ORAS Doubles OU Choice Band + Symbiosis + Swagger + Persim Berry + Instruct + Rain + Araquanid Gimmick

This is my first post on any forum ever so hopefully there's no hate towards my upcoming messy and unprofessional formatting. I'll try my best.

(credit to Alexalan for art)​

I was thinking about new strategies that I could use with Araquanid, since I was using it in a singles battle with the Choice Band with rain up and it did so much damage. I then created this strategy and tried it out.

I threw this team together pretty quickly after I got the first three pokemon down. The last three were just what I felt worked on the team. The main gimmick of the team lies within the first three pokemon.

The strategy:

Lead: Pelipper & Latias
Turn 1:
-Pelipper sets up the rain with drizzle, and u-turns out instantly to oranguru.
-Latias uses Tailwind.
Turn 2:
-Oranguru uses Swagger on the Latias slot
-Latias switches to Araquanid
(-Araquanid gets x2 attack and confused, Persim berry activates, symbiosis gives araquanid the choice band. Araquanid has 786 attack and a 340 power move with tailwind up and instruct by his side)
Turn 3: (Modifiable)
-Araquanid uses Liquidation
-Oranguru uses instruct
-Araquanid uses Liquidation.
(scroll down for damage calcs)
Turn 4+ Up to you.

For anybody who doesn't know, Instruct allows the teammate to use its attack twice in one turn.

Team:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

1/2 of the lead. Pelipper sets the rain for the team and his damp rock is used to fully abuse the rain with Araquanid. For the strategy to work, it is best to u-turn first turn, since all this pokemon is needed for is the rain. U-turn into Oranguru. Other moves are for coverage and utility late game.

Oranguru @ Choice Band
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Reflect
- Instruct
- Swagger

First turn this thing comes in from Pelipper, I would swagger our latias, but switch latias into Araquanid so that he gets the 2x attack, and then the persim berry activates, and the Oranguru gives the Araquanid Choice Band due to Symbiosis. From there it's just spam instruct. Sassy nature and 0 speed IVs allows Oranguru to be slower than Araquanid, allowing it to successfully instruct the first time. The other moves are there for coverage or if you want to predict a fake out on the Araquanid.

Araquanid @ Persim Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Protect

The King. The God. The Araquanid. Don't disrespect this man. Everyone does it. Water Bubble boosts his Liquidation to 170 BP, and persim berry is there for the Oranguru's swagger. Realistically speaking, we have a 2x Attack pokemon with choice band, so 786 attack. Liquidation is 170 BP, and rain and STAB boosts it to 340. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that it will attack twice due to instruct.

Here are some damage calcs:

(VS. TANK CHOMP) +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp in Rain: 1434-1687 (666.9 - 784.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(VS. COMMON BULKY PRIMAL KYOGRE) +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 180 Def Primal Kyogre in Heavy Rain: 807-950 (389.8 - 458.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(Max HP Max Def Mega Aggron because why not) +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aggron in Rain: 351-414 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(VS. MAX DEF CRESSELIA) +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia in Rain: 577-681 (129.9 - 153.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(This is hypothetical, but Jirachi has 100 Base Defense so I set it to +6 defense and max defense and hp) +2 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. +6 252 HP / 252 Def Jirachi in Rain: 180-213 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO
But wait...

These are all just one hit...

>instruct

double those calcs.
(IT HITS TWICE)

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Here is where the filler mons come in. The moves here are simply for damage and support late game.

Latias @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Pulse
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Helping Hand

Latias is the other 1/2 of the lead along with Pelipper. First turn he should use tailwind for the God Spider. Late game his job is to keep Araquanid alive and doing damage with Heal Pulse and Helping Hand. Tossing a Tailwind in is a good idea as well.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

A late game sweeper I decided to throw on as it does benefit highly from the rain. Modest nature due to swift swim, and with the rain this hits very hard.

Importable:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Araquanid @ Persim Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Oranguru @ Choice Band
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Reflect
- Instruct
- Swagger

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Latias @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Pulse
- Psychic
- Tailwind
- Helping Hand

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Here is one of the first times I tried this team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankdoublesou-481114326
He decides to boost with Magnetic Flux to +3 on two pokemon, they both nearly get one shotted by Araquanid. I did get haxed pretty hard which is unfortunate, but the point of the replay is to illustrate the strategy and the damage it can do.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions.​

Last edited:
SuMo Doubles OU is barely a week old, and I'm glad that you're enjoy the new meta-game. However, there are some threats that are quite irrelevant to meta-game and several threats that you should more than likely look into. Not to mention that Doubles is a completely different from Singles metagame. Still, I don't want to discourage you and other players from trying new/improved mons, so I will not recommend any replacements unless your current ones are undoubtedly outclassed or seems misplaced in your team. For example, you included calculations for Primal Kyogre, which is banned in the metagame, and additional ones for Mega Aggron and Tank Garchomp, which no experienced player uses.

One thing is clear, and it is that you want to make use of Rain in your team. Politoed used to be the only Rain setter, but I have interest on how Pelipper will turn out. In contrast to Politoed, it serves as an immune pivot to Ground type moves and as a Wide Guard user, which stops spread moves from damaging your team. However, Pelipper is too slow to use U-turn and is better off with Protect. I also recommend Hydro Pump over Scald for greater damage output. And to complement Pelipper, you have Kingdra, a Swift Swimmer, which is fine for eliminating threats such as Scarfed Kyurem-Black, Zygarde-Complete, and Mega Salamence. The only change that I would recommend is for it to use Ice Beam over Hydro Pump; this is to take out the recently unbanned Shaymin-Sky.

Rest of your mons seems to be out of place (no offense). Although Thundurus was a great mon in the ORAS (Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire) era, another interesting mon came into recent view. That mon is Tapu Koko, which is naturally faster and stronger than Thundurus. Yes, it will be vulnerable to Earthquake / Earth Power, but you already have mons that can switch into such moves and eliminate such threats. However, I really see no need for Araquanid or Oranguru on your team. Rather, they look out of place in the team. These two mons are too slow and don't have the bulk to survive two mons at once. Not to mention, they don't have any appropriate supports for them either. Also, I don't recommend using Choice Band on a mon that mostly uses Status moves. To be honest, I would replace them for Scarfed Landorus-T and Mega Gengar for better coverage. This duo is also perfect for putting significant amount of damage to new threats such as Magearna, Tapu Lele, and Necrozma.

For your last mon, I recommend that you use Heatran. Latios, which is preferred over Latias, arguably had a diminishing role in the ORAS metagame and is perhaps still losing influence. Having an additional Dragon type makes you more vulnerable to Fairy types, too. As of result, I suggest that you use Heatran. Under Rain, you are guaranteed to KO Ferrothorn with Flamethrower. Having an additional Overheat allows you KO Jirachi and Aegislash-Shield as well. Not to mention, Steel (defensive) typing will help you a lot when needed. But by no means is my suggestions the best option. After all, the SuMo (Sun and Moon) metagame is barely one week old, and we need some time until we can define what's truly good in the metagame. An importable based on my suggestions are obtainable below. HF~

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Pelipper @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Wide Guard

Kingdra @ Life Orb
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Rain Dance

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Overheat

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)