[COMPLETED] Alakazam

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP Check Gary2346
Add
Remove
Comments

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Alakazam is one of the best revenge killers in the game.</li>
<li>Magic Guard makes it immune to all forms of residual damage.</li>
<li>It is very fast; base 120 Speed lets it outspeed most of the metagame.</li>
<li>Still possesses a high Special Attack stat and a good movepool.</li>
<li>It is very hard to switch into.</li>
<li>Alakazam now has a faster, more powerful Mega Evolution to use.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Alakazam is very frail physically.</li>
<li>Most Pokemon with priority can check Alakazam quite easily.</li>
<li>Psychic typing leaves it vulnerable to common Dark-, Bug-, and Ghost-type attacks.</li>
<li>Its Mega Evolution loses Magic Guard and the ability to hold a Focus Sash.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Special Attacker<br />
move 1: Psyshock<br />
move 2: Focus Blast<br />
move 3: Shadow Ball<br />
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire<br />
ability: Magic Guard<br />
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb<br />
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid</p>

<p>With a Focus Sash and the ability Magic Guard, Alakazam is guaranteed to take at least two hits. Psyshock is Alakazam's STAB move of choice to hit Poison- and Fighting-types, and it is able to hit Pokemon like Blissey and Goodra witwith a higher Special Defense stat, such a higher Special Defense stats Blissey and Goodra, harder than Psychic. Focus Blast provides mandatory coverage that Alakazam needs in order to beat Tyranitar and potentially Ferrothorn. Shadow Ball allows Alakazam to hit otherpposing Psychic-types and Aegislash, whileand it can potentially revenge killing it the latter if Alakazam's Focus Sash is still intact. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire comes down to personal preference; the former hits Dragon-types and Gliscor while the latter OHKOes Scizor and Ferrothorn.</p>

<p>This set is specifically designed for revenge killing, so there aren't many other options it can run without hindering it in some way. A Life Orb can be used to bump up the damage output significantly and allows Alakazam to become more of a hard hitter, but it becomes much less reliable at revenge killing. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, but Alakazam loses out on valuable coverage. Because Alakazam will primarily be used for revenge killing, entry hazards work well alongside it to make its job a lot easier. Klefki, Skarmory, and Forretress are good users of Spikes that have great defensive synergy with Alakazam. Physical attackers such as Aegislash and Blaziken are perfect for breaking through special walls likethat wall Alakazam, such as Blissey, Chansey, and Tyranitar that wall Alakazam.</p>

[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]

<p>name: Mega Attacker<br />
move 1: Psyshock<br />
move 2: Focus Blast<br />
move 3: Shadow Ball<br />
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire<br />
ability: Trace<br />
item: Alakazite<br />
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid / Modest</p>

<p>Mega Alakazam is much faster and much more powerful than its regular form. Although it lacks the ability to revenge kill certain Pokemon, it now packs an insane amount of power and can outspeed almost everything in the OU tier. Mega Alakazam is best used as a late-(hyphen)game cleaner, as it is able to easily clean up most teams once its checks and counters are gone. It also has the advantage of outspeeding Pokemon that regular Alakazam can't, such as Mega Gengar and Weavile. Psyshock offers nice coverage against Poison- and Fighting-types,(RC) while hitting Blissey, Chansey, and Goodra harder than Psychic. Focus Blast is specifically for Tyranitar and Ferrothorn who wall this set otherwise. Shadow Ball is used to hit Psychic-types and Ghost-types such as Trevenant and Gourgeist for super effective damage. Hidden Power Ice hits Dragon-types such as Garchomp and Dragonite hard while Hidden Power Fire can KO Scizor on the switch-in.</p>

<p>A Timid nature is preferred so that Alakazam can outspeed every single Pokemon in the OU tier,(RC) while and also Speed tyingie with Mega Aerodactyl and otherpposing Mega Alakazam. A Modest nature is perfectly viable though, as it allows Alakazam to clean up more efficiently. Calm Mind can be used over Shadow Ball to make boost Mega Alakazam's Special Attack to astounding levels, but it loses out on valuable coverage. Substitute is useful for keeping priority users such as Scizor and Azumarill from revenge killing it, but once again,(AC) it will miss the coverage that Shadow Ball gives it. Keep in mind that Mega Alakazam ironically faces competition from standard Life Orb Alakazam, as they both have similar power, but it doesn't take up the Mega slot. The key advantage here is Mega Alakazam's huge Speed stat, which gives it the edge over faster Pokemon. Trace is also a useful because it allows Mega Alakazam to revenge kill weather sweepers such as Kingdra, Excadrill, and Venusaur. Keep in mind that it can't outspeed the turn it Mega-(hyphen)Evolves, but it can any turn after that. Mega Alakazam appreciates entry hazards just as much as its regular counterpart. Klefki, Skarmory, and Forretress can set(space)up Spikes and have good defensive synergy with Mega Alakazam. Pairing Mega Alakazam with powerful physical attackers such as Garchomp, Blaziken, and Aegislash to break through special walls can make it much easier for Mega Alakazam to clean up.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Both Alakazam and its Mega counterpart share very similar checks and counters. One of the best hard counters out there has got to be Sableye, because it's immune to both of their Psychic-type STAB and Focus Blast, while taking little damage from Shadow Ball. Blissey and Chansey both avoid the 2HKO from Alakazam's Psyshock and can threaten to cripple it with Thunder Wave the following turn, but only Chansey can avoid the 2HKO from Modest Mega Alakazam's Psyshock. Scizor is a great check if both areAlakazam is running Hidden Power Ice, while Gliscor, Dragonite, and Garchomp can check the Hidden Power Fire variants relatively well. Both forms of Alakazam are extremely vulnerable to priority moves due to their pitiful physical bulk. Scizor, Mega Absol, Mega Lucario, Talonflame, Aegislash, Metagross, and Azumarill can all OHKO both forms of Alakazam with their respective priority moves. Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp can outspeed and KO Alakazam with pretty much any of itstheir moves.</p>

Very well done ^-^

GP Approved 2/2
Thanks Rohail! The only thing I didn't implement was the "[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]" because that would go against SevenDeadlySin's new layout (treating the mega just like another Alakazam set instead of an entirely seperate entity.)

This is done again!

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Rohail! The only thing I didn't implement was the "[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]" because that would go against SevenDeadlySin's new layout (treating the mega just like another Alakazam set instead of an entirely seperate entity.)

This is done again!
Yeah sorry about that :o Also, don't forget to remove the <p> and <br /> tags from under the sets, as they aren't necessary.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah sorry about that :o Also, don't forget to remove the <p> and <br /> tags from under the sets, as they aren't necessary.
I'm not so sure about that either though. It doesn't say anything about getting rid of them in SDS's post, and on top of that, everyone else seems to be keeping these tags even after updating the format. I'm just going off of what QC is doing, and by the looks of it, QC is sticking to the tags.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Just gonna ask, shouldnt Blaziken be scrapped as a teammate the couple of times its mentioned in the analysis, as its banned, and replace it for an available wallbreaker?

Gary

Just gonna ask, shouldnt Blaziken be scrapped as a teammate the couple of times its mentioned in the analysis, as its banned, and replace it for an available wallbreaker?
Yeah I must have missed that when editing out Mega Gengar the other day. I replaced the Blaziken mentions with Lucario.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Scizor, Mega Absol, Mega Lucario, Talonflame, Aegislash, Metagross, and Azumarill can all OHKO both forms of Alakazam with their respective priority moves.
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 229-270 (91.2 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 136-160 (54.1 - 63.7%)
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 228-270 (90.8 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 157-186 (62.5 - 74.1%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 169-199 (67.3 - 79.2%)

?

Disable should be a filler option on something so fast. It also beats Sucker Punch, which fails on the same turn, and is Disabled.

Last edited:
I put barrier on Mega Alakazam and it's helped a lot. Mega Alakazam trace could be a blessing or a curse. For one you have a chance of getting another good ability like Magic Bounce, Arena Trap, Volt Absorb, Protean Ect. However you have chance of getting a crappy ability like Huge Power (I'm not calling Huge Power a bad ability, but it's bad for Alakazam) and of course. . . . . .Truant. The great amount of speed Is the only reason you should use Mega Alakazam over life orb and maybe the little boost in Defence (I believe that little boost in defense actually makes him live a shadow sneak from a 252 Atk Adamant Aegislash, I'm not sure). Mega Alakazam checks Weavile which LO Zam can't. Im also waiting for Update for XY that boosts Mega Alakazams Sp. Def by 10 to make it base 105 because for some stupid as* reason Mega Zams base total stat is only higher by 90 than Normal Zam unlike all the other Megas that got their base stat higher by 100. All in all I think Mega Alakazam is quite Amazing and I think it's better than LO Zam. The only thing LO Zam has over Mega Zam is not wasting a Mega and a higher Sp. Atk than Timd Mega Zam. However Modest Mega Zam is probably better than timid, Not including Scarf and Speed Boost only 9 Pokemon Outspeed Mega Zam. 7 if you count Deoxys as one Pokemon. Deoxys Ninjask Mega Aerodactly Accelogor Electrode Mewtwo Y Mega Manetric. If you don't won't to Outspeed those Pokemon then you will have the 3rd Best sp. Atk and best sp. Atk out of any non legend in the game being Modest. I don't think he is wasting a Mega Spot, sure there are better out like Kangaskhan and Mawile but Zam is worthy PKMN to Mega Evolve. He is the worst nighmare of his ghost kin Mega Gengar. He can check Mega Blaziken/Blaziken if he traces speed boost(which if he does then he will really over powered.) He is definitely a better Mega then Medicham and Gardevoir. Plus .....dat amazing beard. Also I need an Opinion, I made a really crappy for Mega Zam, but it's been sweeping teams that don't have dark types...... The set is Psychic/Barrier/Calm Mind/Recover. 252 Def 252 HP 4 SP. Atk. This M Zam even trace M Khans Parental Bond, seted up with Barrier, and 1 calm mind, ate up Sucker Punch then KO with Psychic. Anyway that's what I have to say. P.S. You can check Mega Mewtwo and Mewtwo with shadow ball depending on what EV and Stats you have. Also I would describe Mega Alakazam as a MUCH better Deoxys-Attack.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 229-270 (91.2 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 136-160 (54.1 - 63.7%)
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 228-270 (90.8 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 157-186 (62.5 - 74.1%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 169-199 (67.3 - 79.2%)

?

Disable should be a filler option on something so fast. It also beats Sucker Punch, which fails on the same turn, and is Disabled.
Aegislash should use swords dance the first turn, take a shadow ball from Mega Alakazam then shadow sneak, because if the first shadow sneak doesn't kill then M Alakazam will OHKO with Shadow Ball because it's stuck in Blade Form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)