 - 168.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

View attachment 73529
248+ Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 360-424 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I don't know which of us got a wrong result, but for Celesteela's sake, I hope it's you. ;p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)